an apology, a "told ya so", and a "what if?"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

an apology, a "told ya so", and a "what if?"

first the apology: sorry to those of you who have been saying for a couple of years now that rondo is overrated and that we should trade him. you were right. i was wrong. i like rondo, but i was wrong. hopefully he will recover fully from his surgery and we will be able to move him before next year's trade deadline for something we sorely need, like a deadly 3-point shooter or a true center who can rebound. bradley or someone else can handle the point.

the "told ya so": i've been saying all along that green needs  more PT. he showed last night why he should be a starter every night, either at the 3 or at the 4. at this point i think he's an upgrade  over either PP or KG. i hope he continues to start, even after KG returns. that said, both PP and KG need to realize that they are (or should be) bench players next year. green and sully over PP and KG  is a no-brainer IMO.

the "what if?": what if we had moved PP and/or KG at the deadline. there were supposedly some tempting offers out there. makes you wonder what could have been.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Re: an apology, a

In response to kaktug's comment:

first the apology: sorry to those of you who have been saying for a couple of years now that rondo is overrated and that we should trade him. you were right. i was wrong. i like rondo, but i was wrong. hopefully he will recover fully from his surgery and we will be able to move him before next year's trade deadline for something we sorely need, like a deadly 3-point shooter or a true center who can rebound. bradley or someone else can handle the point.

the "told ya so": i've been saying all along that green needs  more PT. he showed last night why he should be a starter every night, either at the 3 or at the 4. at this point i think he's an upgrade  over either PP or KG. i hope he continues to start, even after KG returns. that said, both PP and KG need to realize that they are (or should be) bench players next year. green and sully over PP and KG  is a no-brainer IMO.

the "what if?": what if we had moved PP and/or KG at the deadline. there were supposedly some tempting offers out there. makes you wonder what could have been.

Rondo is overrated is not correct.  He is an excellent basketball player.  But the Celtics can trade him to create a better team.

Jeff Green's issue is not playing time.  This is the first time in his career that he is getting pushed to get better.  I say to the Jeff Green fan club, "Where were you when the chorus on this forum was chanting that players don't improve after the first 4 years?"  Jeff is still not there and has more potential.  He should be pushed to get even better and he should be utilized in the manner best fitting the requirements of the situation.

Lastly, I am glad that the Celts did not trade Paul Pierce and KG.  There is a VERY BIG gap between potential and realized potential.  KG and PP are providing the exact example and leadership that these younger guys need to realize their true potential.  A DeAndre Jordan and a Josh Smith would have been disastrous in this role.  Just look a the game last night.  Green starred but Paul Pierce was the glue filling in a lot of gaps.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fields4. Show Fields4's posts

In response to kaktug's comment:

Why are you so sure about Bradley? Isn't it the same thing as expecting 75%FT from Rondo?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

1. "first the apology: sorry to those of you who have been saying for a couple of years now that rondo is overrated"

How do you know he was overrated? We haven't won anything of significance without him since Antoine Walker was jacking up threes. I agree we should trade Rondo next year because it's best route to improving the team but why not save your apology till we prove we can win in the postseason without him? 

2. Green: yes he deserves more playing time but he couldn't have gotten it sooner due to heart surgery recovery. Some of this is on Green for playing so passively and tentatively. If someone was stepping away from the plate out of fear when the fastball came would you really double their at-bats? 

3. Pierce and KG: there weren't any really good deadline moves. With the other teams in the east fading, it makes total sense that Ainge kept these guys for one more run. We should be able to give any team in the east a series except maybe Miami. Of course, not moving KG or Pierce means we will have to trade Rondo next year, but we have the guard assets to do that. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

1. I didnt over rate Rondo, I felt the past few years he was the big problem on this team along with his facilitator Doc. However, I do agree most have over rated Rondo tremendously and mostly because they dont understand whats going on and worship the opinions of the media and nitwit players like Magic...

2.Agree with you on the PT for JG... Doc's yanked him all over the place and the guy had no consistency from his coach. Heck, remember preseason, JG's role was defined...leader and go-to guy for the second unit,,,and Green produced.. Then the regular season started and Doc changed everything.. Dont blame Green cause he has a poor coach.

3. I dont believe moving both KG/PP would have yielded us a better shot at a title. It takes Doc 1/2 a season of trial and error and several injuries to fall into the right rotations due to the law of averages. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

What if?

If Ainge moved KG and Pierce then the rebuilding process would have been shortened. Instead of 10 years or more, it would have been 10 years or less.

IMO, making a run then getting eliminated in the playoffs is a waste of time. Just like in 2002 when the Celts made it to the east finals, then lost, and in 1992 when the Celts got eliminated by Cleveland in Game 7.

