Ainge's Deadline Moves Were Brilliant.......except one

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Ainge's Deadline Moves Were Brilliant.......except one

The 5 players Ainge brought in at/after the deadline make the Celtics a significantly better team, for the 2011 playoffs and for the future.

But I just don't understand giving away Semih Erden , especially with Shaq and Jermaine injured all season.

Maybe if there was a player coming to the C's , but for a 2nd round pick ?

Just don't understand why they gave the guy away for nothing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Re: Ainge's Deadline Moves Were Brilliant.......except one

I read somewhere that Semih was homesick and was going to go back and play in turkey after this season.  This might be the reason for the gift to Clevland.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

..why is brilliant?
       he just replaced them with leftovers shasha-arroyo-murphy
       none of them are good.

he messed up the core !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

He messed up the core!  Hah!  How?  By trading the one guy Che has been lobbying to get rid of for years!?  Are you finally admitting that Perk was a valuable piece?  If so, pretty hypocritical. 

Perk was the one thing Ainge parted with that had any value to this team for the present.   Harangody, Daniels, Robinson and Erden are all inferior to the players brought in here the only one who would've seen extensive time in the playoffs was Daniels, and he's done for the year. 

Sasha, Murphy, Arroyo and Green all have legit NBA resumes.  I'd rather have Perk than Krystic, but then again I'd rather have a healthy Shaq than Perk.     

Messed up the core!  Che, you are too funny. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Ainge's Deadline Moves Were Brilliant.......except one:
    [QUOTE]He messed up the core!  Hah!  How?  By trading the one guy Che has been lobbying to get rid of for years!?  Are you finally admitting that Perk was a valuable piece?  If so, pretty hypocritical.  Perk was the one thing Ainge parted with that had any value to this team for the present.   Harangody, Daniels, Robinson and Erden are all inferior to the players brought in here the only one who would've seen extensive time in the playoffs was Daniels, and he's done for the year.  Sasha, Murphy, Arroyo and Green all have legit NBA resumes.  I'd rather have Perk than Krystic, but then again I'd rather have a healthy Shaq than Perk.      Messed up the core!  Che, you are too funny. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

Let's be realistic about this... the Cs traded their second best center and a guard that had lost his game for OKC's second best center and a very good young player.  All the rest is roster filler.  Playoff rotations shorten not lengthen.  Here is the playoff rotation:

Shaq starting with Krstic off the bench with Baby playing some minutes at the 5 as well.

KG starting with Baby as a backup.

Pierce starting with Green as the Back up.

Ray starting with West / Green playing some at the two.

Rondo starting with West / Arroyo.

So while 11 guys may play in games the minutes will be limited for the non-starters.

I love the idea of Krstic being able to go against back ups - a second unit of Krstic, Green, West, and Baby with one of the BIG 3 is a pretty good team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

[QUOTE]He messed up the core!  Hah!  How?  By trading the one guy Che has been lobbying to get rid of for years!?  Are you finally admitting that Perk was a valuable piece?  If so, pretty hypocritical.  Perk was the one thing Ainge parted with that had any value to this team for the present.   Harangody, Daniels, Robinson and Erden are all inferior to the players brought in here the only one who would've seen extensive time in the playoffs was Daniels, and he's done for the year.  Sasha, Murphy, Arroyo and Green all have legit NBA resumes.  I'd rather have Perk than Krystic, but then again I'd rather have a healthy Shaq than Perk.      Messed up the core!  Che, you are too funny. 

Nope I'm talking about the 2nd unit, replaced by the 3 rejects Shasha-Murphy-Arroyo.

I'm elated when Perk got traded --- Che's christmas gifts & asking Perk to be traded for many years. Krstic has a balance skill. He can score and defend.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Dudder - the issue is not the OKC trade.  Its the Cleveland trade that gave away a big in exchange for a 2nd round pick......at a time when Perk was going, JON was hurt, and Shaq was hurt.

