Adjustments for Game 3

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Adjustments for Game 3

I think that some adjustments must be made if the Celtics are to win the series with the 76ers. For starters, Doc should go more to Pietrus, Daniels or Pavlovic to guard Iguodala, so Pierce can conserve his energy for offense. In the Atlanta series, Pierce was more effective offensively because he didn't have to guard Joe Johnson most of the time.  I also suggest that Doc activate Sean Williams in lieu of E'twaun Moore. It doesn't seem like Doc intends to use Moore anyway (unless Bradley's injury worsens). Williams is a good rebounder and shot-blocker and he can surely help-out guarding the Sixers bigs. He is a viable alternative when Stiemsma and Hollins are not playing well or are in foul trouble. One thing for sure is that Doc should rotate his bigs effectively in the earlier parts of the game so that KG is well rested  for the closing minutes. All suggestions and comments are welcome.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: Adjustments for Game 3

how about if doc just can manage to effectively communicate "hey guys, let's cut the crap with the 100% jumpers all the time" message and see our guys actually make an adjustment. 

soooooooooo, did doc say that last night or not?  if he did, they sure didn't listen.  troubling either way

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I think it's all about Energy.  The Celtics did NOT play with enough energy last night - esp in the 2nd/3rd Qtr.  Although, I did like the energy I seen though from Peitrus off the bench for a few minutes, this got them back in the game being down 10, hopefully he and the team can build on this...

Plus their half court offense is awful right now, no rythem at all.  They let the shot clock get to low before they get into their offense, then they scramble to just hit the rim to try and reset the shot clock with a O-rebound.  Just doesn't work. 

Really need to cut down their TO's...wow, 19 is just not going to cut it at all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

If you look at the boxscore, not counting Allen's, there were only two rebounds among these bench players.  These bench players played so horrible last nite. Probably the worst I have ever seen.  These bench players playing like they have no hearts!!!

To beat Philly or to win the championship title, these bench players need to step up!!!  

Also agreed with most of you all that Boston settled way too much on jump shots. They only went to the line foul line only five times (7 foul shot attempts). That is horrible stats right there.  That is not how Boston play.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I totally agree with EdCap. Doc needs to play Quis, Pav and Pietrus more but Pietrus has to do more than just stand and shoot 3's. He has to make an impact on defense or scrappy plays. Whichever one is more effective but I think they could play well in this series.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

They are a jump shooting team. That's what they do especially with Pierce hurt. This guy is killing them. Point blank. Period.

"Celtics power forward Brandon Bass took 15 shots (six more than Paul Pierce) and made only five of them. Many were open jumpers he usually knocks down and could have helped to put the Sixers away early."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

The hottest player on the team (KG) hardly touches the ball til the 4th quarter. What's up with that?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

There is ONLY ONE "adjustment" needed and that is play the game like you care about the outcome.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Adjustments for Game 3:
    [QUOTE]how about if doc just can manage to effectively communicate "hey guys, let's cut the crap with the 100% jumpers all the time" message and see our guys actually make an adjustment.  soooooooooo, did doc say that last night or not?  if he did, they sure didn't listen.  troubling either way
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

Pierce is the only guy on the team that can create his own shot.  With him hurt all they have outside of transtition is rondo driving and dishing for jumpshots. The team has been a jump shooting team all year.  They have not one single guy (except for Pierce) who can post up and other than pierce and rondo not one guy can take thier man off the dribble.  If they are not running and not making jump shots they are not going to score without Pierce being able to do so.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

[QUOTE] The hottest player on the team (KG) hardly touches the ball til the 4th quarter. What's up with that?
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

Cause he was double and sometimes tripple teamed. Unfortunately the other bigs (Bass, Steamer) couldn't convert their open looks. Pierce can't do anything and Rondo decided to pass outside, while being one foot away from the basket.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In Response to Adjustments for Game 3:
    [QUOTE]I think that some adjustments must be made if the Celtics are to win the series with the 76ers. For starters, Doc should go more to Pietrus, Daniels or Pavlovic to guard Iguodala, so Pierce can conserve his energy for offense. In the Atlanta series, Pierce was more effective offensively because he didn't have to guard Joe Johnson most of the time.  I also suggest that Doc activate Sean Williams in lieu of E'twaun Moore. It doesn't seem like Doc intends to use Moore anyway (unless Bradley's injury worsens). Williams is a good rebounder and shot-blocker and he can surely help-out guarding the Sixers bigs. He is a viable alternative when Stiemsma and Hollins are not playing well or are in foul trouble. One thing for sure is that Doc should rotate his bigs effectively in the earlier parts of the game so that KG is well rested  for the closing minutes. All suggestions and comments are welcome.
    Posted by edcap99[/QUOTE]

I obviously agree with you or you read my comment and agree with me ...