The window is shut. It's Lebron's time now.

That's ridiculous, sorry...shall we just hand out the titles to Miami for the next 5 years then? In the playoffs anything is possible.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

We have to be realistic, we all know this was coming. When KG and Ray came to Boston, it was supposed to be a 3-year window. 

Only 3 NBA Greats have won a championship at age 35 or older, MJ, Bill Russell, and Jabbar. KG and Pierce don't have that in them.

The Celts had their chance in Game 7, in 2010, and they blew it!

And no team has won a championship averaging less that 40 rebounds.  ...... that is until this year.  Like I have said many times,  records or something that has never happen before happen just about everygame if you look hard enough for it.  We just played the best team in the league to a standstill without basically 3 starters out of the lineup.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to basketbert's comment:

What if?

If Ainge moved KG and Pierce then the rebuilding process would have been shortened. Instead of 10 years or more, it would have been 10 years or less.

IMO, making a run then getting eliminated in the playoffs is a waste of time. Just like in 2002 when the Celts made it to the east finals, then lost, and in 1992 when the Celts got eliminated by Cleveland in Game 7.

That's ridiculous, sorry...shall we just hand out the titles to Miami for the next 5 years then? In the playoffs anything is possible.

Definitely agree with you.  Miami may indeed win a few more championships but I don't see them winning every year.  Another team may emerge to compete with them and during the playoffs anything can happen.  Although, I also really dislike Miami and don't want to see them win another championship again. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

In response to TommyRules' comment:

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

We have to be realistic, we all know this was coming. When KG and Ray came to Boston, it was supposed to be a 3-year window. 

Only 3 NBA Greats have won a championship at age 35 or older, MJ, Bill Russell, and Jabbar. KG and Pierce don't have that in them.

And no team has won a championship averaging less that 40 rebounds.  ...... that is until this year.  Like I have said many times,  records or something that has never happen before happen just about everygame if you look hard enough for it.  We just played the best team in the league to a standstill without basically 3 starters out of the lineup.

Orlando played Miami to the end too until LeBron scored with less than 4 seconds left. 

What does this close loss prove for Boston?

Nothing. 

Don't you expect Miami to have some close games?

Anyone with a brain could tell the first half was fools gold. 

How often is Green going to score even 23, not the 43 that he lucked into?

When Green scores 81 or wins a championship I will be impressed. 

How's that 73-win season doing for you?  :-)

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

In response to Number6Fan's comment:

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

Orlando played Miami to the end too until LeBron scored with less than 4 seconds left. 

What does this close loss prove for Boston?

Nothing. 

Don't you expect Miami to have some close games?

Anyone with a brain could tell the first half was fools gold. 

How often is Green going to score even 23, not the 43 that he lucked into?

When Green scores 81 or wins a championship I will be impressed. 

How's that 73-win season doing for you?  :-)

Who said the Lakers would win 73?

Not me.

Who said the Celtics would compete for a championship this year? 

Not many of us, but you act like every loss has us jumping off bridges.  We're enjoying our team's games this year.  How about you?

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

1. I didnt over rate Rondo, I felt the past few years he was the big problem on this team along with his facilitator Doc. However, I do agree most have over rated Rondo tremendously and mostly because they dont understand whats going on and worship the opinions of the media and nitwit players like Magic...

2.Agree with you on the PT for JG... Doc's yanked him all over the place and the guy had no consistency from his coach. Heck, remember preseason, JG's role was defined...leader and go-to guy for the second unit,,,and Green produced.. Then the regular season started and Doc changed everything.. Dont blame Green cause he has a poor coach.

3. I dont believe moving both KG/PP would have yielded us a better shot at a title. It takes Doc 1/2 a season of trial and error and several injuries to fall into the right rotations due to the law of averages. 

yeah, i don't think we'd have had a shot at a title either way. i think it would have made the rebuild easier though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

overrated may not be the right word to describe rondo. but we can flip him to find a better fit for our team. that's what i believe now. i defended him for a long time, and he is definitely a unique talent. but we may be better off by flipping him for something else we sorely need.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevekubersky. Show stevekubersky's posts

In response to TommyRules's comment:

Who said the Lakers would win 73?

Not me.

Yet you gleefully posted in this forum about Meta World War's comment on how they may win 73 games. Must be something you believed in. 33 LOSSES (and counting) later, you're still here. Aren't you tired of eating crow?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to basketbert's comment:

What if?

Who said anything about Miami winning a championship?

The Spurs will beat them in the Finals.

I would be very happy if this happens.  It should be interesting to see if the Spurs can break Miami's winning streak during the regular season.