Case for/against Jeff Green?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

Case for/against Jeff Green?

Can someone please tell me what makes this guy so valuable? I don't see what impact this guy had ...to make him a "must keep".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Re: Case for/against Jeff Green?

He's a very very good SF. He's a very very poor PF.

If you're trying to play him at PF you aren't going to get what you expect. I kept saying that when we signed him but Doc saw Posey in him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Jeff gain softness, Glen lost of toughness.  Perk lost of toughness , Kistric softness gain.  Davis is a big loss unless we get a stud to replace and I got news for you, getting a player to replace Geln will not be EASY.  Mabey we should have kept Tibbs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrrapin. Show terrrapin's posts

The guy hits threes and posts up well........

He can get up and down the court with Rondo. Maybe the only one on the Celtics roster besides Delonte. His defense will get better and played reasonably well against LeBron. Note, LeBron's biggest shots were on Pierce. He is definitely a keeper.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: The guy hits threes and posts up well........

In Response to The guy hits threes and posts up well........:
    [QUOTE]He can get up and down the court with Rondo. Maybe the only one on the Celtics roster besides Delonte. His defense will get better and played reasonably well against LeBron. Note, LeBron's biggest shots were on Pierce. He is definitely a keeper.
    Posted by terrrapin[/QUOTE]

Good point.  Green had to go against the 2 best wing players in the league this year in the playoffs with Melo and Lebron....I think he faired pretty well for a guy who played PF all year before the trade.  He was asked to do too much too early but with a training camp and a starting nod , this kid will impress..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

must keep. finally showed toughness and passion in front of the Boston crowd. low low 20's, tremendous upside. no question we need to sign him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Case for/against Jeff Green?:
    [QUOTE]Can someone please tell me what makes this guy so valuable? I don't see what impact this guy had ...to make him a "must keep".
    Posted by sday4x4[/QUOTE]

Give him some summer ball, a training camp, and a preseason and he is um the best young player on the team.......  that ought to do it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

He really bought into the defensive system he showed some good sihns gaurding lebron he can shoot the ball very quick a mismatch nightmare when he plays the 3.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donquique. Show donquique's posts

I agree. not a big fan of him, But to save face they need to resign Green. They have no choice, otherwise they not have anything to show for the Perkins trade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Case for/against Jeff Green?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Case for/against Jeff Green? : Give him some summer ball, a training camp, and a preseason and he is um the best young player on the team.......  that ought to do it.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

Agree that Green will be even better next season.  It would be a mistake if the Celtics don't resign him. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Agree with Dudder.  Give the guy a summer and a full preseason camp and he'll be a better defensive player.  Plays the SF well and can sub at PF for short periods like BBD subs at Center for short periods.  He's fast, athletic, and good bball IQ. He is fast enough to stay with the great small forwards and he is good enough to give other SF players trouble.  Imagine him, Rondo, and Delonte on fast breaks together!

Keep him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Case for/against Jeff Green? : Give him some summer ball, a training camp, and a preseason and he is um the best young player on the team.......  that ought to do it.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

Hope they play him at the 3 not the 4

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Agree with Dudder.  Give the guy a summer and a full preseason camp and he'll be a better defensive player.  Plays the SF well and can sub at PF for short periods like BBD subs at Center for short periods.  He's fast, athletic, and good bball IQ. He is fast enough to stay with the great small forwards and he is good enough to give other SF players trouble.  Imagine him, Rondo, and Delonte on fast breaks together! Keep him.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

I like that he can take guys off the bounce, face up, make his freebies, and has the potential to be a very good defender and rebounder.  He doesn't appear to be the toughest guy on the planet but I like skill better than being an a hole like Perk, no skill but intimidating and then watching most of the game because of foul trouble and really in the long run not initimidating anyone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

[QUOTE]Agree with Dudder.  Give the guy a summer and a full preseason camp and he'll be a better defensive player.  Plays the SF well and can sub at PF for short periods like BBD subs at Center for short periods.  He's fast, athletic, and good bball IQ. He is fast enough to stay with the great small forwards and he is good enough to give other SF players trouble.  Imagine him, Rondo, and Delonte on fast breaks together! Keep him.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

I am liking the sound of that!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bramrok. Show bramrok's posts

he scks now but you have to hope he improves; still young and needs to learn
    the system

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigJoedaddyBoston. Show BigJoedaddyBoston's posts

For:

Young, Quick , good offensive talent, only a short time to learn with the C's

Against:

Butter fingers (can't seem to catch the ball consistently), sporadic , inconsistent, looks lost out there a lot of the times. Aloof.  DOes not have a killer instinct!

