Come playoffs, we will miss Perkins severely

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Come playoffs, we will miss Perkins severely

DaCeltics,
    Perk in no way resembles Parish. Parish was great scorer and double figure rebounder.   To say Perk is like Parish is to say Eddie House is like Ray Allen.

Then to say you are worried about foot speed with Shaq, Jermaine, and Kristic versus Perk is even more ludicrous.  Perk is one the slowest players I have ever seen in the NBA.  Watch him sometime he is in slow motion.

Perk was not useless but was severely limited player.  His game could not be improved due to his lack of ability plain and simple.  I get  Perk would have helped in game seven but Kristic, Jermaine, or Shaq would have helped a lot more.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

What's the use of Perk if he's not going to be in the game in the last 5 minutes of the game? 

Perk was valuable but not to the point where he became as valuable as the Big 3 and Rondo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

The Celtics won a championship being a defensive team first, and defense still defines this year's version of the Celtics.

Shaq is still an offensive threat, but he is a liability on defense. When he is not a statue, he is in foul trouble. Jermain is, well, undependable at best, and a financial drain at worst. Both are too slow to guard Howard, Duncan, and Bynum.

Krystic weighs less than Garnett and he was pushed around last night by Kaman, a good journeyman center. Against the best centers, he will not be a defensive threat, and he will be the focus of other team's offensive efforts as he was last night.

Baby can guard Howard, because he can't shoot from distance. However, he can not guard Bynum, or Duncan, because they both can shoot from distance.

It is not the Celtic record without Perk that matters, because we will not be playing the Bobcats or the Wizards in the finals. We will be playing the Lakers, the Spurs or the Mavericks. While we may still sign Murphy, or other bigs after buyouts, the Celtics will have a big defensive hole at Center without Perk against the Elite teams of the West. 

Can we make up the difference on offense? Maybe, but offense comes and goes while defense can be brought every night. Perk will be missed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

We clearly lost on defense but we also clearly gained on offense. Hopefully the gain in offense will outweigh the loss in defense, and i think it will.
    However, of course the MAJOR gamble is whether the O'neals will contribute significantly. I they won't we're screwed. If they will, we'll be fine.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Come playoffs, we will miss Perkins severely:
    [QUOTE]I've been watching sports long enough to smell trouble. This has all the makings of a premature destruction of a proven winning formula. Like the Bulls dropping Phil Jackson despite Jordan's warnings. Those Bulls were contenders until then.
    Posted by DaCeltics[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about????  The whole team left with Jordan.
    And now you just compared the significance of Phil Jackson to Kendrick Perkins.....  it almost seems like you want the C's to fail.

You're losing focus.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Come playoffs, we will miss Perkins severely : Another nut job!   You'll be proven wrong. 
    Posted by paul0[/QUOTE]

Can you make a post without insulting someone?

Doubt it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Perk equals Parish in his prime.

That was a joke, right?  Or are you Perk's brother or something?   

That comment is so far off that all Celtic fans consider it an INSULT to the Chief!   If Perk were half the Center Parish was, we'd all be celebrating at least one more championship because the Laker series would never have made it to game 7!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Come on Celtsfan4life, you're a pretty sharp dude... do you really think that guy thinks Perk = Parrish in his prime?? LOL

Sounds more like someone looking for a response. Nobody thats a serious basketball fan would make such a statement.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Fans, I appreciate that everyone has an opinion about this trade, but for those who want to claim this trade is a bad move......we should base our opinions on at least some facts and history.  Perk was slow, comical when he got the ball at times, in foul trouble a lot, and had stupid picks at inopportune times.   Balance that with the fact he was a good defensive rebounder and a great low post defender.   There's not way to know right now to know if Perk's strengths cannot be replaced and just how much we'll miss him.   For sure, we won't have that monster low post defender, but we'll have fewer dumb turnovers, have more points from the Center position (meaning less pressure on KG and Pierce and Rondo), and be slightly better at offensive boards.

