Celtics Summer League Game #3

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Celtics Summer League Game #3

I hear people comparing The Clinic to Larry Bird...that's a reach.

I see him more like Pau Gasol. He's a 7-0 PF with good skills.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Re: Celtics Summer League Game #3

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

He is a great ball handler..did I hear he say that he used to play PG back in highschool?? wasnt playing too much attention to his interview afterwards

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

It's better to wait and see than make a conclusion....he is what he is, hopefully we find a gold with KO!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to bangkoker's comment:

It's better to wait and see than make a conclusion....he is what he is, hopefully we find a gold with KO!

I agree..but there is a pattern that is telling us that he is going to be serviceable right away..and that is good..after that, he will be measured as he plays

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to cabutan's comment:

In response to bangkoker's comment:

I agree..but there is a pattern that is telling us that he is going to be serviceable right away..and that is good..after that, he will be measured as he plays

The pattern is consistency ... this is the third straight game that Oly's been better than good!

Nice finish by him and Pressey with a few minutes left in the game ... Pressey looks like a keeper.

Edit 1: Oly 21 and 9 after another nice Up & Under with 2 mins left ... Puts the dagger in Indy @ 74-67.

Edit 2: Almost jinx them but Pressy sealed it with free throws ... Nice!

Good to see Green & Sully at the game supporting the summer team and meeting with the new coach.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Oly, Sully, Green, and Bradley. 

The Celts now have young players to build on.

How bout Brooks ... Is the jury still out on him?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

it's almost like Rondo isn't here any more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Dont like Bird or Gasol comparison. He is looking more like a young Dirk to me, and that to me is better because like Magic said "there will never be another Larry Bird" and so far as Gasol?!?  I dont see it. Gasol is strictly post up, and 15 footers. No handle or 3 pt range. Gasol is a post player while K.O. is a stretch 4 who will take time to be successful in the post in the NBA due to his lack of strenght early on. In 2 years, if all goes well, he will be an inside and out assasin with passing skills to boot. I wasnt impressed when they drafted him but I am warming up a little now to his versatility and shooting ability. As a 5 in the post, I thought he was a reach. As a stretch 4, he is ready to go this year. Lets hope he keeps progressing. He has to lose that string around his head tho. Reminds me of sunshine from "remember the titans" without the blonde hair

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Olynyk is better than Gasol.

Olynyk is really, really good.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

I bet ya he has been the best man in the floor for three consecutive days..dare to say it..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

In response to chris33's comment:

[QUOTE]

Olynyk is better than Gasol.

Olynyk is really, really good.

[/QUOTE]

Let's not get carried away. He's good though.

People say wait because it's just summer league. I remember last year when I saw Damian Lillard in summer league and said he's going to be the ROY. I think Olynk is going to get MVP of the Orlando Summer League.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

KO is definately making a name for himself when you hear coaches and ex players not reporters using names like Dirk and Larry when describing him. I know it is just summer league but I see a lot of really good things in him. I think so far there are 5 guys that have a good chance to get an invite to camp at least right now. KO, Melo,Mitchell,Pressey and Iverson. Pressey has looked better every game. Iverson is a solid player that plays inside himself. Mitchell looks like a guy that could very well be the next D League success story. There are some others that will be makingf aliving play ball but not just on our roster or NBA. Oden-Smith,if only he was 2-3 inches taller,he is definately a 2 with athleticism and motor,just not quite enough though. Fells,good,just not good enough. Kam??? is going to have a nice career in Europe probably. Granger, maybe,too inconsistent,Oldham flashes but.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:

KO is definately making a name for himself when you hear coaches and ex players not reporters using names like Dirk and Larry when describing him. I know it is just summer league but I see a lot of really good things in him. I think so far there are 5 guys that have a good chance to get an invite to camp at least right now. KO, Melo,Mitchell,Pressey and Iverson. Pressey has looked better every game. Iverson is a solid player that plays inside himself. Mitchell looks like a guy that could very well be the next D League success story. There are some others that will be makingf aliving play ball but not just on our roster or NBA. Oden-Smith,if only he was 2-3 inches taller,he is definately a 2 with athleticism and motor,just not quite enough though. Fells,good,just not good enough. Kam??? is going to have a nice career in Europe probably. Granger, maybe,too inconsistent,Oldham flashes but.

He is a terrifc offensive talent. He is gonna have trouble defending the pick and roll though. poor lateral quickness. Hopefuly the celtics can scheme ways to protect him. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

In response to jtkl's comment:

[QUOTE]

He is a terrifc offensive talent. He is gonna have trouble defending the pick and roll though. poor lateral quickness. Hopefuly the celtics can scheme ways to protect him. 

[/QUOTE]

He might not be a super athletic defender but, he has great hands on both sides of the ball and has very solid defensive fundamentals and will be a good team defender. Just because your 7 feet doesn't mean you have to be a phenom shot blocker to be a solid defender. I have noticed a few habits that will serve him well in the NBA, he doesn't absorb contact by using his hands, he sets himself wide and uses angles to make up for his lack of foot speed and he doesn't go for the same move twice. I don't think he'll ever be a shot blocker but I do think he will get a lot more steals than most bigs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dont like Bird or Gasol comparison. He is looking more like a young Dirk to me, and that to me is better because like Magic said "there will never be another Larry Bird" and so far as Gasol?!?  I dont see it. Gasol is strictly post up, and 15 footers. No handle or 3 pt range. Gasol is a post player while K.O. is a stretch 4 who will take time to be successful in the post in the NBA due to his lack of strenght early on. In 2 years, if all goes well, he will be an inside and out assasin with passing skills to boot. I wasnt impressed when they drafted him but I am warming up a little now to his versatility and shooting ability. As a 5 in the post, I thought he was a reach. As a stretch 4, he is ready to go this year. Lets hope he keeps progressing. He has to lose that string around his head tho. Reminds me of sunshine from "remember the titans" without the blonde hair

Exactly what I said 2 weeks ago,  and got laughed out of the forum.....  Imagine??

