Calling all Laker fans where are you?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

Re: Calling all Laker fans where are you?

In Response to Re: Calling all Laker fans where are you?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling all Laker fans where are you? : SHOW PROOF THAT THE NBA HAS A GOLDEN ERA!
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986%E2%80%9387_NBA_season

The 1986-87 season was also known as the "Golden Era" of the NBA. The 1987 NBA season featured up to 20 Hall of Fame players such as Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, James Worthy, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Moses Malone, Julius Erving, Isiah Thomas, Dominique Wilkins, Charles Barkley, Akeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Alex English, Patrick Ewing, Adrian Dantley, and Joe Dumars.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/203187-lebron-james-competition-weak-compared-to-the-nbas-golden-era

In conclusion, though the NBA has great talent today and is very popular, Nothing can compare to the legacy's created during the 1980's. I guess that is why they call it the NBA's "Golden Era".

http://www.emptythebench.com/2009/11/02/magic-johnson-and-larry-bird-interview/

It was a Golden Era of NBA basketball, one that Bird, Johnson, and Thomas played huge roles in cultivating, and it was that era that helped hook me and millions others onto this sport for life.

http://hoopspeak.com/tag/magic-johnson/

In Ryan DeGama’s contribution to HoopSpeak’s Basketball Culture 101 series, he discusses the notion of Bird-Magic as a golden era for the NBA.

http://www.amazon.com/When-Game-Ours-Larry-Bird/dp/product-description/0547225474

From The Washington Post

... But make no mistake: The '80s, when Bird and Magic ruled, were the NBA's golden era.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]Even up to now the Celts still continue to dominate the Lakers. The Lakers only won 4 playoff games this season while the Celts won 5 playoff games. Just like the Lakers have 5+11 championships, 11 parades in LA and 5 parades in Minneapolis, and the Celts have 17 titles, all in Boston. HAHAHA!!!

Yep, now the Celtics fans have to resort to celebrate a 4-1 2nd round loss. Time certainly has changed...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks ......man, this argument is getting old......no one is about to change their opinion....I will make one last point on the "Big Four".......I did not make up that term....it was used throughout the '80's......[/QUOTE]
    By whom? I was there in the 80s. I can assure you that you are dreaming.

[QUOTE]in any given season, the best team may not prevail...[/QUOTE]
    That's not what Bill Russell said...

[QUOTE]
    I don't think the Rockets were better than the Lakers when they went to the Finals....[/QUOTE]
    That's what you don't think. I think the Rockets were better than the Lakers. So it's your opinion vs my opinion. Now what?

You can't dispute the fact because of your opinions. Besides, my opinion count as much as yours. So there goes your opinion.

[QUOTE]
    LA had no other team of it's calibre in the West in those days....Boston had to get through both the Sixers and the Bucks to reach the finals...later the Pistons replaced Milwaukee in the mix......[/QUOTE]
    Quick, cite me a year that the Celtics had to get through BOTH the 76ers and the Bucks to reach the finals. Go ahead, I can't wait...

It's funny that the 76ers had to play BOTH the Celtics and the Bucks (81, 82, 85), while the spoiler Bucks had to play BOTH the 76ers and the Celtics (83, 86). Yet the Celtics never had to play both, let alone to play both to get to the finals.

And later the 76ers faded away when the Piston rose to prominence (first round exit in 87 and 89, missed playoffs in 88), so you think you can get away with garbage like this when I watched as many games as, if not more games than you in the 80s?

[QUOTE]
    give the Bucks some credit.....they won 59 and 57 games and couldn't reach the finals...the lost the Eastern Conference Finals three times in four years ('83,'84,'86) ......take a look at the talent they had... Bob Lanier Marques Johnson Sidny Montcrief Junior Bridgeman Terry Cummings Paul Pressey Brian Winters Phil Ford Rickey Pierce that team was loaded....they just couldn't get past both Boston and Philly in the same year....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Yeah, let's see.

How many HOFers are on your list? Bob Lanier, who else?

3 conference final losses? one HOFer on the roster? 57+ wins twice but can't even make the finals?

are you talking about the Phoenix Suns? Conference finals in 2005, 2006 and 2010? Steve Nash? with 62-20 and 61-21 records on their books? Blocked by two teams with a total of 9 championships in the post-Jordan era (as opposed to the 76ers' and the Celtics' total of 4).