That's the issue. The other trades were fine, but we just don't have a big front line.  Krstic is great, but not a strong guy on D and we just aren't the same Defensive team (and no, its not just Perk. Its the fact that we aren't playing the same D for many reasons and our help with big guys is not there).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Dudder - the issue is not the OKC trade.  Its the Cleveland trade that gave away a big in exchange for a 2nd round pick......at a time when Perk was going, JON was hurt, and Shaq was hurt. That's the issue. The other trades were fine, but we just don't have a big front line.  Krstic is great, but not a strong guy on D and we just aren't the same Defensive team (and no, its not just Perk. Its the fact that we aren't playing the same D for many reasons and our help with big guys is not there).
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

I am a big Semih fan, I was very disappointed by the move but I thought it was because there was something big that was going to happen that necessitated the move.

I'll give you a perfect example - people were crazed when the Sox let V Mart go blah blah, then Tito said Youk is planning to play, people said ohV Mart could play first, catch, dh, etc..... Tito again said Youk working out anticipating playing third but nobody could come right out and say they were getting Gonzo... then they got Gonzo and it should have been no surprise - they freed up the V Mart money and moved Youk to third but nobody could see the Gonzo move coming.

Does that make sense?

I guess what I am saying is I thought there was a move coming after the Semih move - so maybe there was and it fell through or there are the other rumors - Semih was injured and homesick, who knows?

I think they are working on their golf swing without Shaq but with a healthy Shaq and Krstic off the bench with Baby playing some 5, I think they are fine.  But no Shaq - no title, Shaq - title.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

In Response to Ainge's Deadline Moves Were Brilliant.......except one:
    [QUOTE]The 5 players Ainge brought in at/after the deadline make the Celtics a significantly better team, for the 2011 playoffs and for the future. But I just don't understand giving away Semih Erden , especially with Shaq and Jermaine injured all season. Maybe if there was a player coming to the C's , but for a 2nd round pick ? Just don't understand why they gave the guy away for nothing.
    Posted by PHX85014[/QUOTE]

PHX,
    I think SE would've been irrelevant in the playoffs. Especially considering his nagging injuries. He served very well in the absence of Shaq and Perk. Now that Celtics have very good, fully functioning C and returning Shaq plus a warm body of TM, I guess, DA decided to beef up backups for RR, RA and PP instead of having 5th C. Also, I suspect that DA, knowing the actual status of JON much better than anyone on this forum, plans to use him in the playoffs (personally, I'm very sceptical of this happening).

AK

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I dont think dumping Semi was such a big deal.

Always injured and rarely on the floor.  Even with the Cavs, I just checked their last box score, he didnt play.

The guy was prob a big toss of the coin whether he could even play at all.... and frankly, he really wasnt too good. Didnt rebound much, fouled alot but yea, he did have a few dunks... I guess thats what excited everyone.

Its a non issue cause DA & Doc feel both Shaq & JON will be available for the playoffs... now, if theyre not, Semi wouldnt pick up the slack anyway.

A nothing transaction imo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

But who would you rather have?   Semih or Shasha

Semih or Murphy?

these two are old - rusted and leftovers Semih is big 7 young and has potential.

Guarantee arroyo-shasha-murphy gone next year.
    I dont think dumping Semi was such a big deal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]I dont think dumping Semi was such a big deal. Always injured and rarely on the floor.  Even with the Cavs, I just checked their last box score, he didnt play. The guy was prob a big toss of the coin whether he could even play at all.... and frankly, he really wasnt too good. Didnt rebound much, fouled alot but yea, he did have a few dunks... I guess thats what excited everyone. Its a non issue cause DA & Doc feel both Shaq & JON will be available for the playoffs... now, if theyre not, Semi wouldnt pick up the slack anyway. A nothing transaction imo
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

I don't think "DA and Doc feel both Shaq and JO will be back for the playoffs", I think in their darkest moments they know they are getting zilch from Jermaine and they don't "feel" Shaq will be here for the playoffs - they hope and pray and are willing to sell their soul for Shaq to be ready for the playoffs.

