Contraction/ Get rid of the two or three worst teams over the last few years!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Contraction/ Get rid of the two or three worst teams over the last few years!!

Here an idea that makes sense..Do we have a watered down league?
    ..Some think so.If your family budget gets blown, you cut back your spending(at least some of us do).
     .In business, when some of your branches or stores are not producing a profit, you close them! In sports or government, you expand and you spend more so you can get out of a whole.riiiiiight.???...
     Toronto, Washington, Cleveland, Sacramento, and Minnesota all have winning percentages below .300 this season. Among those teams, Washington is 1-33 on the road, and Cleveland may be the worst team of all time, losing an NBA-record 26 games in a row. These teams aren’t just bad—they’re historically bad. Contraction creates more competition for jobs and eliminates the league’s worst players, making every team better. There will always be bad teams in the NBA, but the worst teams in a 26-team league will always be better than the worst teams in a 30-team league.
    http://www.behindthebasket.com/btb/2011/3/29/simple-step-toward-improving-the-nbas-finances-contraction.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Contraction/ Get rid of the two or three worst teams over the last few years!!

Cleveland was the best or second best team in the East for 7 years in a row.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Re: Contraction/ Get rid of the two or three worst teams over the last few years!!

I would love to see contraction. The days when you could have a bench with Buckner, Wedman and Ainge are long gone, the quality has suffered.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Sacramento is looking to move,,the city is trying to do everything to keep them...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In Response to Re: Contraction/ Get rid of the two or three worst teams over the last few years!!:
    [QUOTE]Cleveland was the best or second best team in the East for 7 years in a row.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5[/QUOTE]
    BosoxJoe5, Thank You very much.  The Cavs have played 40 seasons (since '70-'71).  Lifetime they are 1540 wins and 1790 losses (.462%).  During the last 23 seasons they have gone over .500% during the regular season: 16 times and have gone to the Playoffs 14 times.  The Cleveland Cavaliers aren't even close to being one of the worst performing franchises.  In the last 23 years they have been one of the the above average performing franchises.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

I would agree with you that cleveland is an exception to that group...especially during the Lebrains period...Love to see cleveland win it before Miami...even when they lost like 21 in row..you could tell they were playing hard every night..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: Contraction/ Get rid of the two or three worst teams over the last few years!!:
    [QUOTE]If you want to talk about Toronto or New Orleans where there really is no fan base then I could understand your point here.
    Posted by DFURY13[/QUOTE]

Was going to reply that the two most likely candidates for contraction are Toronto and New Orleans.  I really believe that having less teams would make the league better overall and the talent wouldn't be so watered down.  Same could be said for the NHL, there are cities that have no business having a hockey franchise. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]I would agree with you that cleveland is an exception to that group...especially during the Lebrains period...Love to see cleveland win it before Miami...even when they lost like 21 in row..you could tell they were playing hard every night..
    Posted by Ortiz123[/QUOTE]

Agree Cleveland shouldn't be included in this group.  If their was ever contraction the teams that should be eliminated are teams with poor attendance and a losing record over the past few years.  I am not sure that it would happen, but I am sure that they would set certain criteria when deciding what teams would be eliminated.  Either way if this ever happened, it would be difficult for fans to accept it. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

but hold on now.....if we get down to 26 teams the league gets stronger...?  ...so if we made it 16 teams we would weed out many of the stiff's....?  and all of the remaining teams would be stronger? ......I wonder what an 8 team league would look like....?  hmmmmmmm

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsNot1966anymor. Show ItsNot1966anymor's posts

And just who would those 8 be?  If contraction were based on recent success (as in the last 25 years), then Lakers, Houston, Chicago, San Antonio and Detroit would all stay put.  The Knicks would probably stay simply because they're New York.  Boston would be fighting Philadelphia, Dallas and Miami to be among the 8 staying.

But you don't contract based on recent performance anyway because every team has its windows of opportunity.  The Kings were horrible for 15 years and then were very good for about 5.  In the last 8 years, even the Hornets, Wolves, Wizards and Clippers have enjoyed moderate success that their fans hoped would translate to something permanent.  2 years ago, Seattle/OKC would have been on the contraction list based on the criteria proposed above, and now OKC is very close to being legitimate contender. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Stern gets 500K per team per year....contraction ain't happenin'!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Doesn't Stern want the NBA to expand even further? I don't believe there's much chance of seeing too many teams fold.

However if I was in charge I'd remove a number of teams.

Sacramento
    Toronto
    New Jersey (Don't care who the Billionare owner is)
    Memphis
    The Clippers (LA doesn't need two teams)
    New Orleans (move them to Seattle)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

[QUOTE]Doesn't Stern want the NBA to expand even further? I don't believe there's much chance of seeing too many teams fold. However if I was in charge I'd remove a number of teams. Sacramento Toronto New Jersey (Don't care who the Billionare owner is) Memphis The Clippers (LA doesn't need two teams) New Orleans ( move them to Seattle )
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]
    Definitely agree on the final two.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Doesn't Stern want the NBA to expand even further? I don't believe there's much chance of seeing too many teams fold. However if I was in charge I'd remove a number of teams. Sacramento Toronto New Jersey (Don't care who the Billionare owner is) Memphis The Clippers (LA doesn't need two teams) New Orleans ( move them to Seattle )
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

I've heard TOR and SAC - NOH should go to SEA, and the Clips just need a new owner.  That having been said, there will be no contraction - the Weasel makes too much $$!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

A number of teams are supposedly losing money -- how and why is that?  Isn't that the primary reason for the whole labor dispute right now?  The owners say the current salary scale isn't sustainable and I can't blame them for not wanting to pay guys like Kenyon Martin $16 million or Rashard Lewis $21 million guaranteed -- but they do because they're trying to compete.  Owners and GMs put all of their hopes in mediocre players and can't sell their product.  There just aren't enough good players to go around, and the current system is broken. 

