Re: Calling all Laker fans where are you?
posted at 5/14/2011 10:25 PM EDT
In Response to Re: Calling all Laker fans where are you?
[QUOTE]to our friend "it's not 1966 anymor"......a few things to consider... since the advent of the modern NBA (shot clock era) Celtics 17 titles....Lakers 11 Finals winning percentages....Celtics .809 (17-4) Lakers .423 (11-15) ....and this brings up the notion of great closers....you know, how you guys love to say the mamba is the best closer in the league (not, by the way...check out the last 5 years stats)...anyway...my point is...how good have the modern Lakers been at "closing" in the Finals...? (see 11-15) ....not really very good were they...? You hang your hat on Phil and his 11 titles (5 with LA)...who retired at 65? ....we hang our hat on Red who retired at 50 with 10...and then was GM and President who oversaw the next 6....and who built the team from the ground floor ...are you really sure that you want to continue the comparisons? ....because I can give you more if you'd like.... Celtics vs. Lakers in the Finals........9-3 Celts (including 8 straight spanning 25 years) Finals being swept 4 straight...? Lakers 3 (once by Boston)....Celtics...nope!! ....and as far as the long drought after '86.....please consider this and give me an honest answer....how would your franchise history book look if (1)Worthy died before he ever played a game for your franchise and (2)say Byron Scott died a few years later....would this have altered the Laker landscape...methinks the answer is an overwhelming YES! Lastly.....Q said we only won one with the Big #3.....correct....but we destroyed the league in year #1 (and LA in the Finals)....were on a roll until KG was lost for the season the next year....we went to the final two minutes of game 7 on the road last year (with Perk out)...and we gave a better showing in the playoffs this year than your team did... Remember....our team never QUIT.....your team did twice...in '08 in Boston and this year in Dallas....39 and 33 point losses if I'm not mistaken....the Celtics have never embarrassed themselves in the Finals like LA did....lost in OT with our floor leader playing with a dislocated elbow (ouch).....need I say more...?
Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]
Duke, you definitely have a weird perspective in sports. You are cherishing failure and actually bragging about failure.
1) Is the NBA only about the finals? what about the years that the Celtics don't reach the finals? Are those failures counted or not? or are you rewarding teams for NOT reaching the finals?
Look at how they do it in baseball standings. Tell me the 16-47 team is how many games behind.
2) 16-15 is of course very good, it means they won the conference 31 times (31-9 in conference finals). Is it better or worse than the Celtics’ 21-11 in conference finals?
3) As of Worthy died, how do you know Bias was Worthy? He’s an unproven talent in the NBA. He could be Worthy, but he could also be LaRue Martin or David Greenwood.
And Worthy had a 11-year career. Had Worthy been lost, they probably wouldn't have won in 85, 87 and 88. The Lakers still won 5 titles after the Worthy era. How many did the Celtics win from 1997-2011?
4) Yes, you destroyed LA in the finals. Maybe you think reaching the final is worse than losing in the 2nd round, but you are definitely in the minority, given how your fellow fans reacted last year.
I’ll take a Game 6 blowout loss in the final ANYTIME over a 2nd round elimination. Your fellow fans’ response after the game 7 loss last year (“proud of the Celtics”, “job well done”, “beyond expectations”, ...) definitely refute the notion that losing in the finals is worse than losing in the 2nd round.
In other words, losing in the 2nd round is a much BIGGER FAILURE than losing in the finals, whether you like it or not.
5) As for getting swept in the finals. Nope, the Celtics never got swept in the finals, because they are used to getting swept in the 1st round or the 2nd round. I mean, The Lakers still got swept fewer times than the Celtics did in this millenium. Remember 2003 and 2004? Maybe you like to cherish those sweeps because it didn’t happen in the finals...
Of course, the years you cherish the most should be the ML Carr/Rick Pitino years, when they missed the playoffs. No sweeps, no losses in the finals. Keeping your 17-3 record intact...
6) Well, the Celtics never embarrassed themselves in the finals like the Lakers did. They know full well how to do it some other way: missing the playoffs altogether.
7) As of this year, yep, your team give a “better” showing, when you brag about a 1-4 loss in the 2nd round over your rival's 0-4 loss, it’s just solid proof that the Lakers’ past 3 decades have got to your nerve. Of course, that’s what 21 years of drought do to your psyche.
8) I really wonder your perspective of quitting. A team that won 14 games in the playoffs is quitting, while a team that won 7 games, including a 19-point loss at home in game 7, is “NEVER QUIT”.
9) the Lakers is a franchise, regardless of whether it's in Minny or LA. Haven't you heard of the Minneapolis Lakers?