Ability to sign free agents?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Re: Ability to sign free agents?

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to Mployee8's comment:

Did the Miami Heat give the Cavs a trade exception?

No ... it was generated when LeBron was traded for draft picks only .... Miami wasn't in possession of a TPE.

The C's don't even need to trade him. They can waive him and resign him with an exception (Vet, BAE or MLE) if he is willing to stay on with the $5MM buyout and exception $. He could  then be traded when a good situation comes up.

Miami gave the Cavs a trade exception after July 1.

Right now the Kings and Suns have the lowest payroll, 53m. 

Remember, the season is not over, so the expiring contracts still count against the cap. 

If the Celts wait after June 30 then Pierce's 15.3m becomes guaranteed.

Pierce is attractive to some of the teams now because he can be waived on or before June 30. But the Celts would have to take back contracts in return.

So if the question is can a team give the Celts a trade exception right now, the answer is no.

I'm pulling a Fungus34 here .... Teams don't trade exceptions. New exceptions are generated in the name of the team that trades away more than it gets. One team cannot trade its exception to another team. Get it?

Now if you are saying that a player can't be traded pre-draft for a draft pick only, that in turn generates a trade exception as a result of the $0 attributed to the draft pick, then I'd like to see the rule that says so cause I myself don't know. BosoxJoe says it's doable but I haven't been able to confirm yet.

Toronto is desparate to unload Bargnani before 7/1 so Pierce would obviously be attractive to them as a salary dump though they'd have to provide another $4MM in player salary to make the trade work.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

If the Celts wait until July 1 or after, the Celts will lose the option of waiving Pierce and his 15.3m for next season becomes guaranteed.

But this is the time where the Celts can do a sign and trade.

The risk is if there are no takers for Pierce, the Celts will be stuck with Pierce's 15.3m.

STUCK ?

IT would not be the worst thing in the world to have Paul Pierce's expiring contract to deal at the Feb trading deadline.......that would be the time when they could get the most for him.....plus, it wouldn't be so bad having him for the first 50 games of the season either. I know he's not what he was, but when did Pierce's reputation become so horrible ? You talk about him like he's garbage. The guy still has another season as a solid 30+ minute a night starter (if need be) and probably 2 more seasons as a GREAT 6th, 7th, 8th guy in the rotation....I say Pierce still has significant value and it wouldn't mind one bit having him until the Feb trading deadline.

Geez !

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Seriously, Mployee, you're way off your game tonight.

A trade exception can't be traded?

HAHAHA

Correct ...  once again you fail to READ with COMPREHENSION!!!

Teams don't trade exceptions ... when a trade exception is used by one team to acquire a player from another team the team giving up the player gets a new TPE of it's own with 1 year expiration. The team using the exception has it's exception reduced by the amount used to acquire the player and is still limited to using the remainder up within 1 year of it's inception ... GET IT????

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

How can the Celts get a trade exception for Paul Pierce at this point in time when the teams with the lowest salaries are the Suns and Kings, 53m. The salary cap is 58m. Pierce's salary for this season is 16.79m. No team will be able to absorb Pierce's contract if the Celts will not take back a contract or contracts in return.

So there's no way the Celts can get a trade exception for Pierce on or before June 30. 

I didn't say it was doable before 7/1 ... In fact, I questioned BoSoxJoe's post saying so because I couldn't find anything allowing for the use of a TE before the draft. And most likely if it was doable there are very few teams as you say that would be eligible to trade with, limiting the possibility of it getting done for a TPE.

But Cleveland is also at $54-55MM according to HoopsHype. So Bill Simmons is correct in the assumption that the Cavs could trade their #19 & 31 draft picks for Pierce since they are under the cap (don't need to match salary) and the C's would generate a TPE for the difference between Pierce's salary and the rookie salaries for the two draft picks. That would give the C's a nice TE for Josh Smith and the Cavs could pay Pierce next year if they want to keep him or exercise the buyout and lose the difference between the two draft pick salaries and Pierce's $5MM guarantee which would be about $2MM. Don't know why they'd do that or want to keep him but it is doable unless some rule prevents TPE from being generated prior to the draft.

What you are sidestepping is the fact that you are wrong as usual regarding the trading of team TPE's. Doesn't happen ... Period!!!  You are wrong again and try to shift the conversation away from your gaff by asserting that I am wrong about a different subject matter. So Fungus34 like of you  .... Get over it ... YOU ARE WRONG!!! 

Pull up all the CBA info you'd like but it is clear that one team does not trade it's TPE to another. It's own TPE is reduced by the amount expended on the new player and another TPE is created for a like amount in the name of the team giving up the player. It's an accounting adjustment for one team and a document issuance with time limits for the other. No transfer of TPE takes place ... PERIOD ... END OF ARGUMENT!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

Why trade for Pierce now?  Teams will just wait and see if he is waived and claim him on waivers

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Mployee

It's simple, all you had to do was use the ESPN Trade Machine to see if Pierce to the Cavs would work.

Seriously, you yourself said the Cavs are at 54-55m. The salary cap is 58m. That's 3-4m in cap space. The Cavs can't go over the salary cap because it's not yet July 1.

Get it?

Like I said, you're off your game. 

Wrong again ... that's why you're an idiot!  The ESPN trade machine provides no option to trade draft picks for a player for teams under the cap ... you must defer to the rules.

If you are that ignorant about trade rules for teams under the cap, let me educate you. Now, before you react, make sure you read and study before proving to the board why you are such an ignorant poster who prefers to bully other posters. Read it and weep!

> Teams who are under the cap can trade at will, but those who are over (or will be over after the trade is completed) must use an exception to do any trades. The most common one is the Traded Player Exception.

The first type of trade in this exception is the simultaneous trade, where multiple players can be included and the salaries must more or less match. The second type is the non-simultaneous trade. In this type of trade, only one player may be included per team, and the salaries do not have to match. The team who takes on less salary will then have one year to use make up the difference by taking on additional salary in a different trade. This is what is commonly called the ‘trade exception’. <

Source: http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2010/06/sign-and-trade-for-lebron-james-is-a-bad-option-for-the-cavaliers/

This is what the Cavs did with LeBron ... they traded him to the Heat (who were under the cap at the time) and got back a couple of draft picks and a huge TPE.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

[QUOTE]

Seriously, Mployee, you're way off your game tonight.

A trade exception can't be traded?

HAHAHA

Correct ...  once again you fail to READ with COMPREHENSION!!!

Teams don't trade exceptions ... when a trade exception is used by one team to acquire a player from another team the team giving up the player gets a new TPE of it's own with 1 year expiration. The team using the exception has it's exception reduced by the amount used to acquire the player and is still limited to using the remainder up within 1 year of it's inception ... GET IT????

A trade exception is just like a player, it can be traded!

You really want me to slap the salary cap rules in your face again?

Saying that a trade exception cannot be traded is wrong!

Get it?

[/QUOTE]

Since you haven't been able to do so, let me slap the CBA Cap Rule in your face loser!

> Trade exceptions are not traded from one team to another. Sometimes it appears like this is happening when one team uses a trade exception to acquire salary without sending salary away, and the other team gains a trade exception in the same process because they sent away salary without receiving salary in return. However, the trade exception the first team uses and the trade exception the second team gains are two distinct exceptions. <

GET IT ??????

If not here's the link ....   http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q83

Paragragh 4 ... Non-simultaneous trade exceptions ....

Probably too far over your head to comprehend so I'll expect another bully argument from you as you try to convince yourself and other board members that you know what you're talking about.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.