College Prospects and Draft Update

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

College Prospects and Draft Update

Some disappointments and some surprises.  I'm focusing less on PF because I think its highly unlikely that the C's draft that position and there are woefully few quality NBA ready PGs in this draft with the exception of Smart.  I think the Harrison's should both stay at Kentucky for another year, Seldon should stay at Kansas and Gordon play another year at AZ.  They all need more development and should be top picks next year draft. Can't comment on Exum but given his reputation and expectations if he enters the draft should go in the top 8 and if DA picks him I'm a believer too.

1. Parker:  19.8 PPG - 7.6 RPG  and strong D should be a lock as the #1 pick.

2. Randle:  17.4 PPG - 11 RPG but questionable D or

2. Smart:   17.5 PPG - 5 RPG/5 APG/3 SPG .strong character / leadership selected as #2 depending on team needs.

4. Wiggins: 15.3 PPG - 5.4 RPG and good D  

5. Embiid:   10.5 PPG - 7.2 RPG / 2.5 BPG .very high cieling and a big man. thats gold.   

Then things get a bit muddled with a flood of good SFs a Celtics need position IMO.

Young (Ken): 14.6 PPG - 4.6 RPG

Gordon:        12.3 PPG - 8 RPG and good D

McDermott:   24.3 PPG - 7.3 RPG (but a F tweener in weak league)

Fair (Syr)      17.2 PPG - 5.6 RPG

Gordon (Syr)

Hood (Duke) 18.5 PPG - 5 RPG

Saric:           Intl

I am not impressed with Ross (OSU), Robinson lll (Mich) or Dekker (Wisc) unless they are available at 20+ something pick.

NEW NAMES I'M WATCHING:

Randle:  freshman PG Stanford 19 PPG

Wilcox:  6'5" SG WA 19.8 PPG, pure long range shooter and good D

Nelson:  6'4" SG Or St. 21 PPG

My Updated Celtics draft wish list:

First pick:

With a top 5 pick - Any of the above projected top 5 picks except Randle.  Prefer Parker, Smart, Embiid then Wiggins, in that order.  

With a 6-10 pick:  Exum (G), Hood (SF), Young (SF), Gordon (F) Saric (SF), in that order. 

Probable first round pick = Embiid

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Re: College Prospects and Draft Update

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some disappointments and some surprises.  I'm focusing less on PF because I think its highly unlikely that the C's draft that position and there are woefully few quality NBA ready PGs in this draft with the exception of Smart.  I think the Harrison's should both stay at Kentucky for another year, Seldon should stay at Kansas and Gordon play another year at AZ.  They all need more development and should be top picks next year draft. Can't comment on Exum but given his reputation and expectations if he enters the draft should go in the top 8 and if DA picks him I'm a believer too.

1. Parker:  19.8 PPG - 7.6 RPG  and strong D should be a lock as the #1 pick.

2. Randle:  17.4 PPG - 11 RPG but questionable D or

2. Smart:   17.5 PPG - 5 RPG/5 APG/3 SPG .strong character / leadership selected as #2 depending on team needs.

4. Wiggins: 15.3 PPG - 5.4 RPG and good D  

5. Embiid:   10.5 PPG - 7.2 RPG / 2.5 BPG .very high cieling and a big man. thats gold.   

Then things get a bit muddled with a flood of good SFs a Celtics need position IMO.

Young (Ken): 14.6 PPG - 4.6 RPG

Gordon:        12.3 PPG - 8 RPG and good D

McDermott:   24.3 PPG - 7.3 RPG (but a F tweener in weak league)

Fair (Syr)      17.2 PPG - 5.6 RPG

Gordon (Syr)

Hood (Duke) 18.5 PPG - 5 RPG

Saric:           Intl

I am not impressed with Ross (OSU), Robinson lll (Mich) or Dekker (Wisc) unless they are available at 20+ something pick.

NEW NAMES I'M WATCHING:

Randle:  freshman PG Stanford 19 PPG

Wilcox:  6'5" SG WA 19.8 PPG, pure long range shooter and good D

Nelson:  6'4" SG Or St. 21 PPG

My Updated Celtics draft wish list:

First pick:

With a top 5 pick - Any of the above projected top 5 picks except Randle.  Prefer Parker, Smart, Embiid then Wiggins, in that order.  

With a 6-10 pick:  Exum (G), Hood (SF), Young (SF), Gordon (F) Saric (SF), in that order. 

Probable first round pick = Embiid

[/QUOTE]

I hope for the C's sake that they do NOT wind up getting to pick during the first 5 rounds.  I think they'll play it safe with Saric if they land in that 6-10 spot bracket.

http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2014/mockdraft

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to MitchUnderpants' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hope for the C's sake that they do NOT wind up getting to pick during the first 5 rounds.  I think they'll play it safe with Saric if they land in that 6-10 spot bracket.

[/QUOTE]

Euro player at 6-10 is a safer pick than top 5 picks?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJandHondo. Show KJandHondo's posts

In response to scubber's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MitchUnderpants' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So you want Iverson over Embiid and Saric over any top 5? What is going on here??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mossad-did-911. Show mossad-did-911's posts

C's have two SF's (Wallace and Green) under contract for 2 more season each. On the other hand their is only one guard (Rondo) under a guarenteed contract for 2014-15. I think Center is also a bigger position of need than SF.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Center is the biggest need that the Celtics currently have, but there are probably no college big men ready to become starters and make a team appreciably better by the start of next season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

most rookies today are TWO year projects at best.

we all need to keep that  in mind.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

I want 1 of the 3, Embiid, Parker, or Smart. Prefer Embiid or Parker. After that, take the best available player with Hawks/Nets pick. WCS would be nice if we miss out on Embiid. But I don't see him staying on the board for our 2nd pick. I like Selden too, but I'm not sure if he's going to be in this draft. I saw a mock draft for 2015, and it had "Wayne Selden" listed. ? I'm not high on Hood, Harris, or Gordon at all. I wouldn't mind taking Randle and trading Sully/Kelly if my other picks are gone. He, Jabrari, and Smart are the most polished in this draft IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

I know nothing about college players, but from descriptions, Embiid and Wilcox would be my goal to fill a need with talent and skill set.  A pure outside shooter that can play D(ray Allen?) is the teams biggest need outside of C.  I have no problems also getting a SF, as JG is not an ideal long term option in my mind.  Rondo and sully are my building blocks, but even sully could be traded in a Love type trade if that arose.