Bill Russell

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Bill Russell

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2011/07/statue_of_bill.html

Here is a great tribute to Big Bill!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from champs08. Show champs08's posts

Re: Bill Russell

Those match-ups in the 60's with Russell and Chamberlain were the best.

Russell understood it was all about the TEAM not his own stats.

Happy that the statue will be a reality!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I agree!!  ......just think what he accomplished over his 15 years as a basketball player...College, Olympics, Pro basketball....14 championships as the star player of his teams...incredible!!  ....the man was the ultimate winner!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

In Response to Re: Bill Russell:
    [QUOTE]I agree!!  ......just think what he accomplished over his 15 years as a basketball player...College, Olympics, Pro basketball....14 championships as the star player of his teams...incredible!!  ....the man was the ultimate winner!
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

And yet the majority of NBA experts dont even have him in the top 5 at his position. Cool

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from champs08. Show champs08's posts

Anybody who saw Russell play knows the truth about his influence.

He had both the basketball and communication skills to win championships.

He was the first African-American in the U.S.to be the head coach of a major sports TEAM.

In that capacity his TEAM won two rings in the late 60's.

Hands down, the ultimate winner in TEAM sports!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

[QUOTE]Anybody who saw Russell play knows the truth about his influence. He had both the basketball and communication skills to win championships. He was the first African-American in the U.S.to be the head coach of a major sports TEAM. In that capacity his TEAM won two rings in the late 60's. Hands down, the ultimate winner in TEAM sports!
    Posted by champs08[/QUOTE]

So since he won 2 rings right away without Auerbach, what does that say about Auerbach as a coach? Russell probably could have won that many titles with any decent coach. Auerbach just happened to be there at the right time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Russell : Same as Phil Jackson in CHI and LAL!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

Michael Jordan never won without Jackson. Kobe never won without Jackson. Russell won twice without Auerbach or without any prior coaching experience. Says a lot about Russell and Jackson and a lot less about Auerbach.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from champs08. Show champs08's posts

lakersavenger,

What it tells me is that Auerbach taught the essentials of coaching, so that Russell could be successful. Red had an amazing way of putting teams together that were cohesive and successful. Each player knew his role and how his effort affected the success of the team. Red knew how to motivate and get the best out of each of his players. He used different techniques with each player--knowing who would be motivated by getting yelled at and who needed a softer approach. He wasn't an X's and O's guy, just a Master Psychologist, the likes of which the game has never seen since

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from champs08. Show champs08's posts

Another point to consider is that Russell was a PLAYER/COACH in 68 and 69. Not only was he the best player on the team, he was also the leader in every sense of the word.

Very few athletes can even consider the burden of being a Player/Coach, and Russ relished the challenge. His last game was an upset victory over the favored Lakers in LA! Balloons in the rafters and the USC band ready to play at the end. For all I know, the balloons are still there! This was the Celtics 11th ring in the 13 years of his illustrious career!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Dont understand why so many caught up on saying Russell as greatest "winner"?

He was the greatest winner because he was the greatest player.

THink about it. Whereever he played, he won championships, not 6 years later or after the right players came along. He won titles and almost never lost . His teammates changed from college to the NBA.. Still Russell won championships constantly. It's really scary when you think about it.

The story with MJ always been he needed to learn how to play team ball, then he needed Scottie et al and Phil Jackson... theres a story for everyone .

Russell was the guy everyone else needed. Russell meant instant championship. Do you understand how awesome that is?

I was lucky enough to see Russell play his last 4-5 years. The Sunday games on ABC... thats where I saw the first alley-oop I can recall. Sideline out of bounds play with a second or so remaining... Alley Oop to Russell for the dunk..game over. He was fast as lightning and this was when he got older... he'd catch everything and intimidated most players he was anywhere near.

