'98 Celtics went 36-46 in Pitino's first year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

'98 Celtics went 36-46 in Pitino's first year

I'll take Stevens over the run 'em into the ground, screaming egomaniac Pitino as far as 'college genius' coaches

I'll take 2 months of Pressy and 4 months of Rondo over 4 months of Billups and 2 months of Kenny Anderson.

I'll take a 26 year old Jeff Green over a 22 year old Antoine Walker

Ditto to Avery and Lee over Mercer and Barros

Gerald Wallace over 1st year in the league Bruce Bowen

Faverani, Bass and Humphries over Travis Knight, Andrew DeClerq and Pervis Ellison

Olynyk and Sullinger over Waltah

Crawford over Dee Brown (traded halfway through the year0

On an on... look what garbage Rick got to 36 wins with.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Re: '98 Celtics went 36-46 in Pitino's first year

We are a different team with Crawford and Pressey at the point.

Stevens is better than Doc Rivers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Anyone who says this Celtic team can't or won't win 30 games is an absolute fool.

The only way this team doesn't win 36-44 is if Ainge doesn't let them. And by that I obviously mean a combination of trading both Rondo and 2-3 of the 5 other veteran/leadership/been there before guys.

I see no way he can hold Rondo back until late Jan/early Feb like a tank job would require AND direct a classy guy like Stevens to throw close games, let the team quit and basically do what M.L. was asked to do in '97. NO WAY. One thing Stevens and rick have in common is that fierce desire to win. I think Brad's players won't quit on him the way Rick's eventually did tho;-)

Doc in '07 had a WAY worse team AND Pierce was asked to sit twice as long as his injury required him to, and the tanking quitters were punished by the bball Gods b/c of it (then rewardded with Ray/KG, but I digress)

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yup that is Fierce for you. Always trying to bully and smear someone.

Did you notive what the Red Sox and Patriots have been up to Fierce?

Unlike you I have a life and commitments to job, family, friends and my wife. There are only so many World Series runs and once a week for 16 weeks football games to discuss with people online that the now rebuiliding Celtics preseason and first 5-6 games wasn't on the top of my list.

Regardless of my absence compared to years past, when the Sox were out of it and the C's a contender, I am able to see things about this team far more clearly than you, par the course. 30+ wins is highly possible. There is a lot of talent on this roster. Rondo and Green are better than anyone on the team Pitino squeezed 36 wins out of.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Unlike you I have a life and commitments to job, family, friends and my wife. There are only so many World Series runs and once a week for 16 weeks football games to discuss with people online that the now rebuiliding Celtics preseason and first 5-6 games wasn't on the top of my list.

Regardless of my absence compared to years past, when the Sox were out of it and the C's a contender, I am able to see things about this team far more clearly than you, par the course. 30+ wins is highly possible. There is a lot of talent on this roster. Rondo and Green are better than anyone on the team Pitino squeezed 36 wins out of.

Good to hear from you again and a couple of good posts by you right out of the starting gate.

I originally said 32 wins by the C's and I think I'll stick with that for now until a material change occurs ... these guys are better than they're given credit for and our traded guys aren't as good any more as some here still think. I like the way the rebuild is progressing.

Be sure to stop in now and then ... appreciate your posts even when we disagree.

Congrats to the Sox (Great Series!!!) and the bye for the Pats can only give them the breather they need to make a few more adjustments and get some players healthier for a nice run with that weaker schedule they have from here. Fun watching them grow quickly and the C's could be taking a page out of their book with Stevens and the yutes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good to hear from you again and a couple of good posts by you right out of the starting gate.

I originally said 32 wins by the C's and I think I'll stick with that for now until a material change occurs ... these guys are better than they're given credit for and our traded guys aren't as good any more as some here still think. I like the way the rebuild is progressing.

Be sure to stop in now and then ... appreciate your posts even when we disagree.

Congrats to the Sox (Great Series!!!) and the bye for the Pats can only give them the breather they need to make a few more adjustments and get some players healthier for a nice run with that weaker schedule they have from here. Fun watching them grow quickly and the C's could be taking a page out of their book with Stevens and the yutes.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, same to you.

Even when we disagree there is no stalking, bullying immaturity that accompanies it like the resident 9 year old we have here. Just two adults who can move on next time.

