Bailey, one of our fellow Celtic fans, said the Lakers are not championship material but they are, in his words, "apt to be damned good".
I agree on the part where the Lakers are not championship material. But I disagree that they are "damn good".
Before I go any further, here's my list, below, of contenders and pretenders.
Contenders - Miami, OKC, and the Celtics
Pretenders - Lakers, Spurs, and the Knicks
Now back to the part why the Lakers are not that good.
1. They are not just old, they are the OLDEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE, BAR NONE!!!
2. No athleticism, except for Dwight.
3. Weak bench. (Jamison was no good 5 years ago, now that he's 36...)
4. No spot up shooters to complement the big men.
5. They have no coach, a clown is calling the shots.
The Celtics on the other hand are just one player away from being on the same level as the Thunder and the Heat. If the Celts can replace Bass with Josh Smith then the Celts will be legit contenders.
Maybe both the Lakers and Celtics will not win a championship this season. But one thing's for sure, the Celtics are already headed in the right direction by getting younger and more athletic.
The Lakers are in a win it now only situation with their old players.
Sooner than later, Celtic fans will celebrate another championship banner while Laker trolls are still waiting for Mike Clown to be fired.