Are we going to draft Dennis Schroeder?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Are we going to draft Dennis Schroeder?

Rumors persist that Schroeder has a promise, and our sources have indicated that Boston is the team that has promised him. Obviously the team already has Rondo, but no one is expecting most of the players from this draft to instantly become starters. Schroeder used a tremendous week in Portland at the Hoop Summit in practices and the game to skyrocket up team's draft boards. He combines elite level quickness with solid decision making While his season in Germany was just average, he seems to have made real strides recently. His shot was a little inconsistent throughout the week of practices in Portland, but looked very solid in the game. His ability to handle the ball in traffic is impressive. He's got an extra gear that allows him to get by defenders any time he wants to. He also possesses good size at the PG position at 6-2 with a 6-7 wingspan.

Read more at http://hoopshype.com/draft.htm#LgVUwwQy2wU10pUb.99

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Re: Are we going to draft Dennis Schroeder?

I say without a doubt... maybe.

There are 5 elite PGs that should go in the first round, depending on what a team is looking for.

Burke, McCollum and Carter Williams are very likely to be off the board by #16, so that leaves Schroeder and Larkin.  Schroeder has size and other skills that you mention, but he does not have a good outside shot, unlike Larkin, but who is only 5'11".  

The problem is, given team needs, that they are both projected as late first round picks, so with the 16th pick there will be better talent on the board at positions other than PG.   Also there is not much separation between them and Canaan and Brown who will be second round picks.  If the Celtics are set on Schroeder, then they could probably trade down and maybe pick up a second round pick because i don't see anybody needing a PG until the Knicks pick at 24 and then either 28/29 for a Parker and Wetbrook backup.  So the Celtics could concievably get either Larkin or Schroeder at 27 and get a mid second round pick too.  

Or they could trade down and still get a decent SG and pick up a PG like 6'5" Brown in the second round. 

That said, I personally believe the Celtics will take the best SG or PF and there will be several on the board at 16.  I'm putting my money on SG Caldwell-Pope. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to Eldunker's comment:

[QUOTE]

I say without a doubt... maybe.

There are 5 elite PGs that should go in the first round, depending on what a team is looking for.

Burke, McCollum and Carter Williams are very likely to be off the board by #16, so that leaves Schroeder and Larkin.  Schroeder has size and other skills that you mention, but he does not have a good outside shot, unlike Larkin, but who is only 5'11".  

The problem is, given team needs, that they are both projected as late first round picks, so with the 16th pick there will be better talent on the board at positions other than PG.   Also there is not much separation between them and Canaan and Brown who will be second round picks.  If the Celtics are set on Schroeder, then they could probably trade down and maybe pick up a second round pick because i don't see anybody needing a PG until the Knicks pick at 24 and then either 28/29 for a Parker and Wetbrook backup.  So the Celtics could concievably get either Larkin or Schroeder at 27 and get a mid second round pick too.  

Or they could trade down and still get a decent SG and pick up a PG like 6'5" Brown in the second round. 

That said, I personally believe the Celtics will take the best SG or PF and there will be several on the board at 16.  I'm putting my money on SG Caldwell-Pope. 

Without a doubt then maybe?

WTF!

[/QUOTE]

I say. I say.  Its a joke, Son.    

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In response to chris33's comment:

Rumors persist that Schroeder has a promise, and our sources have indicated that Boston is the team that has promised him. Obviously the team already has Rondo, but no one is expecting most of the players from this draft to instantly become starters. Schroeder used a tremendous week in Portland at the Hoop Summit in practices and the game to skyrocket up team's draft boards. He combines elite level quickness with solid decision making While his season in Germany was just average, he seems to have made real strides recently. His shot was a little inconsistent throughout the week of practices in Portland, but looked very solid in the game. His ability to handle the ball in traffic is impressive. He's got an extra gear that allows him to get by defenders any time he wants to. He also possesses good size at the PG position at 6-2 with a 6-7 wingspan.

I d,ont think he will on the board when the celtics are calling at 16.Would be nice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to debrit's comment:

[QUOTE]

I d,ont think he will on the board when the celtics are calling at 16.Would be nice.

[/QUOTE]

Then we could trade Rondo for a big?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

I seem to remember years back that Danny Ainge stated he never makes draft promises to players. I also remember him giving reasons why. Though, I don't remember those reasons...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:

I seem to remember years back that Danny Ainge stated he never makes draft promises to players. I also remember him giving reasons why. Though, I don't remember those reasons...

Maybe a smoke screen by Ainge, because he wants to draft someone else.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

I wouldn't mind either Schroeder or Larkin at 16 - Larkin is a lights out shooter and a good playmaker.  He's just small, though, but, hey, so was Mark Price and he should be in the Hall of Fame.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

We need multiple picks!!!