The Sox run was INCREDIBLE. The Pats will compete for sure, but being down 2 of their 3 best defenders will likely keep them from a Super Bowl contender.

My Celts prediction is/was:

-  42-46 wins if Rondo was 100% by 2014 and if Ainge made a trade that trimmed an 11-12 man rotation to 9-10 and actually improved it with defined roles and a player(s) that fir whatever style Stevens implement. This is the move where DA says 'f--- it, Rondo and Stevens are too competitive to ruin things for them'

- 28-32 wins if Rondo is held out into mid-January, not 100% until almost the deadline and Ainge makes a trade of either Rondo, several veterans, or both, that reduces current talent while not solving any of the 11-12 guys deserve minutes issue.

So the middle # is 37. One win more than the '98 Pitino team. That is what I was and am going with for this season.

Jeff Green will not be traded until the team finds out where they are drafting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

[QUOTE]

I'll take Stevens over the run 'em into the ground, screaming egomaniac Pitino as far as 'college genius' coaches

I'll take 2 months of Pressy and 4 months of Rondo over 4 months of Billups and 2 months of Kenny Anderson.

Faverani, Bass and Humphries over Travis Knight, Andrew DeClerq and Pervis Ellison

[/QUOTE]

So true ! What a roster of garbage Pitino had that first year...

Still, they won 36 games (and the opener over the Chicago Bulls...as big of a deal as tonights win over Miami !)

I stand by my prediction: Celtics will win more than 41 games this season , lots of young athleticism and upside , so much better than living another year of The Long Goodbye with KG and Pierce....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mossad-did-911. Show mossad-did-911's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:

So true ! What a roster of garbage Pitino had that first year...

Still, they won 36 games (and the opener over the Chicago Bulls...as big of a deal as tonights win over Miami !)

I stand by my prediction: Celtics will win more than 41 games this season , lots of young athleticism and upside , so much better than living another year of The Long Goodbye with KG and Pierce....

how does one rectify the other? what does 41 wins get you? the objective is to be a Champioin, not a middling playoff team. Until Boston puts up another banner they will be living the long goodbye of pierce and KG. getting the 8th seed, 1st round KO, and 24th overall draft pick would be much worse than beiing in the bottom 5, while establishing a young core of players, and adding a top 5 draft pick to the roster in 2014-15.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

41 wins means we will be like the Dino Radja led Celtics of the 1990s.

Long time Celtic fans don't want to go back to that era.

[/QUOTE]

Dino Radja had excellent footwork and low post scoring ability. However I disliked Rick Fox nearly as much as I dislike Brandon Bass.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Not really sure what this thread is about....it's all over the place....too many names.  But, I do know this......with the many knowledgeable posters that have commented on here, I know NO ONE is saying Brad Stevens is a better coach than Rick Pitino....and as long as we all understand that, I'll allow the thread to continue......LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Right.  I'd rather "suffer" for one or two seasons then "suffer" for twenty two years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Right.  I'd rather "suffer" for one or two seasons then "suffer" for twenty two years.

[/QUOTE]

Nobody is saying that they prefer getting 41 wins, the 8 seed, pick 15, and a 1st rd loss in 5 to getting a top 3-7 pick.

We are saying that this team is too talented, even before their all-star PG returns, to NOT be in a situation close to that.

It will likely take Danny sabotaging it at the trade deadline or holding Rondo out far longer than needed to get them into the top 7. WHERE THEY NEED TO BE!

However, if Rondo forces his way back onto the court just before Christmas, say home vs. the Wiz on 12/21, and finds himself on say a 12-17 bball team that is bunched up with a bunch of other teams in the 7-12 range in the East. Then we go on an above .500 'tear' of like 18-13 that gets us to 30-30 before the deadline. What is Danny to do? The team would clearly be hard pressed to get a top 7 pick.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not really sure what this thread is about....it's all over the place....too many names.  But, I do know this......with the many knowledgeable posters that have commented on here, I know NO ONE is saying Brad Stevens is a better coach than Rick Pitino....and as long as we all understand that, I'll allow the thread to continue......LOL

[/QUOTE]

This thread is about how much more talented these '14 Celtics are as compared to the '98 Celtics. Both teams were led by rookie coaches who were dubbed a 'genius' in the college ranks.

