Best Draft Options for the Celtics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Best Draft Options for the Celtics

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1641517-comparing-mock-drafts-for-boston-celtics-from-around-the-web

Using the bleacher list shown above (not comprehensive, I know), who would you choose with the 16th pick?

1. Darko Saric SF Croatia 6'10 223

2. Dennis Schroeder PG Germany 6'2 170

3. Michael Carter-Williams PG Syracuse 6'5 175

4. Gorgui Dieng C Louisville 

5. Kelly Olynyk C Gonzaga 7'0 238

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: Best Draft Options for the Celtics

I know the key is to pick the best available player, but if we had a choice at any of the 5, which position is most pressing?

PG - to backup Rondo

SF - to replace Paul, back-up Jeff, play with Jeff

C - to back-up KG, compete with Melo

Personally, I like either Dieng or Saric. Something about Croatian players, they play with a chip, play with heart, go all out. Saric would allow us to go 'medium' playing him at the SF and green at the PF. I also think that SF's are at a premium in this league and therefore valuable.

Obviously really good centers are valuable, but I feel like their potential is often over valued. Dieng could be an Ibaka, or he could just be another tree in the forest. A starting Center is definitely a need for us, so its tough. Dieng and Melo give us two high potential big men who could compete and learn from KG (who I am 85% sure will return).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Also - I find it hilarious that the Bleacher writer thinks Minny will take Olynyk ... Minny prefers their players to be white.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I like either of the two centers.  Not a believer in Fab

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

I know the key is to pick the best available player, but if we had a choice at any of the 5, which position is most pressing?

PG - to backup Rondo

SF - to replace Paul, back-up Jeff, play with Jeff

C - to back-up KG, compete with Melo

Personally, I like either Dieng or Saric. Something about Croatian players, they play with a chip, play with heart, go all out. Saric would allow us to go 'medium' playing him at the SF and green at the PF. I also think that SF's are at a premium in this league and therefore valuable.

Obviously really good centers are valuable, but I feel like their potential is often over valued. Dieng could be an Ibaka, or he could just be another tree in the forest. A starting Center is definitely a need for us, so its tough. Dieng and Melo give us two high potential big men who could compete and learn from KG (who I am 85% sure will return).

Looks like Saric will be gone between 10-14.He would be great.Schroeder would be a good pick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Saric and Williams will be gone by the time we pick..............

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

You guys should check out James Ennis from Long Beach State. Kid can play, despite being from a mid-major school.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/james-ennis

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Someone needs to start a rumor about Saric's bad knees ... or lets hope he sprains an ankle during the combine or something.

Everyone is saying that this is a weak draft ... seems to me what that means is its a bad year to have paid top $$ for a lottery pick. I think there will be a lot of guys who could bounce up and down between 5-20

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1641517-comparing-mock-drafts-for-boston-celtics-from-around-the-web

Using the bleacher list shown above (not comprehensive, I know), who would you choose with the 16th pick?

#1  Dieng

#2  Carter-Williams

#3  Olynyk

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Read yesterday that if Saric is not a lottery pick, he will take himself out of the draft...........therefore, someone IN the lottery has promised him they would take him..........

Carter-Williams will be gone by the time we pick.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to Red-16Russ-11's comment:

Read yesterday that if Saric is not a lottery pick, he will take himself out of the draft...........therefore, someone IN the lottery has promised him they would take him..........

Are they allowed to make binding agreements??? Could a lottery team 'promise' to take him and then reneg?

I thought next years draft is suppose to be A LOT deeper ... do analysts think that he would be guarenteed to be a lottery pick next year?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In response to Red-16Russ-11's comment:

Are they allowed to make binding agreements??? Could a lottery team 'promise' to take him and then reneg?

I thought next years draft is suppose to be A LOT deeper ... do analysts think that he would be guarenteed to be a lottery pick next year?

They are not allowed to make binding agreements, but they can make verbal ones.  The C's last year told Michael Kidd-Gilchrist they would take him if he was still on the board.......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Not Olynyk b/c he has bust written all over him and is a face the basket big like KG. Inless Danny really seems him as a 18p-8r offensive spread the floor complement to a 14p-10r Sully in future years.

Dieng can contribute right away and upgrade the Wilcox/Randolph/White pu pu platter, so if we're a contender for 1-2 years with KG/PP finishing their careers in green and Rondo/Green leading the team, then I'd go for him.

The other 3 all have greater upside. The German PG only seems appropriate if Rondo is going to be traded.

Carter-Williams at 6'6" would pair wonderfully with Avery in the backcourt (after a year in the D-league with old teammate Melo) and Saric could look like a steal at pick 16 in 2-3 years, but the team would have to leave him in Europe for 1-2 of those years, then bring him in as a 6th man type behind Green and Sully when Pierce retires.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KillaCam2010. Show KillaCam2010's posts

I really like Reggie Bulluck as a fit with the C's. He is a good defender, has size at the two and could possibly play 3 if he bulks up some, is a good shooter and slasher. Only problem is I don't like him as the 16th overall pick. So at 16 I would go with Dieng, I have seen a few interview and he seems to have his head on straight and is a hard worker.