Bass vs. Baby

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: Bass vs. Baby

And bass can guard the bynum's and duncan's and howard's really well.  and he is a whiz at the help defense system too.  super floor vision and the kid is a good passer too.

he's better than davis at a couple of things but davis was far more versatile and his skill set / versatility has NOT been replaced by bass.  as the season wears on, the defensive shortcomings of bass will be on display on a regular basis.

and asking KG to play the 5, which is what you're doing when you trade for a bass who is not strong enough to play the 5- that is just a dum idea.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

In Response to Re: Bass vs. Baby:
    [QUOTE]And bass can guard the bynum's and duncan's and howard's really well.  and he is a whiz at the help defense system too.  super floor vision and the kid is a good passer too. he's better than davis at a couple of things but davis was far more versatile and his skill set / versatility has NOT been replaced by bass.  as the season wears on, the defensive shortcomings of bass will be on display on a regular basis. and asking KG to play the 5, which is what you're doing when you trade for a bass who is not strong enough to play the 5- that is just a dum idea.
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

Celtics only play the Spurs and Lakers twice and the Magic 3 times every season. Just sayin'!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

[QUOTE]And bass can guard the bynum's and duncan's and howard's really well.  and he is a whiz at the help defense system too.  super floor vision and the kid is a good passer too. he's better than davis at a couple of things but davis was far more versatile and his skill set / versatility has NOT been replaced by bass.  as the season wears on, the defensive shortcomings of bass will be on display on a regular basis. and asking KG to play the 5, which is what you're doing when you trade for a bass who is not strong enough to play the 5- that is just a dum idea.

Amen!

We need a hostile big fella who prides himself on the hard foul. Keep Stiemsma in a cage and throw rocks at him. Maybe it could be him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Bass vs. Baby:
    [QUOTE]Looks like Bass is better than Big Baby after 4 games of play. Bass is more athletic and can really finish strong when he's under the basket.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

I could have told you that before the season started.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Baby was abused more than he was great against anyone over 6'10" other than Howard, who he was strangelty excellent against.

KG is expected to guard Bosh, Noah, Gasol, Ibaka, Dirk, Chandler... if he can't put up very good stats (16-8 at this stage of his career) against those guys and hold them below what they are used to... then we don't win anyhow.

It was Perk who used to be in charge of those physical bigs and now that responsibility has to fall on JO and hopefully Danny can make a trade for another Center b/c JO should only play half the game and be more effective in those reduced mins.

Bass is a 30 minute regular season guy to get 15-7 night in and night out and rest KG... something Baby was never able to consistently do. When the playoffs come around Bass will be a 20 minute guy asked to outplay Haslem, Taj Gibson, Balkman/Jeffries...

in a possible 1st rd playoff mathcups he needs to be better than guys like Speights, Hansborough, Larry Sanders and Brockman of the bucks... There is no chance the Celtics lose to anyone other than the Bulls or Heat in the East playoffs this year (unless the '07 Baron Davis shows up and Melo/Amare suddently learn how to play together).

and Baby didn't help at all vs. those 3 teams personel in the past.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenaboveGold. Show GreenaboveGold's posts

And Baby can guard them? you're funny

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajorMajor. Show MajorMajor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bass vs. Baby : And Baby can guard them? you're funny
    Posted by GreenaboveGold[/QUOTE]

If it were true, that Baby can guard Bynum, we would have won a title in 2010.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

In Response to Bass vs. Baby:
    [QUOTE]Looks like Bass is better than Big Baby after 4 games of play. Bass is more athletic and can really finish strong when he's under the basket.

Yepper...we traded a "big-baby"..for a MAN'S-MAN...

BEAT L A ...BEAT L A...BEAT L A.......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

if Ron Artest hadn't smashed his knee into Ray's quad we would have won the title in 5 games...and if the refs hadn't precided over the most one-sided hose job of a 4th quarter in the history of the game we would still have won it in game 7

But yeah Baby was abused that series except for the game 4 heroics

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

i like big baby. but i'll take bass.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bass vs. Baby : Baby is not doing too well this season, 7.8 ppg and 3.8 rpg in 21.5 mpg with Orlando.

But he can guard Howard.Laughing

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bass vs. Baby : Nah, the only reason why I was rooting for Baby last season was because I had a bet with the atheist mployee. Baby had some good qualities but we all know he can't play above the rim.

I don't dislike Baby either.  I enjoyed him while he was here, except for him working on a contract at the end of last season instead of playing winning ball.  I think we will find out the C's made Baby and not the other way around.  I think the C's will even bring out the better in Bass.  And I already thought Bass was good even from his days in Dallas.  Bass I hope will get better on defense.  He made a couple of good plays last night. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I agree with most of the others that Bass is better than Baby.  Davis may be better in some areas but Bass's overall skills are better than Davis.  The season just started, but most of us believe that Bass will be better than Davis for a full season. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShepherdCall. Show ShepherdCall's posts

Bass is more athletic and can do more things offensively, but Baby was the superior defender;  additionally, he is a better passer and has the superior basketball acumen.  

One of the reason why Boston's team defense is sagging is because Baby and Pierce are not there.   When KG goes out the game the defense is not the same;  that did not happen when Baby was there.  

Bass can guard the five in stretches, but Baby could legitimately guard the postion for a stretches. 

Doc did not help the Baby mental any with all the, "he is going to have to earn minutes, whether that be with Powe, Shelden Williams, and Rasheed Wallace;  Bass has not cometition and Doc is running the offense through Bass.

Last year this year time Baby was a leading candidate for sixth man;  picking up close to sixty charges speaks volumes of what was going on on the defensive end.  And while Baby does not have the lift of Bass, he completed a TON of "and-ones".  

Boston went out got Shaq, JO, had Perkins, had to deal with Kristic, and then eveyone was clamoring for Troy Murphy;  then we got Jeff Green, we had Doc talking about him ending games with KG....  all of this would have pissed me off to if I was Baby who, until the end of the year was the most durable and consistent front court players next to KG.  Before the last few weeks, the Celtics had the best record in the league.  

Think about what the guys in Orlando and Dallas are saying about Bass;  point is, when you are not looking over your shoulder and don't have comments every five minutes, you can take risk develop and grow.  

I loved Bass' game for a while, but Baby was a "major" part of the Celtics run the last three years.  

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Baby had his moments....in this league you gotta have more than moments.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

It's really apples and oranges. They're different.

Bass is a scorer and will shoot everytime. The way he puts it on the floor, he better. I'd rather have a clanger than a turnover. Jumping and long arms make him effective, and he can run.

Baby couldn't jump. But he worked very hard and contributed in all phases of the game. Defensively, he was better than Bass. You could go over Baby (again, no hops) but you couldn't go around him without going wide and exposing the ball to the help.

These guys aren't stars and never will be. They are what they are and it'll be up to the coaches to use them as they see fit. One is not necessarily better than the other. I like them both, realizing, of course, their limitations.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Bass is better. A black hole like Baby but they sort of need that with the 2nd unit since they have limited scorers. He has a really good mid range J. Just don't put him in the post and have him facing the basket and he's fine.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

I like Bass, but Glen did some things for us like the charges and big plays, I watched both of them play at LSU and they are different players but both can be effective.  Glen did a lot more for than given credit for.