Will we be a better team?  None of us knows for sure, yet.  We'll see.  But, let's give it a chance.  Doc is a great at bringing players into the system and Green is a flexible athletic player we didn't have (Quis is NOT as good at Green).  If Danny picks up another player, we could get even better (and I'm not a fan of that player being Murphy but if its him, I hope he adds something to the team).  Whoever it is, we'll have yet another tool.

Luke, Semih, Quis when hurt, and Nate basically were giving us nothing so we didn't give up anything other than Perk.  Is Green, Krstic, draft picks, and cap room worth more than Perk?  Yes.  

Let's give this trade and the new team a chance before pronouncing it a failure, especially since KG, Rondo, Ray, Paul, and BBD are all still in the same position they were before and they are the biggest parts of our winning.

The biggest gamble is Shaq's and JON's health.   Let's hope Danny knows something we don't on that front.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Come playoffs, we will miss Perkins severely : You didn't see the last night against the Clips?  Do not underestimate Nenad Krstic.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Bynum and the rest of the Lakers are pooping in their pants at the thought of facing Krstic. HAH!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

When we were all squabbling about whether and who we should trade, it seemed obvious to me and some other posters that "to get something you've got to give up something."  You seldom get something for nothing.
    Well, we did that.
    We gained something and we lost something.
    What's most apparent is we gained solid relief for PP and should have more offense coming from our 2nd unit.
    What we lost was a solid defensive presence in the paint and, whether it's obvious or not, some team chemistry.
    Buyouts may or may not help with shoring up our interior defense.  If we get Powe, maybe chemistry as well.
    Perk was an offensive liability much of the time.  But his defense is going to be missed.
    I'm shaky about this trade because we were playing well with him and he had been part of the Celtic system for so long.
    Maybe it helps us and maybe, come the playoffs we get burned by it.
    All I'm sure of at this point is it was a gamble done as much to address our future as it was to address this year's weakness at SF.
    Danny had one eye on this year and the other on the next year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The fact is Q is that the Celtics do not fear the Lakers as a team and cannot wait to get their revenge. The sad thing is we may not get the chance as your team won't make it to the finals.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

I think that most of us that question the trade have an open mind. Certainly Green has a bigger up side than Posey. He is a starter with multiple skills and talents, that will play a back up role at 3 and 4.

Krystic, while better offensively than Perkins, is obviously a target on defense, as the game last night showed. At 240 pounds he is lighter that either of our power forwards.

Lets hope KG is a defensive God that can make up for the defensive short coming of all the centers that the Celtics currently have, or will have after buy-outs.

This is a huge gamble by Danny. It may pan out, but why make it? The Celtics needed a back up for Pierce, not a replacement for Pierce.

The Price was high. The best defensive Center in the league on a team that lives and dies by defense. I hope it works. 

We all know that Perk was a liability on offense, but with a team that averaged more than 50% shooting, it did not matter. The Celtics still beat all of the elite teams except Dallas with and without Perk.

The danger is that we no longer have a defensive stopper at the center position. While this is not important against teams like the Heat, the Bulls, or the Mavericks, it is a significant handy-cap against teams like the Magic, the Spurs, and the Lakers. 