MustangBri 06/28/2013 08:50 AM

This is the guy I wanted considering our draft position,  since seeing him in the NCAA Tournament.  Glad all the expert's picks of Shabbazz Muhammed were WRONG!!  Could....  could....  be a Nowitski clone if we get lucky.  If not...  could be another Adam Morrisson.   He's not the best at defense,  but he will learn.  In college he was groomed for his scoring because he was bigger than most players he faced.  In the pro's he will get burned a bit,  but he will learn.  Nice pick Danny. 

Replies section 77 06/28/2013 09:38 AM

His game is nothing like either Dirk or Morrison. You might as well try to compare him with rondo.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Since when do the Celtics defend the pick and roll?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hondorondo. Show hondorondo's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Exactly what I said 2 weeks ago,  and got laughed out of the forum.....  Imagine??

MustangBri06/28/2013 08:50 AM

This is the guy I wanted considering our draft position,  since seeing him in the NCAA Tournament.  Glad all the expert's picks of Shabbazz Muhammed were WRONG!!  Could....  could....  be a Nowitski clone if we get lucky.  If not...  could be another Adam Morrisson.   He's not the best at defense,  but he will learn.  In college he was groomed for his scoring because he was bigger than most players he faced.  In the pro's he will get burned a bit,  but he will learn.  Nice pick Danny. 

Replies section 7706/28/2013 09:38 AM

His game is nothing like either Dirk or Morrison. You might as well try to compare him with rondo.

Put away the crying towel. Just because others disagree with you it does not mean you were "laughed off the board".  Do you look forward to reading posts that shows that your points of disagreement were wrong? Let it ride.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

Someone needs to tell him to wrap those ankles!  His shoes are so low, everytime he lands Im just waiting for....(dont want to jinx him.)

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He might not be a super athletic defender but, he has great hands on both sides of the ball and has very solid defensive fundamentals and will be a good team defender. Just because your 7 feet doesn't mean you have to be a phenom shot blocker to be a solid defender. I have noticed a few habits that will serve him well in the NBA, he doesn't absorb contact by using his hands, he sets himself wide and uses angles to make up for his lack of foot speed and he doesn't go for the same move twice. I don't think he'll ever be a shot blocker but I do think he will get a lot more steals than most bigs.

[/QUOTE]

He doesn't have to be a shot blocker, and I'm certainly not slamming the guy, I think he is showing a lot of promise and I'm very excited about the pick. I'm just saying their are weaknesses too. He has a short wingspan, which will let people shoot over him and he, moves side to side very slowly which will hurt him in pick and rolls. 

In the end I think the strengths will out weigh the weaknesses. I'm just pointing out what I've seen to a degree and what scouts have pointed out. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

this is typical Boston fans who jump on early and very limited success and blow things way out of proportion.... I saw this on the Sox board with Middlebrooks when people were giving him nick names like Will the Thrill and others stupid names when the guy was in the league for a month or so.... well look at him now... Anyway, lets see how he does in the real NBA for at least a year to start comparisons with All Stars and hall of fame types.... Trust me, I think he has potential but I want to see his body of work for awhile before I get too giddy....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

KO is as solid a 3-game Summer league rookie as you're gonna see. That translates well moving forward. Yes, it is too early to start comparing him to legends, but it isn't too early to start looking for similarities that he may have with them in his game. Watching KO during the NCAA tourney, I couldn't help but hope to see the Celtics pick him up. I wasn't thinking about what round. I thought he was more mature, in control, and more effective than any of his competition during those games. He brings a type of presence and confidence and control that most 1st rounders just don't seem to have right away, if ever. I do feel strongly that KO will be a leader on the Celtics team, and maybe even a captain one day if it all works out. Who knows, he may end up having a positive effect on Rondo if DA decides to keep RR until the trade deadline. If he maybe influences a personality shift for the better in him, who knows???? Maybe a lot to ask, but hey, thats whats so nice about preseason, right? But for right now, I'd suggest that everyone kinda sits back and enjoys what he is doing and soak in what we may be watching. Who knows what he could have us talking about 3-5-years from now. I think the boy is already special and is only gonna get better and better. 6'11" men aren't supposed to be so smooth and have such balance and composure in their first few NBA level games. I say the 2 twos to move up were genius by DA, and we are all excited to see a kid who looks like the real deal for a change..........

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Holy cow...better than gasol?  He may have more range on his shot.  his movement is really clumsy in comparison.  He's scoring, and like bird he compensates with his brain, but he looks really awkward in his movement.  gasol is a very good defender and very coordinated for his size.

hes a nice pickup but he's no pau gasol and he's certainly no Larry bird.  But he's also no Greg kite either.  This board is so black or white.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4413148. Show user_4413148's posts

I'd be happy if he's prime Okur were they got him.