Bill Walton Mute Button

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmatador1225. Show elmatador1225's posts

Bill Walton Mute Button

I have a great respect for what Walton did as a player, but does anyone else notice that he does not shut the F up?  I mean its cool that CSNNE has a guest commentator, but Gorman can't even get a word in.  Might have to watch tonight's game on ESPN...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

Re: Bill Walton Mute Button

He is a bit ridiculous.  On occasion he says something relatively interesting but for most part is a bombastic bore.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

yeah i am not feeling walton either. i can't wait though, cedric maxwell is doing teh sac game. get that man some napkins!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I loved him as a player but he annoys the HE double hockey sticks out of me as an announcer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kivanc. Show kivanc's posts

After the 3rd quarter of Blazers game, Walton was quoted by saying "the Celtics have outscored the Blazers in the first three quarters. If the trend continues, they will win the game."

Now wasn't that statement a moment of genius

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from frommaine. Show frommaine's posts

He is one of the most annoying announcers I have ever heard.  It is clear that he feels his brilliant thoughts are more important than the game.  I will watch any channel that does not have his constant blathering.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

I like him better than Jackson or Van Gundy.  I just don't like those guys as a team they irritate me.  Van Gundy talking about how the rule where you can't step on the floor off the bench during a scrum is an automatic suspension is a dumb rule and he doesn't like it.  Well, I don't GAS if he doesn't like it, it is a good rule, it is there for the safety of the players and was put in after some horrible incidents during fights.  It is like he's 3 years old and just has no idea why any of the rules are what they are and never watched a game before.  I just can't stand listening to the guy at all.  Jackson and Van Gundy just always disagree, and it is Van Gundy just being a contrarian and he'll contradict himself just to disagree with anyone.  It is annoying he doesn't even believe what is coming out of his own mouth.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

bombastic bore

former Celtic now a lakers fan..

I do admit I liked the comment
    "Restore order in the universe"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The cloud that hangs over his relentless color commentary is that his son is a Laker.  I don't believe as Mike Gorman said he still bleeds green.  He was only here for two years.  Still in small doses with Mike there he is tolerable.  I do think tomorrow is overkill and his commentary will be hard to take. Especially if we lose.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfkeleher. Show mfkeleher's posts

I watch basketball for entertainment, I want the announcer to be the same type of fan I would be sitting with watching the game, if I could, but with a lot more inside information.

Bill fails to meet that criteria. 

With Tommy, as it was with Johnny, it's Tommy and the Celtics, and me against the evils of other teams and the bad referees that favor them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I miss Cousy the most as a Celtics commentator. He is intelligent and doesn't let his emotions get the best of him which is just the opposite of Tommy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I wondered if your own son was on the Lakers would you root for them?  Walton in addition is a San Diego guy and UCLA grad so it seems he is definitely in the Lakers camp.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from frommaine. Show frommaine's posts

Well, we didn't have to listen to him do the Lakers game but it would have been nice to have someone decent with Tommy at the post game show.  It was particuarly interesting when for some reason, Bill wanted to start talking about the Phoenix game, Mike told him gently but firmly, we aren't going to look backwards.  We can talk about where we are today or where we are going but not backwards. 

Is he doing Tuesday's game?  Hopefully there will be an alternative station.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Yet Walton clearly stated he grew up a celtics fan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

I like Walton,and used to watch Clipper games,because he was the broadcaster.
    He woud be awesome again,if he did Blake and the Clippers again.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from frommaine. Show frommaine's posts

In Response to Re: Bill Walton Mute Button:
    [QUOTE]Yet Walton clearly stated he grew up a celtics fan.
    Posted by cole-ely[/QUOTE]

I don't know where his heart is and I liked him as a player.  I just think he is a terrible broadcaster and clearly thinks his views, not only on the Celtics but in life in general, is more important on what is going on in the game. It really sounds like he has several points, quotes, life thoughts that he has developed ahead of time and then works to make sure there is a way to work them into the game.  He will go back to them even if Mike manages to get him to focus on the game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from markp99. Show markp99's posts

Walton noted a few times over the last couple games, Worst (or best) blah blah blah in *franchise history*.  

Now, those were some remarkable achievements for a January game. ;-)

But could have been MUCH worse - we could have had Donny Marshall doing color for this trip! :eek: - truly MUTE-worthy!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

He's horrible. Max is the man to replace Tommy, if he ever retires. I'm a TH fan all the way. I love listening to Max on the radio.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

I think Bill says alot of stuff "tongue and cheek" and he says alot of stuff to kind of get under peoples skin and get a reaction. I think Bill is and would be pretty bored by simply going on and kissing everyone's behind and stating the obvious and telling you things you already know. Alot of you guys are pretty "into" the Celtics. I understand that but you're not always objective about things {like any fans.} Lets be honest about it. For instance, I am more of just a "staight up" basketball {sports} fan and Tommy Heinsohn's obsession with the officials wrecks it for me. There are times I have to mute Heinsohn. I think how we view announcers depends on which part of the fence we are sitting on..........I understand how people might be exasperated with Walton but I don't think your exasperation would bother Bill that much.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

John Wooden told a story once:

"I met Bill's mom after he had graduated, and she thanked me so much.  Bill had a speech impeidment and was very shy as a child.  His mother said, 'You gave him the confidence to speak'.  I replied, 'Yes, and now if someone could get him to STOP talking.......' "

The late, GREAT John Wooden!!