Danny is a gambler at heart. He may win, and he may lose. The question that I have is why? We did not need a Pierce replacement, only a backup.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Not a fan of the trade, however as much as we lost on d, we gained in offense and lineup flexibility. How many times have the celtics offense stalled in the 4th when perk and rondo were on the court? Thats why doc ends games with baby and not perk.
    The celtics can go small against the heat and bulls. And they can still go big against dwight with baby and shaq, who both historically have defended him well. The lakers do cause more of a problem  but they do against every team and they did when we had perk also.  This time around the lakers wont be able to clog the paint as much with nenad  and delonte's shooting ability.  When they go lamar and gasol we can match with green and kg. 
    When you factor in we werent gonna pay perk and we got 2 starters from a top team and a 1st round pick as well its a pretty good trade. It will be even better if shaq and jo can be healthy for the stretch run.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I wish we could all just forget about Perkins. HE IS GONE.  Nothing we can do about it other the cheer for the new guys. They will be successfu.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]I wish we could all just forget about Perkins. HE IS GONE.  Nothing we can do about it other the cheer for the new guys. They will be successfu.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]
    Hey oneonone, do you remember last year when Bill Walker got traded to the Knicks.  For the rest of the season, everytime he had a good game, his stats were all over the board.  Expect to hear about Perk and flak from this trade for the rest of this season AT A MINIMUM.
    Sorry, but it is what it is.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]DaCeltics, this season, the Celtics planned to have the center position filled by committee.  No one player was expected to take on the brunt of playing time.  And when the playoffs come, I see nothing changing in that strategy. Shaq, JON and Kristic (and any other center we may acquire) will all be counted on, by committee, to man the center spot and I think that makes that spot more flexible and, most important, deeper for the playoff run. Perk has a history of playing Howard tough but our team defense has alot to do with that too.  Baby also does a decent job on Howard too. I think we will be just fine in the playoffs.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

I hope that you are right.  We have to hope that Shaq and Jermaine are both healthy during the playoffs. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Come playoffs, we will miss Perkins severely : I'm sure Bynum and the rest of the Lakers are pooping in their pants at the thought of facing Krstic. HAH!
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

Gotta get through Perkins, Dirk and Duncan first - don't count your chix this year pal, you were 11-1 at home in last years playoffs.  5-5 on the road  - that won't happen this year!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Come playoffs, we will miss Perkins severely : Hey oneonone, do you remember last year when Bill Walker got traded to the Knicks.  For the rest of the season, everytime he had a good game, his stats were all over the board.  Expect to hear about Perk and flak from this trade for the rest of this season AT A MINIMUM. Sorry, but it is what it is.
    Posted by breaktime[/QUOTE]

Funny I saw Walker hit a three late in the game tonight and I thought about what it would be like to have him.  Go figure..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

[QUOTE]The Celtics won a championship being a defensive team first, and defense still defines this year's version of the Celtics. Shaq is still an offensive threat, but he is a liability on defense. When he is not a statue, he is in foul trouble. Jermain is, well, undependable at best, and a financial drain at worst. Both are too slow to guard Howard, Duncan, and Bynum. Krystic weighs less than Garnett and he was pushed around last night by Kaman, a good journeyman center. Against the best centers, he will not be a defensive threat, and he will be the focus of other team's offensive efforts as he was last night. Baby can guard Howard, because he can't shoot from distance. However, he can not guard Bynum, or Duncan, because they both can shoot from distance. It is not the Celtic record without Perk that matters, because we will not be playing the Bobcats or the Wizards in the finals. We will be playing the Lakers, the Spurs or the Mavericks. While we may still sign Murphy, or other bigs after buyouts, the Celtics will have a big defensive hole at Center without Perk against the Elite teams of the West.  Can we make up the difference on offense? Maybe, but offense comes and goes while defense can be brought every night. Perk will be missed.
    Posted by Jump-ball-overtime[/QUOTE]

Well said. Who says we get out of the East with this self inflicted wound?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Come playoffs, we will miss Perkins severely : Funny I saw Walker hit a three late in the game tonight and I thought about what it would be like to have him.  Go figure..
    Posted by OneOnOne[/Q

A back up 3. Would we still have Eddie House too?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Come playoffs, we will miss Perkins severely : Well said. Who says we get out of the East with this self inflicted wound?

You'll regret saying that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Come playoffs, we will miss Perkins severely : You'll regret saying that.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

Believe me, I don't want to be right about this.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

da celtics..

lol......

with a healthy shaq and jo..And them going 41-14 WITHOUT PERK...stop trying to be that internet tough guy....

AND THEY HAVE THE BIG 4...What they will loose to indi,LOL...char..LOL....stop the madness.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Come on Celtsfan4life, you're a pretty sharp dude... do you really think that guy thinks Perk = Parrish in his prime?? LOL Sounds more like someone looking for a response. Nobody thats a serious basketball fan would make such a statement.
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Yes, Karl, I was being silly last night.  My bad.