4-0

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: 4-0

In response to CHEisCHE's comment:

Although it's ony 4 games & if this is true...then it must be credited to DUDDER not PUD

+1

My spiritual adviser and BBall mentor.... the Dudder's epitaph will surely one day read,  "Frequently wrong but never, ever in doubt!"

Pud 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

add in the recent win over the Knicks and we've beatened the Heat, Clippers and Knicks all w/o superstar...

Now we lost Sully.. thats gonna hurt...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

In response to cabutan's comment:

In response to stillallbost08's comment:

it's amazing how good a team can look when they home games against 2 very bad teams and a clips team w/o their best player. the heat game on the other hand was a great, well deserved win.

is not the competition, is the way they are competing. Very different. Yes the Clips are without their PG but then again, arent they suppose to be better than the C's specially with Sullinger and Rondo out???  This is NOT the same team we saw most of the first half of the season.

Good post!! Dont sweat some of these other posters that believe Rondo is the greatest player in the history of sports no matter what...  You hit the nail on the head, its the way they're competing.... anyone that cant see that is blind

It also magnifies how weak Doc is as a coach. He allowed Rondo to drag the offense down to sooth his super ego. He allowed Rondo to play lazy, poor defense cause DOcs intimidated by Rondo and cant criticize the diva..

Now that Rondo is out, Doc fell into the right game plan... as usual Doc finds success by stumbling into it. Dont be surprised he messes up a good thing either...

Now that we're playing good, exciting ball.. making a push towards the playoffs in spite of losing Sully... expect something to possibly disrupt it.. maybe KG getting traded or even just the rumor flying around about it///

Finally a team we can enjoy watching! Like I said, I dont know if its coincidence or not (R9R not being there ) but this is what we were expecting with depth.. And those who keep bashing poor Collins, I think he does the small things that Wilcox wouldnt do. It is all working out. We need a few bench additions entering playoffs and we should be fine. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

Dare I say that the last 4 games has been more reminiscent of Laker's Showtime than Rondo's Slowtime.....Staring Jeff Green as James Worthy !!!!!  Man that 1st step to the hole brings me back.....

Did you see that hook shot..I didn't realize he had that from that far out!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

From Gary Dzen of the Globe:

Paul Pierce looks energized, Jason Terry reborn, Jeff Green unleashed. Maybe it is all just a coincidence. Or maybe it has something to do with the absence of the petulant Rajon Rondo.

The Celtics held on by their oversized shoelaces for a 106-104 win over the Los Angeles Clippers at the TD Garden on Sunday, Boston nearly torching a lead as big as 19 with five minutes to go in the third quarter. And yet, when all was said and done, the Celtics improved to 4-0 since losing Rondo to a season-ending knee injury, which cannot help but make one wonder about addition by subtraction.

"It's 'The Truth,' " Kevin Garnett told reporters when asked about the late-game heroics of Paul Pierce, who rained a step-back 3-point in the kisser of Clippers defender Matt Barnes to lock down the victory with 2.5 seconds left. "He's the original Celtic. We go how he goes."

My, how quickly things change. For the bulk of this season, Garnett and the rest of the Celtics repeatedly told us how Rondo was their new leader, their soul, their heart. Now Rondo is gone and the Celtics look and sound as unified as they have ever been, regardless of what waits at the end of this season.

Here's the thing about being a fan of any team, be they the `86 Celtics or the `13 Bobcats, the '27 Yankees or the '12 Red Sox: all you can ever really ask is that they max out. Anyone with half a brain recognizes that the Celtics are in the sixth year of three-year plan. People can delude themselves into thinking that the Celtics ever had a chance at a championship this year, but the goal has always been to go as far as LeBron James (or possibly Derrick Rose) would let them.

The Celtics aren't going to win the championship without Rondo this year and they weren't going to win it with him, either. But they are now playing better team basketball than they have at any other point this season and they infinitely more likeable, a combination that makes them far more entertaining, particularly to those of us who have long felt Rondo is, well, overrated.

For those who watched the first half of Sunday's victory, here's what you say: a brilliant demonstration of team basketball that bordered on the scintillating. Ten Celtics stopped on the floor in building a 59-40 lead. All of them scored and contributed at least one rebound or assist. Nobody reached double figures. The Celtics moved the ball, played defense (at least in the second quarter), ran. James Naismith was glowing.

Was the entire game like that? No. But for the last week, the Celtics have generally given maximum effort, shared the ball, played to their potential. They look a little like the Indiana Pacers of a year ago. The most damning blow the Celtics have suffered in the last week or so has been the loss of Jared Sullinger, whose absence on Sunday was a significant reason the Clippers dominated the paint, sometimes dunked at will, generally controlled the boards.

