Can Ainge do anything to fix the wait?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Can Ainge do anything to fix the wait?

How does he turn this around RELATIVELY quick? without waiting years?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from N2thaIzzo. Show N2thaIzzo's posts

Re: Can Ainge do anything to fix the wait?

I don't know much about anyone in this years draft, but he NEEDS to find a player in the draft.  NEEDS TO!!!!  Preferebly a 4 or a 5 who can defend.  Can't draft any more Fab Melo's, Jajuan Johnsons, or the such.  That is step one. 

Step 2, IMO is figuring out how to get the most out of Bass on the offensive end.  His first year here, he was banging that foul line jumper effortlessly.  He struggled offensively this year, but his defense on Melo in the post-season was great.  Hopefully, they tell him to work on a post game this summer.

Step 3:  Get some height.  I'm talking 6'11 or better.  Someone who can give us some rebounds. 

Forget about bringing any good free agents here.  The money is not there.  He may try to trade some players, but he's just going to get another team's garbage in return.  The turn around has to be done building around Rondo and Jeff Green.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

I think it's a combination of 2 problems. One Doc doesn't profess to Ainge how much he needs big men. Two Ainge doesn't tell Doc to use big men. So it's never addressed and when it is, it's for cosmetics not for use.

Changing the philosophy of the team is a major move. KG may be able to last another year with a different coach who will get KG some help.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

The C's drafted a PF and a C just last year. Unfortunately at this low seeds it is always a gamble (project, injury prone or immature). But it is not like Ainge never drafts Bigs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Correct, we draft/sign them and then don't user them...i.e. Melo, Darko. A few years ago we had a baker's dozen with Perk, Shaq, KG, JON, Erden and by March all we had was KG. Then we had Steemer and Hollins and didn't resign either. This year we bring in White and Randolph and don't play either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

So first it was Ainge not drafting bigs, cause Doc doesn't asks him for.

Now it is, Ainge drafts/buys them, but Doc doesn't play them?

As far as I know: Didn't Doc play Shaq, JON, Steamer, Sully and even Erden?

Shaq, JON and Sully were injured, Erden as well --> Bad Luck. Steamer left for more money and doesn't set the world on fire,  after he left, right? Same about Erden --> Out of the league! Perk played more here, as he does in OKC even though they have no backup as well.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from N2thaIzzo. Show N2thaIzzo's posts

Shav sucks.. He is not a legitimate nba player.  People were complaining last year when Doc didn't play Jajuan Johnson.  Where is he now?  Steamer sucks, DJ White sucks.

I'll admit, it is difficult to find players as low as they draft, but it is possible.  Rondo was drafted in the 20s.  Draft is key to going forward.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to Iceman4's comment:

There are no shortcuts. The Celtic fans will have to wait at least 10 years.

Unless Lebron or Durant decides to sign with the Celts in the near future.

It won't take 10 years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

To turn the team around relatively quickly, I would do the following:

1.  Trade Pierce for either a low draft choice or emerging young talent.  In my scenario we trade Pierce for a PG like Bledsoe so we can...

2. Trade Rondo for a quality young big man (someone like Cousins).  We will not get a starting quality center in the draft. Period. Rondo is our only asset that will enable us to get a starting C and I would rather have a starting center and Bledsoe (or similiar talent) than Rondo without a center.

3.  Draft the best SG with the 16th pick.  We should end up with the 2nd or 3rd best in the country and an immediate starter.  Centers, PGs and SF will be the main focus of earlier picks. 

4.  Land the best PF FA that we can afford.  Josh smith?

5.  Try to jettison any combo of Crawford, Bass, Terry, Wilcox, Melo and Lee, in that order for better backup SF, backup SG/PG and backup center.  

Next year rebuilding but competitive.  The year after, strengthen bench.   

