could be the best celtics team ever..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Re: could be the best celtics team ever..

Elias, my point is..........Russ' could handle Wilt......he'd be fine against Shaq.....

Bynum has yet to make an all star team I believe.....he is very inconsistent.....great one game, disappears the next.....KG......all star.....MVP.....HOF.....team leader.....in his prime before the injury on a team that was something like 29-3.....

Still good to see you back!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Elias, I forgot to mention......you say if Bynum were healthy the Celtics wouldn't have had much of a chance? (by the way.....you just went the "what if" route my friend) ......what is the rationale?

Pau is better than Bynum.......and the Celtics won in six.....in very impressive style....just saying.... 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: could be the best celtics team ever..:
    [QUOTE]Elias, I forgot to mention......you say if Bynum were healthy the Celtics wouldn't have had much of a chance? (by the way.....you just went the "what if" route my friend) ......what is the rationale? Pau is better than Bynum.......and the Celtics won in six.....in very impressive style....just saying.... 
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

The Celtics won the title by 39 points in Game 6 in 2008. In 2010 the Lakers won by 4 points in GAME 7 with the Celtics not having their starting Center Kendrick Perkins. Clearly the Celtics dominated the Lakers in 2008 while the Lakers needed all the help they can get from...

Such is life.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastgreenfn. Show westcoastgreenfn's posts

Yes, I agree that the 80's team or any team that Russell played on. Tooooo many of them in the HOF and they have Jewelry,lot's of Jewelry.

n Response to Re: could be the best celtics team ever..:
    [QUOTE]I would go with either the '85-'86 team...(4 of the 5 starters are in the HOF and were in their prime......and Walton was the 6th man and is also in the HOF).....or any number of Russ' teams during the 8 year streak (take your pick of several all time great teams loaded with HOF players).....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastgreenfn. Show westcoastgreenfn's posts

No Not yet at least,win the next two Championships then ask again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]Current celt team is average. Those who spout on about being 'great' are the same as those who said 'we want the Lakers' and celts in 6. How'd that work out for ya? Looking at the core here's a simple analysis: Brick-found out in the Finals. No reliable jumper, possibly worse than snaq from the free throw line....boom! Scowl-one performance out of 7 showed his jumper is going because his legs are going. Will have his moments but not reliable in the big games. Wheelchair-hates it when guys get in his grill and challenge him. Still one of the best present day floppers but again tired and washed up from being only a good player. Big flick it-too old, too tired and Pau's stooge. No shame in running second to The Spaniard but a mere flicker of himself. Hands of stone- lmao. No comment needed. New signings The big minimum-old, good for maybe 15-20 if that. Still a liability from the free throw line but will clog the lane (when he wants to). JO-lmao. No comment needed. West-no comment. (mother's in you're area beware). If this is the definition of great then I play like Magic Johnson!
    Posted by KB24RULZ[/QUOTE]

You are one tough grader!!  Please, when you get out of high school, don't go into education, your grading system is too hard.

IF the Celtics are average, according to your warped, twisted logic, the lakers are only SLIGHTLY above average, and the rest of the league is below average.  Such a shame, I thought the lakers were pretty good.

KG - ah, let's see, koME has more NBA mins on his legs than KG, so.....again, according to you, koME is old and tired.  Pierce is old, well he is 10 months older than koME, with about 8000 more mins on his legs....................again, he must be old and tired, too.
    Perk - not an issue now, he is hurt, JON is only 31 and a former All-Star who was hurt last year.  As old as, and costs the same, as Artest.

Shaq - thank you for saying he will be GOOD for 15 - 20 mins this year.  That's all we need him for - the only correct thing in your entire delusional rant.

Oh, and I forgot, the lakers, who are OLDER than the Celtics, never age.. San Antonio, Boston and Orlando all get older, but the lakers have found the fountain of NBA middle-age.  Do you think this can go on forever?

Such is NOT life, and you guys are one serious injury away from being knocked out in the second round.................we'll see how that works out for you.  Make sure to tell us if you're going to work or to college when you get out of high school, because we'd really like to know!@

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

[QUOTE]Elias, my point is..........Russ' could handle Wilt.....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

WRONG!!

Chamberlain averaged exactly 28.7 points and 28.7 rebounds a game during those 142 games they played each other, the point totals brought down a bit by his late-in-career transformation from relentless scoring machine to more well-rounded player. In the early years Wilt scored 50 or more points seven times against Russell, including a high of 62 on January 14, 1962. By the time we could start referring to these men as "aging warriors," the numbers were a bit more back to earth. Wilt's high game in their final year was 35, and three times he scored in single figures.

Russell's totals against Wilt were 14.5 points and 23.7 rebounds per game. His highest-scoring game against his arch rival was 37.

Who handled who?? Russell had the better support cast no doubt, but individually Wilt owned him in all stats except championships. You could do that when you had better players around you, no salary cap etc.