If the Celtics missed Rondo at all in this game -- and, at times, they did -- his absence was most noticeable (and costly) in the second half, particularly the fourth quarter, when the Celtics inexplicably slowed their tempo and their offense grew stagnant. Boston simply took no care of the basketball. The Celtics turned the ball over an astonishing seven times in the fourth quarter, Pierce and Courtney Lee taking turns spitting up the ball as if each were Ray Rice.

This is why Doc Rivers wants the Celtics to push the tempo now more than ever, of course. He knows that if the Celtics get dragged into a methodical, half-court game where defenses can effectively pressure the ball, Boston is cooked.

Beyond that, ask yourself this: how many players on these Celtics have played their best basketball since Rondo's season ended? Terry looks a different player. So does Pierce. Lee and Bradley are a dynamic defensive tandem, the latter drawing a huge offensive foul on Jamal Crawford late in Sunday's game because he was simply in Crawford's shorts. All too often, players like Rondo are praised for making people are them better, but it certainly feels as if the opposite happened to these Celtics.

Rondo made them all worse.

Will this all continue? Only heaven knows. Between now and the Feb. 21 trading deadline, Danny Ainge certainly has some decisions to make, as it pertains to this season and beyond. According to a Sporting News report on Sunday, the Clippers are interested in acquiring Garnett for package that included Eric Bledsoe and the 32-year-old Caron Butler, and trading Garnett is one of the many scenarios Ainge must consider. The Celtics simply do not have any untouchables on their roster, though that has been true for years, not weeks or months.

What the last week should confirm for all of us, beyond a doubt, is that Rondo is hardly untouchable, too.

If you couldn't see that before, you should certainly see it now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from srinivasa. Show srinivasa's posts

And 1!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Right between the eyes!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

That writer must certainly be another of those despised Rondo haters! How can he say all those things about our superstar diva PG, even if they're true. Must be all that hate he has inside him, like satan...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

Ship him out of town Danny!

GO CELTICS!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Perhaps we've finally reached the tipping point with Rondo.

Red has to be turning over in his grave with the way management has pampered this br@t.

Shame on them.

Pud 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

A handful of people been pointing this out for a long time... now everyone is starting to realize what great basketball minds we've had all along... except for the really dumb ones like Jamez

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

Perhaps we've finally reached the tipping point with Rondo.

Red has to be turning over in his grave with the way management has pampered this br@t.

Shame on them.

Pud 

We have been at it since 2010, after they lost to the lakers because of Rondo's uselessness!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Whats interesting here is for the last few years, all most around here (especially Rondo supporters) is Rondo makes all the players on the team better.  Even heard numerous times that Rondo was a huge reason that Ray, Paul, and KG  were still significant.  Not to mention everyone else on the team.

Fast forward to the last 4 games.  It looks pretty obvious that PP can still be effective without RR,,  KG as well,  and Ray to me looks better with the Heat than he did with us.

The things that Rondo brought to this team were assists, rebounding and ball control.

Assists have been split up so far among other players,  with it mostly PP.  Rebounding is easier to replace because he only averaged about 5 I think.  Ball control has been spread out as well and most think our offense is now more free flowing.

RR was not really a threat to look for a open spot if someone else had the ball so that he could score.  Not his specialty.  

Constant guard penetration from the other team has slowed down tremendously.

The question is can Rondo adjust his game when he comes back,  fit in so to speak?  If so he better learn to be a scorer as I have suggested many times before he go t hurt. He has to be a threat in that area. That alone would make us a better team.

I can tell you one poster who is eating this up is the Dudder.  I am pretty certain we will hear from him soon as this is just too good for him to pass up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from champs08. Show champs08's posts

Looks like I may be in the minority here, but oh well. For me Rondo is one of the most unique players in the Celtics long history. This year he wasn't able to create the chemistry of previous years, so we saw a team that struggled. Many new players on the team who are better suited to run and Rondo struggled some of the time. Their recent success is fun to watch, for sure. We'll see if they can sustain their winning ways on the road against the better teams.

Rondo is a much better player than when he entered the league. He's improved his shot and led the league in assists this year. He is a winner and an All-Star whose personality does not endear him to the fans or maybe to some of his teammates. When he got hurt, both KG and Pierce looked like there was a death in the family. When interviewed, if I recall, KG said that RR is the team's leader. He should know about that!

The Celtics are still a poor rebounding team with or without Rondo. That will come back to bite them as it has already this year. For my money I believe that trading Rondo would be a bad mistake! They needed his talents in the 4th quarter of the Clippers game and we are sure to see many more situations and times ahead where that is the case!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

The question is can Rondo adjust his game when he comes back,  fit in so to speak?  If so he better learn to be a scorer as I have suggested many times before he go t hurt. He has to be a threat in that area. That alone would make us a better team.

Rondo adjust his game? (Could Jeffrey Dahmer become a vegan?)

That train left the station a long, long time ago.

