Allen Iverson wants to return to the NBA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Allen Iverson wants to return to the NBA

He's 36 now and obviously not the HOF-level talent he was during his first stint with the Sixers. But if he truly wants back in the league, and is willing to accept any role, he's certainly worth a look for the veteran's minimum as Rondo's backup and extra depth at SG. I know the Celtics are already old, but it's okay to add geriatrics when you only envision limited minutes for them anyway. Iverson stays in great shape and should be effective for 15 minutes per game. I'd be more concerned about his massive ego than his skills. Would he really be able to accept a reserve role?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6643619

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics2008Champs. Show Celtics2008Champs's posts

Re: Allen Iverson wants to return to the NBA

he'd play 6 minutes max. and if hes around 2 million than ill take him

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

Bad idea. He would say all the right things until about ten games into the season when he would begin whining about not starting. It's happened before.

But Danny loves signing washed up veterans. And he's not the shapest tool in the shed. So I wouldn't put it past him.

Wasn't it 2006 when the Celtics supposedly offered the 7th pick and Wally Szczerbiak for AI ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Allen Iverson wants to return to the NBA:
    [QUOTE]Bad idea. He would say all the right things until about ten games into the season when he would begin whining about not starting. It's happened before. But Danny loves signing washed up veterans. And he's not the shapest tool in the shed. So I wouldn't put it past him. Wasn't it 2006 when the Celtics supposedly offered the 7th pick and Wally Szczerbiak for AI ?
    Posted by df2[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about Iverson.  He would be able to contribute, but after a short-time would be very disruptive and expect to start.   It would definitely not be a good idea. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]ROTFLMAO!!!!!
    Posted by RicoCeltic[/QUOTE]
    seriously, this is hilarious! kind of like saying lebron would be greater than mj or that shaq will be back (oh wait...). nah, AI is only relevant if we cant re-sign west or get a guy like grant hill. there are so many other players who are better matches esp on the injury front. time for AI to call it a day, this is worse than dominique wilkins at the end of his road.  he may fit in with miami. but the guy plays NO DEFENSE and he's a "volume" scorer.. which means he still cant SHOOT! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Bad idea.  He's poison.  Won't help.  Will hog the ball trying to be the AI of old.  Hates practice.  Someone in the locker room would deck him within two weeks.  Danny won't do it, has other bigger holes to fill.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Players have a way of mellowing when they realize their opportunities for redemption will be limited to one last attempt. I also think Doc Rivers and Kevin Garnett do an excellent job of containing troublemakers. Shaquille O'Neal said it's one of the things he most respected about Doc Rivers and the Celtics.

We heard that Stephon Marbury would destroy team chemistry (never happened). We heard that Rasheed Wallace would destroy team chemistry (never happened). We heard that Shaquille O'Neal would destroy team chemistry (never happened). After the way Allen Iverson last departed the NBA, he's in no position to misbehave. One more misstep and he'll be gone, not just from the Celtics, but from all of professional basketball. He's not an idiot. He knows he no longer possesses the superlative talent that allowed previous teams to tolerate his personality flaws. He also knows he's only got a year or two left, and needs a championship ring to validate his Hall of Fame career. If he only cared about playing time, he wouldn't have forced his way off the '09 Memphis Grizzlies.

When you're a team of limited cap space and trade assets, you have to take chances on guys like Allen Iverson. It's the only way to add potential talent. This worked tremendously well with Delonte West, whose off-court problems and depression issues dwarf those of Iverson's. The beauty of signing a guy for the veteran's minimum is that if the marriage fails, there's no significant financial loss or difficulty in finding a replacement. The moment Iverson causes any kind of disturbance, release him. It's that simple. Also, if he actually plays at a level that makes him attractive to other teams as a starter, then he becomes a tradeable asset. There's really no downside to obtaining Iverson, unless the Celtics could sign someone better for the same dollars. I'm not saying he's my first choice, only that he should be in the conversation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Yeah I think this team needs to get even older! That's been working out great.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Yeah I think this team needs to get even older! That's been working out great.

Yes, it has actually. Ray Allen was the best Celtic last year and Shaquille O'Neal played very well during the first 30+ games. Jermaine O'Neal had a strong playoffs. I'm more interested in skill and endurance than I am in youth. Remember those Pierce-led lottery teams? They were plenty young. How did that work out?

