Are we sure Doc is coming back?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Are we sure Doc is coming back?

Just listening to Felger and Mazz and Beetle their news reader brought up the fact that Doc has not confirmed Ainge's statement that he is coming back.  Doc was also a no show at one of the combine's due to hurting his hamstring playing tennis, odd excuse.  It is probably going to be ok but with no final decision on KG and Pierce, Doc really has probably not decided what he is going to do. Doc has had every opportunity to confirm this Ainge report and has not said a word.  It seems to say Doc is not sure what he is going to do or he would have made his own statement to the press.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Re: Are we sure Doc is coming back?

I don't think DA would have said anything if Doc hadn't told him he'd be back.  You're reading too much into things.  (Not that Felger has a brain in his head,)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Nobody is sacred and we know that statements responding to the press from Danny about any of the players (or Doc) may may, or may not, be true.  He may be improving his position for potential trades.  

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Don't get my hopes up!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

I think his time in Boston is just about up. Time for new energy and a new path.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I won't him back.  The Celtics stunk this year not because of Doc but because of injuries and a lack of talent.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Doc has a contract with the Celtics but if neither Pierce or KG are playing for the Celtics next season  I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves for another opportunity. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

I touched on this BS a few days ago in another thread. At this point, I get the feeling that DA is lost regarding the direction of this team and maybe his coach senses it too...

I think it's just dumb that this crap still comes up every year. At the time Doc signed a 5 year deal, everybody thought that the he really liked working with DA, loved the city and the organization, and was committed to the rebuild. That said, did anyone think that we would have to go through this dance with Doc every year of his contract?

Granted Rondo going down was a headache he didn't envision but he got the players he wanted to replace Ray in Jet and Lee. He chose not to ask DA for a pure back-up PG and not to play Darko and he chose to manage KG's mins and play him mostly at the 5, so why is he so mentally exhausted and contemplates quitting every year?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I would not be heartbroken if Doc didn't return next season...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I want Doc back, but today with Del Negro being fired only stokes the fires that KG , Pierce and Doc could end up with the Clippers.  Not saying it will happen but it is in play.  Doc has not commented on returning and let Ainge speak for him and that is very unusual.  Doc speaks for himself.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

I want Doc back, but today with Del Negro being fired only stokes the fires that KG , Pierce and Doc could end up with the Clippers.  Not saying it will happen but it is in play.  Doc has not commented on returning and let Ainge speak for him and that is very unusual.  Doc speaks for himself.  

If you're right and all this radio silence is because there is some back door maneuvering going on, then I would be very disappointed because it just means that KG was more loyal to the C's than Doc was in the end.  I mean if the last coach to bring a banner to the parquet isn't going to be commited to the rebuild, then why should the fans?

But who are we kidding? If DA couldn't okay a deal for PP or KG separately, then he'll never be satisfied with any package of players and picks for PP, KG, and Doc!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

As I watch this thread slide into oblivion consider the Celtics may lose Doc and Garnett and Pierce who all could be headed to the Clippers.  I believe there is really something to this.  Doc has not confirmed Ainge's comments and is obviously waiting for KG and Pierce to make a decision.  So if this were to happen it is not a good thing.

Doc makes this franchise attractive. Without him this team will struggle for at least a few years.  Those that think Doc did not coach well are nuts. He dealt with injuries that made it impossible to do any better than he did.  Those who can't see that are just blind. Rondo does not get injured we might still be playing. Doc is a very good coach, a coach we should do everything we can to keep.  Lack of the proper personel was Danny's responsibility.  If Doc is leaving it might very well be that he wants a GM who can supply him with the players he needs to win.  Another big man would have been nice, a backup point guard, some three point sharpshooters. It is all on Ainge not Doc.

The wasteland that is coming will be a huge letdown for all those that complained about Doc, get ready because it is a fact.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

As I watch this thread slide into oblivion consider the Celtics may lose Doc and Garnett and Pierce who all could be headed to the Clippers.  I believe there is really something to this.  Doc has not confirmed Ainge's comments and is obviously waiting for KG and Pierce to make a decision.  So if this were to happen it is not a good thing.

Doc makes this franchise attractive. Without him this team will struggle for at least a few years.  Those that think Doc did not coach well are nuts. He dealt with injuries that made it impossible to do any better than he did.  Those who can't see that are just blind. Rondo does not get injured we might still be playing. Doc is a very good coach, a coach we should do everything we can to keep.  Lack of the proper personel was Danny's responsibility.  If Doc is leaving it might very well be that he wants a GM who can supply him with the players he needs to win.  Another big man would have been nice, a backup point guard, some three point sharpshooters. It is all on Ainge not Doc.

The wasteland that is coming will be a huge letdown for all those that complained about Doc, get ready because it is a fact.

I agree about the wasteland and do appreciate Doc but coaching decisions aside, let's not forget that he is also somewhat responsible for the current status of the C's.

He may not have wanted to trade Perk but he did agree to the deal. Then, after that deal didn't work out as well as they thought and DA got gun-shy, Doc seeems to have had even more say in 'buying the groceries' with the deals for Jet, Lee, et al. Plus, Doc went out of his way to say how much he values his relationship with a good GM like DA, so you know he has Danny's ear regarding personel decisions. Who knows...maybe Doc even had something to do with DA pulling the plug on deals with PP & KG at the deadline?

