Celtic Dominance

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Celtic Dominance

since the threads continue and the arguments rage on, I thought I'd put out a small capsule on why the Celtics are the superior franchise when compared to the Lakers...

All Time Records

at first glance the nod would seem to go to the Lakers, who have the most victories all time (3125 and a .620 winning percentage)....the Celtics are second with 3067 wins (.595 percentage)....but then compare the records head to head....the Celtics have won 153 of the 276 contests against the Lakers...that's a winning percentage of .554 compared to the Lakers .445

Finals Records

the Lakers have been to the most Finals in league history (31 compared to Boston's 21 appearances)......since they come from different conferences it is difficult to get a read on the strength of conference and schedule...so let's take a look at how each team has fared...

the Lakers have a record of 16-15 (.516 winning percentage)....since moving to Los Angeles they are 11-14 (.440)

the Celtics are 17-4 (809 winning percentage)

when playing any team not named the Boston Celtics, the Lakers are 13-6 (.684 winning percentage).............however, when facing the Celtics they are a dismal 3-9.......the Celtics have historically dominated the Lakers with a winning percentage of .750 vs .250

Simply put, be it regular season or head to head for the league championship, the Celtics have been the dominant franchise...

Historical Significance

the Celtics were the first team to bring in a black player (Chuck Cooper in 1950)

Red Auerbach was the first coach to field an all black starting five

Bill Russell was the first African American head coach in American team sports' history....the NBA Final's MVP award was named after him in 2009

I believe that the Celtics have the most Hall of Fame players in league history

Red Auerbach has the most championships among NBA coaches who won titles for only one franchise (9)....Pat Riley and Phil Jackson combined to win 9 titles with the Lakers....and consider that Red stepped down at the young age of 49....the Coach of the Year award was named the Red Auerbach trophy in 1967...Red is credited as having developed the concept of the "Sixth Man"....he also acted as chief scout and virtually built the Celtic dynasty single handedly ....he went on to become the GM and, later, President of the Celtics...

In ranking these two franchises, and adding up these accomplishments, especially Boston's dominance head to head, one would have to give the overall nod to the Celtics as the league's greatest franchise...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

Re: Celtic Dominance

fantastic post Duke4. Nice to be reminded this is a Celtic Forum.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronnie0729. Show ronnie0729's posts

Sweet

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

yes, this is a Celtic forum, so I put that out there for some of the younger fans who might not be in tune with our history....the Lakers are clearly a close second but, even if (and when) they tie our record of 17 titles, they will have to be ranked behind us when comparing the teams head to head.... when the argument is which franchise is to be ranked #1, this is usually the tie breaker....we have many great Laker fans that post intelligent opinions in this forum, some of whom I have met and consider friends...the trolls seem to be younger (and/or "front runners") who similarly probably lack an historic viewpoint....just doing my best to preserve the integrity of the discussion

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

Take a deep breath and exhale as you blow the dust off when reading about Boston's history and successes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Please be assured Duke4 that should I need these statistical records to again remind blowheart obnoxious Laker trolls I have copyed and pasted them in a folder and should I use them again in another post, rather than blatantly plagiaizing your post, I will identify you as the author.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

the Celts lose game 7 of this year's ECF on the road.....meanwhile in the last two seasons the Lakers have been embarrassed by going 1-8 in their season ending series' losses.....imagine if KG hadn't gone down for the season when the Celts were dominating the league again in 2008/09...?  .....this has been a great five year run and Danny just reloaded and made the team younger almost overnight....nice..!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In another discussion, a Laker fan said there are many more Laker fans than Celtic fans and the main reason is that that we have only won one(1) title in 25 years.  Hmmm, to me that would mean that since LA has more recent titles, the fans are much more "fair weather" fans rather than, perhaps, sticking with a team irrespective of its performance.

Regarding our 1 title in 25 years, ALL of our titles are in Boston while the Lakers claim 5 from Minneapolis from 1949-1952 and their other 11 from 1972-2010 in tinsel town.