The Celtics should sign people because they can play basketball at a high level, not because they're young. Of course health should be a factor too because a player can't contribute much from the inactive list. But health is not solely a function of age. Conditioning and prior injury history matter too. You also have to consider the role the team envisions for the player. Signing a late 30-something to play 30+ mintes per game would generally be crazy, unless it's a freak of nature like Ray Allen or Jason Kidd. Signing a late 30-something to play 10-20 minutes a night is less problematic. That's the role Iverson would potentially fill on the Celtics.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

[QUOTE]After the way Allen Iverson last departed the NBA, he's in no position to misbehave. One more misstep and he'll be gone, not just from the Celtics, but from all of professional basketball. He's not an idiot. He knows he no longer possesses the superlative talent that allowed previous teams to tolerate his personality flaws. He also knows he's only got a year or two left, and needs a championship ring to validate his Hall of Fame career. If he only cared about playing time, he wouldn't have forced his way off the '09 Memphis Grizzlies.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

No he doesn't realize any of that. As evidenced in Memphis. Your problem is, you're thinking like a normal person- not a superstar athlete. What we see when we look at AI is not what he sees when he looks at himself. I can just about guarantee you he still thinks he's a superstar and that he should be starting. 

In order to make to the top of any sport there is an extreme amount of self confidence required- almost to the point of delusion. Not many athetes know when it's over. And AI has proven he is no different.

And I don't get your Grizzlies argument. He left because he wasn't starting. So I'm not following you.

As far it being a low risk move? You're right- to a point. The problem is if it doesn't work out, and there's a very good chance it doesn't, you just wasted a roster spot on player that didn't help your team. What makes it even worse, is that while you were experimenting with AI, players that could have helped your team and were available are now locked up elsewhere.

And as far a ring goes AI was in the same spot two years ago. He was washed up. And instead of taking a backup spot on a contender he chose to sign with a team that had no shot in the hopes he would get a starting spot. What's different now?

AI doesn't care about a ring. He just wants to start somewhere. AI is selfish. He always has been. That's not something people grow out of. And even if it was I'm pretty sure it would have happened by now. He's pushing 40.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Love the idea of AI in green on paper, but we all know better (after this season) to pencil in a 36yr old vet for 15-20 guaranteed minutes for 82 games + 25 playoff games.........it sounds easier than it is.

15 minutes of Iverson every night sounds great, but 20+ minutes sounds scary , like Danny and Doc would be crazy to depend on another old man holding up over 100 + games......

I'd make a play for Tony Parker or Steve Nash before I'd even look at AI

I think AI is as done as Vin Baker and his next public appearance will not be in the NBA, but on Celebrity Rehab with Dr Drew (sharing a room with Steven Tyler)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Allen Iverson wants to return to the NBA?  Good, the Cavs need a water boy!  Maybe he can help somebody, but I have my doubts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from N2thaIzzo. Show N2thaIzzo's posts

I'm not gonna bash Iverson.  Dude was a beast back in the day, however, I don't think he'd be a good fit here.  I would welcome him if he did come, but the fact that he has severe limitations make it hard to envision him being a part of the team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not gonna bash Iverson.  Dude was a beast back in the day, however, I don't think he'd be a good fit here.  I would welcome him if he did come, but the fact that he has severe limitations make it hard to envision him being a part of the team.
    Posted by N2thaIzzo[/QUOTE]
    You're right, Iverson does deserve some respect.  He accomplished a lot.  Here and there, he got involved in a little bit of controversey, but was basically a pretty good guy.  He wouldn't be a good fit on the Celts or Cavs. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Iverson is a cancer. He was a lazy, disrespectful, classless, and selfish player. He is a destroy of team chemistry. I hope the Lakers pick him up!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

...destroyer of team chemistry.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]...destroyer of team chemistry.
    Posted by guyfromtex[/QUOTE]
    I agree.  His particular style of play, he needs to have the ball a lot.  At his advanced age, I don't think he could continue to do his style effectively.  I'm not sure he could convert to be an effective team player.  Also, in the past he did admit to being wrong when he stirred controversy.  That is a good and bad thing.  My opinion, not a good fit for Celts or Cavs.