Celtics interested in Michael Pietrus?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Celtics interested in Michael Pietrus?

He claims they are.  According to Hoopshype, Pietrus has said he was contacted before the lockout by the Celtics and lakers.  I think he would be perfect for us for a number of reasons.
    1.  He will probably not want to start
    2.  He can play 2 or 3
    3.  He played for SVG, so he can defend
    4.  He is probably cheaper than Jamal Crawford
    5.  He wants OUT of Phoenix
    6.  He has one year left on his contract.

He would have to be traded for, if he is not bought out (probably not, since they are working on buying out Carter), so here is my ridiculous trade proposal of the day, since I'm bored:

Sign Baby to a one-year deal, and trade him, with JON and Rondo to PHO for Pietrus, Nash and Lopez.  That's another 15 mill off the books for us next year, PHO gets to replace Nash, they don't like Pietrus and Lopez anyway and we get something for Baby.  Then use our MLE (if we have one) on Aaron Gray AND Delonte, and sign Kwame Brown for vet min.
    Nash/West/Bradley
    Ray/Pietrus/Moore
    Pierce/Green/Brown
    KG/JJJ/Murphy
    Lopez/Gray/K. Brown

Lose in the second round or ECF, and get TWO Free agents and two draft picks in 2012!!

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Re: Celtics interested in Michael Pietrus?

Interesting, but not sure I want to bail on Rondo. BBD/JON for MP/Lopez sounds good, IDK if they'd take it though. Using MLE to get Gray and Kwame sounds good too. I want Rondo to play out this season with the vets and make one last run at it. That being said, I am worried about what life will be like for the Celtics with Rondo being top dog with no KG/RA/PP to keep him in line. He's a stubborn, pass-first PG and I wonder how he could adjust to being the main man. I'd say keep him for this season and if the Celtics want to go after a PG in free agency (Paul/Williams) next year, he can be used as a trade chip for a complementary player+Draft Picks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from deanocelt. Show deanocelt's posts

I would definitely not bail on Rondo. IMO Rondo is a keeper. Smart, tough, quick, great defender. Needs work on jumper/FT%, however. I still like him; he has a huge heart and tremendous will to win.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

same old. This is doc already telling us that he is not going to develop players. That he only plays veterans.. If it works or not,  players end up being traded anyways. One year contracts and then traded.. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

there is no need to bring in nash at this point in his career to be the celtics' starting point guard.  the team already has a much younger, faster, better defender who is already an all star.

he may be a little stubborn, but don't you think that all of the great players were pretty stubborn as youngsters?  many still are.

pietrus and lopez i like better than o'neil and davis, but not enough to give up rondo for nash.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Nash is not an upgrade at the point, so why do you want him?
    Nash is not ready to come of the bench ala Mike Bibby, so forget him until he is in that salary range and mentality.
    I'm not sure I would trade Moore for Nash ( because of his debilitating salary- return on investment for our team[ We have enough stars to fill seats])
    Moore plays better defense at a more favorable price.

Starter quality play on offense from your back up point is a bonus, not an essential IMO.

I think it is essential for a back-up at any spot to have starter quality defense to win a championship.

I formed this opinon analyzing the Vinne Johnson Pistons,Cliff Levingston Bulls,Randy Brown Bulls, Malik Rose Spurs, James Posey Celtics, Lamar Odom Lakers, Devean George Lakers,DeShawn Stevenson Mavs, etc,etc.(give props to the defensive role players!)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Red russ
    A for effort but you have to be crazy to trade Rondo for Nash.  Nash is older than Ray and his minutes are diminishing as well as his talent.

Lopez on the Suns is also the wrong Lopez.  Please reconsider your trade.

BBD is not going to be resigned until he exhausts the free agent market offers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics interested in Michael Pietrus?:
    [QUOTE]Red russ A for effort but you have to be crazy to trade Rondo for Nash.  Nash is older than Ray and his minutes are diminishing as well as his talent. Lopez on the Suns is also the wrong Lopez.  Please reconsider your trade. BBD is not going to be resigned until he exhausts the free agent market offers.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Nash is done at the end of the year.  Another 10 mill off the books, go for DWill or Paul.  He will be hungry, like Jason Kidd.  Lopez on the Suns is better than any center we have now or probably can get through Free Agency.  Davis can start in PHO, so he may be open to the trade.  There is no market for him, he should just re-sign with us.
    Still think it's not a terrible trade - better than "go for DeAndre Jordan."

AND- we have DWest to back up Nash (if we sign him)!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I wouldn't mind that deal. It sets us up going forward.

Trading Rondo isn't for Nash, it's for Lopez and cap space in 2012 and beyond. I think I could deal with Nash for a year.

