Ainge not close to a deal.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Ainge not close to a deal.

On Asik trade rumors: “I have no indication of that, other than the rumors. I have no indication, in my dealings with and calls with other teams, that we’re close to doing a deal.”

A few other reports are saying that, the Celtics have made an offer which the Rockets rejected. Looks like no one else is realy beating the Celtics offer, so Houston likely either has to deal with us or take the Asik off the table.

All this is barring another team swooping in at the last minute. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Re: Ainge not close to a deal.

I think that you're right that the Celtics have made their best and final offer, but it hasn't been rejected by the Rockets.  

Rather, they are probably just letting it simmer and waiting until their self imposed deadline today for a better offer, otherwise, I fully expect that Bass, Lee and a pick go to Houston and we get Asik and filler by the end of the day.  I personnaly like that deal.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkiller. Show greenkiller's posts

@WojYahooNBA: Houston has ended talks on an Omer Asik trade and plan to keep him for now, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

m.twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

@WojYahooNBA: Houston has found too many teams leery of Asik's contract next season, and hasn't found a deal it wants.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkiller. Show greenkiller's posts

@WojYahooNBA: Houston had created a self-imposed deadline of today, but remember: the trade deadline is still two months away.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

I think that you're right that the Celtics have made their best and final offer, but it hasn't been rejected by the Rockets.  

Rather, they are probably just letting it simmer and waiting until their self imposed deadline today for a better offer, otherwise, I fully expect that Bass, Lee and a pick go to Houston and we get Asik and filler by the end of the day.  I personnaly like that deal.  

I do too. We save some money and get elite defense and rebounding. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkiller. Show greenkiller's posts

@WojYahooNBA: Houston GM Daryl Morey has also informed Asik's agent, Arn Tellem, that he's ended talks about a trade for his client, source tells Yahoo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to greenkiller's comment:
    [QUOTE]

@WojYahooNBA: Houston has ended talks on an Omer Asik trade and plan to keep him for now, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

@WojYahooNBA: Houston has found too many teams leery of Asik's contract next season, and hasn't found a deal it wants.

[/QUOTE]

Seems like that could be bad for their locker room. I mean, publicy you state a guy is going to be gone by a certain date, and then, tell him, whoops looks like you're here a few more months. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

That doesn't make sense to me.

If they keep Asik, then they will lose all their negotiating power in last minute deals at the trade deadline (which Danny and everybody else is aware of).  They will be forced to pull the trigger out of desparation or deal with his upcoming contract or lose him altogether in FA.  

The best deal(s) they will get are on the table now.  They will only get worse down the road IMO.  Epecially when the Cs, and others in need of a center, can pursue other deals too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

That doesn't make sense to me.

If they keep Asik, then they will lose all their negotiating power in last minute deals at the trade deadline (which Danny and everybody else is aware of).  They will be forced to pull the trigger out of desparation or deal with his upcoming contract or lose him altogether in FA.  

The best deal(s) they will get are on the table now.  They will only get worse down the road IMO.  Epecially when the Cs, and others in need of a center, can pursue other deals too.

Not to mention the fact, they want to trade him out East so Dwight doesn't face his defense in the playoffs.  Problem is Atlanta, has Horford. Brooklyn, Lopez, the Pacers Hibbert, Pistons Drummond, Bobcats Jefferson and the Heat have nothing to offer the rockets but very late round picks.  

So that leads rebuilding teams, like the sixers and celtics. The Sixers (and others) will take a few years to develop their draft picks, So by the time Wiggens, Parker or whoever, hits his prime the 29 year old Asik will be past his. It doesn't make any sense for them to go after Asik.

That leaves The Celtics who were the only team with their multiple draft picks, and collection of assets, who could trade for a player like Asik and hope to compete before his prime is over.  Meaning if the Celtics gave the best offer, Houston isn't likely to get anyone (out east anyway) to top it.

It's almost as if Houston would rather just let him rot on the bench. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In terms of Player Efficiency Ratings for centers, Asik is ranked 40th in the NBA behind Jermaine O'Neal and Vitor Faverani.

He is, however, ahead of Kelly Olynyk.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/c 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Yes, but PER doesn't account for defense. His calling card. The Rockets were ten points better (an absurdly high number) when he was on the floor. Not to mention only one other person in the NBA had more rebounds per 36 minutes than he did.

And he actually led the NBA in contested rebounds. You know rebounds where he had to fight for them as opposed to the ones that just land in your hands.

In the advanced stat of win shares. Asik, actually had more last year, than Paul Pierce, Rondo, or KG.

And Finally: He is a good screener.

Asik. is a good player and would have been worth the price Danny offered. I wouldn't over pay for him though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to chris33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In terms of Player Efficiency Ratings for centers, Asik is ranked 40th in the NBA behind Jermaine O'Neal and Vitor Faverani.

He is, however, ahead of Kelly Olynyk.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/c 

[/QUOTE]

+1

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to jtkl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes, but PER doesn't account for defense. His calling card. The Rockets were ten points better (an absurdly high number) when he was on the floor. Not to mention only one other person in the NBA had more rebounds per 36 minutes than he did.

And he actually led the NBA in contested rebounds. You know rebounds where he had to fight for them as opposed to the ones that just land in your hands.

In the advanced stat of win shares. Asik, actually had more last year, than Paul Pierce, Rondo, or KG.

Asik. is a good player and would have been worth the price Danny offered. I wouldn't over pay for him though.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  His value is his defensive presence and rim protector.  and comparatively would be an offensive improvement over stone-hands Perkins. 

