Celtics vs. Magic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

Re: Celtics vs. Magic

In response to Petey62's comment:
    [QUOTE]

System or no system, Jeff Green is NOT a threat from beyond 18 feet.  Sully, AB nor Oly are threats from beyond 18 feet.  That's part of this system's problem.  It allows for guys like Sully and Oly and Fav to hoist up ill-advised, low percentage 3-pointers.  None of those guys are consistent enough to be effective using that s-h-o-t as part of any offensive system.

And anyone who things Pressey can s-h-o-o-t is delusional.  AB also is not a consistent enough s-h-o-o-t-e-r for a system like the Knicks that encourage hoisting up 3's.

There is no Celtics player capable of being a decent 3-point percentage s-h-o-o-t-e-r that would make Steven's system effective.

You have a guy like Sully who is capable of going for 25 and 20.  He needs to LIVE in the post - his post game is THAT GOOD.  There is no reason in no system that he should be asked to do anything else.  For that reason, we see too many games like today's 8 points and 8 rebounds.

[/QUOTE]

i mostly agree, but Sully doesn't have many "moves" once he gets the ball. his reaction plays are as good as anybody i can remember, but he appears to have that Antoine Walker-type need to show that he can do everything, especially with the 3's. so far it's been minimal and when he tosses up a 3 that clangs or gets nothing but air, he does seem to take the hint and refocus. so mostly good signs there.

but he really does need to develop some post moves. there is no excuse for any relatively big man not to develop a baby hook at the very least. maddening that so few bother.

and the team definitely needs someone who can just plain s-h-o-o--t (now i understand all the hyphens. lmao) the rock.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to chetgnat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

System or no system, Jeff Green is NOT a threat from beyond 18 feet.  Sully, AB nor Oly are threats from beyond 18 feet.  That's part of this system's problem.  It allows for guys like Sully and Oly and Fav to hoist up ill-advised, low percentage 3-pointers.  None of those guys are consistent enough to be effective using that s-h-o-t as part of any offensive system.

And anyone who things Pressey can s-h-o-o-t is delusional.  AB also is not a consistent enough s-h-o-o-t-e-r for a system like the Knicks that encourage hoisting up 3's.

There is no Celtics player capable of being a decent 3-point percentage s-h-o-o-t-e-r that would make Steven's system effective.

You have a guy like Sully who is capable of going for 25 and 20.  He needs to LIVE in the post - his post game is THAT GOOD.  There is no reason in no system that he should be asked to do anything else.  For that reason, we see too many games like today's 8 points and 8 rebounds.

[/QUOTE]

i mostly agree, but Sully doesn't have many "moves" once he gets the ball. his reaction plays are as good as anybody i can remember, but he appears to have that Antoine Walker-type need to show that he can do everything, especially with the 3's. so far it's been minimal and when he tosses up a 3 that clangs or gets nothing but air, he does seem to take the hint and refocus. so mostly good signs there.

but he really does need to develop some post moves. there is no excuse for any relatively big man not to develop a baby hook at the very least. maddening that so few bother.

and the team definitely needs someone who can just plain s-h-o-o--t (now i understand all the hyphens. lmao) the rock.

[/QUOTE]

If a player is big and long enough, you can just dump the ball in the post to get your offense going.  Otherwise, you have to create motion for players to get good post position with proper passing angles and multiple options.  And for drivers, you have get the driving lanes to open up momentarily.

The team is just too limited to break down a disciplined defense.  Lack of outside threat, post presence and driving ability all contribute to problems.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's what I've been trying to say.  I hate Oly and Sully s-h-o-o-t-i-n-g 3s.  That is a recipe for losing and for some TANKING. This team is not good at any position right now I don't care what the "system" is.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

I love this team. Competitive, but not enough to lose Embiid.

Rondo's turnovers really helped down the stretch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:
    [QUOTE]

5 Things Celtics must do to win tonight - Magic 1/19

After blowing a huge lead to the Lakers on Friday, the Celtics will, yet again, look to begin their run to the playoffs tonight when they head down to Orlando for a battle with the 10-30 Magic. Now, looking at their record, I'm assuming that the Celtics are the better team here, although I still don't think they'll win. I mean, lately they've shown absolutely no interest in doing so, so why should I expect them to suddenly turn it around tonight? Anyway, now that I've said that, here's tonight's five things:  

5. GIVE HUMPHRIES MORE PLAYING TIME: Against the Lakers, Kris Humphries, despite the fact that he's been awesome all year, played just 11 minutes, which severely limited his production. So yea, tonight Stevens really has to make sure he gets out there.  

4. KEEP LETTING OLYNYK SNOOT On Friday, Kelly Olynyk finally showed us how good he can be, leading the Celtics with 25 points on 11/17 shooting. I doubt he'll be able to replicate that performance anytime soon, but hey, why not let him try to?  

3. GET BETTER SHOOTING FROM GREEN: As always, Jeff Green couldn't buy a basket against the Lakers, scoring just a measly 4 points on 4/12 shooting. Now let's be honest, he probably won't turn it around tonight, but I have hope he can.   

2. GET MORE PRODUCTION FROM RONDO: In his first game back on Friday, Rajon Rondo unsurprisingly struggled, recording just 4 assists while scoring just 8 points. Now unlike Green, I think he'll turn it around tonight, but he's still gotta make sure I'm correct.   

1. FINISH STRONG: If this Celtics team could just keep it together in the fourth quarter, they'd have a lot more wins this season. But, since they haven't, I guess we just gotta hope they do tonight.   

Anyway, this one'll tip-off tonight at 6:00 pm ET. You can see it on CSN New England and FSN Florida. Enjoy it.

[/QUOTE]

this simply cannot be done with this lineup/roster and rondo having...........  rondo's miserably incomplete (for a point guard) skill set.  pierce, kg and allen were the lysol that this prima dona covered up his stink with.  now they're goine.  to create assists and lead this team you actually have to 1) hustle 2) drive the lane 3) draw fouls 4) UP the tempo 5) then once 1-4 are being done on a consistent basis you're assists will show up

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Before the season started, I listed 3 reasons why the Celts would be a lottery team.

1. No go to guy.

2. No rim protector like KG.

3. No 3-point shooters.

[/QUOTE]

Lets see if I can post from another PC (Anyone else not able to post since start of this season?).

The C are bad this season. But people here really overact to a few wins at the beginning of the season. If you follow the NBA, every year there are few horrible teams winning some games early on. Just with youth, hustle, enthusiasm and bad scouting (and effort) of the opponents. And then they come back to earth. Just think about the Magic last year.

We have no star player, are not well rounded (see points of fierce) and our GM sells all overachievers which doesn't fit the long time game plan. Lottery here we come. If someone still believe this team will win more games than last year...