Brad Stevens next Celtics coach.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Re: Brad Stevens next Celtics coach.

Stevens will probably gain recognition as a good hire 3 - 5 years down the road. At this point Stevens is a "project", as it remains to be seen how well he can adapt his coaching style and know-how to the NBA. Danny Ainge has all but guaranteed that the Celtics will lose a lot of games in the coming season without having to tank.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

If the Celts win 30 games this coming season, Brad Stevens' 1st year is a success.

Not if they're tanking. If the Celtics get one of the top  4 picks, his first year will be a success.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Wasn't doc the youngest coach in the NBA at one time ? Shows all of us what we don't know.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Good hire, great coach 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Let the Stevens era begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Born and Raised in LA and I bleed kelly green!!!!!!!  Go Boston.  A fan since 1980....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

Hard to say if this is a good hire or not...

My first reaction is no...not a young coach from college with no experience in the NBA. dealing with kids dying for PT and their scholarship $$$ is a little different than highly paid NBA pros that have a hard time taking sh** from experienced nba coaches, let alone a rookie..

Only thing is to see how it goes... Hopefully DA will get rid of that nightmare Rondo so Stevens wont get off to a bad start..

I agree with almost everything you wrote. I disagree with you about Rondo. You need some kind of continuity of success. You need someone that the other players can learn from on how to will your team to win.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

woah woah woah hold on now

Not sure if this was said elsewhere in this monster thread, but

6 years 22M deal?!?!

Pardon my math, but that seems like its 3+ per year for 6 years ...

DANNY WE ARE TANKING! Y U SPEND SO MUCH ON COACH?!?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

6 years 22M deal?!?!

Why spend so much money on a coach who has yet to prove himself in the pro's? Then again, Danny Ainge once paid big bucks to have Scalabrine on the roster. Junior better coach the h*ll out of this team. Especially when you consider that Ainge passed up on Brett Brown. It's almost like JR Giddens over Deandre Jordan only much worse.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticNut. Show CelticNut's posts

There was a great segment on Brad Stevens a while back on 60 minutes

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

Rick Patino, Jr.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

In response to guyfromtex's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

6 years 22M deal?!?!

Why spend so much money on a coach who has yet to prove himself in the pro's? Then again, Danny Ainge once paid big bucks to have Scalabrine on the roster. Junior better coach the h*ll out of this team. Especially when you consider that Ainge passed up on Brett Brown. It's almost like JR Giddens over Deandre Jordan only much worse.

[/QUOTE]

GOOOD-BYE RONDON'T GOOOOODBYEEEEEEE...

ALL YOU RONDON'T SUPPORTERS, HERE ARE SOME TISSUES FOR YOU, BOO-HOO-HOO!!!!

Maybe a crying towel?

Or Johnny Most repeating over and over "It's All Over"

Take your pick, 'cuz Rondon't will soon be ALL OVER

[/QUOTE]

Just requesting that you remember that every act has a lifetime.  After that it gets boring.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i love this hire...very good basketball mind...i'm pumped!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Other than Larry Brown, has there ever been a college coach who succeeded at the NBA level? If it's only been Brown, how did he adjust his style in order to excel at both the collegiate and professional levels? Might it be a good idea to bring him on board in some capacity as a mentor? He could be one of the dozens of "special consultants," or whatever teams call those guys these days.

I think this is a safe pick for several reasons. First, the Celtics "win" even if they lose. They potentially win big if they lose big. Therefore, it doesn't matter whether Stevens is an epic failure who turns the team into a circus. That actually helps the cause! If Stevens does have some level of success, that's sort of a win too because it means he really can coach at the professional level and he really can teach the young guys to perform well. And with a six year contract, he can ideally do a little bit of both: struggle in the beginning to secure those top draft picks and mold the young players into winners so that when the team is ready to seriously compete by Year 3 (hopefully), they'll be well-poised to challenge for a championship. I don't see much of a downside here.

Looking back at the Pitino years, those could have been successful too with better drafting. It wasn't the losing that hurt the team. It was not getting anything to show for it other than Paul Pierce who fell into their lap.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Like the hire, like the direction Danny is taking the team.  And I absolutely do not see this guy as a Patino encore.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

In response to davidap's comment:

Other than Larry Brown, has there ever been a college coach who succeeded at the NBA level? If it's only been Brown, how did he adjust his style in order to excel at both the collegiate and professional levels? Might it be a good idea to bring him on board in some capacity as a mentor? He could be one of the dozens of "special consultants," or whatever teams call those guys these days.

I think this is a safe pick for several reasons. First, the Celtics "win" even if they lose. They potentially win big if they lose big. Therefore, it doesn't matter whether Stevens is an epic failure who turns the team into a circus. That actually helps the cause! If Stevens does have some level of success, that's sort of a win too because it means he really can coach at the professional level and he really can teach the young guys to perform well. And with a six year contract, he can ideally do a little bit of both: struggle in the beginning to secure those top draft picks and mold the young players into winners so that when the team is ready to seriously compete by Year 3 (hopefully), they'll be well-poised to challenge for a championship. I don't see much of a downside here.

Looking back at the Pitino years, those could have been successful too with better drafting. It wasn't the losing that hurt the team. It was not getting anything to show for it other than Paul Pierce who fell into their lap.

All the draft picks, particularly the two next year, may help him. Doc was a horrible coach until he got an overwhelming amount of talent in '07. Sometimes, you just have so much talent that there is no way that you can scr*w things up. It helped Doc that he had a great floor general in KG.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i think drew cannon is comming with stevens to boston!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-college-basketball-mens-tournament/news/20130320/drew-cannon-butler/

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/03/20/2766369/raleigh-math-guru-cannon-is-butler.html

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from srinivasa. Show srinivasa's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

[QUOTE]

Hard to say if this is a good hire or not...

My first reaction is no...not a young coach from college with no experience in the NBA. dealing with kids dying for PT and their scholarship $$$ is a little different than highly paid NBA pros that have a hard time taking sh** from experienced nba coaches, let alone a rookie..

Only thing is to see how it goes... Hopefully DA will get rid of that nightmare Rondo so Stevens wont get off to a bad start..

I agree with almost everything you wrote. I disagree with you about Rondo. You need some kind of continuity of success. You need someone that the other players can learn from on how to will your team to win.

[/QUOTE]

Will your team to win?

Rondo?

During the regular season?

{#emotions_dlg.undecided}

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Yes

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I think you guys are going to have this coach for a long long time.  Celtics is a big job, but so was taking Butler to two consecutive NCAA finals amongst the big schools.  I think he can handle it, and as a hoosier, I am rooting for him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

[QUOTE]

6 years 22M deal?!?!

[/QUOTE]

Because the first or year or two are prime rebuilding years.  This is speculations but Stevens need reassurance and commitment from the team to see him through the lean years and give him a chance to possibly reap the benefit of the rebuilding and talents that could come later.  I think it is a sign from Ainge that he is doing this for long term and Stevens have a couple of free mulligan years before good results are expected of him.