Big Baby Struggling in Orlando

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Big Baby Struggling in Orlando

I was a fan of Glen Davis because he seemed to be committed to doing the things that the Celtics needed him to do.  He was less concerned with "being the man".  However, last season Big Baby began to "offensively" try to do more than he was capable of doing.  I think he got too "high" on himself.  I remember those games in February/March when Baby was taking more shots on a nightly basis than Ray Allen.  He was auditioning for a lucrative contract.

Apparently, he is trying to be a jump-shooting PF in Orlando.  He and Stan Van Gundy are not seeing eye to eye on his role.  Last year in Boston, 50% of his shots were attempted within 15 feet of the basket.  Now, 65% of his shots are being attempted from outside of 15 feet.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-dwight-howard-dunk-contest-0105-20120104,0,505639.story

With both being 26, to me, Bass appears to be so much more mature than Baby.  He's getting comfortable with his role and he seems to be accepting it.  Baby appears to be trying to re-invent himself and display skills that aren't suited to him or to Orlando.  Bass just appears to be the better player right now.

I am glad that deal was made because right now, I think the Celtics got the better end of it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: Big Baby Struggling in Orlando

And as you know - I'M LOVING IT!!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

I am glad that deal was made because right now, I think the Celtics got the better end of it.

If you didnt know when the trade was announced, you should defenitely know now, bass is playing even better than I expected, and I had high expectations. He fits perfectly with our team.   Cs hands down got the better end of the deal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Well, well, well! As I've always said these guys that chase the money and step out of their role when they leave the C's get a hard learned lesson.

Posey
    TA
    BBD

I won't include Perk because it wasn't his choice to leave.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

In Response to Big Baby Struggling in Orlando:
    [QUOTE]I was a fan of Glen Davis because he seemed to be committed to doing the things that the Celtics needed him to do.  He was less concerned with "being the man".  However, last season Big Baby began to "offensively" try to do more than he was capable of doing.  I think he got too "high" on himself.  I remember those games in February/March when Baby was taking more shots on a nightly basis than Ray Allen.  He was auditioning for a lucrative contract. Apparently, he is trying to be a jump-shooting PF in Orlando.  He and Stan Van Gundy are not seeing eye to eye on his role.  Last year in Boston, 50% of his shots were attempted within 15 feet of the basket.  Now, 65% of his shots are being attempted from outside of 15 feet. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-dwight-howard-dunk-contest-0105-20120104,0,505639.story With both being 26, to me, Bass appears to be so much more mature than Baby.  He's getting comfortable with his role and he seems to be accepting it.  Baby appears to be trying to re-invent himself and display skills that aren't suited to him or to Orlando.  Bass just appears to be the better player right now. I am glad that deal was made because right now, I think the Celtics got the better end of it.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Appears to be a better player? He is a better player hands down. How many times did we see Baby get a rebound on the offensive board or even make a move down low and slam it through? Not many if any.... his lack of size hurt him that way....I just think the Cs now have a high energy high flyer that they havent had in awhile.  He is obviously a better to me in many ways.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gocharles. Show gocharles's posts

At least Bass can jump and dunk. Guaranteed easy layups, unlike BBD. Big Baby's and Perkins' inability to dunk easy layups cost the Cs a lot of opportunity points.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

In Response to Re: Big Baby Struggling in Orlando:
    [QUOTE]At least Bass can jump and dunk. Guaranteed easy layups, unlike BBD. Big Baby's and Perkins' inability to dunk easy layups cost the Cs a lot of opportunity points.
    Posted by gocharles[/QUOTE]

Oh no doubt!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

If he would just stick to his role of setting screens, getting offensive rebounds, taking charges, and getting a couple of shots here and there, he would enhance his value to his new team.
    Lets face it, by scoring, you get more recognition and Mulah.
    I believe he said that he was tired of playing under KG's shadow. That's just because he could'nt jump over it.

Well, now Orlando has two centers that may not know their role  there... smells like  a big trade coming soon.

I love bass's game. Sweet mid range j, rebounding skills, and powers to the hoop. Maybe our Cedrick Maxwell??
     Not a great defensive guy, but in time may learn enought to be effective.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Big Baby caught "I want to be an all-star-itis" about two years ago.  He's been more concerned with that than the path of the team he plays for, for a couple of years now.  Have fun with that Van Gundy.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Well, well, well! As I've always said these guys that chase the money and step out of their role when they leave the C's get a hard learned lesson. Posey TA BBD I won't include Perk because it wasn't his choice to leave.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

TA was slow to coming around but be put in a pretty good strectch of games for the Grizz  last year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]  Big Baby caught "I want to be an all-star-itis" about two years ago.  He's been more concerned with that than the path of the team he plays for, for a couple of years now.  Have fun with that Van Gundy.  
    Posted by passfirst[/QUOTE]

In fairness to baby,  Bass has been asked to shoot and shoot and shoot.  And he has been doing it very well.  Thats what Baby wanted to do and  for a while last year he did well at it.  Bass has better nose for the ball on rebounding in my opinion.  Doesn't take charges like Baby but playing with Howard he didn't develop that.  You get beat by someone and Howard was there to swat it away.  I was pretty clear on Bass when we got him on what I thought of his game.  I liked it in Dallas because I saw him play a lot.  In Orlando I  only saw a few games against us and he played well there too.  I am still happy with the trade as I don't think Bass goes outside his game too much, baby on the other hand tries to do things he can't do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

I will never forget last year against the Nets the play wasn't designed for him and he decided to try and win the game and shot a 3. Selfish stat monger. He was blatantly trying to get numbers last year to get some money. He got some too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I bet Orlando is looking at the trade now wishing they had Bass back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

OneOnOne, you just might be right about Orlando's "buyer's remorse".  They are probably asking themselves "where is that guy that was so effective against us with his interior offense and defense".

