Celtics planning for the NBA Finals before they get there?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

Re: Celtics planning for the NBA Finals before they get there?

In Response to Celtics planning for the NBA Finals before they get there?:
    [QUOTE]Saw an interesting comment in another thread and thought I'd make a topic of it. Do you think the Celtics have actually constructed a team to beat the L.A. Lakers while not concentrating on assembling a team that will beat the Bulls, Magic and especially The Heat? Logically we could assume that they have a stronger team (on paper) from last year. Although time will tell how the absence of Tony Allen and long time injury to Kendrick Perkins will hinder the team. There is still a question mark in my mind over Shaq (even thought I adore the big fella) and JON. How will they blend with the team when the games start to matter. How will they be used in the rotation? Seems to me that management may have designed this team with the purpose of beating the Lakers. I think the Magic did a similar thing after their loss to us in the '09 finals. And it cost them the next season.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

Well of course the team was designed to match up with the lakers in terms of size but they have also upgraded the rotations and that should allow them to have a better regular season than last year.  I think getting home court is one of their goals.

No one can really predict how heathy the team will be.  I do expect some games will be missed by Shaq and other players but that is normal in the NBA.  The key difference this year is the quality of the depth on this team.  I thyink that depth will neutralize the impact of losing a player or two to injury.

dboss

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

It'll be interesting to see how the heat play. In a way the heat are doing the ultimate small ball experiement in NBA history, with 2 of the three best wing players in the game. It is similar in a lot of ways to the bulls teams of the 90s with Pippen and Jordan as perhaps the two best wing players in the league during their reign. 

There are difference though. The Bulls had big bodies and players like Grant and Rodman who were terrifc rebounders.  I don't think Bosh is much on the boards. Also, Jordan at the guard actually played alot in the post, posting up smaller guards. Lebron doesn't have much of a post game and i'm not sure of Wade.

Post play is obviously important for consistent scoring and rebounds turn into fast breaks. If the celtics control the boards (which they should) they can do a lot to slow the heat down.

Also, I'm no Doc Rivers but it seems to me, the celtic guards of Rondo/West/Robinson will get a lot of pentration against the heat guards. Even if Wade and lebron are guarding them. They are going to get to the rim and maybe throw some ally oops to the (hopefully healthy) O'Neil brothers.

I think the celtics can score and rebound against the heat. I think Miami will give the celtics fits in the open court though. lebron and James are going to get theirs but if we can turn them into jump shooters and if KG really is healthy enough to slow down Bosh down, we have as good a chance as anyone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics planning for the NBA Finals before they get there?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics planning for the NBA Finals before they get there? : i dont think that is going to hinder miami's offense much, even in playoff time...wade and lebron are going to be match up nightmares and that is going to leave wide open shots all over the court...even if miller is the only legit threat...eddie house is still pretty solid from deep and james jones is as well but shooting a bunch of 3's isnt what will set this team apart...it will be their ability to get to the line that will and the heat are going to draw a ton of fouls this year IMO, i agree with lebron...but come march and april, this team will be playing more and more like a team and thats when everyone should look out
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0[/QUOTE]

If what you're saying is true then the Cavs should at least have 1 championship by now. 

Back in 2006 Team USA had Bron, Wade, and Bosh but they still lost to Greece in the semis. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics planning for the NBA Finals before they get there? :  Back in 2006 Team USA had Bron, Wade, and Bosh but they still lost to Greece in the semis. 
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

Wow, I didn't even remember that. That's a really cool observation. Different rules in international games, but still, that's pretty interesting.

I think they may well win a championship or three at Miami. But I just don't think it'll be this season. Of course that's depending on injury and other outside influences.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics planning for the NBA Finals before they get there? : Wow, I didn't even remember that. That's a really cool observation. Different rules in international games, but still, that's pretty interesting. I think they may well win a championship or three at Miami. But I just don't think it'll be this season. Of course that's depending on injury and other outside influences.

That's the reason why in 2006 Team USA lost to Greece. 

Dwight Howard couldn't hit his free-throws so coach K had to play Bosh at Center. Obviously Bosh was too thin to bang inside so Team USA couldn't win the rebounding battle. 

Greece even led by double digits at one point in that semis game. Lebron and Chris Paul couldn't hit open outside shots that's why the Greek team just collapsed and focused on defending the paint. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

Rumchale,

you bandwagon fan lol...blake better than robinson....

lets go to the stats...

blake - 5.2 ppg 3.7 asst carrear...

robinson -13.3 ppg 2.7 asst...

ill take robinson...much better scorer...and almost as good as an asst. man.