Anyway, Russ didnt have all the skills of MJ or Larry/Magic and so on. He had different skills and an understanding of the game that was so dominant statiscally and not statiscally, it made him the greatest player ever imo. Not even a contest.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Karl you put everything in proper perspective....nice job...and, honest to God, I saw that alley-oop dunk as well.....the ball came on an inbounds pass to the basket (on the tv screen the basket was to the left....Russ came in and went up and in for the dunk...happens a lot today....but that was the first time I'd ever seen a game end that way....what a great memory of a Sunday afternoon!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Russell : So, Jordan and koME couldn't win without Jackson, but Russell could win without Red, eh?  So, according to YOU, that makes Russ the best player of all-time- thanks for playing!!

And you continue with your childish name-calling rants. You are a man who by your posts I calculate to be about 60 years old or so and act like a middle schooler. What have you done with your life? Do you act like this outside the cyberworld?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

[QUOTE]lakersavenger, What it tells me is that Auerbach taught the essentials of coaching, so that Russell could be successful. Red had an amazing way of putting teams together that were cohesive and successful. Each player knew his role and how his effort affected the success of the team. Red knew how to motivate and get the best out of each of his players. He used different techniques with each player--knowing who would be motivated by getting yelled at and who needed a softer approach. He wasn't an X's and O's guy, just a Master Psychologist, the likes of which the game has never seen since
    Posted by champs08[/QUOTE]
    If Russell was taught so well about the essentials of coaching then why was he such an utter failure as a coach outside of Boston after his playing days? A greater case could be made for Jackson's tutelage under Red Holtzman. Jackson won as a player and then...well we know the end of the story. Russell has even acknowledged that he never saw himself as a coach and that's why he quit. Jackson won in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. Auerbach without Russell the player was very much average. Auerbach accomplished nothing prior to Russell, as a player or coach, and very conveniently quit at the age of 49, I think, rather than show his true abilities as a coach sans Russell. The question remains, if Auerbach remained coaching after Russell, what would have been his level of success? And please don't involve Red's executive position later, we're talking about his coaching abilities, which like I said were very ordinary without Russell. Russell could have won with any good coach at the helm.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Russell : So, the GREAT Mr. Jordan and the MIGHTY Mr. Bryant couldn't win without the estimable Mr. Jackson?  But, Mr. Russell could win without Mr. Auerbach?  Sounds to me like YOU have granted the Greatest of All-Time award to Mr. Russell.  Thanks again for playing.  FOR THE RECORD- I did not invent koME, I stole it from another poster on here.  If you had more history or credibility here, you'd know that.  I just like it.  I think I did invent MeBron, though - I like that one, too.  And when I stop seeing Wheelchair, smirk, thumper, etc.  I will stop calling Bean koME - so go talk to your ah-buddy lakernation32, or whatever he calls himself these days!
    So if I call you an idiot it's ok because someone else called you that first? Your reasoning and logic are very much those of a child. I can understand now why you spend so much of your isolated and underdeveloped life name-calling on the net. You must really get your rocks off at 60 just always on the attack. Sad way to spend one's looming golden years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Russell : So, Jordan and koME couldn't win without Jackson, but Russell could win without Red, eh?  So, according to YOU, that makes Russ the best player of all-time- thanks for playing!!

But worse yet, Russell is still not the GOAT with this logic...

It's a simple explanation, 6 rings in this era is greater than 11 rings in the dark age...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Russell :  Because Russell never coached anyone nearly as good as he was.  Jackson has coached about 20 players better than him.  But if you check the Auerbach coaching tree, it has many more branches than either the Holzman or Jackson trees.  God forbid a man should retire from coaching to spend time with his family.  Contrast that with Phony Phil, who left his wife and children to get in bed with the boss' daughter.  After being fired by Buss, Phil "befriended" Jeannie Buss, who got him his job back - what a weenie. Red's Celtics winning percentages before Russ: 1951 - .565 second place, lost in playoffs 1952 - .591 second place, lost in playoffs 1953 - .583 third place, lost in playoffs 1954 - .583 third place, lost in playoffs 1955 - .500 third place, lost in playoffs 1956 - .542 second place, lost in playoffs. Hardly a NOTHING coach.  Any NBA coach today would get a raise for that record.  Then he cleverly got Russell (Phil was NEVER involved in  personnel decisions), and the rest was history!

Mike Brown got fired for much better record than that.

