Can Delonte succesfully replace R.R. as a starter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Can Delonte succesfully replace R.R. as a starter?

I know this is a stretch and going forward, who knows what you get from this guy...but I find it rather intriging that we can pick up basically the last f/a from last year that nobody wanted and have people calling for him to start in place of an all-star (no matter if its deserved or not).  We are really talking about Guitar Red!?  The Mo-Fo that played in Cleveland last year?!

Yes, apparently we are.  I always though picking him up was a no-brainer cuz he played well while here and did play well in the playoffs last year w/ Cleveland, but to think teams were that scared of him and for us to be that dependant tells me , we owe Danny another pat on the back and another reason to cut him some slack...cuz if he didnt land Shaq and Delonte, 2 players that are suddenly very vital to our success., where would we be?

I like West' ability to play tough "D", knock down the open shot and hustle for loose balls, that being said, he is a potato stick waiting to snap, and hits the floor too much for my liking...but WE NEED HIM, it seems...

Now, the Vultures were out and licking their chops after the 1st quarter of last nights game, seeing how the offense flowed w/out Rondo was good fodder for the feast of R.R, until the lead was given up again and the starters struggled to put this one away after being up 25.  So we cant blame Rondo for the team being tired, BUT I will say having Delonte in with the starters makes it less imperative for us to be a running team, because the halfcourt is more succesfull with a good shooter at the PG spot....So, while we all want Rondo to push the rock..guys like K.G. are sucking wind and would do good in a half court set with shooters all around....so will this experiment lead to more tampering, and possibly have Delonte play with the starters and have Rondo come off the bench to play with guys like Green who are better suited to run out on the break and get easy buckets...???  Interesting to me...cuz I dont believe Rondo sat because of a pinky that supposedly been bothering him all year, but he doesnt sit because of P.F??? Seems funny, so lets see what happens going forward....Rondo might be pissed but so what...Last I checked Doc was coach...and he needs to do whats best...and although I dont think we win w/out Rondo..he may be better suited to provide a spark to our bench...

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Can Delonte succesfully replace R.R. as a starter?

The problem he is hurt and may need surgery on his ankle.  Injury prone and a little unbalanced. Still I will take him as his heart is in the right place.  I am not sure about Rondo's at the moment.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

I think he can, well he has to until Rondo is back. Delonte does bring a shooting ability, and opposing defenses can not back off him 10 feet, so that is a positive.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I don't thinkwe should go down that road at this point. I would play West in more critical points of the game but not start him.

Rondo acts like he just lost his woman (Perk). I've never seen a guy go completely south just because a teammate got traded. He is really dissappointing me right now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

JayShizzle45, my Niz.....nothing.  Great post!  I think Delonte is a great short-term replacement and, long-term, someone who can play alot of minutes WITH the starters.

I attribute his not-so-great overall performance in Cleveland to being on the same team as Lebron James.  When a guy has the ball the majority of the time, it's hard to get into any kind of flow.  And after James, Mo Williams was the #2 ball hog for Cleveland so I don't think he was that bad in Cleveland.  Delonte is a very capable NBA guard.

Long-term, I believe he should be given increased minutes with the starters to give opponents a different look.  They can't fall off Delonte like they do Rondo because West can hit the shot.  I think that would free up space for everybody.

The one thing I was impressed with was Delonte "busting his butt" getting through and around screens and recovering to defend Ridenour.  That was good to see coming from the PG position ALL GAME.  He challenged every shot and made Ridenour earn everything he got.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Big fan of Delonte's game.  He is as tough as they come but due to his all out play he is injury prone.  He needs to be mostly healthy for the playoffs for the 2nd unit to succeed.  He can play the lion's share of the 1 for now, but he, like BBD, is most effective in short stints. 

Think about how much Rondo plays per game and how beat up he was getting taking the ball to the rim and hounding his man on D, fighting through picks.  He really needed a guy like West this year to take the pressure off of him.  I think the hitch in his game has much to do with Delonte being injured for so many games this year.    

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

For Shizzle My - *shut yo' mouth*

lol-

yeah, I also was impressed by his ability run the team...and instead of just running wild.,..he knows how to back things out if nothing was there.  We were into our offense much quicker and Delonte was taking the open look early as opposed to Rondo turning down open looks until the end of the clock and forcing a bad shot.  I still think the team has issues w/out Rondo as evidence from the 25 pt blown lead, but I dont worry as much, cuz I believe guys are just tired.  If we can just get Doc to give more minutes to Green to rest K.G.( i dont worry as much for Paul and Ray), and we can survive a few more games without Rondo..i would say we would be pretty set in a couple weeks if we get JON this week and Shaq(fingers crossed) next week, things might round into shape...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

DWest can start, hes good enough... hes not gonna do all the stuff Rondo can but he contributes his own skills.. decent shooter, good defender thats not picked off so easily .. more conservative player but can make the big play.. also will hit FT's.

With the rest of the talent of the starters, DWEst should do well as a starter.. I think we can win with him..

If Rondo started playing well again, it would be a great shot in the arm to the team. Question is his moodiness or whatever you call it brings into question his reliability.. Can he be trusted anymore not to meltdown over who knows what

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donquique. Show donquique's posts

Delonte can start. However, Rondo is a better player when he is on. At the beginning of the season Rondo was playing like an MVP candidate.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Health, Health and more Health. The man can run. He can be a starter. I'D prefer him as a backup spark plug that ignites the bench. I hope he stays healthy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Delonte is a fine player, but we are not going to win the title with him. With Rondo we have a chance.