Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Re: Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs.

In Response to Re: Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs. : Shaq was a poor FT shooter, true. But he's a Center. It is common among bigs to have a hard time shooting FTs. This season the starting Centers for the east and west, DH and Bynum, are poor FT shooters. How many starting PGs, with rings besides Rondo, you know of that are poor FT shooters? 
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Rondo is a poor free throw shooter. No doubt, but if he is better it is no guarantee of anything. Cp3, Nash, Williams, None of them have titles either.  Rondo is not going to carry a team to a title. He isn't michael Jordan, but Scottie Pippon never carried a team to a title either and I don't think the bulls would have been well served to trade him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not equating your posts to those of Pud or Dudder. I think wanting a player like Gasol, is a valid point of view and rebounding and half court offense are a weakness for us, I see your thinking, but I'm not sure I'd do it. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Danny's always wanted a running showtime version of Celtics.  Rondo's the guy for it.  Free throws or not, he still can dominate games.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

In Response to Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs.:
    [QUOTE]Interesting  post here: http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/2/13/2794323/rondo-is-a-square-peg-thriving-in-a-round-hole-usually#storyjump Have had this thought more than a few times myself, hence this discussion. Most of the arguments concerning Rondo revolve around whether to trade him or keep him.  Constructing trades involving him are relatively easy and straignt forward.  They address getting our long sought after bigman and some sort of PG to compensate for Rondo's absence. The alternative is not so easy, but for some  of us, more interesting. If DA gambles on Rondo's potential and decides to rebuild the team around Rondo's game, what would he try and do and who would he go after? Ideally, we would have a very very fast team.  Athletic wing men who could run and grab boards.  Passing that could rival anything the 80's had to often Showtime, but this time  in Boston? Maybe, just maybe, this is what Rondo needs.  The type of team that best exploits his talents.  I can remember thinking PP was a bit of a headcase for a number of years,  but that urge to act out got sublimated once he was surrounded by the right sort of talent that pushed his desire to win to the front. Anyway, Jeff said it much better than I have.  Click on the link, read the article, and pro or con, post your opinion.
    Posted by breaktime[/QUOTE]

This sounds a lot to me like the team we tried to build in the early 2000's.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

this might be the best article on Rondo ive read in awhile, everything that he says is true (except his jumper is a little better than people give him credit for)

ive been saying "surround him with horses" for awhile now. thats his game. thats what he does. and this is the time to get those pieces to complement him.

people like fierce say running teams dont win championships, but i can also say there hasnt been many point guards that are like Rondo. he is unique. he CANT shoot free throws. well, actually, when he has attempted a high percentage of ft he has made a high percentage. when he shoots 2-4, he dips to about 50%. that can be improved. surround him with Jeff Greens, OJ Mayos, Chris Wilcox's, and JJJ's before we decide he has reached his ceiling. no one can say that bc we havent seen him with a team that fits his game.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fugot. Show fugot's posts

rondo,bradley/ moore,?/pierce, green/ jjj,bass, / ?wilcox thats our core for next 2-3 years.. kg may or may not come back at a reduced ratefor 2 more years. he doesn't need the cash, but a 2nd ring is enticing for him i have to believe-unfinished business. Can you imagine kg coming off the bench..and pierce will resign for 2 years at a reduced rate as well, so he can retire a celtic.

so that leaves a center who can run and defend! and a scorer who can run and get his own shot as well as defend.  steima will be around because he will be a better defender and will play for cheap.    

that's how I see it..

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs.:
    [QUOTE]Interesting  post here: http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/2/13/2794323/rondo-is-a-square-peg-thriving-in-a-round-hole-usually#storyjump Have had this thought more than a few times myself, hence this discussion. Most of the arguments concerning Rondo revolve around whether to trade him or keep him.  Constructing trades involving him are relatively easy and straignt forward.  They address getting our long sought after bigman and some sort of PG to compensate for Rondo's absence. The alternative is not so easy, but for some  of us, more interesting. If DA gambles on Rondo's potential and decides to rebuild the team around Rondo's game, what would he try and do and who would he go after? Ideally, we would have a very very fast team.  Athletic wing men who could run and grab boards.  Passing that could rival anything the 80's had to often Showtime, but this time  in Boston? Maybe, just maybe, this is what Rondo needs.  The type of team that best exploits his talents.  I can remember thinking PP was a bit of a headcase for a number of years,  but that urge to act out got sublimated once he was surrounded by the right sort of talent that pushed his desire to win to the front. Anyway, Jeff said it much better than I have.  Click on the link, read the article, and pro or con, post your opinion.

What if you were a teacher and had 30 students... of those 30 students that take 6 classes per day, 10 get As or Bs in all 6 classes but you have one student that gets 4 As or Bs and 2 Fs.... would you be trying to build a great team around him?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs. : What if you were a teacher and had 30 students... of those 30 students that take 6 classes per day, 10 get As or Bs in all 6 classes but you have one student that gets 4 As or Bs and 2 Fs.... would you be trying to build a great team around him?
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]
    I'd like to tweak your analogy a bit, as I believe it's slightly  flawed.
    I'm a teacher and I have 30 students (np)
    Everybody takes 6 classes a day (np)
    10 students get A's or B's in all 6 classes (the students that arent' Rondo)
    and one student gets 4 A's or B's and 2 F's (Rondo).
    Do I build my great team around him?
    The last part of your analogy is where I think you're not all that accurate.
    The students are players and their grades are their skills, correct?
    And I'm to pick a student I want to build a team around.

