Re: Chris Paul wouldn't sign with the Celtics
posted at 11/30/2011 5:59 PM EST
While I believe CP3 wants to go to NYC with his buddies (and I understand why given the glamor of NYC, the endorsements, playing with superstar friends, etc), I don't believe we've really heard HIM say he absolutely won't go to the C's. If, after Dec. 9, Danny had a chance to talk to him and his agent and to lay out a plan that included:
- the C's current "old" roster is still a good team
- to that team, add Paul and Green and a couple of rookies
- once the season is over, the team has the most cap room of all the glamourous contenders (meaning the Knicks, Heat, and Lakers). Only the Nets can compete in cap room.
- so, we can attract Howard
- in addition, we have the best ability to offer CP3 the most money to re sign.
- add to that the 2 first round draft choices Danny is stocking
- add to that Ray, Paul, and KG possibly coming back for a "bridge year" as CP3, Howard, Green and the new crew take over
- add to that the coach that was a point guard, understands CP3, and will make him even better than he is today, with defense to actually win a championship and not just make noise with offense and then lose
I'm not saying that sales pitch is a slam dunk. I'm just saying that until CP3 has heard it all, I'm not sure the door is completely closed. Maybe there's still a chance.
If not, we will have other options and a bright future, anyway!