Those Celtics won 36 games. Anyone saying this Celts team has no shot to win 30 is a fool.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Additionally the '98 Celtics did not 'tank' but played with heart and were 'scrappy' like this one. They did not quit on Pitino until at least the following season. They were rewarded for not tanking by ending up with Pierce at pick 10, when surely a top 3 finish for a tanking team angering the bball Gods would have landed us Raef LaFrentz or Michael Olowakandi instead of a top 7 all-time Celtic and HOFer.

Pitino killed himself by:

-  Taking his former star Mercer over the obvious choice (for a rebuilder) in Tracy McGrady

- Passing on some defensive talent (Ben Wallace and Bruce Bowen) moving forward as the decision maker b/c he desired a traditional 7' C (Zan Tabak!) and to give another of his KU guys (McCarty) the mins Bowen should have taken, so not resigning Bruce.

- The WORSE, trading a '99 lotto pick for Vitaly Potopenko.

The Pitono era should have entered the 00's with this rotation;

C - Ben Wallace and Tony Battie

PF - Antoine, Dirk and Eric Williams

SF - Dirk, Bowen and McGrady

SG - McGrady and Billips

PG - Andre Miller and Billips

but oh well, hindsight is 20-20

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This thread is about how much more talented these '14 Celtics are as compared to the '98 Celtics. Both teams were led by rookie coaches who were dubbed a 'genius' in the college ranks.

Those Celtics won 36 games. Anyone saying this Celts team has no shot to win 30 is a fool.

[/QUOTE]

I agree - should put us in the 7-10 range.  Not what folks around here are clamoring for, I know.

36 would be a stretch, IMO.  There will be injuries and trades.  Just keep playing hard, win the occasional shocker and we'll all be fine.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

I'm so tired of hearing all the fantasy league b.s. about how it's better if the Celtics win 30 games than if they win 41

Look at what Utah did in this years draft ! They packaged their 2 picks and they got into the top 10 and got their future franchise cornerstone - Trey Burke !

If there is a player that Ainge loves - he will cash in ALL THE CHIPS to get into the top 5 or at least into the top 10

Can't anyone on this board see the value of this years team getting into the playoffs , even as the #8 seed ? 

LAST SEASONS team was the mediocre "Dino Radja" style Celtics, yeah, with KG and Piece they were a .500 team, and they needed a 8 game winning streak just to get to .500

THIS SEASONS team getting into the #8 spot is a totally different story..........the new look Celtics could be just like Golden State were last season, the exciting up and coming team on the rise.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm so tired of hearing all the fantasy league b.s. about how it's better if the Celtics win 30 games than if they win 41

Look at what Utah did in this years draft ! They packaged their 2 picks and they got into the top 10 and got their future franchise cornerstone - Trey Burke !

If there is a player that Ainge loves - he will cash in ALL THE CHIPS to get into the top 5 or at least into the top 10

Can't anyone on this board see the value of this years team getting into the playoffs , even as the #8 seed ? 

LAST SEASONS team was the mediocre "Dino Radja" style Celtics, yeah, with KG and Piece they were a .500 team, and they needed a 8 game winning streak just to get to .500

THIS SEASONS team getting into the #8 spot is a totally different story..........the new look Celtics could be just like Golden State were last season, the exciting up and coming team on the rise.

[/QUOTE]

NO. THERE IS NO VALUE IN BEING AN 8 SEED OUT IN THE FIRST ROUND.

FUN WITH FONTS

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"The only way this team doesn't win 36-44 is if Ainge doesn't let them. And by that I obviously mean a combination of trading both Rondo and 2-3 of the 5 other veteran/leadership/been there before guys."

I for one hope Ainge does step in if that's the case. We need to hit the lottery to become a championship team in the NBA again. That's how it works. 

Those who are content with getting creamed in the playoffs by the Heat or the Pacers in the first round may think otherwise. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"The only way this team doesn't win 36-44 is if Ainge doesn't let them. And by that I obviously mean a combination of trading both Rondo and 2-3 of the 5 other veteran/leadership/been there before guys."

I for one hope Ainge does step in if that's the case. We need to hit the lottery to become a championship team in the NBA again. That's how it works. 

Those who are content with getting creamed in the playoffs by the Heat or the Pacers in the first round may think otherwise. 

[/QUOTE]

+ 1

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Ainge doesn't have enough assets to move up in the draft, regardless where we finish?