Bill Russell To LeBron James: “Thank You For Leaving Me Off Your Mount Rushmore”

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Bill Russell To LeBron James: “Thank You For Leaving Me Off Your Mount Rushmore”

Posted by Tom Westerholm on Feb 17, 2014

The 2014 NBA All-Star game was devoid of Celtics for the first time in years, making it mostly an opportunity for Cs fans to watch a collection of massive dunks, highlight reel dribbling and incredible passing from a distance.

But during a break in the action, Bill Russell — who was sitting courtside — was serenaded with an off-key rendition of “Happy Birthday” from Magic Johnson and the New Orleans crowd in honor of his 80th birthday on February 12. Afterwards, nearly every player on both squads filed past to shake his hand.

The attention prompted a report from Craig Sager. Apparently, Russell had some thoughts on the latest trending topic around the NBA: LeBron’s Mount Rushmore. Here’s Russell to LeBron, according to Sager’s sideline report:

“Hey, thank you for leaving me off your Mount Rushmore. I’m glad you did. Basketball is a team game, it’s not for individual honors. I won back-to-back state championships in high school, back-to-back NCAA championships in college, I won an NBA championship my first year in the league, an NBA championship in my last year, and nine in between. That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” 

Russell seemingly chastising LeBron for not appreciating that basketball is a team game seems a little bit odd, given LeBron’s generally unselfish playing style, but that’s really neither here nor there. LeBron may be the greatest player in the NBA right now, and someday his name very well might come up on people’s Mount Rushmore of NBA players, but he has a long ways to go before he can begin to challenge Russell both in terms of championships (he probably will never get there) and impact on the game (he almost certainly will never get there, given Russell’s history with the Civil Rights Movement).

Let’s not belabor this point, however. The reason we are posting this is because it’s an incredible quote. I don’t know where Russell’s championships are etched in stone but if they aren’t already, let’s make it happen, stone-etchers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Bill Russell To LeBron James: “Thank You For Leaving Me Off Your Mount Rushmore”

Bill Russell is the coolest guy on the planet - AT - 80-years of age!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Re: Bill Russell To LeBron James: “Thank You For Leaving Me Off Your Mount Rushmore”

Even the greatest champion of all time isn't enamored with Mr. Balloon-Head. Though, Bill isn't on my "Rushmore" either. Unless it's only for "players". If that's the case, then he is.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Posted by Tom Westerholm on Feb 17, 2014

The 2014 NBA All-Star game was devoid of Celtics for the first time in years, making it mostly an opportunity for Cs fans to watch a collection of massive dunks, highlight reel dribbling and incredible passing from a distance.

But during a break in the action, Bill Russell — who was sitting courtside — was serenaded with an off-key rendition of “Happy Birthday” from Magic Johnson and the New Orleans crowd in honor of his 80th birthday on February 12. Afterwards, nearly every player on both squads filed past to shake his hand.

The attention prompted a report from Craig Sager. Apparently, Russell had some thoughts on the latest trending topic around the NBA: LeBron’s Mount Rushmore. Here’s Russell to LeBron, according to Sager’s sideline report:

“Hey, thank you for leaving me off your Mount Rushmore. I’m glad you did. Basketball is a team game, it’s not for individual honors. I won back-to-back state championships in high school, back-to-back NCAA championships in college, I won an NBA championship my first year in the league, an NBA championship in my last year, and nine in between. That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” 

Russell seemingly chastising LeBron for not appreciating that basketball is a team game seems a little bit odd, given LeBron’s generally unselfish playing style, but that’s really neither here nor there. LeBron may be the greatest player in the NBA right now, and someday his name very well might come up on people’s Mount Rushmore of NBA players, but he has a long ways to go before he can begin to challenge Russell both in terms of championships (he probably will never get there) and impact on the game (he almost certainly will never get there, given Russell’s history with the Civil Rights Movement).

Let’s not belabor this point, however. The reason we are posting this is because it’s an incredible quote. I don’t know where Russell’s championships are etched in stone but if they aren’t already, let’s make it happen, stone-etchers.