I like that lineup Russ proposed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

It might give us mumber 18, I just have questions about if Rondo can lead us to the promised land, we have looked at him for three years now and he got us close but no cigar.  I do think Rondo can keep us in the middle of the pack for four or five years. If that is what we want.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kenyonwoods. Show kenyonwoods's posts

Right this moment rondo is the best player on the Celts.  He was averaging 15 assists a game when we had a healthy center in Shaq.  Nash is one of the best PGs ever but right now RR eats his lunch.  So he won't be traded.  BBD is a FA and he's going to want to go somewhere and start.  I think he's gone.  Too bad.  Probably my favorite player.  So not sure the trade would work.  Signing Kwame?  Why?  The guy's been a major bust.  I'd like to see the kid from Perdue play at center myself. Never a big JON fan so I'd be relieved if he moved on but right now he's our starting center.  I'd like to see Danny land Superman and think we'll be in the running.  How about KG, JON and RA for Superman? No longer have same big 3 but we'd have Rondo, Pierce and Howard.  Howard's younger and just as good defensively as KG.  Pierce can shift back to SG to make room for Green at SF where I think he could be a star.  We could do a lot more running.  Hate to lose KG and RA, but this sets us up for the future. 

PG- Rondo, West, Bradley
    SG - Pierce, Kid from Perdue
    SF- Green, FA
    PF - BBD, JON, Murphy
    C- Howard, C from Perdue

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from blueprint555. Show blueprint555's posts

Nash for Rajon Rondo, common fellas thats just a no go trade, Rondo would improve his shooting but def not going to get dramatically better. And for Nash his defense is just well below average.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

t might give us mumber 18, I just have questions about if Rondo can lead us to the promised land, we have looked at him for three years now and he got us close but no cigar. 

Rondo has a ring and Nash doesn't if you recall. Rondo has gotten to the NBA finals twice, Nash zero times. Nash has gotten not that close and no cigar. 

Nash can't play D. 

I'm not 100 percent opposed to the trade because I don't think the team can win a title as constituted anyhow. What I object to is the notion that Nash can win us a title where Rondo can't. 

With the loss of Rondo we lose a quickness advantage and a lot of perimeter defense. 

The trade might still be a good one but Nash's title window has closed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]t might give us mumber 18, I just have questions about if Rondo can lead us to the promised land, we have looked at him for three years now and he got us close but no cigar.  Rondo has a ring and Nash doesn't if you recall. Rondo has gotten to the NBA finals twice, Nash zero times. Nash has gotten not that close and no cigar.  Nash can't play D.  I'm not 100 percent opposed to the trade because I don't think the team can win a title as constituted anyhow. What I object to is the notion that Nash can win us a title where Rondo can't.  With the loss of Rondo we lose a quickness advantage and a lot of perimeter defense.  The trade might still be a good one but Nash's title window has closed.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

Permission to ask you a question, Officer Spanky?

Pud

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldschoolfan. Show oldschoolfan's posts

[QUOTE]It might give us mumber 18, I just have questions about if Rondo can lead us to the promised land, we have looked at him for three years now and he got us close but no cigar.  I do think Rondo can keep us in the middle of the pack for four or five years. If that is what we want.
    Posted by maryngary[/QUOTE]

It wasn't Rondo that kept us from a championship, it was the fact that we had absolutely no inside presence either offensively or defensively.  Kevin Garnett is not The Man either way, he needs a big in tandem to be effective.  Perk was a limited player, we all can see that based on what he did in OKC, but paired with Garnett the two were phenomenal on defense.  But you have to be able to score inside to win consistently.  We won if Pierce and Allen hit the outside shot consistently, if they didn't we were in trouble.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

I'd take Pietrus and Jared Dudley for Glen Davis and the rookie E. Moore

Perfect fit. Pietrus is a tough defender , and a very good shooter (better than Glen Davis who kind of fell in love with the jumper only he's NOT a very good shooter- merely adequate/average)

Pietrus is a perfect Doc Rivers type of player and while he's a vet, he's not a broken down dinasour (like Michael Finley,Sam Cassel, Marbury,Shaq) , he can still defend young athletic swing players...for 15 minutes anyway , but that's all he would be needed for anyway.......perfect fit.

And do I even need to explain how GREAT Jared Dudley would be with the Celtics ?

