Celtics weakness from 2010 NBA Finals still exposed!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticFan2005. Show celticFan2005's posts

Celtics weakness from 2010 NBA Finals still exposed!

If you review and look at the stats of 2010 NBA Finals, every team that won the battle of the boards won the game.  C's got out-rebounded really badly in Game 7 and we have seen so many games this year, where C's have had rebounding problems and are giving up way too many second chance points. 

With O'Neal brothers still struggling, Krstic/Green not being aggressive rebounders, I see an early exit for the C's, if this problem is not fixed soon.

Some short term solutions:

1. Have Green attack the boards like KG and Paul do
    2. Have the guards be aggressive on rebounds
    3. Block out the rebounder, use fundamental basketball skill

The quote from Riley: "No rebounds, No rings!" still holds good and this is the single weakness of this team.  If they are able to fix it, I think they can get #18 to Boston.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Re: Celtics weakness from 2010 NBA Finals still exposed!

Board crashing and not allowing 2nd chance points will decide how deep Boston goes into the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I cant explain it.   if I had to guess I would say maybe its because we have so many rotations defensively that if the other team can get more than 4 passes before a shot then we are probably scrambling on defense and a small guy is gonna be left rebounding with a big.  The other thing is K.G. is not rebounding the ball like he did early in the year when he was at 12-13 a game.  Kristic is not a leaper, but does a good job getting us 2nd chance points, but he just an average defensive rebounder.  Baby can board but also seems to make his hay on the offensive glass.  I think the other factor is we are a jump shooting team, so all of our players are spread out and near the arc, and teams have us going over their back to get boards.  It will take a concerted effort for everyone to do more and a greater commitment to work the ball inside and get closer looks instead of our big 3 jacking up jumpers all day.  I hope with rest the attack formation will change in the playoffs..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Green had 7 boards against Phily as did Paul. I think those two lead the team. The team out boarded Phily by one. If this team outrebounds any other team I'll take it. But this is a problem that will haunt Boston unless they can do a better job on the boards. Also, there has been so many occasions where Boston has played great D only to be killed by second chance points. Lack of hustle, lack of focus, not quick enough to the ball? I don't know. I do know has got to be corrected. I believe a championship hinges on these 2 problems.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I posted this elsewhere but most of it discusses the issues you guys say above re: rebounding. And I agree as you'll read it's essential if we want #18. But some of the tactics you describe could/will initiate fouls on us and that killed us in Game #7. In addition to the agressiveness of our 6'7" -6'8" players we still need the heights of Shaq & JON. KG has it but he's older & not a pounder under the basket & doesn't put many rebounds back in in dunks. His choice is always jump shots so unless we can win the rebound battle, we live or die on the outside shooting of KG, Allen & Pierce who infrequently even drive to the basket.

I'm reading in many posts that defense is not our problem.  It was said we needed offense and Jeff Green is the big plum in the trade to hopefully provide that.  However, we lost Game #7 last year not only because of disparity in fouls but we were out rebounded and without Perk and only lost by 4 points. One of the reasons given for so many fouls was that we were tired and grabbing. The big 3 won 2 years before but in 2010 they were 2 years older. I'm hoping that 2010 was not their last hurrah. But now they are even one more year older so I would not have traded Perkins. Keep in mind we did not trade him because we acquired JON first & then Shaq. We got them because Perk was injured and recovering. So, we could have kept ALL THREE !!! Jeff Green fine for the future but with big 3 now 3 years older than when we won, this was the year to go after # 18 with Perkins and we wouldn't have been so desperate worrying about the health of Shaq. Deal with Perk's contract after the title & if he left or we wished him to leave, start our rebuilding program & maybe go after Jeff Green for 2012.  How many more productive years do you think we have from the Big 3.

Let me address comments about our defense is OK but our offense is not.  Painful, as I live in SF(former New Englander) &  watch more Golden State games vs Lakers who usually win, to type the following as I am a long time Celtic fan going back to Cousy/Sharman days & I hate the Lakers.

How about stats in Game 7. Want to see evidence of poor offense. Lakers shot 32.5% ( we did a bit better 40.8%). Their guy who walks on water, Avatar Kobe shot a pathetic 25% (6 for 24). Even with the disparity in foul shots of 37 to 17, they made 25 or 67.6% while our 15 was 88.2% of the meager 17 we were awarded. With 20 more foul shots they only got 10 more points and for an NBA champion to shoot 50% only of the extra gifts is pathetic. But, losing by 13 points, the Lakers  scored 30 points in the fourth and only made 6 of 16 ( 12 points) but with 21 foul shots---remember we only got 17 for the whole game---they got an extra 16 points to make the 30. And to think we only lost by 4 pts. I'm still sick about this robbery !!!