Is the "worst team" argument because of GM mismanagement?  Lack of established/involved fan base?  Is it the product?  I know Stern wants to make the NBA a global brand, but if half of the teams supposedly can't make it and the current system rewards mediocre players with ridiculous guaranteed contracts, then either change the sytem or let the cities that can support their franchise have a franchise.   

Look at the top of the "losing money" list and there are your candidates for contraction.      

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

........so this (watered down) league is full of mediocre players?......(I agree)....and all this infusion of European talent hasn't strengthened the league because there are too many teams and not enough quality talent to fill rosters.....?  ....then explain to me again why the 60's & 70's teams aren't considered to have put out a quality product....?     ......I'm listening....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]I would agree with you that cleveland is an exception to that group...especially during the Lebrains period...Love to see cleveland win it before Miami...even when they lost like 21 in row..you could tell they were playing hard every night..
    Ortiz123, Thank You.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]....so this (watered down) league is full of mediocre players?......(I agree).........and all this infusion of European talent hasn't strengthened the league because there are too many teams and not enough quality talent to fill rosters.....?  ....then explain to me again why the 60's & 70's teams aren't considered to have put out a quality product....?     ......I'm listening....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Amen, brother!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I don't know what the cirteria ought to be for removing teams. However I think the League was a better product prior to Stern taking control. He has done some good things but has stayed on way too long.

I think a good number of teams would be around 26. And I'd keep some of the expansion teams that have come into the league since 1986. Those being Minnesota, Miami and Orlando. Charlottes presence is debatable. Would be nice in a sense to have The Hornets back in Charlotte but I can't see that happening. The Bobcats are just awful. Thing is you have great college basketball in that area. Does Charlotte need an NBA team? I'd almost prefer to watch Duke or NC.

The talented European players would have come into the NBA expansion or not. Most of the great one's couldn't come to the NBA in the mid eighties because their countries were influenced by The Soviet Union. After '89 the floodgates were opened. Plus you had the general standard of European basketball improve expedentially.

An 8, 16 or even 24 team league isn't big enough today. The market can't substain the current size of the leauge so something should be done. Player wages are one thing, but cutting the salary of players won't improve the quality of the games.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

No player in the 64-year history of the National Basketball Association has come close to having the immediate and profound impact that LeBron James had when he bolted the Cleveland Cavaliers for the Miami Heat this summer. The King’s move accounted for both the biggest gain and drop in team values: the Heat’s worth increased 17%, to $425 million (seventh among the NBA’s 30 teams), and the Cavaliers plummeted 26%, to $355 million (15th).

The Heat sold out their season ticket inventory for the 2010-11 campaign after four straight years of attendance declines. Ticket prices are going up next year and ratings for Heat games on Sun Sports, the Fox-owned regional sports network, have doubled this season. Meanwhile, after winning more than 60 games each of the past two seasons, the Cavs won only eight of their first 45 games this year and owner Dan Gilbert recently announced that prices for Cavs games would be lowered next season.

This is why teams cannot afford to lose a superstar free agent without getting something in return,even then, it may take years to recover from it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2011/01/26/the-nbas-most-valuable-teams-2/

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

[QUOTE]........so this (watered down) league is full of mediocre players?......(I agree)....and all this infusion of European talent hasn't strengthened the league because there are too many teams and not enough quality talent to fill rosters.....?  ....then explain to me again why the 60's & 70's teams aren't considered to have put out a quality product....?     ......I'm listening....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]
    Duke
    I'll be happy to give you the reasons as to why the teams of the 60's are inferior to the teams of the 80's onto the present. But first I would like you to tell me what makes the teams of the 60's better than the teams of the 80's on to the present. How about some data that backs up your opinion. Opinions, when not backed by reasonable data, usually end up in a discussion that has no conclusion.
    Seems 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Be careful what you wish for. The Celtics won a mere 24 games in 2006, and with the Big 3 now the Geriatric 3, the Celtics might not be around too much longer if your wish comes true. I'm just sayin' Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]No player in the 64-year history of the National Basketball Association has come close to having the immediate and profound impact that LeBron James had when he bolted the Cleveland Cavaliers for the Miami Heat this summer. The King’s move accounted for both the biggest gain and drop in team values: the Heat’s worth increased 17%, to $425 million (seventh among the NBA’s 30 teams), and the Cavaliers plummeted 26%, to $355 million (15th). The Heat sold out their season ticket inventory for the 2010-11 campaign after four straight years of attendance declines. Ticket prices are going up next year and ratings for Heat games on Sun Sports, the Fox-owned regional sports network, have doubled this season. Meanwhile, after winning more than 60 games each of the past two seasons, the Cavs won only eight of their first 45 games this year and owner Dan Gilbert recently announced that prices for Cavs games would be lowered next season. This is why teams cannot afford to lose a superstar free agent without getting something in return,even then, it may take years to recover from it. http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2011/01/26/the-nbas-most-valuable-teams-2/

Or, as Red said, in our case, losing TWO, it could take 20 years to recover!!

The man was a prophet!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

PEOPLE,

Its so unfair to judge athletes of all generations. They all the best ones deserve to be up on the plateau together. We can not judge time. We can not hold it against the 1960's that they didnt have workout programs and that they were not invented yet.

The league grows with time. Judging growth....is horrible...we are not special beings to judge time...

Time brings inovation while the past brings history...to say which one is better..shows a lack of iq