Nope, I wouldn't scoop down so low to blame "we Lakers can't make more finals because of a BIG TEAM like the Phoenix Suns in our conference".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]Duke is right, this argument is getting old.  There are plenty of other threads debating this topic, see "The vaunted west is overrated". Slice and dice the stats any way you want, when all else fails it's about the championship count. Conferences: Despite a stellar run for the West of late where they've won 9 out of 12, they still trail the East by far in overall championship count. Teams: Celtics have more championships than the lakers any way you want to slice and dice it; number of titles in same city, head to head overall, head to head in the Finals, total number of championships. Again like Duke said, nothing will ever change any fans' minds on either side on this topic so maybe it's time to make like the lakers in game 4 and quit.
    Posted by OC-CeltsFan[/QUOTE]

You can enjoy your head to head, but you can't answer where the Celtics were when the Lakers won 13 of the 16 championships.  I'll take a loss to the Celtics in the finals over a 2nd round exit ANYTIME. Your fellow fans' reaction after the game 7 loss last year concurred this sentiment.

Celtics don't have more championships than the Lakers since the Golden era or the Modern Era (since the merger). For the championships in the bush league era, enjoy them...

Now, if you want to know who consider the post-merger era as the "modern era", just ask...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

How come the longest threads here always concern the Lakers and how bad they are? And yet you all whine about us Laker fans coming here to troll. Could it be that you just can't stand our overwhelming success especially in the last 31 years while the Ks have languished in mediocrity over the last 25 years? You go to a Laker forum and you guys are rarely if ever mentioned let alone threads with hundreds of posts. Ya know why? Because we don't see you as a challenge anymore. You're one and done. Even your own sportswriters see the writing on the wall. Ya know what we talk about at Laker forums? About how we're gonna work in Dwight Howard, our next center, and about when we put the all statues they will be of Chamberlain, Kareem, Shaq (the real one, not that fat mess you ended up with) and Howard. Yep, in the end we always end up with the best in their prime.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

to Majic and Avenger....good post by both of you and I agree with many of your points.....I will only add two points of my own....

1-"The Big Four" was being used by the media all the time.....now I lived on the East Coast so maybe it was used by the beat writers here and not on the West Coast..since Boston and Philly are fairly close and were huge rivals...I didn't mean to say that Boston had to beat both Milwaukee and Philly in the same year....I meant that 3 of the 4 teams resided in the East and fought one another during the regular season and into the play-offs....if you remember, in '83 I believe, the Bucks swept the Celtics...

2-Avenger, you are absolutely correct.....players want to play in LA way more than they would like going to Boston.....first of all, the Lakers are like the Yankees....they will pay the price....and even if the money was equal, these guys would prefer the glitter of Hollywood and the Southern California weather over winter in Boston....most of these guys have no knowledge of NBA history....they choose money, the night life, and the nice weather.....most would take Miami (and South Beach) or Orlando over Boston as well....I have no problem with that....it is a fact of life....I think the only athletes that really look to go to a team with a great history are baseball players....hence, the ability of the Yanks to be the leader in free agency....you may very well end up with DH.....just like you did with Shaq....

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OC-CeltsFan. Show OC-CeltsFan's posts

[QUOTE]How come the longest threads here always concern the Lakers and how bad they are? And yet you all whine about us Laker fans coming here to troll. Could it be that you just can't stand our overwhelming success especially in the last 31 years while the Ks have languished in mediocrity over the last 25 years? You go to a Laker forum and you guys are rarely if ever mentioned let alone threads with hundreds of posts. Ya know why? Because we don't see you as a challenge anymore. You're one and done. Even your own sportswriters see the writing on the wall. Ya know what we talk about at Laker forums? About how we're gonna work in Dwight Howard, our next center, and about when we put the all statues they will be of Chamberlain, Kareem, Shaq (the real one, not that fat mess you ended up with) and Howard. Yep, in the end we always end up with the best in their prime.
    Posted by lakersavenger[/QUOTE]

You are completely contradicting yourself with this post.  The fact that you trolls have to come to our board says it all.  Second place will forever be jealous of First place and therefore you have the need to come here and justify yourselves.  As for us in First place, we can sit and laugh at you each time you try and fail to catch us.  
    Thanks for clarifying to all of us your need to come here so frequently. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]to Majic and Avenger....good post by both of you and I agree with many of your points.....I will only add two points of my own.... 1-"The Big Four" was being used by the media all the time.....now I lived on the East Coast so maybe it was used by the beat writers here and not on the West Coast..since Boston and Philly are fairly close and were huge rivals...I didn't mean to say that Boston had to beat both Milwaukee and Philly in the same year....I meant that 3 of the 4 teams resided in the East and fought one another during the regular season and into the play-offs....if you remember, in '83 I believe, the Bucks swept the Celtics... Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

You said:

"Boston had to get through both the Sixers and the Bucks to reach the finals",

yet you didn't mean to say that Boston had to beat both Milwaukee and Philly in the same year?

Have you made up your mind what to say yet?

The Big 4 was NOT there anytime. It's only your imagination. Anyway, your boost of Celtics' excuse of NOT making the finals more often is based on this vivid imagintion. So there goes your sorry excuse.