Laker NBA Championships (16)    
    1949 1950 1952 1953 1954 1972 1980 1982 1985 1987 1988 2000 2001 2002 2009 2010

Ah, yes, head to head 12  NBA finals...Boston 9-Lakers 3

Year    Winner    Series
    1959    Boston Celtics    4–0
    1962    Boston Celtics    4–3
    1963    Boston Celtics    4–2
    1965    Boston Celtics    4–1
    1966    Boston Celtics    4–3
    1968    Boston Celtics    4–3
    1969    Boston Celtics    4–3
    1984    Boston Celtics    4–3
    1985    Los Angeles Lakers    4–2
    1987    Los Angeles Lakers    4–2
    2008    Boston Celtics    4–2
    2010    Los Angeles Lakers    4–3

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lakerstroll. Show Lakerstroll's posts

Dukee, it's all about rings, rings, rings. You are merely preparing yourself for the inevitable when the Lakers SURPASS the Celtics, not just tie. You are using the usual twisting of stats as a tiebreaker when we reach 17 next June, which will be ok until we get 18, then no more tie-breaker bs. But even when we get 19 and 20 and so on, the old goat will still be living in the past somehow coming up with more irrelevant stats to prove superiority. The Lakers franchise has done the amazing, the incredible since 1980, they have been the constant and consistent juggernaut of the NBA, somehow always coming up with a way to win. Since 1980 Dorkee, eh uh Dukee, the Lakers have been in the Finals exactly HALF THE TIME, that's 16 out of 32 years, sir. They won 10 of those 16, that's 10 out of 32, ALMOST 1/3 OF THE TIME in 32 years the Lakers have won it all. The Celtics on the other hand are a has been franchise that has been irrelevant for almost THREE DECADES, having won just one title in 27 years! And you have the audacity to call them the greatest NBA franchise? It's all about titles, Dukee, and about what-have-you-done-for-me-lately. The latest dramatic Laker moves will surely grab another couple of titles and maybe YET ANOTHER THREE PEAT, while the Celtics languish further into obscurity. The Celtics have not repeated since you were still wearing your nutters, that's almost a HALF CENTURY AGO. Continue to live in the past, ya old nutter.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

OUCH

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=FranchiseRankings2010-Intro

12. No. 1: Los Angeles Lakers
  13. No. 2: Boston Celtics
  14. No. 3: San Antonio Spurs
  15. No. 4: Chicago Bulls
  16. No. 5: Phoenix Suns
  17. No. 6: Philadelphia 76ers
  18. No. 7: Utah Jazz
  19. No. 8: Portland Trail Blazers
  20. No. 9: Orlando Magic
  21. No. 10: Houston Rockets

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

In Response to Re: Celtic Dominance:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtic Dominance : 17 />16 9 /> />>>>3 enough said.
    Posted by BostonPride34[/QUOTE]

Where was Boston all of the years LA was in the Finals?

Not in the playoffs, tanking for a good draft pick, complaining about the referees with that Meathead Tommy Heinsohn.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from lakerfaker. Show lakerfaker's posts

As a true Laker fan I have to hand it to you Duke.  You have shown the dominance of your team vs my team (The Lakers)  I knew it was lopsided but you just head butted me and woke me up.  As one of my fellow Laker poster has said time and again "you just mitchslapped me" .  You guys have a classy organization and should be proud of your accomplishments.   I hope we can reach that level in my lifetime.

Let me also apologize for my fellow Laker fans that come here to antagonize.

I have a feeling you guys will make the finals this year as you have a very talented team.  I worry about my guys as we have really aged.  Kobe is not near the player he use to be, only trouble is he doesn't realize it. DH has back problems that I am also worried about.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

the difference between the Yankees and the Lakers....

the Yankees got to all those World Series' (beginning in the 1920's by the way).....and they absolutely dominated their competition...

the Lakers got to the Finals and have been basically a .500 team (take away the five titles won in Minneapolis back in the early 1950's and they have a losing record)

then there are the Celtics, beginning with the 1956/57 squad (yes, that's right...in the modern shot clock era......7 years after the Lakers won their first title.....)  .....those Celtics teams also dominated the league as the Yankees did....to the tune of 17-4 and an incredible winning percentage of .809...

along the way they also dominated the Lakers to the tune of 9 wins to 3 (for a .750 winning percentage as compared to .250)...

to all those Laker fans who try to mock Celtic fans boasting of all of Boston's titles....ours all came in the same city and in the shot clock era.....Laker fans have to go back to the 1949 season to count all of theirs....and still they have but one banner to commemorate those titles won in the first years of league play......talk about the pot calling the kettle black....!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

[QUOTE]As a true Laker fan I have to hand it to you Duke.  You have shown the dominance of your team vs my team (The Lakers)  I knew it was lopsided but you just head butted me and woke me up.  As one of my fellow Laker poster has said time and again "you just mitchslapped me" .  You guys have a classy organization and should be proud of your accomplishments.   I hope we can reach that level in my lifetime. Let me also apologize for my fellow Laker fans that come here to antagonize. I have a feeling you guys will make the finals this year as you have a very talented team.  I worry about my guys as we have really aged.  Kobe is not near the player he use to be, only trouble is he doesn't realize it. DH has back problems that I am also worried about.
    Posted by lakerfaker[/QUOTE]

Classy Post...thanks !  I must admit that as much as I've hated the Lakers (Yankees too), I have been envious of their twin tower best duo dominance in the paint with Bynum & Gasol the past few years and fear it will continue if Howard stays healthy & stays with the Lakers. In games we've lost to LA it has usually been, albeit we've shot a better %, the 10+ rebounds and extra chances helped you beat us. We really have not dominated in the paint since the Bird, Parrish & McHale days & I'm a firm believer that rebound domination is perhaps the biggest factor in winning championships !