Re: Game 2 prediction

posted at 5/14/2012 5:28 PM EDT

First: 7/8/2008
    Last: 5/15/2012
    Unless Pierce's knee healed overnight, I think we see more of Pav/Daniels on Iguodala/Turner. I'd also like to see Williams or JJJ on tonight's roster for the PF matchups ... Allen & Brand are too much for Bass and ???  Moore isn't a neccessity but some backup at PF is ... Philly has the matchup advantage at that position. Anyone willing to gamble ... Doc, Doc, Anyone?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Lots of analysis and lots of things weren't done well last night.  However, one stat changes by just 10 or 20% and the game is over.  BASS NOT HITTING!!!!

As Greag Popovich often says - people want to make it a complicated game but its not.  If you hit your open shots, you usually win.   If Bass doesn't go 5 for 15 SHOOTING WIDE OPEN JUMPERS we win.   So, the big adjustment is "shoot better than 33% or sit"!

The problem is not as complicated as defense (they shot only 40% and 37% from 3 point land) or did KG get the ball or Paul's knee.  They outrebounded us but that's always the case....and not by a big margin.  We had 17 TOs and they had 16.   All of these factors are extraneous......

This isn't rocket science.  Bass just needs to stop choking!  Hell our shooting guard with bad ankles and age got about the same number of rebounds as Bass!!!

Acie - bring back BBD!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Lots of analysis and lots of things weren't done well last night.  However, one stat changes by just 10 or 20% and the game is over.  BASS NOT HITTING!!!! As Greag Popovich often says - people want to make it a complicated game but its not.  If you hit your open shots, you usually win.   If Bass doesn't go 5 for 15 SHOOTING WIDE OPEN JUMPERS we win.   So, the big adjustment is "shoot better than 33% or sit"! The problem is not as complicated as defense (they shot only 40% and 37% from 3 point land) or did KG get the ball or Paul's knee.  They outrebounded us but that's always the case....and not by a big margin.  We had 17 TOs and they had 16.   All of these factors are extraneous...... This isn't rocket science.  Bass just needs to stop choking!  Hell our shooting guard with bad ankles and age got about the same number of rebounds as Bass!!! Acie - bring back BBD!!!
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

He can't sit.  The Celtics have no one else to play.

As far as BBD goes last year in the playoffs he averaged 5 points and 3 rebounds in 21 minutes a game.

A real solution would be to actually sign a big who is better than average to play up front with KG.  Both Bass and Davis are hacks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adjustments for Game 3 : He can't sit.  The Celtics have no one else to play. As far as BBD goes last year in the playoffs he averaged 5 points and 3 rebounds in 21 minutes a game. A real solution would be to actually sign a big who is better than average to play up front with KG.  Both Bass and Davis are hacks.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

Smile.   Actually, I like BBD and Bass.  Bass is only a jumpshooter but a better jumpshooter than BBD.  BBD, however, is better than he gets credit for - he was hurt last year and played poorly and he tried too hard to take over to help his contract situation - dumb move.  If he had just stayed in his role, he was fine.   But between his knee and his attitude, he had a bad 2nd half of the year.

OVerall, you are right - if Danny had a decent big to play with KG, this would all be moot.  Instead, we are using castoffs and NBDL players!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGBeast. Show KGBeast's posts

Makes me think - wouldn't it have been nice to have a guy like Green out there. After watching some highlights during his brief time with the team... Green can finish at the rim. You watch a guy like Bass last night and you can see him trying to listen to doc and bring it to the rim and praying that nobody is in position to block from behind. Bass has no confidence in the paint. I think he's trying. He has a good attitude. But its just not his game. His game is that mid-range jumpshot, and when he can't find the bottom of the basket, its on Doc to pull him out. 