So what if Celtics was swept by the Bucks in 83? The Lakers lost to the Rockets twice and Phoenix once, all three instances with HCA. Likewise, the Celtics lost twice to the 76ers and the Bucks once in all three instances with HCA. So by your logic, the West was equally as tough.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling all Laker fans where are you? : According to the wikipedia the golden era is the 1986-87 season. That's 1 season, not 10. You said the Lakers were 10-4 since the golden era, that's not accurate because according to the wikipedia the golden era lasted only 1 season, the 1986-87 season. SO STOP MANIPULATING THE FACTS!

There are other citings that the golden era started with the Magic/Bird era. So deal with it.

If you like to start with 1986-87, no problem. It's 7-1.

So it's either 7-1 or 10-4, take your pick.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]Seriously, Majic, amazon.com said the NBA had a golden era? HAHAHA!!!

You obviously didn't read it. Do your homework, kiddy!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling all Laker fans where are you? : You are completely contradicting yourself with this post.  The fact that you trolls have to come to our board says it all.  Second place will forever be jealous of First place and therefore you have the need to come here and justify yourselves.  As for us in First place, we can sit and laugh at you each time you try and fail to catch us.   Thanks for clarifying to all of us your need to come here so frequently. 
    Posted by OC-CeltsFan[/QUOTE]

Yep, 2nd place is always jealous of first place. I mean, when your camp had to brag about "we go out in the 2nd round with 1 win while you got swept", "we showed heart during the 4-1 humiliation while your team quitted".

It's obvious that who's jealous of whom?

10-4 or 7-1? take your pick. Fierce obviously like the sound of 7-1 better...

You won 17? yet you failed 48 times.

17-48 vs 16-47, you have NO lead there. As long as the Celtics played two more seasons than the Lakers, you are LOCKED into a tie. Look at the National League standings as of the morning of 5/25:

Philadelphia 29 19 -
    St Louis 30 20 -
    Florida 27 19 1

What do you think the "-" means?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

well, I tried being civil and I explained my points... even explained how I must have failed in making it clear on the point about the Big Four...... I thought I was talking to a responsible adult......I guess not......if you are a kid, I can understand it......if you are an adult then you are not worth any more of my time.....time to move on.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]well, I tried being civil and I explained my points... even explained how I must have failed in making it clear on the point about the Big Four...... I thought I was talking to a responsible adult......I guess not......if you are a kid, I can understand it......if you are an adult then you are not worth any more of my time.....time to move on.....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Duke, you can't get any more civilized than my post. I listed out the contradictions of your own argument and the irrationality of your logic. If you can't deal with it like an adult and scoop down to "this is childish", then so be it. I mean, watching the NBA for upteenth years isn't going to give you right to make things up. I've been there long enough to know what happened in the Bird/Magic era, what's true and what's not.

Anyway, your arguments don't wash. Hiding it with a childish rebuttal isn't going to refute the facts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Majic.....no matter how much you want to ignore history....the modern era started with the advent of the shot clock......I've stated all the facts before.....

Boston, 17-4 in the Finals in the modern (shot clock) era......Lakers 11-15

Boston .809 percentage in the finals....(dominance)....Lakers .423 in LA....516 all time (average)

Boston over Lakers all time regular season records (and it isn't close)

Boston 9-3 head to head in the Finals.....dominance

Since each team plays in a different conference, the only way to really compare them is head to head in the regular season.....head to head in the playoffs....and winning percentages in the Finals when it's all on the line.....Celtics dominate all of these categories...

what don't you get....?

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OC-CeltsFan. Show OC-CeltsFan's posts

[QUOTE]Majic.....no matter how much you want to ignore history....the modern era started with the advent of the shot clock......I've stated all the facts before..... Boston, 17-4 in the Finals in the modern (shot clock)......Lakers 11-15 Boston .809 percentage in the finals....(dominance)....Lakers .423 in LA....516 all time (average) Boston over Lakers all time regular season records (and it isn't close) Boston 9-3 head to head in the Finals.....dominance Since each team plays in a different conference, the only way to really compare them is head to head in the regular season.....head to head in the playoffs....and winning percentages in the Finals when it's all on the line.....Celtics dominate all of these categories... what don't you get....?
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

You nailed it Duke.  Trolls can argue that the West has always been as strong as the East, but there's no arguing the head to head.  The problem is they are too stubborn to get it through their thick skulls, digging up petty little stats or articles.  Just ask yourselves, who owns who?  It's all in black and white ink. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

You know, it's a shame that Hollinger (a Laker fan, I might add) wrote that column that stated (in his opinion) that the Lakers are the greatest franchise in history.....this argument has gone on for at least a year.....we are wasting a lot of time and energy on this topic when we all know that none of us are about to change our opinions.....Laker fans use the argument that they have more Finals appearances...Celtic fans point to the fact that we are better head to head, have more championships in fewer appearances, and have an .809 winning percentage compared to .516 (.423 in their city).....as I stated...NO ONE IS CHANGING THEIR BELIEFS ON THIS ISSUE.....I say let's move on...pride seems to be getting in everyone's way at this point.........the two greatest teams and the greatest rivalry....why not just leave it at that?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

The strange thing is that people assume that their team and I'm talking about the Trolls here that the good times will continue to roll.

