Celts Sign Jarvis Varnado

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: Celts Sign Jarvis Varnado

Just going off what his teamates, coaches and Dleague announcers said during/after the game. He hasn't been getting big or consistent minutes. Joseph was quoting saying that Melo hasn't been doing all that he could up to this point because he was tentative, and not fully acclimated yet.

My point is that he is starting to get comfortable, and that is the first step towards absolute domination of the D-league. Let me ask you, do many NEW players in the NBA or NBADL show minimal production from minimal minutes and then their first breakout game, BREAK RECORDS?! Is that usually just an anomally? *cough* lebron james *cough*

Its not definitive proof that he is NBA ready, but its a sign towards the right kind of progression, and if a record breaking triple double is his first sign ... I think that warrantys giddiness towards the future!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Never heard of him but interested to see what he can do. We need someone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Cant get too excited.. afterall hes been playing in the D league so ya think we got a steal or something?? ... cant wait to see how/if Doc uses him

Only positive could be playing him in Bass's spot.. maybe he knows how to rotate and keep an eye on his opponent.. and pick up a few boards and blocks along the way. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

If he can play bigger than Bass, then it will be a big help.

I wish people would stop poo-pooing every move the Celtics try to make. We can't go and sign/trade for an All-NBA guy. We have a full roster so it's going to take giving up someone that's in the rotation or Rondo to get a stud frontline guy.

If we can find some hidden gems like the Spurs do it would really help. The only problem is DOC DOESN'T PLAY ANYONE besides the same 7-8 guys. It's frustrating.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:
    [QUOTE]

If he can play bigger than Bass, then it will be a big help.

I wish people would stop poo-pooing every move the Celtics try to make. We can't go and sign/trade for an All-NBA guy. We have a full roster so it's going to take giving up someone that's in the rotation or Rondo to get a stud frontline guy.

If we can find some hidden gems like the Spurs do it would really help. The only problem is DOC DOESN'T PLAY ANYONE besides the same 7-8 guys. It's frustrating.

[/QUOTE]

A reasonable person would view Dannys history of in-season pickups and determine whether its likely he will find a hidden Gem... if that miracle takes place, we have to pray for miracle #2 that Doc doesnt  either run him out or rot him on the bench

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I am very sure,  just my opinion of course,  that if Sully played for say the Bobcats,  he would be in the running for ROY.  If he had the minutes  he would be double digiit rebounds, and probably points as well.  And yes the Bobcats would still be losing.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

He plays like an assertive version of J. Johnson! 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Varnado reminds me of Wilcox.

Anything he can provide would be a help at this point.

[/QUOTE]

Have you seen him play a game?

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I think it is clear that Danny could not make a trade for Gortat of a big man with what we have to trade.  This means in January we will have to decide to trade players we were hoping not to lose.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brawny27. Show Brawny27's posts

In response to Whendex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Me being from Kentucky I've watched a lot of this guy.

He is a shot blocking machine or was in college. I think this is a nice pickup for us off the bench.

[/QUOTE]

Yes!... If he plays!....could give the celtics just what they need

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Teach him to speak Polish  so we can pass him off as Gortat.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

On November 21, 2009, Jarvis Varnado became the SEC's all-time career block record holder with 413 total blocks in his career. This passed O'Neal's career block record of 412. On January 23, 2010, Varnado surpassed Adonal Foyle on the NCAA's Division I all-time career blocks list to become the second-leading shot-blocker. Needing 8 blocks for the record, Varnado became the NCAA's Division I all-time shot blocker against Alabama on February 24, 2010 passing Wojciech Myrda's record of 535 career blocks.

Jarvis Varnado is one of just two college players in history to achieve the 1,000/1,000/500 milestone (points/rebounds/blocks), the other being David Robinson.

Highlights.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiUU-RcE_2g

[/QUOTE]

Wow, I think I just saw the first 2 handed Block!  Looks nice, can we call him J.V. Swat!?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to concord27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it is clear that Danny could not make a trade for Gortat of a big man with what we have to trade.  This means in January we will have to decide to trade players we were hoping not to lose.

[/QUOTE]

what makes you think Danny tried to trade for Gortat?  Was there something besides our wish list on this board?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

any help at this moment is welcomed. Undersized or not...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to CHEisCHE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF JARVIS VARNADO IN THE CELTICS DISCUSSIONS...lately? Ainge knows --  the wannabe uninformed & has no idea what's on the mind of Mr. Ainge............ again !

Another leftover pick up - garbage in garbage out.

[/QUOTE]

You're also such a ray of sunshine!

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

People haven't mentioned that he was also a 2010 second round pick of the Miami Heat. It's not like he came from nowhere.