Look at you with your fisher v. rondo...

rondo after being in the league for like 5 years has more steals and rebounds than fisher in 12 + years...

if you need a steal or a rebound....ILL TAKE RONDO.....

yes fisher is clutch for shooting...thats it...

take your wana be tough guy act OFF THIS THREAD...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

jimmyjack,

BOSH IS NOT THE BEST PF IN THE LEAGUE....

Dirk is still the best looking at stats..Then Tim duncan...Then Amare...After that then you have gasol, kg...then after its bosh..

Bosh has been a stats guy..BUT HAS ALWAYS been SOFT...remember pierces dunk on him!!!!!   The other guys I mentioned WOULD NEVER LET THAT HAPPEN...

thats why the heat will loose this year..Lebronte is SOFT...BOSH SOFT...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

[QUOTE]I think they they prepared for all the possible teams they will play. They did not have the legnth to battle the Lakers last year. Realistically it took heart to get by Orlando and Cleveland with Just Perk KG Sheed and BB. I think they saw what was needed to meet there goal and went out and filled the needs. Let's start up front, Miami has no real front line, Z is old, Bosh is not a banger and Haslim in undersized. Orlando has two bigs, but rarely play them together, I simply don't believe in Carlos Boozer as a winner although I feel Noah is going to better this year. The Lakers if we get there have Bynum if healthy after yet another knee injury, Odom and Gasol. If we are healthy I like our chances a lot. In the back court without Ben Gordon Chicago has no real back court. Rose is good, but Luol Deng is one dimensional and Kyle Korver is a 10 minute a game guy that shoots threes only. Miami has Chalmers, ok, Eddie House, ok backup, Wade who is a serious threat and Lebron who can also play the two or three. Orlando is more well rounded in it's backcourt with Nelson, Lewis and Reddick. The Lakers have an older Fisher, Kobe who is still a top 5 player no question, but they have a bench of Barnes and Blake, never been really sold on either of those guys. In all honesty the Celtics and Lakers have the best all around teams. The one question mark for the Lakers is can you count on Ratliff in that rotation if someone gets hurt? I say no. He's been injury prone for a few years up until last year where he did play I believe 60+ games, but I don't feel he has much left in the tank. For the Celtics is if you meet the Lakers can you count on Rondo down the stretch? I say no. He can't shoot, won't shoot and he allows Kobe to roam. The C's may have to play West down the stretch simply to neutralize that and force Kobe to play straight up D. If both teams get there it would be better for the league that this Lebron con job of a team. I'm not predicting a winner, but would be a hell of a series again. Dfury13
    Posted by DFURY13[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

terrific analysis man!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics planning for the NBA Finals before they get there? : If what you're saying is true then the Cavs should at least have 1 championship by now.  Back in 2006 Team USA had Bron, Wade, and Bosh but they still lost to Greece in the semis. 
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]
    they should...but the cavs figured over the hill players were going to help lebron win and come playoff time, they all disappeared

although no one says the rest of the cavs quit on the team even though the evidence is clearly there

1 man doth not win many titles

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

[QUOTE]jimmyjack, BOSH IS NOT THE BEST PF IN THE LEAGUE.... Dirk is still the best looking at stats..Then Tim duncan...Then Amare...After that then you have gasol, kg...then after its bosh.. Bosh has been a stats guy..BUT HAS ALWAYS been SOFT...remember pierces dunk on him!!!!!   The other guys I mentioned WOULD NEVER LET THAT HAPPEN... thats why the heat will loose this year..Lebronte is SOFT...BOSH SOFT...
    Posted by DoctorCO[/QUOTE]
    now that you got the caps out of your system...

your argument is still weak though

look at the stats and then the team

bosh was the raptors

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics planning for the NBA Finals before they get there? : now that you got the caps out of your system... your argument is still weak though look at the stats and then the team bosh was the raptors

And, let me guess, you liked him on the Raptors.  It's just coincidence that he is on the Heat now.

I don't think I can handle a year of haven't-won-anything-yet Heat fans on here.