You know, we do have two bigs who can finish at the rim solely based on their height and athleticism. Hollins is proving he can get it done. Take Bass out if he isn't performing and change the game. For all the credit Doc gets for being a cerebral coach, he sure wasn't making the obvious in-game adjustments that needed to be made to save that game. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

David West. If only he had said, "yes"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Makes me think - wouldn't it have been nice to have a guy like Green out there. After watching some highlights during his brief time with the team... Green can finish at the rim. You watch a guy like Bass last night and you can see him trying to listen to doc and bring it to the rim and praying that nobody is in position to block from behind. Bass has no confidence in the paint. I think he's trying. He has a good attitude. But its just not his game. His game is that mid-range jumpshot, and when he can't find the bottom of the basket, its on Doc to pull him out.  You know, we do have two bigs who can finish at the rim solely based on their height and athleticism. Hollins is proving he can get it done. Take Bass out if he isn't performing and change the game. For all the credit Doc gets for being a cerebral coach, he sure wasn't making the obvious in-game adjustments that needed to be made to save that game. 
    Posted by KGBeast[/QUOTE]

We're all trying to find reasons why the team lost.  But, its the playoffs.  Teams lose.  No team wins every night.  Some nights, the players just can't hit and don't play well.   I blame this on the players - they simply didn't play well.....just about everyone but KG.   He was 7 for 12 shooting with 12 rebounds.   Just about every other player just didn't play well.  No coach, no ref, and no injuries can be blamed for how poorly they played.  They just simply stunk and its time for them to play better next game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGBeast. Show KGBeast's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adjustments for Game 3 : We're all trying to find reasons why the team lost.  But, its the playoffs.  Teams lose.  No team wins every night.  Some nights, the players just can't hit and don't play well.   I blame this on the players - they simply didn't play well.....just about everyone but KG.   He was 7 for 12 shooting with 12 rebounds.   Just about every other player just didn't play well.  No coach, no ref, and no injuries can be blamed for how poorly they played.  They just simply stunk and its time for them to play better next game.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

"You win some you lose some"

I think that's a cop out. I'm telling you that there are clear adjustments that Doc should have made that would have won us the game.
    - Get KG involved
    - Get more touches per possession during the half-court
    - Take BB, give Pietrus more minutes and put him on Iggy
    - Take PP off AI
    - Tell Rondo to do his job on the perimeter
    - Get Ray touches, but stop making him force his shot. All he needs is to milk the threat of his shot

I don't understand why they don't foul immediately at the end of the game. Everyone knows the shot clock resets at 14, so why waste until game clock is at 14.4 to committ that foul. That is on Doc/Rondo.

Yes, there was a free throw disparity. Yes, unfortunate late call on KG. Lack of energy. But close games like these, I'd like to see Doc get more involved with in-game adjustments.

Final point. How dissapointing was it to see both Ray and KG make such effortless 3's in those final seconds. That 76ers team really is susceptable to breaking down in close games. They don't have the experience. We should be owning them in the tight situations. Don't give this team any life.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adjustments for Game 3 : Cause he was double and sometimes tripple teamed. Unfortunately the other bigs (Bass, Steamer) couldn't convert their open looks. Pierce can't do anything and Rondo decided to pass outside, while being one foot away from the basket.
    Posted by Gasthoerer[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, in a series this tight, Rondo has to stop that passing away from the basket when he's got a shot at a layup nonsense.
    Keys to this series for the Celtics:
    1. KG scoring.
    2 Rondo playing smart and consistently
    3 Bench production.
    Not counting on PP anymore.  Until he rests that knee, he's fifty cents on the dollar.
    KG should be back in Game 3.  Rondo and the bench really need to bring it.
    Because of all of our injuries, I posted previously this series was a coin toss.  Haven't seen anything to change my mind.
    Oh, to have this team the way it was in March-April, when we were healthy and firing on all cylinders.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adjustments for Game 3 : Yeah, in a series this tight, Rondo has to stop that passing away from the basket when he's got a shot at a layup nonsense. Keys to this series for the Celtics: 1. KG scoring. 2 Rondo playing smart and consistently 3 Bench production. Not counting on PP anymore.  Until he rests that knee, he's fifty cents on the dollar. KG should be back in Game 3.  Rondo and the bench really need to bring it. Because of all of our injuries, I posted previously this series was a coin toss.  Haven't seen anything to change my mind. Oh, to have this team the way it was in March-April, when we were healthy and firing on all cylinders.
    Posted by breaktime[/QUOTE]

I expect Rondo to up his game. He has to. I dont like it when he constantly looks to pass when he is right under the basket, he needs to take the shot.
    There were two times in the 1st quarter when he had a easy layup and chose to pass, that resulted in a miss.

I hope Doc plays MP more and gives Sasha some minutes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]David West. If only he had said, "yes"
    Posted by futbal[/QUOTE]

Just what we needed yet some here felt Bass was providing just as much as West for less than half the $ .... Not Anymore!