Someone made a good point  on a post I started saying to trade him.  They were saying to be patient with him so we don't let him go like chauncy or Joe Johnson.  Interesting point.  I hope I am wrong about him and that he becomes a star.  They will keep him to save face from the Perk trade unless they can get a steal for him

Rondo and big baby for Chris Paul!!!!  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

In Response to Case for/against Jeff Green?:
    [QUOTE]Can someone please tell me what makes this guy so valuable? I don't see what impact this guy had ...to make him a "must keep".
    Posted by sday4x4[/QUOTE]

Too small a sample size to make definitive judgment.  I do remember taking note of him when the Thunder played against us, and thought he was the second best player on that team (at least on those nights). Looked like a good find to replace Marquis, but the shock of the transition was too much at once. Let's let him settle in and see what he does.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

Still very young at 24, has the chance to learn from P, can beat anyone in the nba in the open court, and showed improved d towards the end of the playoffs. He didn't know the system, so I expect him to come in next season more prepared. If we can get some sets in which he's the featured scorer, he could be an incredible asset going forward.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

He's an small forward both offensively and defensively. I agree with the other posts that he's not a pf in most cases. The only exception of using Green effectively as a pf is when the other teams go small.  I would resign him as long as the price isn't too high. I'd go as high as 8 to 9 million per for Green.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

i agree with most of the posts. he's potentially the best young player on the team. a 1-2-3 of rondo-bradley-green in a year or two might not be that bad. we need front court players now. big guys. 4s and 5s. makes me wonder more about trading harangody and erdin than about trading perk. we moved 2 decent looking young guys with potential to make room for...what exactly? troy murphy? geez.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PauGasolSmells143. Show PauGasolSmells143's posts

The fact is, as many have pointed out, Celts don't have a choice but to sign him.  Otherwise we gave up Perkins for nothing (Though keep in mind we have the Clippers 1st Round Pick next year). 

I think it is most definitely unfair to judge Green to harshly, considering no one performs well after a mid-season trade and the shot the trade took to our core chemistry made even our stars look lost. 

I expect, after a full offseason, Jeff Green will come back with a much more defined role and will look a lot better.  Physically, he is a stuf with a lot of offensive skills.

Problem is, he's a finesse guy not a scrappy guy, and in Boston we love scrappers.  Plus, he is being asked to fill the void in our hearts left by Perk. It think if we put all this aside, and keep our eyes open, Jeff Green will make himself worth it over the next couple years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]For: Young, Quick , good offensive talent, only a short time to learn with the C's Against: Butter fingers (can't seem to catch the ball consistently), sporadic , inconsistent, looks lost out there a lot of the times. Aloof.  DOes not have a killer instinct! Someone made a good point  on a post I started saying to trade him.  They were saying to be patient with him so we don't let him go like chauncy or Joe Johnson.  Interesting point.  I hope I am wrong about him and that he becomes a star.  They will keep him to save face from the Perk trade unless they can get a steal for him Rondo and big baby for Chris Paul!!!!  
    Posted by BigJoedaddyBoston[/QUOTE]

Totally unfair assessment. He joined the team midseason, when there is little to no practice time to get acclimated, and was asked to play at least 3 different spots while guarding, at times, the best player on the other team. It's rare for a player to get traded to a good team, especially one with a core that'd been together for a while, and figure out how to fit in. Of COURSE he looks lost and aloof at times, we were watching him do in real games what he needed to learn on the practice court...which will happen next year.

As for saying he doesn't have a killer instinct...I have no idea how you can even go there. Does he not play with intensity? He wouldn't have the ball in his hands with a chance to win it anyway, so how can you judge that? That's a completely objective statement that I doubt you can back up in any way, shape or form.

He;s a very good, young, skilled player. Ainge DRAFTED this guy and dealt him in the Allen deal, he knew what he was getting back for Perkins. I'm willing to bet Ainge had plenty of other offers for the big man (who was NOT signing here), and he CHOSE Green over others.

Is Nazr Mohammed a FA?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Also, I'd like either Krstic or Murphy to come back, on short money, and give them a training camp to see what they can do.

I have no idea what happened in NJ, but Murphy has been a solid 10/10 guy his whole career until getting hurt in preseason, then never getting on the floor. Wasn't Jim OBrien the coach down there? Didn't he get canned? Odd situation, the guy signs a big FA contract and, seemingly, is never even given a chance to play. Maybe he got his money and quit, maybe he and the coach hated each other...I have no clue. But the history is there enough for me to want a true look at this guy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]Also, I'd like either Krstic or Murphy to come back, on short money, and give them a training camp to see what they can do. I have no idea what happened in NJ, but Murphy has been a solid 10/10 guy his whole career until getting hurt in preseason, then never getting on the floor. Wasn't Jim OBrien the coach down there? Didn't he get canned? Odd situation, the guy signs a big FA contract and, seemingly, is never even given a chance to play. Maybe he got his money and quit, maybe he and the coach hated each other...I have no clue. But the history is there enough for me to want a true look at this guy.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]
    Murphy did not sign in NJ as free agent. He was part of a 4 team trade that allowed the Pacers to dump his salary.
    In NJ, he was beaten out of minutes by Humphries and the Nets need to develop  Favors.