The East goes through Boston until further notice - end of story.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kobedaman. Show kobedaman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics planning for the NBA Finals before they get there? : And, let me guess, you liked him on the Raptors.  It's just coincidence that he is on the Heat now. I don't think I can handle a year of haven't-won-anything-yet Heat fans on here. The East goes through Boston until further notice - end of story.
    Posted by BirdandCowens[/QUOTE]

OK its settled the East goes through Miami!  You've been wrong....well since you became a member on this subject.  Celtics will be lucky to secure a three hole in the coming playoffs.  END OF STORY.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

The championship goes through L.A......the rest is all talk.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

I agree with the first post that the Celtics are bulit to better match up against the Lakers than aginst the Heat.  Even in 2008, a fast atheltic team, the Hawks, gave the Celts trouble.  I expect the Heat to play at an out of this world speed, something that will be hard to contend with.  I believe that the Celts can grind them out but it will be a battle of wills and attrition.  With their front line, I will look forward to the Celts committing a bunch of hard fouls to knock Mebron, Wade and Bosh on to their rear end.  If the Celts win, they will have to win ugly.  I wish they had one more better quality wing player although Delonte's addition has made me feel much better.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

In Response to Celtics planning for the NBA Finals before they get there?:
    [QUOTE]Saw an interesting comment in another thread and thought I'd make a topic of it. Do you think the Celtics have actually constructed a team to beat the L.A. Lakers while not concentrating on assembling a team that will beat the Bulls, Magic and especially The Heat? Logically we could assume that they have a stronger team (on paper) from last year. Although time will tell how the absence of Tony Allen and long time injury to Kendrick Perkins will hinder the team. There is still a question mark in my mind over Shaq (even thought I adore the big fella) and JON. How will they blend with the team when the games start to matter. How will they be used in the rotation? Seems to me that management may have designed this team with the purpose of beating the Lakers. I think the Magic did a similar thing after their loss to us in the '09 finals. And it cost them the next season.

Good points.  I don't think they designed the team just to beat the lakers.  I have three reasons for this:
    1.  We were last in the league in rebounding last year.  That is an issue that needed to be addressed and was.
    2.  JON needed to be signed because we knew Perk would be out until at least Jan.  With only the MLE available, it was a good signing.
    3.  They hesitated for so long on Shaq.  I do think Shaq wants to beat the lakers, and it does look like they were built for that purpose.  However, Shaq was the missing piece, another big.........it's just a coincidence it's Shaq!!

Know what I mean?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Fisher can hit clutch shots. Big difference in rating the players. For Rondo he has more hustle in his game than Fisher has ever possessed. I'm still not sold on Miami yet. Wasn't sold on the 2008 Celtics either until they started winning the games that mattered. Bosh and James if they believe it's Wade's team then there will be trouble for the league. As I see Miami as being Wade's team, he is the Heat. As far as I'm concerned now James is his version of Pippen. A more potent scorer to be sure, but just an exceptionally talented sidekick. Wade showed real heart against the Celtics last year. But then James new he was leaving Cleveland so that may have had something to do with his play. Ramekap you echo my sentiments. I don't see the heat as being as deep as that 2008 Celtics team. I think that 2008 side from Boston was very hungry for a title as well. Guys like Allen and especially Garnett. Maybe after winning A title they could have relaxed mentally, we're champions let it ride. They may not even know it. But somewhere in the back of their minds it is there. We'll see this season. I think Celtic teams usually win two championships and this is their last realistic chance so that could be a factor in propelling them to title 18.

VERY good point on Wade/Bron being Jordan/Pippen. That is how they must view themselves for the Heat to be incredible. LeBron is as much better than Pip than Jordan is to Wade, and that is not being rude to anyone. Bron has tried to play like Magic and Jordan on and off for 5 years now and come up short despite his talent.

If he just has to be Pippen - LOOK OUT! Lets see if his ego can take it, obv we have seen that his backbone questioned as a lead dog and his bball skills are more suitable to that role. deep down he knows it as well. Pip was a 20p 6a 8r 2s guy during the 6 rings when Jordan was a 29-5-6. Bump Bron's stats just above Pippen's and Wade's just below MJ's and that is the winning formula. Bosh can certainly duplicate/better the 13/9 Ho Grant was giving. He won't come close to Rodman's rebound #'s. But 17/11 would be all they need.

I hope that Boston has at least 1 more title in them before the Heat figure that all out:-) We'll be like Detroit in 1990.

Bron needs to be who KG was in '08. Set the tone on defense. Play 110% all the time, doing little jobs to WIN and not just doing what you did in the past when you were the whole show. If he defers to Wade when it comes to who is the 'captain' and who takes the last shot like KG did with Pierce then it will be gravy in South Beach.