That would be a great trade and I think PHX would do it.........and did I mention I've been craving a big plate of fried clams ? Nowhere in Arizona are there fried clams (with bellies).....have a great weekend Boston ! We're hibernating indoors all weekend like you guys do in the winter....been up over 110 for over 3 weeks now.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]I'd take Pietrus and Jared Dudley for Glen Davis and the rookie E. Moore Perfect fit. Pietrus is a tough defender , and a very good shooter (better than Glen Davis who kind of fell in love with the jumper only he's NOT a very good shooter- merely adequate/average) Pietrus is a perfect Doc Rivers type of player and while he's a vet, he's not a broken down dinasour (like Michael Finley,Sam Cassel, Marbury,Shaq) , he can still defend young athletic swing players...for 15 minutes anyway , but that's all he would be needed for anyway.......perfect fit. And do I even need to explain how GREAT Jared Dudley would be with the Celtics ? That would be a great trade and I think PHX would do it.........and did I mention I've been craving a big plate of fried clams ? Nowhere in Arizona are there fried clams (with bellies).....have a great weekend Boston ! We're hibernating indoors all weekend like you guys do in the winter....been up over 110 for over 3 weeks now.....
    Posted by PHX85014[/QUOTE]

I've been saying I think BBD would agree to go to PHX because he could start.  I'm not ready to trade Moore, but a straight up BBD ofr Pietrus works for me.  Are they down on Dudley?  They just signed him for FIVE years!!  Don't think DA would do that, but I DO think we can pry Lopez away from them.  They are down on him, right?  And he makes about 2 mill, so he would be a good fit.  He's only averaged about 15 mins per game, so who knows?  If we could get Aaron Gray to go with him, and dump JON, that would be a nice tandem!!  But, I agree Pietrus would be a good fit for us.  Hopefully we can catch a break with the new CBA - good post, thanks!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

It's not that the Suns are down on Dudley , just that they have been losing money for many seasons. The Suns are always in salary dump mode and I fully expect Nash to end in in NY or NJ (or Toronto) , no matter what the Suns say.

I don't have any inside info, but it just seems like it's time to blow it all up here in PHX , the Nash era was a blast but like all things, the fans are over it and everyone knows the Suns are D.O.A. in the Western Conference.

And everyone in PHX still remembers the excitement Charles Barkley to town when he showed up - bringing in Big Baby and giving him starter's minutes and a leadership role in the locker room makes perfect sense at this time for the Suns.
    Just a hunch, but I see PHX as the perfect place for Big Baby.

And if Ainge can pry away Martin Gortat and put him next to KG , I think everyone will forget about Perk. Gortat really made a big splash out here when he showed up from ORL - big time intensity and he immediately became a vocal leader in the locker room. The Suns have some interesting pieces....

Finally, I don't think Dudley is signed up for 5 years, I think you're thinking of Channing Frye who signed for big money and 6 yrs and immediately disappeared back into softness after having a breakout season chasing his current contract.....but man, can that guy shoot the 3 !

I think a PHX - Boston trade makes a lot of sense for both teams.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from louchin. Show louchin's posts

I'm thinking this is a more viable trade for the Celts which makes sense and doesnt hurt our free agent cap space in the summer of 2012...and keeps us competitive for 2011-12 season..

Rondo & A Bradley to Utah for Devon Harris and Gordon Heyward and a future 1st rd pick (2013 or 2014)...Rondo and Harris are only 3 yrs apart in age...I remember Harris burning us 3 yrs ago in the playoff against the Magic..
    also
    Sign and trade BBD(3.5 mil per) & future 2nd rd pick to Kings for JasonThompson & Donte Green,,,the Kings are loaded with smal forwards and can use BBD as a true PF which they need...

sign D West,S Pavlovic,T Murphy & FA Aaron Gray(league minimum contracts) 

2011-12 team outlook:

J O'Neil...J Thompson...A Gray (C)
    K Garnett...J Johnson...T Murphy (PF)
    J Green...G Heyward...D Greene (SF)
    P Pierce...R Allen...S Pavlovic (SG)
    D Harris...D West...E Moore (PG)

