A Confederacy of Dan Shaughnessy's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

A Confederacy of Dan Shaughnessy's

Shaughnessy is probably the most derided of longtime Globe sportswriters.  This is principally because he sees no middle ground.  He either sees the Millennium coming and jumps out in front of a parade blowing a whistle and waving a baton, or spots a cloud on the horizon and organizes a funeral, driving the hearse himself.

Well, I see a lot of people like that here on this board.  We are not the 2007-2008 team that made it look easy (the NBA sees something like that about every ten years).  But nor are we one of the dreadful Pitino teams.  We're in a rough spot, but I expect us to pull out of it and make an exciting and entertaining playoff run.  Can we chill a little and enjoy the ride?

World peace is not at hand.  But neither, by and large, do NBA games result in people shooting each other.  :-)

cheers --

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Re: A Confederacy of Dan Shaughnessy's

The 2007-2008 team made it look easy? Hardly. You forgot all the 7-game series in the playoffs?
    I agree that we have to keep seeing things in perspective though!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

When you say "Can we chill a little and enjoy the ride?" exactly WHAT ride are Celtics fans supposed to be enjoying right now?  Should Celtics fans post positive things based on our future "hopes" and "expectations" of how we "want" the season to play out by the end of the playoffs in June?  I think there is a large segment of posters who DO keep things in wonderful perspective.  Don't you?

Why can't folks post about the struggles of the team today?  I agree with you that the season is not over and we will play better, at least, when the playoffs start.  But you acknowledge yourself that "We're in a rough spot" so why can't posters post about that right now.  That doesn't suggest they are preparing for a funeral or planning for a parade although the Celtics play of late suggests a funeral will occur before a parade does so one could understand the posts.

Every poster (Celtics fan) wants banner #18 to hang in June.  Some believe, based on our play today, that we will not reach that goal and those folks are entitled to that thinking.

I'm in the camp that the Celtics will hoist banner #18 and, by that time, I am sure many of the posters you refer to will be found in that same camp too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

By "made it look easy" I meant storming through the regular season.  :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

nice post, 6.

i'm a true believer, but cannot deny that the Cs are in a pickle and it's starting to get late. this really is not last year, and things do seem to be coming down to shaq contributing valuable playoff minutes. i wish that notion was more comforting than it is. 

to the naysayers, your concerns are legitimate. but there is time yet for corrections to be made. writing the team off now is folly.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

In Response to Re: A Confederacy of Dan Shaughnessy's:
    [QUOTE]When you say " Can we chill a little and enjoy the ride? " exactly WHAT ride are Celtics fans supposed to be enjoying right now?  Should Celtics fans post positive things based on our future "hopes" and "expectations" of how we "want" the season to play out by the end of the playoffs in June?  I think there is a large segment of posters who DO keep things in wonderful perspective.  Don't you? Why can't folks post about the struggles of the team today?  I agree with you that the season is not over and we will play better, at least, when the playoffs start.  But you acknowledge yourself that " We're in a rough spot " so why can't posters post about that right now.  That doesn't suggest they are preparing for a funeral or planning for a parade although the Celtics play of late  suggests a funeral will occur before a parade does so one could understand the posts. Every poster (Celtics fan) wants banner #18 to hang in June.  Some believe, based on our play today, that we will not reach that goal and those folks are entitled to that thinking. I'm in the camp that the Celtics will hoist banner #18 and, by that time, I am sure many of the posters you refer to will be found in that same camp too.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

I want to hoist No, 18 as much as anyone, but if you read the totality of the posts, there seem to be an awful lot of people who seem ready to line up players, coaches, management in front of a firing squad -- of jump off a cliff themselves -- just because we're playing badly.  It is only a game -- and there are people dying in Libya, Afghanistan, and Japan. :-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Confederacy of Dan Shaughnessy's : I want to hoist No, 18 as much as anyone, but if you read the totality of the posts, there seem to be an awful lot of people who seem ready to line up players, coaches, management in front of a firing squad -- of jump off a cliff themselves -- just because we're playing badly.  It is only a game -- and there are people dying in Libya, Afghanistan, and Japan. :-)
    Posted by Number6Fan[/QUOTE]
    You make a very valid point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

[QUOTE]The 2007-2008 team made it look easy? Hardly. You forgot all the 7-game series in the playoffs? I agree that we have to keep seeing things in perspective though!
    Posted by basketbert[/QUOTE]

funnily enough, I wasn't stressed by those 7game series. cleveland and atlanta couldn't touch us at home. in fact, no-one could. we lost one home game that entire playoffs, to a savvy veteran detroit team, and we responded by closing that series out in 6 on the road.

all the more reason we should be aiming for homecourt this season

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Best comments on any thread I have read recently.  This how I feel, I love the team but we all see we have been put in a very difficult position by the moves. 

