Build Through The Draft

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Re: Build Through The Draft

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to prakash's comment:

You missed my point completely.  I am OK with gambling but not all or nothing bets.  Danny has been making bets.  If the Celts did not get hit by a series of unfortunate injuries, to young players too, he would have a lot more to show for his efforts.  I am simply arguing that the plan has to be more comprehensive than just build through draft.

The Celts have no choice.

Signing big name free-agents will not work because we all know big name free-agents are not really excited to come to Boston.

Through trades requires you to have assets.

So the only way is through the draft, for now.

The only way accumulate assets is to draft wisely. Just like what the Celts did to get Ray and KG in 2007. 

That's exactly what we are doing...Sully, AB, Green, Melo...I think were almost half way there..just need more peices...getting that #5 pick would certainly expedite the process..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Fierce, trying to follow OKC is like so many teams trying to follow the 3-guard strategy after the Pistons' success.  For one OKC there are the Bulls, Clippers, Portland, Charlotte and others.  At the end of the day, it is very simple, you have to maximize every opportunity: draft, free-agents and trades.  And then you have to hope to be in the right place at the right time to make that big hit.

Remember, the Celts had the best odds to get the first pick to draft Duncan?  San Antonio was nowhere in the odds picture.  Ended up in a disaster.  Same with the 2007 draft.  The Celts ended up with Jeff Green, instead of Durant, whom they traded and got back but you don't consider him to be a special player.

Like I said, when was the last time the Celts signed a free-agent All-Star player? 

And I mean not a washed up All-Star player like Rasheed Wallace.

If the Celts got Durant in 2007 then Ainge would not have traded Durant.

Here's the thing, how do you acquire assets? 

It's only through the draft that you can get quality players that you can use in a trade.

Having the 21st pick every year because you keep fighting for the 7th or 8th seed is a waste of time.

so signing mid level players can't be used in trades for top tier players.  Again building thru the draft is not the ONLY way as you have suggested,  it is merely one way.  Not very many teams are successful going that route either.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

You missed my point completely.  I am OK with gambling but not all or nothing bets.  Danny has been making bets.  If the Celts did not get hit by a series of unfortunate injuries, to young players too, he would have a lot more to show for his efforts.  I am simply arguing that the plan has to be more comprehensive than just build through draft.

Signing big name free-agents will not work because we all know big name free-agents are not really excited to come to Boston.

The only way accumulate assets is to draft wisely. Just like what the Celts did to get Ray and KG in 2007. 

That's exactly what we are doing...Sully, AB, Green, Melo...I think were almost half way there..just need more peices...getting that #5 pick would certainly expedite the process..

Sorry but Melo should not be on a list of our assets.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

Sorry but Melo should not be on a list of our assets.

I wish i thought you were wrong, but i don't!!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

I don't comment often, but I will say this about Fab: he has gotten better at basketball every year I have seen him play. He went from a worthless scrub and a waste of a roster spot (he only played about 7 min a game) as a freshman to the Big East Defensive Player of the Year as a sophomore. I watched him in the summer league and he looked even better. He was much more trim, had decent footwork, etc. Fab has good form on his jumper for a guy that size. You have to remember he's only been playing basketball for a few years. Give him some time to work with KG.

As for Carter-Williams, he's another point guard that can't really shoot but has great court vision. His problem is his height. He dribbles the ball too high and will tend to lose control a little bit. Good first step, bad FT shooter, tries to make the home run play but sometimes only has warning track power. He's never afraid to take a big shot, which is a good and bad thing.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

so signing mid level players can't be used in trades for top tier players.  Again building thru the draft is not the ONLY way as you have suggested,  it is merely one way.  Not very many teams are successful going that route either.

Here it is, OneOnOne.