Morey is treading on dangerous grounds.  IF he breaks his stated deadline, then he is renegging on his own negotiation stipulations and hurts his credibility and trust.  

It may just be a final ploy (I'm sure Danny is no trading angel either) and Kevin will help push the deal through.

If I'm Ainge, I say that deal was only acceptable if done today because it gives teams the flexibility to move players again this year, otherwise, Celtics offer is off the table. and go eat Shi*.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Danny Ainge is smarter than the average bear.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to chris33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Danny Ainge is smarter than the average bear.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  He may not be a wizard in the draft (who is?) but he is one tough and effective trade negotiator.    

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

The way I see it, if 1/4 of C's fans hate the trade as discussed for a player, and 1/4 love it, with the middle 1/2 figuring it is about right then that is pretty close to the value of the player.  Bass, Lee, and a 2015 1st round pick is about his value.  If Houston does not agree then they will likely have a very unhappy, under utilized player on their bench screwing up their chemistry.  I highly doubt they get much more for him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Yup.  Its a fair deal.  If anything, favors Houston a bit IMO.  I wouldn't be disappointed if it fell through and I would approve if it happened.  

But no way do I cave in for a 2014 pick instead of 2015, or multiple future picks.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I'm guessing Houston realised that publicly announcing that you're trading a player because he's not happy is not the best way to conduct business.  Then, including your own self-imposed deadline only makes it more difficult to get a good deal.  

As others point out in this thread, the list of teams for which he is a fit is limited.  Do they think that ending talks with potential trade partners all of a sudden gives them leverage when/if they resume talks?  What about the situation will change if the Rockets wait a few more weeks to trade him?  He still wants out and the number of teams in the eastern conference that have the assets or need will still be the same. 

This whole Houston process has looked stupid from the start strategy-wise.  And if there is any truth to what they've been offered for Asik, I think it's about as good as it's gonna get.  It's probably posturing to get the Celts to up the ante on which draft pick gets included. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jtkl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  His value is his defensive presence and rim protector.  and comparatively would be an offensive improvement over stone-hands Perkins. 

Morey is treading on dangerous grounds.  IF he breaks his stated deadline, then he is renegging on his own negotiation stipulations and hurts his credibility and trust.  

It may just be a final ploy (I'm sure Danny is no trading angel either) and Kevin will help push the deal through.

If I'm Ainge, I say that deal was only acceptable if done today because it gives teams the flexibility to move players again this year, otherwise, Celtics offer is off the table. and go eat Shi*.  

[/QUOTE]

Exactly ... he's proven himself to be a liar by not taking the deal he said he already had on the table (if there ever was one) if a better one didn't present itself by 12/19.

And what about Philly ... were they that other team? Did they really want Asik? More likely they figured they could flip Asik and get more for him at the trade deadline than they could for Hawes. Philly has less than 24 hours now to ante up a better offer or they won't be able to retrade Asik and then they are out of it.

Talk about biting off your nose [Houston] to spite your face! I can't see Philly swapping after the 20th cause then they are stuck with Asik and his $15MM salary for 2014-15'. If anything, Philly has learned that there aren't too many teams at this point willing to take on that contract so who will they be able to flip it to in Feb? The contenders won't need him and for the pretenders it may be too late. At least taking it now may mean making the playoffs for some teams and amortizes the contract over two years ... $10MM/yr isn't too bad. But getting Asik in Feb when there are only a few weeks left to the season means Morey got the best of you. Will Philly give Houston Hawes and a 2014 1st round pick for Asik? I doubt it ... if they would then the C's wouldn't have come this close to a deal.

And that brings up a question. If Houston wanted Hawes and a 1st Rd Pick (2014) from Philly for Asik then what will Philly take for Hawes?  How bout Bogans and our 2015 pick?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Rather, they are probably just letting it simmer and waiting until their self imposed deadline today for a better offer,"

They backed off their self-imposed deadline because they realized they were taking away their own leverage. 

They wanted Millsap from the Hawks much more than what the Celtics had but the Hawks weren't going there. 

" If anything, favors Houston a bit IMO"

I guess it depends on how much you value Asik but the stats guys love his defense and I'm not surprised Houston backed off from low value Celts players they didn't want..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

Mployee, Cs don't want Hawes.   You don't go after any player just because he's available.   Hawes doesn't add anything to the pfs on the team now.   He's basically a jump shooting center.   Not a bad player, but adds nothing on the boards or defense.   Both are the qualities that the Cs are looking for.   He's also not a post up center.   Cs don't want Hawes just because he is available.   Definitely not for a high pick, the money he probably gets and if you're really building a team then their are probably better options that will come about in the future.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

You would think Hou would be willing to take Wallace and a pick for Asik. I'm on the fence about Asik, he doesn't stink but he's not great either. Wallace with Big Clown would be a good defensive frontline and GW is used to cleaning up or spot up 3 s. Wallace is from the Gulf area and would probably be happy with the move. I just think if I was McHale, I would want Wallace if I was serious about this year. Oh well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to docc's comment:

Mployee, Cs don't want Hawes.   You don't go after any player just because he's available.   Hawes doesn't add anything to the pfs on the team now.   He's basically a jump shooting center.   Not a bad player, but adds nothing on the boards or defense.   Both are the qualities that the Cs are looking for.   He's also not a post up center.   Cs don't want Hawes just because he is available.   Definitely not for a high pick, the money he probably gets and if you're really building a team then their are probably better options that will come about in the future.

Hawes fits Brad's system of spreading the floor and shooting the three ... he's an affective rebounder too and a better shot blocker than Asik so he's not as shabby on defense as you think and he'd be an easier resign or flip if necessary.