The team (Celtics) doesn't have so many players that are skilled in all aspects of the game.  Currently, maybe just 2 or 3 (KG, PP, and Peaches).  Bass and RA both get bad grades in defense, RA also gets a F in ballhandling.  And those 2 players are both kinda old to still be in school, if you catch my drift.  Building a team around them isn't going to  work.  It did in the past,  but we're not there  anymore. (I threw that in just so we could agree on something)
    Build a team around Peaches?  More B's than A's.  Great to have on the team, but not someone you want to lead it.
    So barring a student transferring from another school (trades or the draft), this leaves us with Rondo.
    While Rondo's shooting skills (perimeter and free throws only, gotta give him F's there) are still deficient, the skills he excells in (ball handling, passing, pushing the ball, driving to the hoop) are definitely A's.  Sometimes A+'s.  Rebounding and defense.  Solid B's.  With those skills, and his age, I would be lax  as teacher if I wasn't asking myself, how far can this kid go.
    Using your analogy, Rondo is the person to pick.  The question becomes more of  who do we get to work with him, and less about those areas he's deficient in.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fields4. Show Fields4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs. : I'd like to tweak your analogy a bit, as I believe it's slightly  flawed. I'm a teacher and I have 30 students (np) Everybody takes 6 classes a day (np) 10 students get A's or B's in all 6 classes (the students that arent' Rondo) and one student gets 4 A's or B's and 2 F's (Rondo). Do I build my great team around him? The last part of your analogy is where I think you're not all that accurate. The students are players and their grades are their skills, correct? And I'm to pick a student I want to build a team around. The team (Celtics) doesn't have so many players that are skilled in all aspects of the game.  Currently, maybe just 2 or 3 (KG, PP, and Peaches).  Bass and RA both get bad grades in defense, RA also gets a F in ballhandling.  And those 2 players are both kinda old to still be in school, if you catch my drift.  Building a team around them isn't going to  work.  It did in the past,  but we're not there  anymore. (I threw that in just so we could agree on something) Build a team around Peaches?  More B's than A's.  Great to have on the team, but not someone you want to lead it. So barring a student transferring from another school (trades or the draft), this leaves us with Rondo. While Rondo's shooting skills (perimeter and free throws only, gotta give him F's there) are still deficient, the skills he excells in (ball handling, passing, pushing the ball, driving to the hoop) are definitely A's.  Sometimes A+'s.  Rebounding and defense.  Solid B's.  With those skills, and his age, I would be lax  as teacher if I wasn't asking myself, how far can this kid go. Using your analogy, Rondo is the person to pick.  The question becomes more of  who do we get to work with him, and less about those areas he's deficient in.

Wow, great analogy!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]Don't forget to mention Rondo is not clutch. In the 4th qtr. of games he usually disappears. Rondo gets an F when it comes to clutch shooting.
    Fiercest;
    If I had included you in my analogy, you would be Mr. Strickland from BTTF.
    Slackers!!! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs. : Fiercest; If I had included you in my analogy, you would be Mr. Strickland from BTTF. Slackers!!!  
    With  apologies to Dudder (actually it's his analogy).

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs. : What if you were a teacher and had 30 students... of those 30 students that take 6 classes per day, 10 get As or Bs in all 6 classes but you have one student that gets 4 As or Bs and 2 Fs.... would you be trying to build a great team around him?
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

What kind of team? A debate team or a roundball team ... I'll bet the kid with the 2 Fs is an athlete .... I'll take a risk ala Fierce and go with the dumb guy!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs. : Rondo is usually slacking in the 4th qtr.
    Nice bowtie, Fiercest

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs. : Nice bowtie, Fiercest

Nice photo! 

LOL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from datruthpp34. Show datruthpp34's posts

If rondo dominate the scoreboard we will lose but if pierce will score 27 or more points is a sure win. I mean rondo is good but i think he is handling the ball way too much that pierce can't get in a rythm,.I'd would rather run the offense thru pierce cuz it was sucessfull ,we won like 9 out of 10 when pierce is our leading scorer. And I think C's were a better team without RR and RA just saying.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

[QUOTE]If rondo dominate the scoreboard we will lose but if pierce will score 27 or more points is a sure win. I mean rondo is good but i think he is handling the ball way too much that pierce can't get in a rythm,.I'd would rather run the offense thru pierce cuz it was sucessfull ,we won like 9 out of 10 when pierce is our leading scorer. And I think C's were a better team without RR and RA just saying.
    Posted by datruthpp34[/QUOTE]

LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from datruthpp34. Show datruthpp34's posts

9 out of 10 Pierce oprating the offence !!yes!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

I am curious as to how much more Rondo can improve or has he reached his peak

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The only trade including Rondo that made sense to me was for Chris Paul.  Every other trade I've heard with his name included makes no sense.  If Deron Williams hits FA and he's a taget for the Celtics, then I'd trade Rondo.  

I too would like to see the Celtics surround Rondo with some guys who can run the floor.  Whether they keep Ray and KG in reduced roles after this year isn't as important to me as getting a FA or two who can make this team competitive with Miami and Chicago. 

This team is 1-2 All-Star caliber players away from being in the discussion in the east again.  As it stands, this team has no shot.      

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]The only trade including Rondo that made sense to me was for Chris Paul.  Every other trade I've heard with his name included makes no sense.  If Deron Williams hits FA and he's a taget for the Celtics, then I'd trade Rondo.   I too would like to see the Celtics surround Rondo with some guys who can run the floor.  Whether they keep Ray and KG in reduced roles after this year isn't as important to me as getting a FA or two who can make this team competitive with Miami and Chicago.  This team is 1-2 All-Star caliber players away from being in the discussion in the east again.  As it stands, this team has no shot.      
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about trading Rondo.  Many of the trade scenarios that involve Rondo that have been mentioned don't make the Celtics a better team.  Next season should be much different considering the cap space the Celtics will have.