I want Noel, Schroeder, Crabbe, Dieng, Rice Jr, Hardaway Jr, Erick Green, Seth Curry, Phil Pressey. In order of importance!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:

I want Noel, Schroeder, Crabbe, Dieng, Rice Jr, Hardaway Jr, Erick Green, Seth Curry, Phil Pressey. In order of importance!

We should just reanimate Wilt.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

not sold on larkin b/c of his small size. would make rondo superfluous though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to DaCeltics's comment:

That's a lot of tiny SG's.  Would work out fine if this was the WNBA.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Honest question: Do you guys think there are teams throughout the NBA who look to the Celtics to see who they're meeting with and are interested in and that affects their own decisions?

I'd say yes, hopefully the plan is to build hype around these PG & SG prospects so that some of the quality big men slip to us at 16, guys like Adams, Dieng, Plumlee, Gobert, Zeller, Mitchell, Olynick ...

I expect at least one of those 7 to be available at pick 16, but I'm sure Danny has his preferences. Again, the best thing for the Celtics is for everyone else to go all guard-crazy in this draft. WE NEED A BIG MAN!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Honest question:Do you guys think there are teams throughout the NBA who look to the Celtics to see who they're meeting with and are interested in and that affects their own decisions?

I'd say yes, hopefully the plan is to build hype around these PG & SG prospects so that some of the quality big men slip to us at 16, guys like Adams, Dieng, Plumlee, Gobert, Zeller, Mitchell, Olynick ...

I expect at least one of those 7 to be available at pick 16, but I'm sure Danny has his preferences. Again, the best thing for the Celtics is for everyone else to go all guard-crazy in this draft. WE NEED A BIG MAN!

[/QUOTE]

I agree that we def need to draft big. But I dont get the smoke screen theory when the other teams are drafting AHEAD of us. Makes no sense.  For example utah and milwaukee are both drafting ahead of us and both have pg needs, if they know da is gonna pick shroeder how does that effect their decision? Are they worried that if they dont select shroeder that da will and that means shroeder wont fall to their 2nd round pick? They only have one first round pick.

Now if da is was picking ahead of them then I could see that, then utah or milwaukee would have to either make a trade with the cs or someone ahead of them to get their guy.

If other teams are looking at what the cs are doing, they need new scouting dept. Every team has done their own extensive research.  They are gonna draft who they feel is their best fit reguardless of what other teams are gonna do.

I personally dont care how good schroeder is we dont need anothe pg, thats the only positiion we have an all star at. (not including pp and kg, both are gone either this year or next) unless da is planning on trading rondo, i see no point on wasting the highest pick weve had in the last 5 years to draft a guy who is gonna play 10-12 minutes a game. When we have a gaping hole at center.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Best player available.  Danny's m.o. - draft regardless of position, stockpile talent. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

[QUOTE]

Best player available.  Danny's m.o. - draft regardless of position, stockpile talent. 

Agree.

Getting a quality big man in free-agency is the better option.

I've seen a lot of Felton Spencers come out of the lottery since I can remember. It's better if the Celts take the best available player.

[/QUOTE]

WOW. I almost agree with Fierce on this one.  Almost.

We won't get a good enough big man in FA.  Nor will we get a our big man in the draft. Its too much of a crap shoot and the available centers at 16 are all high risk to amount to nothing. we can't afford that in the rebuilding process with a mid round first.   Our big man will come via trade.

I also highly doubt we will draft any PG, unless Danny plans on trading Rondo.  PG IS OUR LOWEST POSTION OF NEED and Schroeder, in a crappy draft is not an exceptional talent.

We will draft a SG.  Big Celtic area of need.  Addresses scoring void.  Most NBA ready talent at this position.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Draft Schroeder and trade Rondo for a first round pick in next years draft.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

Agree.

Getting a quality big man in free-agency is the better option.

I've seen a lot of Felton Spencers come out of the lottery since I can remember. It's better if the Celts take the best available player.

You're not a wildcat fan, are you?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

[QUOTE]

WOW. I almost agree with Fierce on this one.  Almost.

We won't get a good enough big man in FA.  Nor will we get a our big man in the draft. Its too much of a crap shoot and the available centers at 16 are all high risk to amount to nothing. we can't afford that in the rebuilding process with a mid round first.   Our big man will come via trade.

I also highly doubt we will draft any PG, unless Danny plans on trading Rondo.  PG IS OUR LOWEST POSTION OF NEED and Schroeder, in a crappy draft is not an exceptional talent.

We will draft a SG.  Big Celtic area of need.  Addresses scoring void.  Most NBA ready talent at this position.

Actually the Celts can get a quality big man in free-agency if Pierce and KG are gone.

Big Al and Pekovic are just some of the names available this summer.

[/QUOTE]

Even if they are gone, which is a big IF... I don't consider either Big All or Pek good enough big men to build our future around.  Rondo is the trade piece.