Wilt was a beast!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: could be the best celtics team ever.. : WRONG!! Chamberlain averaged exactly 28.7 points and 28.7 rebounds a game during those 142 games they played each other, the point totals brought down a bit by his late-in-career transformation from relentless scoring machine to more well-rounded player. In the early years Wilt scored 50 or more points seven times against Russel l, including a high of 62 on January 14, 1962 . By the time we could start referring to these men as "aging warriors," the numbers were a bit more back to earth. Wilt's high game in their final year was 35, and three times he scored in single figures. Russell's totals against Wilt were 14.5 points and 23.7 rebounds per game . His highest-scoring game against his arch rival was 37.   Who handled who?? Russell had the better support cast no doubt, but individually Wilt owned him in all stats except championships. You could do that when you had better players around you, no salary cap etc.   Wilt was a beast!

Russells' teams won!
    In his book Russ also stated that he let Wilt have his "glory" early in the game because he didn't want to upset Wilt.  "He was a gentle giant, and a friend, but I still didn't want him to get mad."

With the game on the line, ALWAYS, Russ shut Wilt down, and the Celtics prevailed.  Anything else you need help on today, school should be getting out soon?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Wilt was a giant......but Big Bill held his own.....stats don't tell the whole story.....in one of Wilt's 50 point games Russell didn't even bother defending him....Wilt thought he had a great game....only problem was that his team was losing to Boston by over 30 points in the fourth quarter.....also, Russell wasn't concerned with scoring....Wilt was obsessed with it.....that is why he was traded at mid season by his last place team (San Francisco)....this was the year he averaged 50 PPG...the team couldn't win with him.....he even had a young Nate Thurmond starting next to him......Russ would block shots and control the ball giving his team the advantage....Wilt loved to put the ball in the front row seats when he did it....looks cool but his opponent gets the ball back....the first time they met on the court Wilt was so shaken at having his shots blocked by Russell that he ended up shooting hook shots which he hated...Wilt's points were historically below his season average when he played Russ...late in their careers the Celtics beat LA in the Finals because Wilt was now focused on how many assists he could compile....he took only a few shots in the second half of the deciding game....Wilt was at least 3 inches taller and was listed at 250-275 lbs during his career....compared to Bills 220-230.....
    Bill definitely held his own....Wilt himself admitted that Russell was his toughest opponent....Russ was about winning....Wilt was about statistics.....did you ever see either of them play or follow their careers? .....I did...right from the start

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bobbarcker. Show Bobbarcker's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: could be the best celtics team ever.. : Russells' teams won! In his book Russ also stated that he let Wilt have his "glory" early in the game because he didn't want to upset Wilt.  "He was a gentle giant, and a friend, but I still didn't want him to get mad." With the game on the line, ALWAYS, Russ shut Wilt down, and the Celtics prevailed.  Anything else you need help on today, school should be getting out soon?
    Posted by BirdandCowens[/QUOTE]

Speaking of school, shouldn't you be in a classroom right now, or was that also a lie? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

[QUOTE]Wilt was a giant......but Big Bill held his own.....stats don't tell the whole story.....in one of Wilt's 50 point games Russell didn't even bother defending him....Wilt thought he had a great game....only problem was that his team was losing to Boston by over 30 points in the fourth quarter.....also, Russell wasn't concerned with scoring....Wilt was obsessed with it.....that is why he was traded at mid season by his last place team (San Francisco)....this was the year he averaged 50 PPG...the team couldn't win with him.....he even had a young Nate Thurmond starting next to him......Russ would block shots and control the ball giving his team the advantage....Wilt loved to put the ball in the front row seats when he did it....looks cool but his opponent gets the ball back....the first time they met on the court Wilt was so shaken at having his shots blocked by Russell that he ended up shooting hook shots which he hated...Wilt's points were historically below his season average when he played Russ...late in their careers the Celtics beat LA in the Finals because Wilt was now focused on how many assists he could compile....he took only a few shots in the second half of the deciding game....Wilt was at least 3 inches taller and was listed at 250-275 lbs during his career....compared to Bills 220-230..... Bill definitely held his own....Wilt himself admitted that Russell was his toughest opponent....Russ was about winning....Wilt was about statistics.....did you ever see either of them play or follow their careers? .....I did...right from the start
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Duke

Check out the record (winning percentage) of the Knicks from 1956 through 1967. I wonder how many rings Russell would have if he had been drafted by the Knicks? The Celts already had  a winning history and were coming off a second place finish in 1955-56 so the team was well established. That same year they added Tom Heinsohn to a roster that already included Cousy and Sharman. Now I know that you can't revisit the past,shuffle the deck, and come to any logical conclusion. But you sure can wonder what sort of effect going to the Knicks might have had on his career. By the way,Russ is my favorite Celtic player, and I rank him in the top 10 (all sports) no lets make that the top 5, when it comes to generational domination.

