Celtics Trade Assets Diminished

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Celtics Trade Assets Diminished

I believe that Danny blew it.  Our only key trade assests - Pierce, KG, Rondo and Bradley - have all diminished considerably in value since the trade dealine.  

The time to have made a trade, especially for PP (or possibly even Terry as outside threat), was in Dec or Feb, prior to the playoff push.  Anyone who seriously thought the Celtics had a chance in h3ll advancing in the playoffs was delusional.  We needed to begin rebuilding then.     

Undoubtedly Danny was demanding more than offered for any of the above players in trade discussions and now he will get even less than originally offered.  Teams have more options to acquire or draft, rather than commit to our assets.  Bradley's play and stock declined considerably. Rondo suffered a serious injury knocking down his trade timing and value.  and teams will be less likely to commit to our over the hill players until playof time, in which case they will be yet another year older and possibly injured.

If we are able to trade any of these guys, we will get much less in return for them.  Few others on the team (other than Green) have any relevant trade value.

I consider Danny's failed negotiations a strategic blunder.  As a result, our rebuilding effort may take 2 years more than it should have...   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KennCelt53. Show KennCelt53's posts

Re: Celtics Trade Assets Diminished

In response to Eldunker's comment:

I believe that Danny blew it.  Our only key trade assests - Pierce, KG, Rondo and Bradley - have all diminished considerably in value since the trade dealine.  

The time to have made a trade, especially for PP (or possibly even Terry as outside threat), was in Dec or Feb, prior to the playoff push.  Anyone who seriously thought the Celtics had a chance in h3ll advancing in the playoffs was delusional.  We needed to begin rebuilding then.     

Undoubtedly Danny was demanding more than offered for any of the above players in trade discussions and now he will get even less than originally offered.  Teams have more options to acquire or draft, rather than commit to our assets.  Bradley's play and stock declined considerably. Rondo suffered a serious injury knocking down his trade timing and value.  and teams will be less likely to commit to our over the hill players until playof time, in which case they will be yet another year older and possibly injured.

If we are able to trade any of these guys, we will get much less in return for them.  Few others on the team (other than Green) have any relevant trade value.

I consider Danny's failed negotiations a strategic blunder.  As a result, our rebuilding effort may take 2 years more than it should have...   

I was hopeful Danny's gamble to stay pat would win out, but it didn't and now the Celtics face an uncertain future with luck being there best asset. They have too many aging stars, too many players recovering from serious injuries and too many gambles on contracts that have yet failed to pay off. With luck they can find suitors willing to take as they give us an up and coming player on which to build . Maybe Danny gets lucky in the draft and picks someone that becomes an allstar in a couple of years. We are in full rebuilding mode. Will it be a short time or a long time to rebuild. This is an important offseason. Be dynamic, Danny!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

To listen to DA.... doc is our most valued asset... followed by injured/old players.

All hat.... no cattle!

DA seems to have played out the string and has bluff, bluster and some tired, puffed up ego to show for it.

Beyond that....  unless someone comes along dumber than dirt to gift this franchise....  EL  ZILCHO.

Pud 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

So with limited trade value, and given our limited Cap space, we could actually start next season with:  (C) Garnett/Wilcox;  (PF) Sully/Bass; (SF) Green/Pierce;  (SG) Bradley/Terry/Lee; (PG) Rondo/Bradley.

Doc will obviously sit Anyone drafted till at least 2/3 through the season... then exclude him from key touches.    

I will admit that Doc would be the best coach to get the maximum performance out of the tired old Vets, but how excited can anyone be about this team, that will most definitely finish last in the East?  

And now the most we get is a late first/early second draft pick or another bench player for Pierce at the trade deadline and Garnett retires at the end of the season and we get some Cap. BFD.  

If this is the outcome, Danny should be fired.  and Doc should be shown the door so a new coach will at least develop the young guys, to expidite rebuilding time.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KennCelt53. Show KennCelt53's posts

If the goal is win championships then the Celtics must rebuild.  Trying to field a team that will not go deep into the playoffs because of age and  injury uncertainty just makes it harder to retool your team and delays the inevitable. Still it will be hard to make trades with old men or injured players as your key assests.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

The doom and gloom here is a little over the top.   I see the same issues, but I also see the upsides of this team.  