Bosh has the luxery of the Ray role. Do his thing on offense, with 2 superior players getting a lot of attention it won't be that hard. Coast to 17-19ppg and then just concentrate on double digit boards each night like Ray up'd his defense for the first time in his career.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Fisher can hit clutch shots. Big difference in rating the players. For Rondo he has more hustle in his game than Fisher has ever possessed. I'm still not sold on Miami yet. Wasn't sold on the 2008 Celtics either until they started winning the games that mattered. Bosh and James if they believe it's Wade's team then there will be trouble for the league. As I see Miami as being Wade's team, he is the Heat. As far as I'm concerned now James is his version of Pippen. A more potent scorer to be sure, but just an exceptionally talented sidekick. Wade showed real heart against the Celtics last year. But then James new he was leaving Cleveland so that may have had something to do with his play. Ramekap you echo my sentiments. I don't see the heat as being as deep as that 2008 Celtics team. I think that 2008 side from Boston was very hungry for a title as well. Guys like Allen and especially Garnett. Maybe after winning A title they could have relaxed mentally, we're champions let it ride. They may not even know it. But somewhere in the back of their minds it is there. We'll see this season. I think Celtic teams usually win two championships and this is their last realistic chance so that could be a factor in propelling them to title 18.

Yes if you make the matchup Kobe vs. Rondo and Ray vs Fisher everything is much nicer looking for LA

Allen has to be on fire and Rondo has to play like he is not afraid to go to the line AND constantly hit  18 footers left open for him

I still like Nate and DWest as the microwave scorer who guards PG's and the not so shabby scorer himself who at 6'4" plays point and guards SG's over the backups for LA @ guard.

I felt the Celts would beat LA if KG held Gasol to 80-85% of his regular season performance while in turn only being slightly worse than him in the series. He was not up to it. I think he could be this year.

The same analogy will apply KG vs. Bosh and Pierce vs LeBron. Wade will be a team effort with a lot of DWest and even Rondo on him. Rondo and our multiple C's and insane bench will be the key to beating Miami.

Along with the refs;-)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics planning for the NBA Finals before they get there? : And, let me guess, you liked him on the Raptors.  It's just coincidence that he is on the Heat now. I don't think I can handle a year of haven't-won-anything-yet Heat fans on here. The East goes through Boston until further notice - end of story.
    no, i dont like the raptors...but facts are facts and he was the face of the franchise and its best player for 7 years

and in case you havent noticed...the season is 2010-2011 now...no one has won anything yet this season

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics planning for the NBA Finals before they get there? : That was exactly the answer I was expecting.  You were NOT a Heat fan last year, though.  Was it Cavs?
    hahaha...well on the one hand im glad i didnt disappoint

but no...the only cleveland team i root for is the injuns...and its only because their team was featured in the best baseball movie of all time

see other thread regarding the fact i bleed black and red and have for over 20 years now

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics planning for the NBA Finals before they get there? : no, i dont like the raptors...but facts are facts and he was the face of the franchise and its best player for 7 years and in case you havent noticed...the season is 2010-2011 now...no one has won anything yet this season

Good luck with the Heat but the championship still runs through L.A! (That's if you get past the east)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics planning for the NBA Finals before they get there? : Good luck with the Heat but the championship still runs through L.A! (That's if you get past the east)
    Posted by RUMcHale[/QUOTE]
    thanks and only until june

Cool

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics planning for the NBA Finals before they get there? : Well, then, good luck to you and your team this year.  I can't waste any more time on this - I think you are two years away.  And the East still goes through Boston, even MeBron says that!
    thanks...2 years away?

well thats pretty rediculous in and of itself but you are entitles to your own opinion

and lebron only said that because its the politically correct thing to say

time for the new big 3 to reign!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics planning for the NBA Finals before they get there? : thanks...2 years away? well thats pretty rediculous in and of itself but you are entitles to your own opinion and lebron only said that because its the politically correct thing to say time for the new big 3 to reign!

HAHAHA!!!

I think time to get healthy first is more appropriate. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics planning for the NBA Finals before they get there? : HAHAHA!!! I think time to get healthy first is more appropriate. 
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]
    lebron is healthy

wade is close

and mike miller rolled his ankle but not too badly...

aside from that...team is good to go