Can the C's risk losing Baby in a deal for Rudy Fernandez?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

Re: Can the C's risk losing Baby in a deal for Rudy Fernandez?

If Big Baby is traded for that bust Rudy Fernandez, Danny Ainge deserves to be FIRED.

I'm sure the ownership would explore that possibility without question, if that deal was executed.

I just don't get this love/lust for Rudy Fernandez... It was proven he couldn't be a factor in Portland, who is a young team on the rise.

Why would we want this guy on the Celtics??

NEXT!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

He is stuck behind Brandon Roy and typecast as the long range shooter in Portland.  Fernandez can be more than that.  The C's could match up capwise and rosterwise by trading Lafayette and Gaffney for Fernadez plus whatever pick(s) may be holding it up.  This puts Wafer on the fringe of the roster, but Fernandez is better than he is...It sort of looks like Wafer is the long range shooter for the C's though.

BBD will most likely not be part of a deal for Fernandez. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

Fernandez had a chance to shine, but because he couldn't throw it in the ocean, HE LOST PLAYING TIME.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

I love BBD. Some guys canot do it in the clutch or when their team needs them to respond. BBD does! He's done it on the biggest stage.......I'm not sure how much more upside he has though. He can & will be a starter @ some point, but will he consistantly contribute? IDK?......Fernandez is a unique talent. Very athletic, sees the floor well, he kind of does it all. & he has the potential (if you ask me to average 18 7 & 5) to blossom into a star. I can see why Ainge is high on him.

This one is a risky move. But i do think that Fernandez has a higher ceiling than BBD.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In Response to Re: Can the C's risk losing Baby in a deal for Rudy Fernandez?:
    [QUOTE]I love BBD. Some guys canot do it in the clutch or when their team needs them to respond. BBD does! He's done it on the biggest stage.......I'm not sure how much more upside he has though. He can & will be a starter @ some point, but will he consistantly contribute? IDK?......Fernandez is a unique talent. Very athletic, sees the floor well, he kind of does it all. & he has the potential (if you ask me to average 18 7 & 5) to blossom into a star. I can see why Ainge is high on him. This one is a risky move. But i do think that Fernandez has a higher ceiling than BBD.....
    Posted by Red-Doc-Redemption[/QUOTE]

Good forethought Red ... I can see throwing BBD in with "A Pick" and/or Wafer along with Sheed for a multi-player deal even with a third team involved (Cleveland?) but no reason to trade him heads up for Rudy and filler or a PTE if Portland is under the cap. They just aren't in a position to demand too much in this situation.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Rudy is not that good and certainly not worth giving up Davis.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticsTillTheCasketDrops. Show CelticsTillTheCasketDrops's posts

noway pal i wouldn't give up UnoUno for no one right about now are you kidding me?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lbrad389. Show lbrad389's posts

[QUOTE]I don't mean to keep beating the same horse, but if we do trade Big Baby then we definitely need to bring in Antoine Walker for a look. Who are the best 3 FA PF's available?  IMO it's down to Toine, Anthony Tolliver (who is likely to sign with either Golden State or Minnesota) and Louis Amundson.  (Sorry Brian Scalabrine and Mikki Moore, but I'm not including you in this group.  You may have been on an NBA roster last season but that doesn't automatically make you guys superior options)...And while Toine's foibles are well documented, the fact remains that he provides a certain versatility as well as experience/durability/reliability (5 seasons of playing a full 82 games which no current Celtic can match... heck, Jermaine O'Neal has never even had ONE season of playing a full 82) that few others can top.  And while the topic of a Toine reunion is germane to this thread since we are talking about losing a PF, I don't mean to hijack it further... so if anyone wants to sound off or vote on the Toine issue, be sure to head over to the "BRING BACK TOINE" thread. 
    Posted by toineson[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lbrad389. Show lbrad389's posts

[QUOTE]I don't mean to keep beating the same horse, but if we do trade Big Baby then we definitely need to bring in Antoine Walker for a look. Who are the best 3 FA PF's available?  IMO it's down to Toine, Anthony Tolliver (who is likely to sign with either Golden State or Minnesota) and Louis Amundson.  (Sorry Brian Scalabrine and Mikki Moore, but I'm not including you in this group.  You may have been on an NBA roster last season but that doesn't automatically make you guys superior options)...And while Toine's foibles are well documented, the fact remains that he provides a certain versatility as well as experience/durability/reliability (5 seasons of playing a full 82 games which no current Celtic can match... heck, Jermaine O'Neal has never even had ONE season of playing a full 82) that few others can top.  And while the topic of a Toine reunion is germane to this thread since we are talking about losing a PF, I don't mean to hijack it further... so if anyone wants to sound off or vote on the Toine issue, be sure to head over to the "BRING BACK TOINE" thread. 
    Posted by toineson[/QUOTE]

Dude!!!!....... Toine is done and has been for some 5 years. Why do you keep bringing him up? No one in the leage is interested in signing him...NO ONE. Look, if you want to marry the guy go ahead...just leave the rest of us out of your courtship.

LB 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can the C's risk losing Baby in a deal for Rudy Fernandez? : For the last 2 years Davis has been doing a good job backing up KG. Trading him will only disrupt the continuity of the 2nd unit. The Celtics just need to add a backup Center, not trade the backup PF for a backup C.  Von Wafer can't be traded for 3 months. Right now all the Celtics have is Sheed's contract and a pick.  The Von Wafer signing is also an indication that Fernandez is not going to Boston. 
    Posted by Fierce34[/QUOTE]

First off you advocated a S&T for J Howard that involved that very same problem - the C's couldn't get him until 12/15, you forget that?

What's wrong with adding a backup center and swingman that will grow with the C's for the next three years on the cheap if it's doable. Beats having Daniels even if he does come through this year cause then he wants $5m next year as a FA.