Without Shaq - no title, with Shaq - light it up Red.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ainge's Deadline Moves Were Brilliant.......except one : no Shaq - no title, Shaq - title.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]
    a title w/ shaq despite of our dogshyt pg? am i getting this right? because you'll need to put a don't get me wrong, Cs still win it all as long as shaq shows up disclaimer at the end of all future rondo bash essays.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bertie-wooster2. Show bertie-wooster2's posts

The trades are complex. Some moves I approve, like getting Arroyo to back up Rondo. But getting rid of Perkins hurts the team this year. Jeff Green is a good player with a lot of upside, but Perk is more valuable to the team this year. He anchored the defense and defense wins championships.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ainge's Deadline Moves Were Brilliant.......except one : I don't think "DA and Doc feel both Shaq and JO will be back for the playoffs", I think in their darkest moments they know they are getting zilch from Jermaine and they don't "feel" Shaq will be here for the playoffs - they hope and pray and are willing to sell their soul for Shaq to be ready for the playoffs. Without Shaq - no title, with Shaq - light it up Red.

DA said shortly after the trade he was confident both JON & Shaq would be healthy & availaBLE  for the playoffs...

Think for a second, if he didnt really believe this... do you think he'd dump both Perk & Semi??

Pickin up Kristic was great... maybe btw Kristic & BBD that could fill the 5 for the playoffs?   Cant see the logic in that

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]But who would you rather have?   Semih or Shasha Semih or Murphy? these two are old - rusted and leftovers Semih is big 7 young and has potential. Guarantee arroyo-shasha-murphy gone next year. I dont think dumping Semi was such a big deal.
    Posted by CHEisCHE[/QUOTE]

Rather have the rejects cause its doubtful Semi even plays and hes not that good anyway.

I havent checked but how many games has Semi missed for the Cavs since the trade? I checked the last box score and didnt see his name on the roster.

The guy was damaged goods when he got here...shoulder a mess and needs surgery... then other problems...

Ill take the rejects, at least theyre on the floor and playing decent ball in general.. something Semi didnt do consistently

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]But who would you rather have?   Semih or Shasha Semih or Murphy? these two are old - rusted and leftovers Semih is big 7 young and has potential. Guarantee arroyo-shasha-murphy gone next year. I dont think dumping Semi was such a big deal.

OK, i just checked... Semi has played 11 minutes total since being traded to the Cavs.

Case closed

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ainge's Deadline Moves Were Brilliant.......except one : DA said shortly after the trade he was confident both JON & Shaq would be healthy & availaBLE  for the playoffs... Think for a second, if he didnt really believe this... do you think he'd dump both Perk & Semi?? Pickin up Kristic was great... maybe btw Kristic & BBD that could fill the 5 for the playoffs?   Cant see the logic in that  

Perk was going no matter what - Danny was not going to let Perk walk for nothing after the season so I think if both O'Neals were completely healthy or both retired Perk was going.

I thought I knew the salary cap fairly well but how do you trade two players drawing salaries for a draft pick when the traded players' salaries need to be within 15% and $100k?  I still don't understand that - two players making $XX for zero salary in return.  I don't get it, will you enlighten me?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ainge's Deadline Moves Were Brilliant.......except one : Perk was going no matter what - Danny was not going to let Perk walk for nothing after the season so I think if both O'Neals were completely healthy or both retired Perk was going. I thought I knew the salary cap fairly well but how do you trade two players drawing salaries for a draft pick when the traded players' salaries need to be within 15% and $100k?  I still don't understand that - two players making $XX for zero salary in return.  I don't get it, will you enlighten me?

I will not enlighten you because I have no clue how it all works... and dont want to know.  Thats one part of being a fan I dont like.... hearing about contracts on ESPN or salary caps bores the **** out of me.. lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ainge's Deadline Moves Were Brilliant.......except one : I will not enlighten you because I have no clue how it all works... and dont want to know.  Thats one part of being a fan I dont like.... hearing about contracts on ESPN or salary caps bores the **** out of me.. lol

I hear you on that, I was just curious.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

It's weird looking at the bench now. It's almost like we have seen two entirely different teams. The problems we see now are mainly due to the fact THIS WILL NOT BE OUR PLAYOFF BENCH. The C's made the most changes at the break and still haven't got the guys back that they are counting on.