Prideful... arrogant.... stubborn.... that's been R9R's 'tude from day 1.

Management refused to confront.

Game, set, match. 

Pud

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from champs08. Show champs08's posts

Pud,

You seem so certain of yourself and have shown an anti-Rondo attitude for a long time.

If by "prideful", you mean full of pride that he can meet any challenge, I would agree.

If by "stubborn", you mean that he won't give up no matter what the score, I would agree again.

Rondo is not a perfect player, but he is an All-Star, the Celtics team leader (according to KG), and a winner on the court.

I believe the Celtics are not as good without him, and you believe they apparently are better off.

Time will tell!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to champs08's comment:

Pud,

You seem so certain of yourself and have shown an anti-Rondo attitude for a long time.

I quit on Rondo after the 2010 Finals when he got involved in the FIBA fiasco, teetered on getting cut and then quit on the team and came home, blaming others.

That was the final straw for me. Up until that point, I was hopeful that he would mature. Didn't happen. Won't happen. Can't happen... until he hits bottom.

Pud

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Wow, a 4 game sample. I'm sure the Celtics will part ways with the guy who averaged 17.3 points, 11.9 assists, 6.7 rebounds and 2.4 steals while shooting 47 percent from the floor agaisnt the Heat in  7 game series because of a 4 game uptick.

I'm sure the Cletics will ignore that since january their defense has been second only to the Bulls as the best in the league many games which Rondo played and which point ot the fact that the Celtics were starting to play better in general.

I'm sure they will ignore that they did the EXACT SAME THING last year when theyhad the best record inthe East the second half of the season with Rondo. 

Or maybe they won't. In fact, don't hold your breaths Rondo will be here next year and the year after, so you'll get to complain about him for a long time. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

The reason there is so much "trade rondo" talk is because he is VALUABLE, which means he outperforms his salary and brings intangibles that can not be replaced. Therefore, a Rondo trade can bring in equally valuable talent, but that doesn't mean we trade.

You're not going to trade Rondo for another PG, you'd try to get a star big. What would that leave us? WEAK in the guard position. At which point, people will start to scheme about upgrading that position.

Danny will build around Rondo. Rondo will stay.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to jtkl's comment:

Wow, a 4 game sample. I'm sure the Celtics will part ways with the guy who averaged 17.3 points, 11.9 assists, 6.7 rebounds and 2.4 steals while shooting 47 percent from the floor agaisnt the Heat in  7 game series because of a 4 game uptick.

I'm sure the Cletics will ignore that since january their defense has been second only to the Bulls as the best in the league many games which Rondo played and which point ot the fact that the Celtics were starting to play better in general.

I'm sure they will ignore that they did the EXACT SAME THING last year when theyhad the best record inthe East the second half of the season with Rondo. 

Or maybe they won't. In fact, don't hold your breaths Rondo will be here next year and the year after, so you'll get to complain about him for a long time. 

You forget to mention our losing record, our bored players standing around watching Rondo be the hero and generally less exciting play for both fans and players.

Now we're winning, the team looks energized and engaged in spite of its poor coach.. Maybe even DOc will wise up now that his boss and intimidator Rondo is out..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

In response to jtkl's comment:

You forget to mention our losing record, our bored players standing around watching Rondo be the hero and generally less exciting play for both fans and players.

Now we're winning, the team looks energized and engaged in spite of its poor coach.. Maybe even DOc will wise up now that his boss and intimidator Rondo is out..

We are a double overtime win and a pierce step back three from being 2-2.  Not to mention 4 games is too small a sample size. And you are forgetting the exact same thing happend last year. With Rondo. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

WOW!!! I'm experiencing whiplash. Did someone get to Gary Dzen? Hmmmmmmm!

One day after Dzen wrote very critically of Rondo,  a blog that I posted above, he seems to do a 180 turn and writes the following:

Let's put to rest the notion that the Celtics are a better team without Rajon Rondo. That theory, encapsulated here and here and strengthened by the lunatic fringe on sports talk radio, might never have formed in any market other than Boston. It shouldn't have merit here, either.

The Big Proof offered by Rondo's detractors that the team performs better without him seems to hinge on Boston's recent four-game winning streak and the perception that the Celtics point guard is a big meanie. I'm paraphrasing, of course, but the bulk of the anti-Rondo argument points to Boston's last four games and deep-seated beliefs about Rondo that have more to do with public perception than performance. (The local vitriol toward Rondo is particularly vexing considering the adoring swoons he receives from young fans before each game at TD Garden and the consistent top-10 ranking of Rondo's jersey in sales.)

Your personal opinions of Rondo aside, here are the reasons why the Celtics are not better without their All-Star point guard.

-- There's a lesson in sample size here. So soon after Nate Silver's statistical brilliance during the election, it's amazing how careless most of us can still be with numbers. If someone successfully tested a new cancer drug on four rats, you wouldn't deem the medicine fit for the market. And yet Rondo misses four games and all of a sudden everyone is the attorney general.