Once you've obtained another legit C, whether from Portland with Rudy or Shaq via a three team deal with the Cavs then you have the luxury of playing JON as PF and C and BBD isn't so important. JON wanted to be the starting center and he will be. Then when KG needs a blow or is in foul trouble Shaq comes in at C and JON moves to PF. When Perk comes back he and Shaq man the C and JON backs KG and helps out at C as needed.

You could also trade Daniels and or Wafer at that point for another PF ... or pick one up after teams make their final cut with the VM ... Have you figured out yet how many of those VM's a team gets yet? Oh, and what happened to that Tolliver signing? Thought you said he was gone ... didn't he play for Portland last year too? He'd make a nice PF to replace BBD if it were to come to a multi-player/team deal.

Check the numbers:

A) Shaq (6.3m), Rudy (1.2m) & Tolliver (1.5m) to C's for Sheed (6.3m), BBD (3m) #1 Pick

B) Sheed (6.3m), Bayless (2.3m) & Przybilla (7.4m) to Cavs for Shaq (6.3m) & Mo Williams (9.3m)

C) Mo Will (9.3m), BBD (3m) & #1 pick to Portland for Przy (7.4m), Tolliver (1.5), Bayless (2.3m) & Rudy (1.2m)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Found this on this mornings David Aldridge's Morning Notes

He ranks teams toward the bottom of the column and has a little note on each team - this is his memo on The C's and Blazers:

#2) Boston: Von Wafer is going to help the Celtics next season.

#11) Portland: Blazers stlll likely to deal Rudy Fernandez to either Celtics or Bulls.

Odd, no? Someone thinks the C's are still interested in Rudy despite picking up Wafer ...

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

A) Shaq (6.3m), Rudy (1.2m) & Tolliver (1.5m) to C's for Sheed (6.3m), BBD (3m) #1 Pick

B) Sheed (6.3m), Bayless (2.3m) & Przybilla (7.4m) to Cavs for Shaq (6.3m) & Mo Williams (9.3m)

C) Mo Will (9.3m), BBD (3m) & #1 pick to Portland for Przy (7.4m), Tolliver (1.5), Bayless (2.3m) & Rudy (1.2m)

Why would the Blazers want Mo Williams when they have Andre Miller. And Tolliver is not the property of the Blazers so there's no way what you just proposed is a 3-way deal.

Before you come up with trade scenarios I think you should also consider if the other teams involved would benefit from the trade. Trades are suppose to help all parties involved, not just the Celtics. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]IMHO Louis Amundson would be a perfectly adequate replacement for Davis.
    Posted by jm02130[/QUOTE]

that's a hoot.  sweet lou shoots from the outside?  and he can D up big 5's like shaq, duncan, bynum, howard?  no he can't.  what davis can do, with his 300 and whatever pounds worth of himself is body big guys OUT of the lanelike nobody else who's been on the celts for a long time. 

not even vitaly potato was as strong as davis is.  so if you think that lou amundson, who is a really nice hustle player, is going to do that, you're nuts.  amundson is a lot closer to a physically enhanced scal than glen davis.

and all o' you folks who want to wad up davis into any old deal you can think of- aparently you don't recognize that he is one of the biggest, most nimble and BEST help defenders in the league.  that's right, boys and girls, it's an off the stat sheet thing that davis does and he has preserved and/or turned around a LOT of games for us. 

as good a hustle player as amundson is, he doesn't evoke the same gag reflex in the opposing player as suddenly seeing a wooly mammoth like davis where he isn't supposed to be.  amundson has some good help D skills in his tool bag, but not as good as davis.

so what i can see is that we'd be trading down in almost every major category to settle for an amundson over what we have no in davis.  it would be  areally dumb move.  not even really fun to think about, if you think about it. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]A) Shaq (6.3m), Rudy (1.2m) & Tolliver (1.5m) to C's for Sheed (6.3m), BBD (3m) #1 Pick B) Sheed (6.3m), Bayless (2.3m) & Przybilla (7.4m) to Cavs for Shaq (6.3m) & Mo Williams (9.3m) C) Mo Will (9.3m), BBD (3m) & #1 pick to Portland for Przy (7.4m), Tolliver (1.5), Bayless (2.3m) & Rudy (1.2m) Why would the Blazers want Mo Williams when they have Andre Miller. And Tolliver is not the property of the Blazers so there's no way what you just proposed is a 3-way deal. Before you come up with trade scenarios I think you should also consider if the other teams involved would benefit from the trade. Trades are suppose to help all parties involved, not just the Celtics. 
    Posted by ConnectingRod[/QUOTE]

Thought Miller left as a FA ... Tolliver is an UFA and played for them before doing 10 dayers with GS. Think Portland may have non-bird rts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can the C's risk losing Baby in a deal for Rudy Fernandez? : I hope you would admit to being wrong once A,B, or C does not become a reality. 

Where did I say they would happen or make predictions - I just posted it as a feasible three team trade concept ...

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can the C's risk losing Baby in a deal for Rudy Fernandez? : I suggest you do research first before you make bold predictions.  http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AoZiwTnyPq9YmSgvur6oudK8vLYF?slug=ys-nbafreeagenttracker2010#nbaC Tolliver only played 2 games for the Blazers last year. He finished the season with the Warriors. 

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16181

Listed as UFA under PF's .... ???

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can the C's risk losing Baby in a deal for Rudy Fernandez? : How can it be feasible when Tolliver is not even the property of the Blazers. 

GS only had him under 10 day contracts - don't think they have any rts though Portland may not either so he'd be an UFA out of the NBADL ... so maybe the only way to sign him is as a FA and S&T can't be done by either.

25. This post has been removed.