Congratulations to Kevin Garnett- Passes a Laker Alltime in Scoring

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Congratulations to Kevin Garnett- Passes a Laker Alltime in Scoring

Our defensive anchor tonight showed what he has been doing for years,  putting the ball in the hole.  He passed Jerry West for 15th place on the Alltime scoring list.

Well done Big Ticket!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: Congratulations to Kevin Garnett- Passes a Laker Alltime in Scoring

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

Our defensive anchor tonight showed what he has been doing for years,  putting the ball in the hole.  He passed Jerry West for 15th place on the Alltime scoring list.

Well done Big Ticket!!!

Great accomplishment by KG. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

You guys rather talk about the Lakers than 4 milestones reached by our team last night?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

As Pierce said, he is a once in a generation type player.

League MVP

Defensive player of the year.

All Star Game MVP

14 time all star

9 time all defensive first team

5 time all NBA first team

7 years scoring 20 points, 10 rebounds and 5 assists

1 year leading the league in total points

15th in career points

10th in career rebounds

and he is not done yet.

I didn't know that KG and Pierce played on the same AAU team, and that He stayed with Pierces family in LA while he played on the team. That is pretty cool.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

and one championship!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbostonceltics. Show bigbostonceltics's posts

west got be by a celtic again!i know he can't be liking that!all is well...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

In response to bigbostonceltics' comment:

west got be by a celtic again!i know he can't be liking that!all is well...

He definitely had a bad day.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to Jump-ball-overtime's comment:

and one championship!

That's the problem, only 1 championship!

Remember, Jerry West started playing in the NBA at the age of 22. 

Why is this significant?

KG started playing in the NBA at age 19.

Passing a Laker in career scoring is not a big deal.

Passing a Laker in all time greatness is a bigger deal than starting a thread on a Laker loss every time they lose.  How cann you say it not a big deal. Only 14 people ever,  ahead of him.  And yes to move a Laker down the list is icing on the cake.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Im not a big fan of all-time stats, for the most part... A decent player playing in the NBA for 20 yrs is gonna accumulate some stats. KG passed Jerry West on the scoring list but really, Ill never view KG, scoring wise, in the same breath as JW. 

But congrats to two great players that have given Celtic fans great moments.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

and one championship!

That's the problem, only 1 championship!

Remember, Jerry West started playing in the NBA at the age of 22. 

Why is this significant?

KG started playing in the NBA at age 19.

Passing a Laker in career scoring is not a big deal.

Well from KG's interview after the game, it sure ment something to him.

There are many great players that never win a championship because they are on poor teams. I am sure that Charles Barkey would love a championship.  I am sure that Karl Malone would love a championship.

Greatness is not defined just by championships but it helps.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

Im not a big fan of all-time stats, for the most part... A decent player playing in the NBA for 20 yrs is gonna accumulate some stats. KG passed Jerry West on the scoring list but really, Ill never view KG, scoring wise, in the same breath as JW. 

I suggest that you go to basketball reference.com and review his 2004 and 2003 seasons. You may change your mind.  KG is the only player in NBA history to go for 20/10/5 seven years in a row. Bird was second with five years. He also led the league in total points in 2004.

KG is a team player and scoring is not his main goal. Winning is his goal.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JG9000. Show JG9000's posts

and one championship!

well said. championships are the only stat that ever mattered for this great franchise. that said i love these two guys.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I suggest that you go to basketball reference.com and review his 2004 and 2003 seasons. You may change your mind.  KG is the only player in NBA history to go for 20/10/5 seven years in a row. Bird was second with five years. He also led the league in total points in 2004.

Review two seasons.. is that all?

Have to agree with fierce here,  youre trying to change my mind about comparing KG to JW, in terms of scoring... then go on to say scoring was not KGs main goal...

Well, scoring was a very big objective for JW and his Laker teams and he was one of the best ever. I dont know what all the stats add up to be, as you can manipulate them anyway u want.. but until you can make  a more convincing argument, Im sticking to my guns

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

That's really contradicting yourself.