In the four games without Rondo, the Celtics have scored 101 points per game while giving up 92. They've averaged 25 assists, compared with 23 in games with Rondo. Must be a trend, right?

The truth is, the numbers aren't much different with or without Rondo this season. With Rondo on the floor, the Celtics have an effective field goal percentage of .494. Without Rondo, it's .495. With Rondo, the team's assist percentage is 64.5 percent; it's 60.5 percent without him. With Rondo, they commit 1.4 percent fewer turnovers. They have an offensive rating (points per 100 possessions) of 100.9 with Rondo, compared with 104.2 without him. Those numbers are too close and vary too much to draw broad conclusions.

Extended back over the last four seasons, however, Rondo's value becomes obvious. Here are Boston's offensive ratings, with and without Rondo:

With/ Without

2011-12: 104.4/96.7
    2010-11: 110.1/100.8
    2009-10: 108.7/107.3
    2008-09: 112.9/107.0

Four full seasons of scoring numbers fly in the face of any theory that the Celtics are better on offense without Rondo because they're swinging the ball around loosey-goosey without it sticking in Rondo's hands.

-- Rondo's playoff value is underrated. Detractors talk about Rondo stepping up in big games as if it's a bad thing. The truth is, Rondo has shined on the biggest stage like no other Celtic.

"He single-handedly carries us every night, and I don't know how people don't see that," said Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge last week. "It's silly. He's a great, great player, and he's proven that time and time again. The guy's been MVP of probably four or five series over the last five years. He's been the best player in a series against LeBron James. He's been the best player in a series against Derrick Rose. He's been the best player in three games in a Finals series.

"The guy has done too many good things. The question is, 'Are the pieces right around him?' "

The numbers back Ainge. Everyone remembers Kevin Garnett's resurgence during last year's playoffs, but it was Rondo who led the team with 2.6 win-shares (Garnett was second with 2.3, Pierce third with 1.7).

-- It hasn't really helped other players. I love the energy a backcourt of Avery Bradley and Courtney Lee provides, but you have a harder time selling me on the Leandro Barbosa-Jason Terry backcourt that inevitably plays big minutes in Rondo's absence. All four of those shooting guards are good complements to Rondo, but they're all shooting guards, and the Celtics aren't at their best with every combination.

There's a myth out there that Terry has somehow been freed up in the absence of Rondo. John Karalis at RedsArmy.com dispels that by examining every shot Terry has taken in the last three games. Karalis put the work in and found that Terry isn't getting better or more shots, he's just making more shots. All that has increased are Terry's minutes (more on that in a moment).

-- The Celtics were already playing better before Rondo went down. Before a game vs. Memphis Jan. 2, the Celtics were coming off performances in which they allowed 106, 101, and 118 points. Bradley returned that night, and since then the Celtics have gone from 13th in the NBA in defensive rating to seventh. The difference has been drastic: Boston gave up 97.8 points per game in December and 92.2 points per game in January.

Rondo's detractors also point to the emergence of Lee and Jeff Green, but both players were coming on well before Rondo went down. Green has averaged 11.1 points on 51 percent shooting since Jan. 7. Lee is shooting 46 percent from the field, 38 percent on 3-points, since December. He made just 22 percent of his 3-pointers in his first 16 games.

-- It won't last. On increased minutes for Terry, Lee, and others, there's some truth to the notion that Rondo's absence could be inspiring for some players. Increased minutes should make guys happy (Barbosa's Twitter feed has been positively bubbly since Rondo went down). Rondo can be intense. Before a game against the Grizzlies in early January, he took Lee aside and pushed him to run through a shooting drill with more intensity. Perhaps Rondo's absence has given guys like Lee and Terry confidence and the ability to be themselves. If that's the case, it's not something that's likely to carry over into prolonged success.

-- The vagaries of a four-game winning streak. Did I mention four games is a small sample size? The Celtics could easily be 2-2 in Rondo's absence if Paul Pierce doesn't make a step-back 3-pointer vs. the Clippers. The Celtics blew a 19-point lead in that game (a game in which Chris Paul didn't play), which should be Exhibit A as to what can go wrong when Rondo isn't on the floor to lead the offense late. The Miami game went to double overtime. The Kings and Magic are bad teams. Let's see how this thing plays out before we send Rondo packing.

The Celtics aren't better without Rondo. What some people might mean to say but don't is that the Celtics would be made better with another All-Star in Rondo's place. That if you traded Rondo for, say, Stephen Curry or Kevin Love or Kyrie Irving or Paul George, you'd be a better team. That's fine. That's a debate, and it would be difficult to prove that one side or another is right in that kind of argument. But this notion that the Celtics are better, right now, is absurd.