That may well not be the case. Nobody can judge on what will happen in the future. I'm pretty sure Celtics fans would have believed, sincerely believed that their team would have gone on winning titles into the late 80's and beyond after the 1986 season had ended.

Nobody can say what the future will hold. Death, gross mismanagement and injury destroyed that possible era for the Celtics and it can happen to any team. Including ours.

I think we'll go past the Celtics all time wins eventually. Our ownership and management is very stable and this is key to rebuilding. It's a massive advantage in my mind.

Said it before, there's no shame in coming second to a Bill Russell led Celtics team. Coming second to Russell is almost a pseudo championship of sorts. Especially when you take that team to 7 games.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Good post......I agree......and, while it is true that Buss will be aggressive and pay top dollar, another thing is in their favor....the city.....if you are a twenty-something, millionaire athlete....do you choose Boston over Southern California weather and Hollywood?....or South Beach's night life?.....of course you don't....it is just a fact..and it does give LA the edge....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]Majic.....no matter how much you want to ignore history....the modern era started with the advent of the shot clock......I've stated all the facts before..... Boston, 17-4 in the Finals in the modern (shot clock) era......Lakers 11-15 Boston .809 percentage in the finals....(dominance)....Lakers .423 in LA....516 all time (average) Boston over Lakers all time regular season records (and it isn't close) Boston 9-3 head to head in the Finals.....dominance Since each team plays in a different conference, the only way to really compare them is head to head in the regular season.....head to head in the playoffs....and winning percentages in the Finals when it's all on the line.....Celtics dominate all of these categories... what don't you get....?
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

I thought you are done with this thread, "time to move on"? I know you would still be fumed for getting your argument shut down...

No matter how you want to twist history, the merger is regarded as the demarcation point of the modern NBA, an era that's not something for the Celtics to write home about...

http://www.mysportsarena.com/content.php?433-Basketball-is-Changing...

Since the NBA/ABA merger in 1976 (widely regarded as the beginning of the modern NBA)

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/03/kevin-love-the-new-double-double-king/

"Love gutted it out through a knee injury and set a new modern NBA record for most consecutive double-doubles (an incredible 52)."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=BestFinalsGame-Individual-intro

"With the help of our ace staffer Alok Pattani, we compiled the game score for every Finals game since 1977, which is a useful cut-off point for two reasons. First, that's when the ABA and NBA merged, and the "modern" NBA era began."

http://paintsinthepoint.com/2009/06/01/the-mystique-of-the-association/#more-24

"The modern NBA was the corollary of the 1976 merger between the freewheeling American Basketball Association (ABA) and the stalwart National Basketball Association (NBA)."

And facts are: the Lakers won 31 conference titles, that's nothing you can do about. Boosting the Milwaukee Bucks is NOT a fact, but your feeble attempt to make excuse for the Celtics' comparative failure in the conference.

Boston 17-48, Lakers 16-47. Refute this FACT.

And when the Celtics were 9-3 over the Lakers in the finals, then where were the Celtics when the Lakers won 13 of their 16 titles?

And why was the only way to compare them is head-to-head? whose rule is that? You mean the Lakers' other 13 titles don't count? at least not according to the NBA.

What I don't get is why you keep bragging about the Celtics' failure in the overall playoffs...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling all Laker fans where are you? : Other citings? Like there are alien citings at Area 51? HAHAHA!!!

The 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th citings of my post that gave you the citings, but too scared for you to look, huh?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/203187-lebron-james-competition-weak-compared-to-the-nbas-golden-era

In conclusion, though the NBA has great talent today and is very popular, Nothing can compare to the legacy's created during the 1980's. I guess that is why they call it the NBA's "Golden Era".

http://www.emptythebench.com/2009/11/02/magic-johnson-and-larry-bird-interview/

It was a Golden Era of NBA basketball, one that Bird, Johnson, and Thomas played huge roles in cultivating, and it was that era that helped hook me and millions others onto this sport for life.

http://hoopspeak.com/tag/magic-johnson/

In Ryan DeGama’s contribution to HoopSpeak’s Basketball Culture 101 series, he discusses the notion of Bird-Magic as a golden era for the NBA.

http://www.amazon.com/When-Game-Ours-Larry-Bird/dp/product-description/0547225474

From The Washington Post

... But make no mistake: The '80s, when Bird and Magic ruled, were the NBA's golden era.