Celtics Need More Offense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Celtics Need More Offense

The Celtics are going to find a replacement for Daniels via trade. Hopefully Danny Ainge can acquire Shane Battier or Rip Hamilton. 

Last night against the Lakers Glen Davis and Von Wafer combined for 17 points but no other bench player scored. Against the Bobcats the Celtics only got 15 points from their bench. Ever since Daniels went down the Celtics are not getting enough production from their bench. 

The Celtics are #1 in points allowed and are holding their opponents to 43.7% FG, good for #3 in the league. Clearly the Celtics are of one the best defensive teams in the NBA right now. They just need to score more points.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Re: Celtics Need More Offense

P34, you're coming to your senses I see.

We could look at this like "well we didn't have our entire bench and still almost won". If you choose to do that you are playing with fire.

I tend to look at it like...THANK GOD THE AS BREAK IS COMING!!!! We need this break very very badly.

I still think we beat the Heat on Sunday.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I hope you are right Bias but this team needs some bodies to play competitive games.  I think the wins will come after the break.  I hope of course I am wrong.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toine83. Show toine83's posts

We need a shooter from the bench, a guy that can score the 3 giving space in the paint for Shaq, BBD.. Stojakovic was a good solution. Morrison?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

the thing is, we really dont need a great offensive backup 3. what we REALLY need is a DEFENSIVE minded 3. one in the tony allen mold (lil offense cant hurt). wen delonte comes back we can score the ball with him, nate/von, baby and shaq. what we need is someone who can guard kobe and lebron wen pierce goes out of the game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

screw morrison, get kwame brown.... jk

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I've been asking for a "microwave" type player. Someone who can just come in a light it up. A JR Smith, Curry, Ellis type of player (can't get any of them)

or

a guy like Posey or TA. If our bench isn't going to score much at least let's get a guy who can play defense on the opposing teams best bench player and lock him up so they don't go off.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toine83. Show toine83's posts

Bias, we need both

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I'd love to get Battier or Hamilton. Hopefully, Delonte & Nate returning will help get some production from beyond the paint other than from Pierce & Allen. Then a bit closer to the paint we get it from Garnett & Big Baby. But a real concern, and I love Rondo as he has talents few others have, great hands for defense & assisting & driving to the basket even by big men. BUT HE IS "IFFY" ON SHORT JUMPERS & IN 3 PT RANGE. Lakers last night had the advantage of playing 5 defenders on our 4 offensive players as they allowed Rondo to shoot. But where Rondo can help assist is feeding to a big man under the basket who can score like Bynum & Gasol. We only have Garnett to do that as Perkins truly is not a scorer but specializes in defense. But KG, age perhaps or fear of injuring his knee, is not a tremendous threat in the paint. W/O him now , whom do we have ? Shaq will help. We continue to get out rebounded but it has not been a concern when we shoot 50-60%. But last night in the 2nd half the shooting % went down & big reason we lost. I mean the Lakers in Game 7 last year shot 32% and Kobe 6 for 24 (25%) BUT HATE TO OPEN WOUNDS BUT THEY WON BECAUSE THEIR LOW % DIDN'T MATTER WHEN THEY CONTINUED TO GET REBOUNDS TO FINALLY SCORE. 

The benefit too of having some shooters to back up Pierce & Allen is that it takes someone or a couple of defenders from under the paint to come out and contest the 3 point shots and that allows us to get more rebounds. But when one of these guys is out, resting etc. we are of little threat beyond the paint.

OK, enough, I'm getting tear drops all over this post.

PS...Can we talk Sheed into returning ???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

The Celtics need to get healthy so they can play their game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Mandobello, Expectations are a little high for Delonte.  I like him and what he can do for us, but I think we need more than his return.  Candidly, I like West + Wafer more than West + Nate.  Those guys + Semih or Shaq would really help a lot.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

