Comparison of Top PGs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Comparison of Top PGs

Statistically, Rondo comes in tied for 5th of the 8 top NBA PGs.  Of course this is a simple statistical comparison which cannot consider any subjective criteria which may have more weight and impact than comparing and ranking them in each of the basic catagories.

The question I have... is would you rather have a PG that was the best in certain catagories and worst in others (Rondo) or a PG that was reasonably capable and proficient in all catagories (Paul, Nash, Curry).

Players were ranked from 1 (best) to 8 (worst) in Points; Assists; Steals; Rebounds; Turnovers; 3pt%; FG%; and FT%. and then added for total score

1. Paul - 27   (first in steals tie with Rondo, fewest turnovers / no lasts)
    2. Nash - 30  (second in assists, FG% and FT% / last in steals)
    3. Curry - 31 (first in 3pt% and FT% / last in assists)
    4. Rose - 35  (first in scoring / last FG%)
    5. Tie Rondo and Westboork - 38 
    - Rondo (first in assists and tied first steals / last in PPG, Turnovers, FT%, 3pt%
    - Westbrook (first in rebounds / last FG%)
    7. Parker - 39  (first in FG%, last in rebounds)
    8. Williams - 40 (no firsts or lasts) 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

Re: Comparison of Top PGs

In Response to Comparison of Top PGs:
    [QUOTE]Statistically, Rondo comes in tied for 5th of the 8 top NBA PGs.  Of course this is a simple statistical comparison which cannot consider any subjective criteria which may have more weight and impact than comparing and ranking them in each of the basic catagories. The question I have... is would you rather have a PG that was the best in certain catagories and worst in others (Rondo) or a PG that was reasonably capable and proficient in all catagories (Paul, Nash, Curry). Players were ranked from 1 (best) to 8 (worst) in Points; Assists; Steals; Rebounds; Turnovers; 3pt%; FG%; and FT%. and then added for total score 1. Paul - 27   (first in steals tie with Rondo, fewest turnovers / no lasts) 2. Nash - 30  (second in assists, FG% and FT% / last in steals) 3. Curry - 31 (first in 3pt% and FT% / last in assists) 4. Rose - 35  (first in scoring / last FG%) 5. Tie Rondo and Westboork - 38  - Rondo (first in assists and tied first steals / last in PPG, Turnovers, FT%, 3pt% - Westbrook (first in rebounds / last FG%) 7. Parker - 39  (first in FG%, last in rebounds) 8. Williams - 40 (no firsts or lasts)   
    Posted by Eldunker[/QUOTE]

Totally meaningless to compare the categories as equal when they totally are not. Since when would you equate assists with 3 pt shooting percentage. You wouldn't have even posted it Rondo had come out first?

Are you suffering from Former point guard pathology like Dudder?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Great, another point guard-ranking thread......
    Guys, be original!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

Eldunker, once again you have ignored at least HALF OF THE GAME OF BASKETBALL.  I refer, of course, to DEFENSE, which many rate as more important than offense.  It's surprising that someone who is a Celtics fan would ignore defense, but there you are.

Defense is not just one thing in a list of basketball abilities.  There are as many, if not more, aspects to playing defense as there are in playing offense.  The problem, of course, is that no one has come up with an objective set of measure for defense (except steals, which, as know, Rondo excels at).

I think we should use the best available evidence of defensive ability to rank the PGs, and then have that ranking count for 50% of the players' overall ranking.

The best source for defensive ranking is, I suggest, the votes of the NBA coaches for 1st, second, third team All-Defensive honors.  Who knows more about the players than the guys who get paid millions to game plan against othe teams' players?

Let's start with Chris Paul.  Before his injury he was rated by the NBA coaches as the best defensive PG.  He appears to have fully recovered from his injury, so I'm willing to rank him at the top.  Rondo, however is the reigning top defender (as ranked by the NBA coaches) so I think we have to put him in a tie for first with CPaul. 

I'm sure we can agree that Steve Nash is the worst defensive PG in the league.
    And that neither Curry nor Rose is close to the top. Parker or Williams are both good defenders, with Williams having been chosen last year for the third team of the NBA All Defensive Team, so let's make him #3 and Parker #4, followed by Curry and Rose, with Nash last.

Result?  Chris Paul would still be rated #1 overall, but Rondo would move into second place, and the other six would follow.

Sounds about right to me.  How about you?