He thought he'd roll into Orlando and start at the PF.  He was very public about his "so-called" talk with Howard.  He's now leaving the locker room without speaking to reporters.  That was never Baby.  If there was a soundbite to be had, you could get it from Baby.  Quiet as a mouse now.

It's going to be interesting when we meet up with Orlando.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Well, well, well! As I've always said these guys that chase the money and step out of their role when they leave the C's get a hard learned lesson. Posey TA BBD I won't include Perk because it wasn't his choice to leave.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

Celts absolutely got the best of the deal.  Bass is impressing me in so many ways offensively and we need offense!

Bias - you're right about Posey and BBD, but Tony Allen made a good move for himself.  His minutes and role would have been limited here, but he's doing more for Memphis and is more important to them than he was to us.  I think he made a good move, unlike Posey and BBD.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Acie, where are you? - I know you think Doc is a jerk for riding BBD and as far as you are concerned, BBD couldn't possibly play well with Doc riding his rear.

Please read this and tell me what you think about Van Gundy saying the SAME thing Doc said last year.  If the reporter hadn't told us it was Van Gundy, I would have thought it was an old Doc Rivers quote:

Glen Davis is shooting too much in Orlando.

That's the sentiment of Magic coach Stan Van Gundy, who called out Davis after Orlando's 103-85 win over the Washington Wizards Wednesday night. Davis made 2 of 10 shots from the field and drew criticism from his coach afterward.

"He's not playing well, and I'm not sure his mind's on the right things right now," Van Gundy said. "What we need him to do is defend, which he has done pretty well, rebound better than he's rebounding and move the ball and set screens."

Van Gundy's criticisms hardly qualify as news to most Celtics fans. Doc Rivers had some much-publicized trouble keeping Davis in line during his time with the Celtics. In 2010, Davis complained to the media about not knowing what his role was.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]I was a fan of Glen Davis because he seemed to be committed to doing the things that the Celtics needed him to do.  He was less concerned with "being the man".  However, last season Big Baby began to "offensively" try to do more than he was capable of doing.  I think he got too "high" on himself.  I remember those games in February/March when Baby was taking more shots on a nightly basis than Ray Allen.  He was auditioning for a lucrative contract. Apparently, he is trying to be a jump-shooting PF in Orlando.  He and Stan Van Gundy are not seeing eye to eye on his role.  Last year in Boston, 50% of his shots were attempted within 15 feet of the basket.  Now, 65% of his shots are being attempted from outside of 15 feet. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-dwight-howard-dunk-contest-0105-20120104,0,505639.story With both being 26, to me, Bass appears to be so much more mature than Baby.  He's getting comfortable with his role and he seems to be accepting it.  Baby appears to be trying to re-invent himself and display skills that aren't suited to him or to Orlando.  Bass just appears to be the better player right now. I am glad that deal was made because right now, I think the Celtics got the better end of it.

I could not agree more. Bass is a better fit for the Cs than Baby is for the Magic.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

[QUOTE]  Big Baby caught "I want to be an all-star-itis" about two years ago.  He's been more concerned with that than the path of the team he plays for, for a couple of years now.  Have fun with that Van Gundy.  
    Posted by passfirst[/QUOTE]

Yep! Spot on!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Acie where are you?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

now orlando knows why...he is called "big baby" doll...

baby-doll claims he is still trying to find himself...

as if he was on a ..religeous retreat....

he's  a... 300 lb. lard-aaazzz...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

The Celtics made Big Baby a point that seems to get lost by BB observers. Bass came here with credentials....Van Gundy just didn't use him to his strengths.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

I was a fan of Glen Davis during his first contract as a Celtic ... but as most here know, I abandoned my love for his game when it became clear he had hit his ceiling and there wasn't anymore upside to his game. I advocated trading him while he had value & league wide interest and I took a lot of negativity for that stance which ultimately culminated in my bet with Fierce that any third tier player such as Athony Tolliver could replicate Davis's numbers and thus replace Davis once traded for a then needed SF to backup Pierce.

I lost the bet by the smallest of margins but apparently won the war as the C's must have come to the same conclusion and excercised a S&T for Bass. The bottom line ... You are what you are and now we watch as Davis tries to reinvent himself to prove his value based on his new contract.

BTW ... There still isn't much difference between the two player's stats so far this year ... Hoping Davis comes around for his own sake and resorts to what made him valuable ... Dirty Work!

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/glen_davis/

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/anthony_tolliver/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"not counting Kendrick Perkins because he didn't choose to leave" - 

go ahead and count him, he rebuffed the Celts offers just like the other guys. On the other hand, his situation may work out real well for him. 

Bass for Baby was one of the best moves Ainge has made in a long time and if we have a good season this will always be cited as one of the main reasons. I like thinking about Baby and Van G tryin to get along in practice, etc. Sounds like a blast.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Daivs was and is a role player.  He can be a very good one at times.  He wasn't worth the money or the headaches.  Bass is making people forget him awfully fast.  Bass is a better rebounder and offensive player and I'd say he's stepped right in and become a useful player. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

It is tough for a talented power forward to play along side an all star center. An all star center and a physical power forward many times like to occupy the same space (the paint).

Brandon Bass now has the freedom to roam the paint! Prediction: he's going to get better and better in his new play ground!!