The reality is that Perkins had not shown he was answer to Shaq.  He was still Perkins.  We are depending on Shaq's healthy sense of himself in basketball history that a fifth championship is worth going for.  If his injury is serious enough that he can't come back in any real way than we as Bailey says are in a pickle.

I will be with them all the way but I am really concerned we screwed up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Most people are on the board to discuss the Celtics and players that they like.

During the ebb and flow of the season, we some times lose track of the middle ground, besides, the middle ground does not sell stories.

It is hard to enjoy a game where no one shows up and no one cares. It is also hard to see the team struggle.

Fortunately the play-offs are a new season, and team focus will be much easier. It is also likely that one or both of our injured bigs will be back.

I think it is amazing that the Celtics are still in contention for top seed in the East with the long list of injuries this season, the trade and the new faces.

It is more likely that we will "enjoy the ride" more, once the play-offs begin.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Rico and after listening to the tape Dan says it doesn't look good this year.

Aren't you clever?  Shaughnessy has a long history of being wrong on his predictions. If he says is does not look good then they do look good.   Since I know you are big Celtic fan you are very happy.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]
    When you say " Can we chill a little and enjoy the ride? " exactly WHAT ride are Celtics fans supposed to be enjoying right now?  Should Celtics fans post positive things based on our future "hopes" and "expectations" of how we "want" the season to play out by the end of the playoffs in June?  I think there is a large segment of posters who DO keep things in wonderful perspective.  Don't you?

Why can't folks post about the struggles of the team today?  I agree with you that the season is not over and we will play better, at least, when the playoffs start.  But you acknowledge yourself that " We're in a rough spot " so why can't posters post about that right now.  That doesn't suggest they are preparing for a funeral or planning for a parade although the Celtics play of late  suggests a funeral will occur before a parade does so one could understand the posts.

Every poster (Celtics fan) wants banner #18 to hang in June.  Some believe, based on our play today, that we will not reach that goal and those folks are entitled to that thinking.

I'm in the camp that the Celtics will hoist banner #18 and, by that time, I am sure many of the posters you refer to will be found in that same camp too.

Posted by Petey62

[/QUOTE]
    _

Love the title, number6fan, very cool.

And Petey I agree with you, but he's not talking about people like you who keep things in perspective. He's irked by the panicky, doom & gloomers who come off more like haters and trolls than as Celtic fans.  "The sky is falling", mentality, you understand, "they're finished, toast!"  mentality -- that's not keeping things in perspective.  That's just negativity with no perspective.

I wrote extensively on the slump and the Celtics without preaching doom and gloom.  I described the troubles players are having without attacking them.  I wrote that they couldn't beat their way out of a paper bag right now, that they're a sub-five hundred team at the moment, but I put it all in the perspective of the long season and what remains of it as well as the integration of new guys and bigs returning from injury.  No one with any sense would write off the Celtics, now, at this point.  This slump makes for great drama and a great challenge.  But are the Celtics done, not by a long shot. 

Many so called fans have written the Celtics off and insulted them, and to me these posters come across as haters or trolls.  If they aren't aware of that, that's on them.

Nothing at all wrong with discussing what's going on as the team struggles:  it's the extreme negativity and attacks on the team that has people so irked.

-

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]Why go for the #1 seed when life will be easier if the Celts are the #2 seed? Don't underestimate D.Howard and the Magic. That team has been in the east conf. finals the last 2 years.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Well, if the Lakers make it we are behind them too. We need to gain ground there. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

You want number one because game sevens can be a bi#ch away from home.

While star calls have been reduced this year. Home town calls are still alive and well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]I think JO will surprise us all. He could have more of an impact than Shaq if he's really healthy. They said JO's knees didn't have swelling in 3 weeks of working out. If that's the case then the only problem is getting the rust off. 

I hope that you are right.  I am looking forward to Jon returning and if he will be any help to the Celtics.  If he can indeed play tomorrow, that will give him some playing time before the playoffs start to get back into basketball shape. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]Looks like Rico loves Petey! HAHAHA!!!
    You are funny.  All he said was good post.  Actually I did think it was a good post.  Didn't you Fiercest34?