The Celtics played poor defense in the second half of last nights game. Fear of foul trouble, foul trouble, and lack of adequate defensive replacements prevented the win. When the Celtics get healthy, the world will return to the correct orbit. Offense comes and goes, The Celtics can bring defense every night if they have enough players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Celtics Need More Offense:
    [QUOTE]The Celtics are going to find a replacement for Daniels via trade. Hopefully Danny Ainge can acquire Shane Battier or Rip Hamilton.  Last night against the Lakers Glen Davis and Von Wafer combined for 17 points but no other bench player scored. Against the Bobcats the Celtics only got 15 points from their bench. Ever since Daniels went down the Celtics are not getting enough production from their bench.  The Celtics are #1 in points allowed and are holding their opponents to 43.7% FG, good for #3 in the league. Clearly the Celtics are of one the best defensive teams in the NBA right now. They just need to score more points.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

Yes they need to score more, they are about 20 in the league in scoring.  And... they have one of the worst scoring point guards and worst scoring center in the league.  I keep hearing how Rondo is a such a star but does not need to score because there is plenty of scoring, etc.  They average about 98 ppg and it is for some reason OK that Rondo only scores 11 and then when they are not scoring it is brought to the attention of some that nobody even guards Rondo and dare him to shoot and he has shown over and over and over again that he is the worst shooter in the league.

Lately they have been lucky to score 90 points.

What is very apparent to me is that whenever the other team has bad match ups for Pierce and or Ray and or KG that the "all-star" Rondo becomes a complete non-factor and fails to step up.

Ditto for Perk.  He is completely useless on the offensive end.  I understand that he is just getting back from a serious knee injury but I love to hear how he is this great defensive stalwart and both Howard and Bynum embarrass him off the floor.

I look forward to seeing D West running the team during the tail end of the season and throughout the playoffs in crunch time - he will actually have to be guarded.  He will get to the rim, make his freebies, make 3s, make jumpers and Rondo can watch.  Ditto for Perk - he can watch Shaq.

So as usual I make claims that their offense is the real problem - they play teams that actually play defense and then invariably there is a thread about how they need offense...... but of course, I am an a hole and a troll and have no clue what I am talking about but at the same time very very very very correct.

Please say it with me - there are any number of other point guards in the league if who were to replace Rondo the Cs would be no worse off and in a lot of cases much much better - they may give up a little on defense but their offense would be a lot better............it would have really suc ked if last night against the Lakers Aarron Brooks would have had 25 and made 5 of 7 threes and all of his freebies.  It would have really suc ked if Derick Rose would have taken over the game and actually had to have been guarded.  It would have been horrendous if Devin Harris got to the rim whenever he wanted to and finished and made his freebies and made a couple of threes.  It would have been the absolute end of the world if Tony Parker got to the rim whenever he wanted to, made all his freebies, made 3s and uncontested jumpers.

What was not so great was for the last 6 or 7 losses Rondo would not have been outplayed by Rose, Wall, Brooks, Nash, etc.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

you R an a hole

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Please name me one point guard whom you consider to be better than Rondo, whom the Celtics could reasonably get in trade?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics Need More Offense:
    [QUOTE]Please name me one point guard whom you consider to be better than Rondo, whom the Celtics could reasonably get in trade?
    Posted by Number6Fan[/QUOTE]

I know it would be complete heresy to even suggest this but Russell Westbrook is the only team in the league that averages 23 points, 9 assists, and 5 boards - I know I know I know he is not a pass first point guard but he is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better.

He and Chris Paul and Deron Williams.

What most are incapable of even entertaining is how much Rondo benefits from playing with the starters he has.  Nobody in the league plays with as much talent.

I would not even hesitate to trade Rondo for the following players - they would be no worse off and in some cases a lot better:

Nash, Kidd, Williams, Paul, Westbrook, Davis, Rose, Curry, Tyreke Evans, John Wall, Arronn Bookes, and I am sure some others but the idea that Rondo is some sort indespendible, irreplaceable force to me is a joke.  As he has proven, he is an automatic double team against one of his teammates, he cannot finish, cannot shoot, avoids shooting, the worst foul shooter in the league, etc.

Recently Houston beat the Cs and Brooks had 24 points and 9 assists and completely outplayed Rondo.  Houston was missing Kevin Martin.  The green colored glasses make it incomprehensible for people to think that a player that can do everything Rondo can do and oh by the way shoot that it would be ok.