It's growing pains for sure. I still like the trades but while all the other teams have seen what they are taking into the playoffs, we haven't seen it for the Cs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Semih Erden is a rookie with a lot to learn about the NBA game.  Plus he's hurt.  He wasn't going to contribute in the playoffs.  He has some upside, sure, but Troy Murphy has averaged a double-double in this league, as recently as last year in fact, and he can help this team today.  Trading Erden and Harangody for a roster spot was worth it to get a guy who can play today.   

Sasha is a capable veteran replacement for a guy, Daniels, whose career is in jeapordy.  Ainge got a roster spot by trading Daniels.  How is that a bad thing?  Arroyo is better than Robinson, who proved time after time that he can't be a BU PG and he's at best a streaky, undersized 2.  I'd trust Arroyo with minutes over Robinson any day. 

Can someone tell me how losing Robinson hurts this team, how trading Daniels for a roster spot hurts this team, how losing two rookies who weren't really playing hurts this team?  How has the 2nd unit been hurt?  If anything, it's better with Green.  I'd argue injuries to West, Daniels and JO have hurt the 2nd unit more than trading 3 guys (Harangody, Erden and Robinson) who are marginal NBA players. 

If someone wants to say that losing Perk is not a big deal, I'd disagree despite the fact that Kristic is a better player than I thought.  If Shaq and/or JO are healthy, I will feel better about the Perk trade.

The 2nd unit hasn't been hurt by the trades, but rather injuries.  And Semih has been replaced by a much better player in Kristic.         

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

[QUOTE]I dont think dumping Semi was such a big deal. Always injured and rarely on the floor.  Even with the Cavs, I just checked their last box score, he didnt play. The guy was prob a big toss of the coin whether he could even play at all.... and frankly, he really wasnt too good. Didnt rebound much, fouled alot but yea, he did have a few dunks... I guess thats what excited everyone. Its a non issue cause DA & Doc feel both Shaq & JON will be available for the playoffs... now, if theyre not, Semi wouldnt pick up the slack anyway. A nothing transaction imo

I agree. He wasn't very good. Krstic is way better for sure.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]Semih Erden is a rookie with a lot to learn about the NBA game.  Plus he's hurt.  He wasn't going to contribute in the playoffs.  He has some upside, sure, but Troy Murphy has averaged a double-double in this league, as recently as last year in fact, and he can help this team today.  Trading Erden and Harangody for a roster spot was worth it to get a guy who can play today.    Sasha is a capable veteran replacement for a guy, Daniels, whose career is in jeapordy.  Ainge got a roster spot by trading Daniels.  How is that a bad thing?  Arroyo is better than Robinson, who proved time after time that he can't be a BU PG and he's at best a streaky, undersized 2.  I'd trust Arroyo with minutes over Robinson any day.  Can someone tell me how losing Robinson hurts this team, how trading Daniels for a roster spot hurts this team, how losing two rookies who weren't really playing hurts this team?  How has the 2nd unit been hurt?  If anything, it's better with Green.  I'd argue injuries to West, Daniels and JO have hurt the 2nd unit more than trading 3 guys (Harangody, Erden and Robinson) who are marginal NBA players.  If someone wants to say that losing Perk is not a big deal, I'd disagree despite the fact that Kristic is a better player than I thought.  If Shaq and/or JO are healthy, I will feel better about the Perk trade. The 2nd unit hasn't been hurt by the trades, but rather injuries.  And Semih has been replaced by a much better player in Kristic.         

Good post, agree with you

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]..why is brilliant?    he just replaced them with leftovers shasha-arroyo-murphy    none of them are good. he messed up the core !
    have you watched any of the games comrade? you must invest in that capitalist TV as you have on your internet!