First, its VERY difficult to get any stars in trade these days.  There are 5 or 6 players who can win a championship for you and most teams will NOT give up those players.  So, Lebron, Durant, Carmelo, Duncan, Parker, Mark Gasol, and others are NOT going to be traded no matter how many silly trade posts are started here.  

Howard and CP3 are the only difference makers left and neither was coming to Boston on their own or for anything we had post season.  Not sure I'd want Howard, anyway.

Then there's the next tier (players like Josh Smith who can't win where he is and is a poor shooting, bad judgement once a game highlight).   No player in that second tier (including Pau Gasol) is worth more than our current players.  Jeff Green and Rajon Rondo are as good as any second tier players and our future players are of value, as well.

Then there's the draft - when was the last time a top 5 pick was given to a team for a trade?  And - what player in the last few drafts made his team a championship quality team?

We have the following young players to build on:

Rajon Rondo, Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger

Backups:  Avery Bradley, Terrance Williams, Fab Melo, Jordan Crawford, Brandon Bass

Aging Vets:  Pierce, Garnett, and maybe Terry

If we get rid of Terry, Bass, and Courtney Lee and find one good player plus get a decent draft choice, that's not a bad team.  Pierce and KG will be gone in another year and we'll have another draft choice or two on the team.  With those assets, we have a good young team with the ability to package two or three of them to get a star like we did KG.  In addition, we'd have cap room at that point which allows us to get another free agent. That's our best chance at a championship quality team.  Takes two more years but with patience, we have some options.

All is not lost.  There are some options Danny can pursue.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:

The doom and gloom here is a little over the top.   I see the same issues, but I also see the upsides of this team.  

First, its VERY difficult to get any stars in trade these days.  There are 5 or 6 players who can win a championship for you and most teams will NOT give up those players.  So, Lebron, Durant, Carmelo, Duncan, Parker, Mark Gasol, and others are NOT going to be traded no matter how many silly trade posts are started here.  

Howard and CP3 are the only difference makers left and neither was coming to Boston on their own or for anything we had post season.  Not sure I'd want Howard, anyway.

Then there's the next tier (players like Josh Smith who can't win where he is and is a poor shooting, bad judgement once a game highlight).   No player in that second tier (including Pau Gasol) is worth more than our current players.  Jeff Green and Rajon Rondo are as good as any second tier players and our future players are of value, as well.

Then there's the draft - when was the last time a top 5 pick was given to a team for a trade?  And - what player in the last few drafts made his team a championship quality team?

We have the following young players to build on:

Rajon Rondo, Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger

Backups:  Avery Bradley, Terrance Williams, Fab Melo, Jordan Crawford, Brandon Bass

Aging Vets:  Pierce, Garnett, and maybe Terry

If we get rid of Terry, Bass, and Courtney Lee and find one good player plus get a decent draft choice, that's not a bad team.  Pierce and KG will be gone in another year and we'll have another draft choice or two on the team.  With those assets, we have a good young team with the ability to package two or three of them to get a star like we did KG.  In addition, we'd have cap room at that point which allows us to get another free agent. That's our best chance at a championship quality team.  Takes two more years but with patience, we have some options.

All is not lost.  There are some options Danny can pursue.

Agreed. Well stated. No Howard ever here in Boston please. No doom and gloom either I think. Just missed opportunities when the big 3 should have one at least won more championship and maybe a 3rd. That would have been great. I think winning the one was awesome, but they came up short for sure on at least 1 if not 2 more. No matter, it is what it is. This team is old with some strong young talent. If the old remains, and Doc remains, they just can't keep starting or playing all those minutes. I also agree that Terry, Bass and Lee court net you something in return. Of course you never not listen to other intriguing offers either. I do believe though the Cs must get younger and bigger.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

You can rationalize anything and I applaud you for your patience and Celtics devotion.  

But the fact is, with our current players, their trade value, our cap space, our draft position and our roster holes/needs, you SHOULD be feeling doom and gloom, unless Danny pulls-off a major off-season trade or you enjoy watching a team that will not be copmpetitive nor make the playoffs next year.

We had an opportunity to be better - faster and Danny blew it.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

Fact or opinion? do you have any prove of what was offered to Danny? Looks like you just tru a bunch of B.S.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I bet you felt doom amd gloom before KG and Ray arrived and we were losing.  I bet you also felt doom and gloom in 2012 when the C's limped through the season only to find themselves 5 minutes from the finals in game 7 vs the Heat.  Same for early this year when everyone said Green was overpaid and had no fire.  