But, now to the point of despite the Lakers' poor offense, they won. Their Offensive rebounds were 23 vs our 8 and Defensive were 30 vs our 32 so they totaled 53 to our 40 or 13 more. Do you not think if we had Perkins for Game 7 we would have had more rebounds. Their 23-8 or +15 offensive rebounds despite their poor shooting allowed 1-2 extra shots. Kobe, Gasol, Odom, Bynum, Artest, Fisher are not going to miss 2-3 in a row. Wouldn't we like Allen, Pierce & Garnett extra shots ?

If a team can hit 50% outside the paint, there are only 1/2 as many rebounds to worry about. And we shot well in other games. I mean Allen broke the record for 3s in game 2 but in game 7 I think he only shot 3 for 14 or 21%. I mean just 1-2 more baskets & we'd have probably won & with extra rebounds, he'd have had the chance.

So, and I'm not trying to be a Monday morning quarterback but I think we should have kept Perkins & gone after # 18 this year. And with JON & Shaq too we would not need worry about one fouling out. Ok, hope Shaq returns healthy & JON gets more & more into retuning to play productively both on offense & defense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Rebounding was a weakness. But the one I noticed more than a playing weakness was a mental weakness.

Game 6. Celtics should have played that game if their lives depended on it. They played with an attitude of there is always game 7 and we'll win that if we need to.

The 2008 team didn't take their foot of us for the whole series. It was 4 - 2 but in actuality it was more of a sweep. However this attitude was lost by 2010. The 2008 team would have approached game 6 in last years series differently. Was surprised by how flat they were.

IMO that was the major weakness from last years finals from the Celtics. Not physical but mental. I haven't seen enough games this year to see if that has been addressed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Once again another "worthy" post.....I concur 100%

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Rebounds are important but defense wins rings. We ran out of gas but most importantly blew game 3 last year. If we had won that game which we should have in Boston the series ends in five games and would never have even gone back to LA.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Woulda, coulda, shoulda but they didnt.

Cant cry over spilled milk (unless we're talkin about the cheating refs in game 7), the Celts have their chance. 

Our bigest problem with the Lakers was stopping Gasol & BYnum from playing volleyball with every shot that went up.  Even the legendary Perkins couldnt stop that all series. KG being 75% didnt help either...remember all his attmepted one hand rebounds?

With a little luckm that will change this year if both teams make it to the finals.

Two big, strong 7' dudes in the ONeal bros will help alot. A healthy KG  will make a huge difference against Gasol... The add Kristic & Baby as the second brigade. More than enough beef to deal with the Lakers frontline imo.

Also ouoffense kept boggiing down cause we were short on bodies  and we also had the 3 on 5 basketball offense going.. Ya know the one wjhere nobody has to guard Rondo & Perk cause they cant throw the ball in the ocean?  Now our center position is a scoring threat...  and Rondo will still br unguarded but at least now it appears hes capable of making teams pay for it... lets hope his jumper stays decent

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Rebounding for this team has been an issue for some time now. 

Green, Pierce, and Rondo need to scrap for boards come playoff time and I know each will. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

The Celtics had two weaknesses in last year's Finals: Lack of size on their frontcourt and lack of a perimeter game outside of Pierce and Allen. Not many people talk about the latter. Back in '08 Boston had a great ability to stretch defenses with guys like Posey, Cassell, PJ Brown, and of course Allen and Pierce. This year's Celtics have: Allen, Pierce, West, Krstic, Murphy, Arroyo, Wafer, and Green. Boston's committee of Centers allows for Boston to throw a bunch of fouls negating anybody's strength in this area. The game has changed. Centers are not as important as they used to be...I like Boston's chances..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Game 7 was within their hands.  They had a 13 point lead and just could never get over the hump.  I felt that if it would have gone to 15 or 17 they would have demoralized the Lakers.  It was tough to see the lead slip away.  Bottom line the Celtics despite free throw disparities, lack of height, missed shots, they were plain just out of gas.  It should have never gone to game 6 or 7.  They should have beat them down in game 3 or with momentum from wins in 4 and 5 should have won in 6 at the Staples Center. But there were some phantom calls called against the Celtics in the 4th quarter and no calls when the Celtics took it to the basket.  There was one were Gasol clearly fouled KG, but the refs swallowed the whistle.  Its neither here nor there now.  Redemption time.  The fire should still be burning from that loss to fuel them to banner 18.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I agree , if /when we were to see the Lakers again for a title...this group would put up the performance of thier lives, as long as they have the energy.  Im hoping in the early rounds we can lean on Green off the bench so K.G. isnt tired out. You can be mad as you want, but if you got nothing left it dont matter. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

We have not seen our playoff defense or offense yet, play two or three games and we will  have a better understanding.  We were playing much worse last year at this time and we had Perk and Wallace.

16. This post has been removed.