Do you really think that Pierce, Allen, and KG think it is a good thing that they tend to lose close games and have one of the lowest scoring offenses in the league that somewhere under sodium pentathol that they are thinking "I am so glad we have two starters that basically cannot participate in the offense"?

Would you like to see a game, just one game, where Rondo steps up when other guys have bad match ups and take over the game?  Well guess what.... he can't.

Would it be nice to see Rondo have just one, even just one, Rose type game?  He is completely incapable of being that kind of player.  And to think that KG, Pierce, and Allen think no big deal is completely laughable.

I have heard for the last 4 years how the other players have sacrificed their egos for the good of the team - would it be a real big sacrifice if they had a point guard that could share more of the load?  He can't.

The main reason Rondo could not be traded for some of these players is that they make more than Rondo and the salaries have to be within 15% to make the trade.  Why are they not within 15%?  They are either too young or YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.... i.e. Rondo does not make as much as them for a reason.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

A lot to say without much to say.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]A lot to say without much to say.
    Posted by Jump-ball-overtime[/QUOTE]

Close your eyes and imagine Rondo wearing Rockets red and white..... then bring yourself to admit Rondo would still be the worst shooter in the league and be averaging 6 assists per game because he has nobody to pass the ball to that is going into the hall of fame on the very first available ballot, let alone 4 guys going on the first ballot.

It is ok, just let it wash over you, it won't hurt - it is just true.

As I heard Jackie MacMullan say today on WEEI "they really miss Shaq and that is why Rondo had so many assists earlier in the year and not so much when he is out - if you decide to double team Pierce or Ray or KG then you are leaving Shaq 3 feet from the basket"...... 

At least try to accept this basic notion.... if Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, and Jason Kidd were in the eastern conference along with Derick Rose.... Rondo would not even get a sniff near the all-star game.  Just like a couple of years from now when Wall is not 19 years old.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

None of this will matter when the Celtics win banner number 18. The Celtics are the the best team, and they have the  best team players in the league. Each player has their strengths and their weaknesses, but as a team, they have no peer. So what if Rondo can't shoot under pressure, so what if KG can't score 40 points in the paint, so what if Paul dribbles into double teams, so what if Allen can't dribble in traffic?

The bottom line is that if they are healthy, they are the team to beat. Why? Because they understand that it takes a team to win, and they do it better than anyone else.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]None of this will matter when the Celtics win banner number 18. The Celtics are the the best team, and they have the  best team players in the league. Each player has their strengths and their weaknesses, but as a team, they have no peer. So what if Rondo can't shoot under pressure, so what if KG can't score 40 points in the paint, so what if Paul dribbles into double teams, so what if Allen can't dribble in traffic? The bottom line is that if they are healthy, they are the team to beat. Why? Because they understand that it takes a team to win, and they do it better than anyone else.
    Posted by Jump-ball-overtime[/QUOTE]

I hate to rain on your parade, but the record shows that the Celtics are not the best team in the NBA right now. Maybe in your opinion they are, but it just doesn't show in the standings. Just keeping it real.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Jeff Green and Nenad Krstic, now that's offense!

The Celtics are a more dynamic team now. Rondo will have more assists and the Celtics will become a better FT shooting team. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

you're partially right, P34.  Unfortunately, we're going to be a smaller team as soon as Shaq picks up those 3 fouls in the early 1st quarter since he's unable to guard anyone (or when he's hurt).   No problem when playing the Heat.  Its a problem with playing the Lakers, Bulls, or some others who have a taller team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]you're partially right, P34.  Unfortunately, we're going to be a smaller team as soon as Shaq picks up those 3 fouls in the early 1st quarter since he's unable to guard anyone (or when he's hurt).   No problem when playing the Heat.  Its a problem with playing the Lakers, Bulls, or some others who have a taller team.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Thats where 7 foot Kristic comes in.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]you're partially right, P34.  Unfortunately, we're going to be a smaller team as soon as Shaq picks up those 3 fouls in the early 1st quarter since he's unable to guard anyone (or when he's hurt).   No problem when playing the Heat.  Its a problem with playing the Lakers, Bulls, or some others who have a taller team.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

If the Celtics end up with Troy Murphy, who's 6-11, then size won't be an issue.