Things can loop bad at which point you can see the positives and build on them (which is what Danny better do) or you can feel doom and gloom and dispair.  

Which do you choose?

Hang in there, my man.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

And by the way, I think Danny has made some big mistakes, especially with draft choices and moves with his big men.   But he also made some good moves so I'm not altogether down on him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

The NBA, by far, is the most difficult league to build a championship team because the talent it takes to win a championship is so rare.  Danny has annoyed me lately, but I believe he is one of the better GM's in the league.  Yes, he held onto Pierce and Garnett too long.  He seems to have developed a fascination with 2 guards lately - Terry, Crawford, and he spent all summer last year trying to land Courtney Lee.

I think he is overall a good drafter.  Yeah, he's missed some, but he also hit some homeruns and I don't know too many other GM's who consistently find value in the second round as he does.

If Rasheed Wallace hadn't decided to coast his way into retirement, we may have got a second championship out of this group.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

The NBA, by far, is the most difficult league to build a championship team because the talent it takes to win a championship is so rare.  Danny has annoyed me lately, but I believe he is one of the better GM's in the league.  Yes, he held onto Pierce and Garnett too long.  He seems to have developed a fascination with 2 guards lately - Terry, Crawford, and he spent all summer last year trying to land Courtney Lee.

I think he is overall a good drafter.  Yeah, he's missed some, but he also hit some homeruns and I don't know too many other GM's who consistently find value in the second round as he does.

If Rasheed Wallace hadn't decided to coast his way into retirement, we may have got a second championship out of this group.

Rasheed truly stunk it up all year during the regular season.  But in the playoffs, we can't blame it on him.  We got to the game 7 against the Lakers and he was our best big man, someone the Lakers were unable to stop.  So, I can't blame him for that year.  I only blame the blind luck of Perk getting hurt so that we lost some of our size against a very big team.

Don't you think Sheed had a good Championship series?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Rasheed truly stunk it up all year during the regular season.  But in the playoffs, we can't blame it on him.  We got to the game 7 against the Lakers and he was our best big man, someone the Lakers were unable to stop.  So, I can't blame him for that year.  I only blame the blind luck of Perk getting hurt so that we lost some of our size against a very big team.

Rasheed only scored in double figures once in the Finals.

But in Game 7 of that 2010 Finals, Sheed had 8 rebounds while KG only had 3.

Correct.  KG led in points (along with Pierce) but not rebounds.  Sheed only started one game and in that game he played well.  In the other games, he played sub minutes and did well in those minutes as well as BBD who played well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

You can rationalize anything and I applaud you for your patience and Celtics devotion.  

But the fact is, with our current players, their trade value, our cap space, our draft position and our roster holes/needs, you SHOULD be feeling doom and gloom, unless Danny pulls-off a major off-season trade or you enjoy watching a team that will not be copmpetitive nor make the playoffs next year.

We had an opportunity to be better - faster and Danny blew it.   

Really, we don't know what trades where out there

Rumor was we offered Pierce for Harrison Barnes and got turned down

KG came out and said he wanted to be buried in Green, he has a no-trade clause, it didn't seem like the Clips trade could have happened

Danny certainly would have tried to turn 1 of Lee, Bradley and Terry into a big after the Darko experiment failed... but then Rondo and Barbosa got hurt and the team needed guards.

Basically the players probably have around the same amount of trade value as they did during the regular season. There is less cash owed to them overall and during free agency and after the draft is always a better time to make trades that fit a roster/chemistry better and players can have a whole training camp

Bass and Terry actually have more value now than in February. Lee has less. Bradley, Pierce and KG have about the same.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

He played better in the playoffs, but was a real dog in the regular season.  If he played better during the regular season, then maybe the Celtics wind up with home court for the finals.  Who knows?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

He played better in the playoffs, but was a real dog in the regular season.  If he played better during the regular season, then maybe the Celtics wind up with home court for the finals.  Who knows?

It really was amazing how Rasheed disappeared.  He went from being the most prized free agent catch of the off-season to being barely a rotation player by the time the playoffs began.  He was a dog - no two ways about it.