Well I just looked at all the posts on this thread and can't find what you have pasted..  Do better.  If its from another thread post the whole thing.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

You can't find the post below?

posted at 5/13/2013 7:44 AM EDT

• OneOnOne
    • First: 1/3/2009
    • Last: 5/16/2013

Fierce, trying to follow OKC is like so many teams trying to follow the 3-guard strategy after the Pistons' success.  For one OKC there are the Bulls, Clippers, Portland, Charlotte and others.  At the end of the day, it is very simple, you have to maximize every opportunity: draft, free-agents and trades.  And then you have to hope to be in the right place at the right time to make that big hit.

Remember, the Celts had the best odds to get the first pick to draft Duncan?  San Antonio was nowhere in the odds picture.  Ended up in a disaster.  Same with the 2007 draft.  The Celts ended up with Jeff Green, instead of Durant, whom they traded and got back but you don't consider him to be a special player.

Like I said, when was the last time the Celts signed a free-agent All-Star player? 

And I mean not a washed up All-Star player like Rasheed Wallace.

If the Celts got Durant in 2007 then Ainge would not have traded Durant.

Here's the thing, how do you acquire assets? 

It's only through the draft that you can get quality players that you can use in a trade.

Having the 21st pick every year because you keep fighting for the 7th or 8th seed is a waste of time.

You know as well as I do that there is suppose to be a question mark at the end of that sentence.  The question was directed at you since you said the only way was thru the draft. Its pretty obvious that I do believe you can sign mid level player and use them for trade bait. Duh.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

So you knew it was a question yet you made it look like I was insinuating something.  You knew you were just trying to focus the attention on something else.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

Wade won a championship because they traded for Shaq.

Your naming one player on a team.  Thats not building thru the draft.  Thats just getting one player.  The Mavs got their players thru trades as well.  None of the teams your mentioning actually built thru the draft unless you count getting a superstar.  That doesn't happen very often.  Like I said name me some teams that built thru the draft.  Just doesn't happen much these days.  Players move very often from team to team.  Trades and free agents are the way to build a team,  along with getting lucky with some draft picks.

The celtics should hit the button.The 2014 draft is projected to be a strong one. We cannot rebuils if we continue to draft in between 16 and below.Go Celtics.

I agree with the trades part. But the signing of a big name free-agent, I don't think the Celts can pull that off.

Also, how can you get a player like Shaq through trades if don't have assets?

The Heat got Shaq by trading Caron Butler, the Heat's 2002 lottery pick.

Draft picks are essential in making blockbuster trades. No team would give up a quality player for just the 25th pick or the 20th pick. And the only way to get valuable draft picks is if the team only wins 20 or 30 games in one season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

The 2014 dradt is projected to be a strong one.The Celtics should play the guys they have now,hit the botton and be in the lottery next year.Finishing in the middle of the pack will not do it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

So you knew it was a question yet you made it look like I was insinuating something.  You knew you were just trying to focus the attention on something else.

Typical Fungus34 .... Ugh!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

You want all the assets that the Wolves got for KG?

Big Al

Gerald Green

Ryan Gomes

Sebastian Telfair

#6 pick of the 2009 Draft

#28 pick of the 2009 Draft

The #6 pick is a lottery pick, right?

See what Fungus does?

He conveniently leaves out the biggest asset used in the trade for KG ....Theo Ratliff's expiring contract!!!

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

The biggest part of that KG deal was the 6th pick of the 2009 Draft.

That's not only a 1st round pick, that's a lottery pick!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2954127

> The package going back to Minnesota, sources say, is built around two assets Wolves vice president Kevin McHale has long coveted: Al Jefferson and Theo Ratliff's expiring contract.

It is believed the deal also calls for the Celtics to ship youngsters Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair and Ryan Gomes to Minnesota, along with a future first-round draft pick and the return of a first-rounder the Wolves surrendered in the Wally Szczerbiak-Ricky Davis trade in January 2006.

So you are saying that rather than cap space provided by Theo's expiring contract and Big AL, the key to the trade was the 2009 6th and 28th picks that Minny got from the C's?????

Jonny Flynn and Wayne Ellington are what the T-Wolves were really craving in 2009, not Big Al and Cap Space?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ....... RIGHT!!!!!!!!