Doc has seemed to tie his horse more to what KG is doing than anything else lately, so maybe after his experience with the Big 3 he just sees himself more like Phil Jackson and now would rather only coach and relate to eastablished star players.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Doc is pretty clear about his preference to work with vets and he isn't particularly good with young devloping players.  The rebuilding effort will necessitate working the remainder of his contract working with young guys with no chance of a championship.  

He has no motivation to stay.  Who could blame him for leaving the Celtics to a contender, and stay united with his two core vets.

I think its best for both Doc and the Celtics.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I agree about the wasteland and do appreciate Doc but coaching decisions aside, let's not forget that he is also somewhat responsible for the current status of the C's.

He may not have wanted to trade Perk but he did agree to the deal. Then, after that deal didn't work out as well as they thought and DA got gun-shy, Doc seeems to have had even more say in 'buying the groceries' with the deals for Jet, Lee, et al. Plus, Doc went out of his way to say how much he values his relationship with a good GM like DA, so you know he has Danny's ear regarding personel decisions. Who knows...maybe Doc even had something to do with DA pulling the plug on deals with PP & KG at the deadline?

Doc has seemed to tie his horse more to what KG is doing than anything else lately, so maybe after his experience with the Big 3 he just sees himself more like Phil Jackson and now would rather only coach and relate to eastablished star players.

[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about?!?

Doc and Danny took a losing team, compiled assets, built a conteder, won a championship, and then extended a 3 year window for three-going-on-four extra seasons. During that time we made another Finals appearance almost winning a 2nd title, two 2nd round exits, and an ECF exit that could have gone our way leading to yet another title.

Did you expect the big 3 era to last for perpetuity??

Doc is tied to KG because He's FREAKING KEVIN GARNETT. Do you think that not every single decision in San Antonio begins and ends with Tim Duncan?

My point is this: "The current status of the C's" is expected. Its not because of Doc or Danny's mismanagement of this team or players. It is because it is nearly impossible to build a team that contends every year for ever.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

To add to above ...

You will see when in two years, Lebron leaves the Heat and they fall back into obscurity. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

My point is that Doc is somewhat responsible for the current status of an organization that some are thinking he may be running from because...

• He prefers to play and build around vets who may be passed their peak and instead should be more complimentary than feature pieces
    • He doesn't like to play younger players unless an injury forces his hand and then proves him wrong
    • He chose not to play Darko and instead force KG to play more of the post/5 position
    • He asked DA for the complimentary players who were on the roster last year
    • He insisted that the C's didn't need a back-up PG and that the current group of guards could handle it

Again, I'm not saying that Doc isn't a good coach or that he's not appreciated. I just don't subscribe to the theory that he is powerless in personel decisions and that he deserves either better players or to be let out of his contract and coach someplace else.

Not to go too far down the path with the Parcell's analogy but Doc helped pick these ingredients, so he needs to stick around and come up with a new recipe or help DA get better groceries.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to wfdog's comment:

My point is that Doc is somewhat responsible for the current status of an organization that some are thinking he may be running from because...

• He prefers to play and build around vets who may be passed their peak and instead should be more complimentary than feature pieces
    • He doesn't like to play younger players unless an injury forces his hand and then proves him wrong
    • He chose not to play Darko and instead force KG to play more of the post/5 position
    • He asked DA for the complimentary players who were on the roster last year
    • He insisted that the C's didn't need a back-up PG and that the current group of guards could handle it

Again, I'm not saying that Doc isn't a good coach or that he's not appreciated. I just don't subscribe to the theory that he is powerless in personel decisions and that he deserves either better players or to be let out of his contract and coach someplace else.

Not to go too far down the path with the Parcell's analogy but Doc helped pick these ingredients, so he needs to stick around and come up with a new recipe or help DA get better groceries.

Doc can be criticized for a lot of his decisions in hind sight.  But to play Darko meant not playing Sullinger.  What decision would you make?  Besides, have you tracked Darko's personality issues on his previous teams?

I don't understand how he insisted that they don't need a back-up point guard.  Was that before Rondo's injury or after?  What would the Celts have to give up to get a backup point guard?  Besides, was he not developing a backup point in Barbosa?  How could he have predicted and injury to both, Rondo and Barbosa?

While chastizing Doc, lets not forget his one big accomplishment last year: the development of Jeff Green.  Before last year, Jeff was a tentative player who preferred to defer to others.  Last year Jeff discovered that he can be top level player.  And Doc nurtured him through the trials and tribulations of that discovery process.  That was a very significant accomplishment.

I hope that Doc sticks around.  I expect him to stick around.  Actually, now I am expecting the whole group to stick around.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from witzma. Show witzma's posts

In response to Number6Fan's comment:

I don't think DA would have said anything if Doc hadn't told him he'd be back.  You're reading too much into things.  (Not that Felger has a brain in his head,)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from witzma. Show witzma's posts

In response to Number6Fan's comment:

You got that right!