I know this is not the place but I will also admit I'm jealous of the Yankees and their ability to have traded for players who will probably win the world series this year and although their pitching is not terrific, their offense, like extra rebounds, bails out some mediocre hitting. Our Sox will have a tough time just reaching the .500 level this year.  Hopefully the Pats & Bruins will make us proud !

[QUOTE]the difference between the Yankees and the Lakers.... the Yankees got to all those World Series' (beginning in the 1920's by the way).....and they absolutely dominated their competition... the Lakers got to the Finals and have been basically a .500 team (take away the five titles won in Minneapolis back in the early 1950's and they have a losing record) then there are the Celtics, beginning with the 1956/57 squad (yes, that's right...in the modern shot clock era......7 years after the Lakers won their first title.....)  .....those Celtics teams also dominated the league as the Yankees did....to the tune of 17-4 and an incredible winning percentage of .809... along they way they also dominated the Lakers to the tune of 9 wins to 3 (or a .750 winning percentage compared to .250)... to all those fans who try to mock Celtic fans boasting of all of Boston's titles....ours all came in the same city and in the shot clock era.....Laker fans have to go back to the 1949 season to count all of theirs....and still they have but one banner to commemorate those titles won in the first years of league play......talk about the pot calling the kettle black....!
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

So, it's better to not make the playoffs or to lose early in the playoffs?
    That's better then losing in the finals?

Does anyone know how the Red Sox are doing this year?
    Does Bobby Valentine have any chance at Mangler of the Year?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Baseball (1)....Football (5)....Basketball (7)....surprised the Bruins aren't on this list....pretty impressive...two in the top five.....three in the top 10 (7).......only Pittsburg places two teams on this list.....

• You have chosen to ignore posts from nutter44. Show nutter44's posts

[QUOTE]The clearest way to see how well a franchise is doing is to look at the fanbase. Us Celtic fans are dwarfed by the number of Laker fans out there. They have won more titles on a consistent basis and therefore are more popular and successful. Heck it has been a very long 43 years since my Celtics have won back to back titles. On top of that, my team has only 1 title in the past 25 years. I dont even care to know how many the Lakers have in those 25 years. As much as it pains me to say it, the Lakers have been, and are currently more consistent NBA title winners and from the looks of their current lineup, it does not seem like my poor Celtics are going to be able to do anything about it. UGH!! 
    Posted by GoGREEN![/QUOTE]
    Hey Bynumsazero, how long are you going to continue this sophomoric crap! You aren't smart or cute. And putting UGH!! at the end of each post exposes you as the Nancy you really are.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from santafesino. Show santafesino's posts

Mark from Ct, "la tenés adentro" "LA, que la chupen y la sigan chupando"
    "Our son were born and our son will die"

• You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerFan67. Show LakerFan67's posts

You can inflate your egos, delude yourselves on how great the Celtics have been back in ancient history, but the fact remains that the Laker franchise has been more relevant with an expanded league, with athletes getting much better--bigger, stronger, faster.

So the era of the Celtics was the 1960s when the league was still at the developmental stage, with only 8 teams. But the 80s and the 2000s were the era of the LAKERS. 5 titles in the 80s and 5 titles in the 2000s. Would I want the reverse? Would I want to switch places with Boston and have the Lakers dominate the 60s but be irrelevant since? Not in an nanosecond!

Now some of you worry that the Lakers may win yet another title. I really don't make any predictions. I enjoy each season and realize that there are a slew of conditions that need to come together for any team to win a championship. 2 years ago it was Dallas, this past season it was Miami. But it will be fun watching who prevails. Who knows? It may even be Philly with the addition of Bynum.

You Boston fans can brag all you want about winning ONE TITLE in 2008 since the 80s. JUST 1! I'll take the 5 titles in the 2000s. :-)

Good luck this upcoming season. Just remember that 1 title over the past 20 years doesn't cut it. Not if you want to call yourself a DYNASTY.