This keeps us competitive(not sure if we can win it all) for the coming season and is a good mixture of youth and veteran experience...It also sets us up for the 2012 free agent class with plenty of cap space and future draft picks..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]It's not that the Suns are down on Dudley , just that they have been losing money for many seasons. The Suns are always in salary dump mode and I fully expect Nash to end in in NY or NJ (or Toronto) , no matter what the Suns say. I don't have any inside info, but it just seems like it's time to blow it all up here in PHX , the Nash era was a blast but like all things, the fans are over it and everyone knows the Suns are D.O.A. in the Western Conference. And everyone in PHX still remembers the excitement Charles Barkley to town when he showed up - bringing in Big Baby and giving him starter's minutes and a leadership role in the locker room makes perfect sense at this time for the Suns. Just a hunch, but I see PHX as the perfect place for Big Baby. And if Ainge can pry away Martin Gortat and put him next to KG , I think everyone will forget about Perk. Gortat really made a big splash out here when he showed up from ORL - big time intensity and he immediately became a vocal leader in the locker room. The Suns have some interesting pieces.... Finally, I don't think Dudley is signed up for 5 years, I think you're thinking of Channing Frye who signed for big money and 6 yrs and immediately disappeared back into softness after having a breakout season chasing his current contract.....but man, can that guy shoot the 3 ! I think a PHX - Boston trade makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Like your thoughts, man.  How about my proposed trade of Rondo, Baby and JON for Nash, Pietrus and Lopez?  Money saver for both teams, and puts us right back in the drivers seat!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Love to see Nash join the Celtics but I think we need to tap the brakes on running Rondo out of town. He's the most frustrating player I can remember, one minute he looks like a top 10 player in the league, the next minute you wonder how he's even in the starting lineup. PHX would have to give up a lot more is they wanted Rondo and Big Baby in a deal. I think if you give up Rondo, you have to get back another young impact player, not a guy with one year left.

I think Rondo has far more trade value, just my opinion.

This lockout sux ! I was looking forward to the draft and then free agency and the trade frenzy..........it was great to see Dallas beat Miami and I think the NBA is better than it's been since the Michael Jordan Bulls were disbanded (that happened after a lockout too)

I don't want a 50 game season, I want to see the Big Three Celtics and the Lakers get another run at a championship.

Let's hope they settle quick , I miss following all the trade rumors and offseason moves.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Love to see Nash join the Celtics but I think we need to tap the brakes on running Rondo out of town. He's the most frustrating player I can remember, one minute he looks like a top 10 player in the league, the next minute you wonder how he's even in the starting lineup. PHX would have to give up a lot more is they wanted Rondo and Big Baby in a deal. I think if you give up Rondo, you have to get back another young impact player, not a guy with one year left. I think Rondo has far more trade value, just my opinion. This lockout sux ! I was looking forward to the draft and then free agency and the trade frenzy..........it was great to see Dallas beat Miami and I think the NBA is better than it's been since the Michael Jordan Bulls were disbanded (that happened after a lockout too) I don't want a 50 game season, I want to see the Big Three Celtics and the Lakers get another run at a championship. Let's hope they settle quick , I miss following all the trade rumors and offseason moves.

Well, we'd get Nash, Pietrus and Lopez.  Fill three needs, then watch two of them walk at season's end for a savings of another 15 mill.  Then go get Paul or DWill!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]Love to see Nash join the Celtics but I think we need to tap the brakes on running Rondo out of town. He's the most frustrating player I can remember, one minute he looks like a top 10 player in the league, the next minute you wonder how he's even in the starting lineup. PHX would have to give up a lot more is they wanted Rondo and Big Baby in a deal. I think if you give up Rondo, you have to get back another young impact player, not a guy with one year left. I think Rondo has far more trade value, just my opinion. This lockout sux ! I was looking forward to the draft and then free agency and the trade frenzy..........it was great to see Dallas beat Miami and I think the NBA is better than it's been since the Michael Jordan Bulls were disbanded (that happened after a lockout too) I don't want a 50 game season, I want to see the Big Three Celtics and the Lakers get another run at a championship. Let's hope they settle quick , I miss following all the trade rumors and offseason moves.

PHX:

Your pic of Pierce standing at the FT line, raising his arms signaling to the crowd. Do you know the details of that moment?

Looks awfully familiar.

Pud

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

First of all Nash only makes sense if there is actually a season this year. Rondo long term clearly is the way to go. But to win it all with Garnett, Pierce and Ray Allen, much better chance with Nash vs Miami than Rondo with all those turned down open jumpers by Rajon.

Decision is, do you build around an very athletic, tough unselfish point guard who cannot shoot a lick? Not sure about it really. Nash has one year on his contract, roll the dice, make a Dirk like run, then clear the books?? Just not sure if Rondo shoots good enough to be the MAIN MAN down the road.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]First of all Nash only makes sense if there is actually a season this year. Rondo long term clearly is the way to go. But to win it all with Garnett, Pierce and Ray Allen, much better chance with Nash vs Miami than Rondo with all those turned down open jumpers by Rajon. Decision is, do you build around an very athletic, tough unselfish point guard who cannot shoot a lick? Not sure about it really. Nash has one year on his contract, roll the dice, make a Dirk like run, then clear the books?? Just not sure if Rondo shoots good enough to be the MAIN MAN down the road.
    Posted by Celtics1986[/QUOTE]

Agree 100% thanks!