[/QUOTE]

Based on this "Thank you" quote alone... sounds like Russ is still packing plenty of heat.

Pud

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Russell didn't ever need the refs assistance to help him win.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

so Russ has back to back high school championships....back to back college championships....a gold medal....and eleven NBA Championships in thirteen years....that includes twelve trips to the finals....he never lost a game seven in his career...

17 years....16 titles....this isn't a coincidence folks....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Don't worry Mr. Russell, some of us know and respect your legacy.

My Mount Rushmore

Jordan, Wilt, Russell and Jabbar

Give me any other 5th scrub and I will beat you 9 out of 10 times.

Jordan has the most competitive spirit.

Wilt was the most dominate player of all time.

Russell was a coach/player and the smartest player of all time.

Jabbar had the most unstoppable shot and more accolades than MJ

All these qualities make it impossible to leave any of them out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommyContrarianOnTwitter. Show CommyContrarianOnTwitter's posts

couldnt agree mo with russ...  way to smack down JeBron on this!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

I lost a little respect for LeBron on this. I thought he was a better student of the game.

Like someone said, the top 4 players of all-time are Russell, Wilt, Jordan and Kareem in that order imo.

Russell for wins.

Wilt for dominating statistically.

Jordan for dominating his era and raising the profile of the game to new heights of popularity and inspiring the next generation of players focused on finely tuned perimeter skills.

Kareem for dominating with and showcasing an unstoppable skillset.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I lost a little respect for LeBron on this. I thought he was a better student of the game.

Like someone said, the top 4 players of all-time are Russell, Wilt, Jordan and Kareem in that order imo.

Russell for wins.

Wilt for dominating statistically.

Jordan for dominating his era and raising the profile of the game to new heights of popularity and inspiring the next generation of players focused on finely tuned perimeter skills.

Kareem for dominating with and showcasing an unstoppable skillset.

[/QUOTE]

+ 1  - I could not have stated it better! 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

Russell, Johnson and Bird. Honourable mention Kareem and Walton (yes Walton).

Thing that separates the first three. They made their teams championship callibre for their careers. Though high school, college and the NBA. Bird with Indiana State is just so improbable when you look back at it.

Johnsons Michigan State team was superior but again, not a powerhouse. Such as Jordans North Carolina team. Johnson and Bird didn't have team mates like Worthy and Perkins.
    Bird with team mates with Worthy and Perkins? Bird would have left college with multiple championships.

Russell is in his own class. But you have Johnson leading his team to a championship in his rookie year, Bird in his second. That's special. Kareem never did that, Wilt didn't, and Jordan didn't make Chicago into a championship threat until age and injury had derailed the Celtics and Pistons. Plus the league wanted Jordan and the Bulls to be successful instead of the Pistons. Who in my mind were a very good team.

Jordan dominated the league, his Bulls teams beat some good teams in the finals. But he didn't have that x-factor that Russell, Johnson and Bird had. To rank in that class in my mind, the Bulls make the finals in 1986 beating the Celtics in the process or 1987. But they didn't. It's not like the Celtics beating the Sixers in 1981 was easy, they were the pick of the East, the dominant team, superior to the Celtics. But because of Bird and his character, they won! The same with LA in 1980. Magic in game 7. WOW.

Other two players Kareem and Walton. Both won multiple titles at UCLA. Walton also won that championship with Portland, making an average to good team, great. That's special. Early in his career. Makes me wonder how great he'd have been if he stayed healthy. 

Kareem, won in Milwaukee. He was statistically an incredible player. BUT, in LA he never won until Johnson arrived. He won a ring whilst injured in 1980. Won 5 MVP awards from memory? He was a key player in LA, don't get me wrong. But there are no championships without Magic Johnson.

You know who I'd put at number 4 on my list? Tim Duncan. Turned San Antonio into a true force. David Robinson, a similar player to Kareem, no early championship, but still an offensive force. But no titles until Duncan arrived. Whose very presence, makes the Spurs a championship callibre team.