New Starting 5:

C -   Cousins  / Garnett                                                                                                               PF - Josh Smith  / Sully                                                                                                              SF - Green                                                                                                                               SG - Bradley  / draft pick scorer (McCollum?)                                                                                        PG - Bledsoe  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

1.  Trade Pierce for either a low draft choice or emerging young talent.  In my scenario we trade Pierce for a PG like Bledsoe so we can...

2. Trade Rondo for a quality young big man (someone like Cousins).  We will not get a starting quality center in the draft. Period. Rondo is our only asset that will enable us to get a starting C and I would rather have a starting center and Bledsoe (or similiar talent) than Rondo without a center.

3.  Draft the best SG with the 16th pick.  We should end up with the 2nd or 3rd best in the country and an immediate starter.  Centers, PGs and SF will be the main focus of earlier picks. 

5.  Try to jettison any combo of Crawford, Bass, Terry, Wilcox, Melo and Lee, in that order for better backup SF, backup SG/PG and backup center.  

New Starting 5:

C -   Cousins  / Garnett                                                                                                               PF - Josh Smith  / Sully                                                                                                              SF - Green                                                                                                                               SG - Bradley  / draft pick scorer (McCollum?)                                                                                        PG - Bledsoe  

This is already the "Best Case" scenario (e.g. as no one would trade Cousins for an injured Rondo), and this team is IMO not close to a contender but probably already on the salary cap limit after the these players signed an extension.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregCelts. Show GregCelts's posts

You call teams like Detroit or New Orleans, who have too many young players, and you swap picks using Avery Bradley or Jeff Green.  With a top 7 pick, the Celts can get a great starting 2 or maybe a Center.  That is one way of getting a potential All-star.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

New Starting 5:

[/QUOTE D,ont forget.Doc does not like rookies or bigs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird-to-DJ. Show Bird-to-DJ's posts

Eldunker,

PP makes $15M next year meaning we'd need to take back circa $15M in salary (ot just PP for Bledsoe) because I don't believe the Clips can absorb the salary different, meaning we'd have no room for a JSmith type player on top of the trade.  Also, doubt Sac is trading Cousins for an inj RR.

Would I trade PP and RR for Beldsoe and Cousins - probably, but I think we'd also be trading a tempermental headcase for a bonafide mega headcase.  If you think that KG will mellow him, that assumes KG doesn't retire if we trade PP.  If KJ retires than maybe there is space for an upper tier FA, but I think the PP trade (meaning we take back $15M) keeps us too close to the cap to sign that caliber player... In that case, we're not realistically the team you have below...

Loking at mock drfats - I don't see an "immediate starter" at the 2 outsie the top-10.  Names in that range have included Godwin from Ky, Pope from Georgia an dHardaway from Michigan -- wouldn't call any of them an immediate starting 2 unless you are the Bobcats, and even then probably not...

Interested in where you think my thought process may have gotten off-track...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Gasthoerer's comment:

The C's drafted a PF and a C just last year. Unfortunately at this low seeds it is always a gamble (project, injury prone or immature). But it is not like Ainge never drafts Bigs.

Agree.  The only way the Celtics would be able to draft a better big man is to move up in the draft.   This would involve trading current players to another team for a higher pick. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to Iceman4's comment:

There are no shortcuts. The Celtic fans will have to wait at least 10 years.

Unless Lebron or Durant decides to sign with the Celts in the near future.

This would never happen but Durant is my favorite NBA player and it would be great to have him traded to the Celtics. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

If we dangle rondo this year, people will be suspicious that the c's have inside knowledge that he's not going to recover quickly/fully.  We won't get much for him.  Better to keep him at least part of next year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Yeah ... He can try to utilize the back-ended or poison pill contract to sign a RFA like Pekovic.

By using a modest salary the first two years and a jumbo salary the last two years of a contract, Danny can create more cap room in the next few years while our team salaries are high and load up when we have no commitments in year three and four.

Say he offers $8MM, $10MM, $15MM & $17MM for a 4 yr $50MM contract?

http://basketball.about.com/od/nba-cba-glossary/g/Poison-Pill-Contract.htm