Ainge looking to add another shooter to C's roster.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Ainge looking to add another shooter to C's roster.

Rudy Fernandez is in the C's rumor mill again. I'm just starting a discussion from this morning's article in the Globe with Danny Ainge.
        I would prefer a 6'7 or 6'8 defensive player with some speed to guard bigger small forwards. The C's already have 2 good outside shooters off the bench in Robinson and Wafer.
        I'm looking forward to see how Tony Gaffney plays during training camp. He's got the size we're looking for. The question is, does he have the defensive ability. I'm not so concerned about his offense.
        It's been said again and again that the C's are missing the likes of James Posey. Posey's gone, but somebody with half his defensive ability during his prime and similiar height would be a welcome to the C's roster.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Super77. Show Super77's posts

Re: Ainge looking to add another shooter to C's roster.

Fernandez is not a good defensive player. Yep, he can shoot but another European tofu. Push to shove he will bail out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

mem17, I'm with you.  I'd prefer a player who can defend more than a player like Fernandez.  Tony Allen, even at 6' 4'', gave Lebron trouble as a backup to Pierce.  Allen also slowed Kobe and Wade as a backup to Ray. 

Even if the Celtics can find a way to "teach" Fernandez how to play defense, he still weighs about a buck eighty-five.  I just don't know why we did not go after a guy like Nocioni.  Hopefully we go after Battier or back to Posey.  We know what we're getting from those guys.  Wishful thinking.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Great article about the C's trade options, which are slim to none and slim just left the building.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17173

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Good post by Bias-Lewis. That story sums up the C's options well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In Response to Re: Ainge looking to add another shooter to C's roster.:
    [QUOTE]Good post by Bias-Lewis. That story sums up the C's options well.
    Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

I think we've already come to this conclusion on this board in ad nauseum, no?

/> That leaves only three Celtics left: Oliver Lafayette, Tony Gaffney, and Glen Davis. Lafayette and Gaffney are both non-guaranteed contracts and combined could be traded for Fernandez, but Portland doesn't have the room on their roster and they would be waived. If Boston included a future first-round pick, there could be a discussion here. <

Any mention of Davis brings out the boo birds ad nauseum as well, so what's new here?

> With only Davis remaining, could something be worked out? Perhaps. Fernandez and Jerryd Bayless ($3.5 million combined) come closest to Davis' $3.3 million contract.<

Looks like the fellows at Hoopsworld have been reading our blog ... no?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

It was evident in last season's Finals that the Celtics can win even if Kobe is scoring at will. What the Celtics can't afford to do is let Gasol dominate the Celtic bigs. That's why I don't think that a guy like Rudy Fernandez will make or break the Celtics chances of winning another championship. Having said that, it won't hurt either if the Celtics can get him for Gaffney, Lafayette, and a pick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

even if Kobe is scoring at will

I must have missed that game ... he was pretty bad in game 7, no?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]Great article about the C's trade options, which are slim to none and slim just left the building. http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17173
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

This article does not consider one possibility.  A sign and trade for Brian Scalabrine.  My understanding is that a sign and trade contract has to be for three years.  But only the first year need be guaranrteed.  That plus a draft pick plus cash can get around the salary cap rules, provided Portland will accept the offer.  Ofcourse, this can be very expensive for Boston.  They will have to pay luxury tax for Rudy and may also have to pay Scal's salary and luxury tax bill to Portland.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from henryfinkel. Show henryfinkel's posts

In Response to Ainge looking to add another shooter to C's roster.:
    [QUOTE]Rudy Fernandez is in the C's rumor mill again. I'm just starting a discussion from this morning's article in the Globe with Danny Ainge.     I would prefer a 6'7 or 6'8 defensive player with some speed to guard bigger small forwards. The C's already have 2 good outside shooters off the bench in Robinson and Wafer.     I'm looking forward to see how Tony Gaffney plays during training camp. He's got the size we're looking for. The question is, does he have the defensive ability. I'm not so concerned about his offense.     It's been said again and again that the C's are missing the likes of James Posey. Posey's gone, but somebody with half his defensive ability during his prime and similiar height would be a welcome to the C's roster.

Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jokerblue. Show Jokerblue's posts

[QUOTE]It was evident in last season's Finals that the Celtics can win even if Kobe is scoring at will. What the Celtics can't afford to do is let Gasol dominate the Celtic bigs. That's why I don't think that a guy like Rudy Fernandez will make or break the Celtics chances of winning another championship. Having said that, it won't hurt either if the Celtics can get him for Gaffney, Lafayette, and a pick.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

Who are Gaffney and Lafayette? Please send this kids to Alaska...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

I'm confused, when did Fernandez' ok defense turn into Wafer's nonexistant defense? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]even if Kobe is scoring at will I must have missed that game ... he was pretty bad in game 7, no?
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

I was referring to Game 5, not Game 7. In Game 5 Gasol was a wuss, that's why the Celtics won. But you have to give him credit for bouncing back big time in Game 7. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Bryant wasn't that great at shooting in the Finals - period.  I think it's pretty darned difficult to put a strong comitment on D and shoot well.  PP guarded James well in the PO and shot terribly.  Also like the C's vets Bryant has had lots of mileage on his legs too. Now back to the discussion...

There really aren't the type of swingman available, nor was there last year when Finley was supposed to be PP's back up. That is to say they went to game 7 of the Finals with no real back up.

The C's will likely add one of Fernandez, West or Hughes - probably in that order of preference - because they are the best they can do with the obtainable talent for the last roster spot. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't think the Blazers will send Fernandez anywhere's because their asking price is too steep! He's a nice complimentry piece if you are looking for offense off the bench unfortunately he thinks he's a 35 minute a game starter...The waiver wire will be filled with JAGS like Fernandez and if you get lucky you might actually hit on a winner.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

The agent is trying to force the issue, Portland is looking for the best deal they can get. There's still time for the BS to sort itself out. He's more than offense off the bench - that's Wafer or his somewhat better half brother Hughes.  Fernandez can shoot consistantly (unlike Wafer) drive, pass, move and is adept at steals. 

If Fernandez were a JAG no team would offer a thing. He's no MVP yet either, but some think he could eventually start.  Fernandez should be a significant cog. He does not fit in Portland.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Cavs to rebuild if below 500 by trading deadline ... just as predicted.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Cavaliers-at-sub-500-to-blow-up-roster-at-tra;_ylt=AsiuP5SkUhmVq4UUlNs4eJK8vLYF?urn=nba-266303

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Via Reds Army... Delonte rumored to be having physical.  He's better than Hughes.

www.redsarmy.com/home/2010/08/another-unsubstantiated-delonte-rumor.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RedsArmy+%28Red%27s+Army%3A+The+Voice+Of+Celtics+Fans%29

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]Via Reds Army... Delonte rumored to be having physical.  He's better than Hughes. www.redsarmy.com/home/2010/08/another-unsubstantiated-delonte-rumor.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RedsArmy+%28Red%27s+Army%3A+The+Voice+Of+Celtics+Fans%29
    Posted by croc[/QUOTE]

Wonder if Doc has the final say ....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

One writer thinks the C's are still in the market for a shooter ... Odd, no?

http://www.examiner.com/nba-in-national/boston-celtics-sign-delonte-west-danny-ainge-continues-to-bolster-roster

/>> With the uncertainty of consistent production from guards Marquis Daniels and Von Wafer coupled with Ray Allen's age the need for a proven back up option at the guard position is crucial for the C's success this coming season.  West can play either the one or the two and has the ability to defend admirably as well.  The Celtics' may still be in need of another shooter to help space the floor, but all things considered on paper the move to bring back West is solid. <<

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]One writer thinks the C's are still in the market for a shooter ... Odd, no? http://www.examiner.com/nba-in-national/boston-celtics-sign-delonte-west-danny-ainge-continues-to-bolster-roster /> /> With the uncertainty of consistent production from guards Marquis Daniels and Von Wafer coupled with Ray Allen 's age the need for a proven back up option at the guard position is crucial for the C's success this coming season.  West can play either the one or the two and has the ability to defend admirably as well.  The Celtics' may still be in need of another shooter to help space the floor , but all things considered on paper the move to bring back West is solid. <<
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

Let me guess, you're still hoping that the Celtics will get Rudy Fernandez from Portland, right?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

How did that getting another shooter work out for ya?