And unlike Red, he didn't have 3-4 HOFers to work with: Ramsey, Sharman, Cousy, Ed Macauley, Arnie Risen...

Records like that with 3-4 HOFers on the roster would warrant a pink slip nowadays...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from champs08. Show champs08's posts

So the basketball dialog doesn't go your way and you decide to attack Red/Russ and question his parenting. That's out -of-bounds in my book, no matter what.

You can expect that you will not be well-received when you constantly rub the Lakers and their glory in the faces of Celtic fans here. They don't have the history the C's have and technically can be called an expansion team since they originated in Minneapolis.

Funny that no Celtic fans I know even bother going on Laker Forums.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Good post Red/Russ.......and good for you............I am still around....I have put most of the kids on ignore....however, I see their comments when some one on the board "cuts & pastes" when replying....I have no inclination to respone to them at this point...and I must say it saves a lot of wasted time...one point I'd like to make...I read two particular posters that are not on ignore....because they sometime make excellent points...but most recently, I'm disappointed in their posts....very juvenile, which is why I have nothing to say in responce to them either....no names but I think they might know who they are (if they even care)....and it's a shame....because I had some respect for many of their posts...now, I think they are bordering on troll status....and I do not believe that they are youngsters.....sad...oh well....life goes on....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Russell : So since he won 2 rings right away without Auerbach, what does that say about Auerbach as a coach? Russell probably could have won that many titles with any decent coach. Auerbach just happened to be there at the right time.
    Posted by lakersavenger[/QUOTE]
    Another no -nothing post. Don`t have a grasp of cause and effect or logic, do you? Keep amusing us with exemplars of your stupidity lakerpretender. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Russell : And yet the majority of NBA experts dont even have him in the top 5 at his position.
    Posted by koberulz[/QUOTE]
    Only the voices in your head deucebag.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Russell : Mike Brown got fired for much better record than that. And unlike Red, he didn't have 3-4 HOFers to work with: Ramsey, Sharman, Cousy, Ed Macauley, Arnie Risen... Records like that with 3-4 HOFers on the roster would warrant a pink slip nowadays...
    Posted by MajicMVP[/QUOTE]
    Dang, I forgot that Mike Brown won 10 titles.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

The dynamics of the "Russell" Celtics were, essentially, perfect.  The mix of players who proved for over a decade that they meshed their skills and abilities without peer, was partially the genius of Red and that of Russell, et al.  Each major player (HOF) knew his role and was able to add to the whole at a time when every team comprised of NBA-level players from top to bottom.  Those were the glory days of the NBA that saw its star dim until the Bird-Magic era, but different eras have different qualities. For genuine fans of basketball, the earlier time produced a team-oriented game that wasn't just a dunk and self-glorification time.  Watching real plays (#6?) executed to produce results was truly basketball at its best.  Clear-outs or one guy hogging the ball was an anathema to team basketball - and still is.  Such selfishness is an ugly aberration of the game.  Sound like anyone?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Good post Painter.....as far as Russ...? ....the last time they voted on the greatest player in history, Russ was the pick....has their been another vote since...? I don't believe so....although, since the last voting they added Russ' name to the Finals MVP award.....Laker fans have "the Logo" in West...well deserved in my opinion...Celtic fans have "the Greatest"......and the "Finals MVP award".....ok by Celtic fans...MJ was great....but so was Baylor and Robertson......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from champs08. Show champs08's posts

Painter,

Your description is on target. Individual egos took a back seat to the success of the Celtics team approach. The beauty of Red and Russell was that they could get substantial contributions from guys like Larry Siegfried, Wayne Embry, Satch Sanders, and Don Nelson, who helped them win championships.  

Duke,
    Celtic fans also have the NBA Coach of the Year trophy named after---you guessed it---Red Auerbach.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Russell : So, serious question.  How would Pele do in the World Cup today?

Pele won't score 1000+ goals in the game today. Defense is too sophisticated...

And there hasn't been a World Cup in the last 20-30 years with 1950s/1960s-caliber defense, when 3-1, 4-2 are common scores...

But what do you know about soccer?