First you tell us how great KG is because of his 20/10/5 stats for 7 years.

Then you tell us winning is his goal. 

Since you compared KG to Bird in terms of stats, 20/10/5, and if you compare KG to Bird, in terms of winning, then KG is a far second.

Seriously, you need to stop loving KG too much. 

Just 1 championship and 1 and MVP trophy. 

Still want to compare KG to Bird?

Not at all, As I said, many things are important for considering greatness. No one thing determines it. Statistics are a consideration, so are championships, and longevity of greatness.  Just because a player is lacking in some areas does not prevent them from being considered great. Larry Bird is my favorite player of all time. There has never been a clutch shooter to match him. If the game was on the line, Larry was the most dependable player ever. He may not have been a great defensive player, but who cares.

KG, Larry, and Russel have one great thing in common, they have all been team players first. Is KG better than Larry? No. Larry is the best small forward of all time and probably one of the top 5 players of all time. KG is probably one of the top 10 or 20 of all time.

If I were voting, I would put him above Duncan as the best power forward of all time for the simple reason that KG almost always won the match up head to head. If KG had been a Celtic from day one, it is likely that Duncan would not even be in the discussion. Duncan had the luck of being drafted by the Spurs, with the Admiral playing center and the best coach currently in the NBA. KG went to the Timberwolves? He should get points for being a pass first player and playing with nobodies and has beens.

If you don't like KG by now, I have to question your Celtic loyalty.

My list of the best power forwards is as follows:

1. KG

2. Duncan

3. Malone

4. Barkley

5. Mckale

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Review two seasons.. is that all?

Have to agree with fierce here,  youre trying to change my mind about comparing KG to JW, in terms of scoring... then go on to say scoring was not KGs main goal...

Well, scoring was a very big objective for JW and his Laker teams and he was one of the best ever. I dont know what all the stats add up to be, as you can manipulate them anyway u want.. but until you can make  a more convincing argument, Im sticking to my guns

I guess you did not go to basketball ref.

Too bad.

Greatness comes from more than one thing. KG has been a scorer but it is not the only thing that defines him, and as Doc said in an interview yesterday: If scoring had been the most important thing to KG it is likely that he would be setting the all time scoring record at this point.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

McHale ranks #3 on my list...he was better than Malone & Barkley in my opinion....

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

If I were voting, I would put him above Duncan as the best power forward of all time for the simple reason that KG almost always won the match up head to head. If KG had been a Celtic from day one, it is likely that Duncan would not even be in the discussion. Duncan had the luck of being drafted by the Spurs, with the Admiral playing center and the best coach currently in the NBA. KG went to the Timberwolves? He should get points for being a pass first player and playing with nobodies and has beens.

If you don't like KG by now, I have to question your Celtic loyalty.

My list of the best power forwards is as follows:

1. KG

2. Duncan

3. Malone

4. Barkley

5. Mckale

You're crazy!

I mean you're going to question my Celtic loyalty?

Where were you the past few months?

Everybody here knows I watch every Celtic game. 

You just showed up here again this week.

Yes, Duncan won 2 championships with David Robinson. But he also won 2 more without Robinson.

Duncan almost always won the head to head match-up? Are you nuts?

When KG was with Minny he only got past the 1st round 1 time.

KG needed 2 future hall of famers, Pierce and Ray Allen, to win a championship.

And does KG have a Finals MVP trophy?

I understand that it's your opinion so I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. But you questioning my Celtic loyalty is just you being a putzy!

There you go again trying to change the discussion to one where you can gain an advantage.

The original discussion was about the value of KG passing West, and his greatness. While he may not be Bird or Russell, he is certainly great. While you may not list him as the #1 power forward, to deny him his due, is less than worthy of a true Celtic fan. If you want to call your self something, or call me names, go ahead. I allow you to have the last word because it is so important to you.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

In response to Duke4's comment:

McHale ranks #3 on my list...he was better than Malone & Barkley in my opinion....

He certainly won more championships.

Fans from that time always had him behind Barkley in the East. However, he is my favorite after Bird and KG.