SeemstoMe 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

you make good points (as always)......yes, going to Boston was very important....they had some talent on board when they brought in Russ and Tommy....the thing is.....they couldn't win the big one until Russ came aboard....once he was in the lineup they just kept winning...two years they failed....1958 finals loss to St. Louis....but Russ was injured and that changed the series....of course, 1967 when Wilt and Co. were just a great team....but then the Celts won again the next two years.......Russ and Sam retired and the Celts were toast.....although they still had Havlicek, Howell, Nelson, and others...(including rookie Jo Jo White).....but then along came Cowens...and the rest is history....my point on Russ and winning....back to back NCAA Championships....11 NBA Titles in 13 years....of course the Olympic Gold Medal....14 titles in 15 years.....college.....Olympics....pro's....from a very young age to 36 years old.....Russ.....the ultimate winner!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

Any fool that thinks having 28.7 pts a game and 28.7 rebounds a game is 'being handled' is delusional.

As for letting Wilt have his way early in games....muahahahahaha yeah that makes real sense. The only thing russell had over Wilt was a better support cast, thats it. Wilt was easily the beast!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Wilt is dead while Russell is still alive.

Such is life.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

Bias and lewis are dead....the Lakers continued to roll.

Such is life!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Bias and lewis are dead....the Lakers continued to roll. Such is life!!

You're lying! If BiasLewis is dead then why is he still posting on this board?

Life is such.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: could be the best celtics team ever.. : WRONG!! Chamberlain averaged exactly 28.7 points and 28.7 rebounds a game during those 142 games they played each other, the point totals brought down a bit by his late-in-career transformation from relentless scoring machine to more well-rounded player. In the early years Wilt scored 50 or more points seven times against Russel l, including a high of 62 on January 14, 1962 . By the time we could start referring to these men as "aging warriors," the numbers were a bit more back to earth. Wilt's high game in their final year was 35, and three times he scored in single figures. Russell's totals against Wilt were 14.5 points and 23.7 rebounds per game . His highest-scoring game against his arch rival was 37.   Who handled who?? Russell had the better support cast no doubt, but individually Wilt owned him in all stats except championships. You could do that when you had better players around you, no salary cap etc.   Wilt was a beast!

Well, I'd rather have Russell in my team than Wilt. Russell was a winner of championships. Wilt was a winner of scoring titles.

The only statistic that means anything is how many championships you win.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: could be the best celtics team ever.. : Duke Check out the record (winning percentage) of the Knicks from 1956 through 1967. I wonder how many rings Russell would have if he had been drafted by the Knicks? The Celts already had  a winning history and were coming off a second place finish in 1955-56 so the team was well established. That same year they added Tom Heinsohn to a roster that already included Cousy and Sharman. Now I know that you can't revisit the past,shuffle the deck, and come to any logical conclusion. But you sure can wonder what sort of effect going to the Knicks might have had on his career. By the way,Russ is my favorite Celtic player, and I rank him in the top 10 (all sports) no lets make that the top 5, when it comes to generational domination. SeemstoMe 
    Posted by SeemsToMe[/QUOTE]

I think Russell would have been successful where ever he went. An example of this I'd use is his time at UFC.

UFC hadn't had success until the arrival of Russell. He led them to titles in '55 and '56. They never had success like they did with Russell, but after he left the program they had a moderate success. Especially for a smaller school.

I think if he'd gone to the Knicks he'd have won multiple championships. Maybe not as many as he did with Boston. But he'd have been a success. It's Bill Russell, the man was a winner.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: could be the best celtics team ever.. : Well, I'd rather have Russell in my team than Wilt. Russell was a winner of championships. Wilt was a winner of scoring titles. The only statistic that means anything is how many championships you win.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

No wonder he or she calls you RUPotapenko, you disagree with him even when he's wrong. 

HAHAHA!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: could be the best celtics team ever.. : The only statistic that means anything is how many championships you win.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

Kobe got 5 and soon to be 6. Ohh thats right Vitaly, this is where you do you're rant on ' as a man he's etc etc etc' speech. Talk about double standards.
     Stick with those celts kid, 1st loser aint so bad for the boston mob.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

RUWorthy

Of course Russ would always have been successful as a player. During the 1950's and 60's he And Wilt dominated the scene like few have. But certainly playing on a "team" with as many as 8 Hall Of Fame players had to contribute in a big way to the teams success. Playing on a team like the lowly Knicks I suspect would have diminished rather significantly the number of championship rings that he collected with the loaded Celtics while his own personal stats could very well have been enhanced.

SeemsToMe

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

KB24.........I'm still waiting to hear how many games you watched when these two  greats played each other....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

KB....never mind......I just read the article in the NBA Encyclopedia.......you copied the article word for word......except you didn't continue on about the 62 point game (where Wilt scored over 40 points in the 2nd half).....his team was down by 31 points in the 4th qtr and they lost that game....I don't think Big Bill was concerned with Wilt's scoring that night huh? As the article states....if you go strictly by individual stats you are missing the point of the debate....whatever it took, Russ did it.....the ultimate winner...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]KB24.........I'm still waiting to hear how many games you watched when these two  greats played each other....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

How could KB24 have watched Wilt and Russell battle when he's only as old as Hannah Montana. 

Such is life.

HAHAHA!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Yeah, you are probably right!