could be the best celtics team ever..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: could be the best celtics team ever..

Rasheed said last year's team could win 72, but who really cares about the regular season?  Easy for me to say since I got to a handful of games a year, so I can understand the gripes from season ticket holders.  But based on how the postseason turned out, I'd say they should aim again for 50+/- wins and take their chances when it matters.  Ray, KG and Paul need to rest.  Doc should play the young(er) guys as many minutes as possible so this team can do some damage in June.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

Sheed thought the celts could win 72 games last year...muahahahaha how'd that work out for ya?

As for great celt team.....when you 3-peat then post. Else it's all dross as you can't even go back to back. In the Laker Nation, our great teams are measured by winning in multiples unlike the 'once only tainted 08 celt team'.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

show a little class kid.....it's helps the discussions.....really....we are willing to discuss or even debate...but all the sarcasm gets a little old.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

In Response to Re: could be the best celtics team ever..:
    [QUOTE]Rasheed said last year's team could win 72, but who really cares about the regular season?  Easy for me to say since I got to a handful of games a year, so I can understand the gripes from season ticket holders.  But based on how the postseason turned out, I'd say they should aim again for 50+/- wins and take their chances when it matters.  Ray, KG and Paul need to rest.  Doc should play the young(er) guys as many minutes as possible so this team can do some damage in June.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I agree with you 100%!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't know about all the comparatives,but I was a kid when Russell,Cous,Satch Saunders,Wille Naulls,Jumbo Jim,Tom Heinsohn,Hondo,Sharmin and I was a in my Thirties for the Bird,McHale,Parrish,Walton,Wedman,Sichting,Ainge,Maxwell,and even Pistol Pete era. Both teams were fun too watch and each of the teams had the elite of the elite playing for their team. I think the competition has improved over the years and that there are more quality players in the league at this point in time than were in the league in the 60's or 80's,so to compare this new version of the Celtics to the prior great teams is very diametric. You could include those Cowens led teams of the 70's in the discussion per their team greatness.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EliasB. Show EliasB's posts

"I think the competition has improved over the years and that there are more quality players in the league at this point in time than were in the league in the 60's or 80's, so to compare this new version of the Celtics to the prior great teams is very diametric. "

Great point Sportsbozo! I think comparing teams of different eras is counterproductive to what the NBA is about in 2010. At no time in history has basketball been more popular or competetive worldwide as it is today. When the older generation basketball fan (specifically older generation Celtics fans) compares guys who played in the 1950's or 60's to modern players, I can't help but chuckle at the absoute denial of reality. Was Cousy a great player? Absolutley yes! In his era, in his generation, he was the best. That said, I don't believe you can say he would be able to take on John Stockton, both players in their prime. John Stockton would make Cousy look like a really good highschool basketball player. And the same goes with any player from that era compared to any player post merger/modern era. Shaq in his prime would make Bill Russel look as small as he is when you compare him to today's players. Russel in his day was the best center around. But when you try and say he could have played in the league today, I would say no. If he was born in 1980, if he would make the NBA today, he might play power forward ...maybe. Players and athletes will always continue to get bigger and better which is why records will always be broken.

Cool

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

You are correct Bozo......it seems you and I are in the same age group.....year in and year out for 40+ years we had great teams take the floor.....injuries, deaths, poor management took their toll....then, three years ago Danny rebuilt the team....a resounding championship in year one......KG goes down for the season but we get to within one game of the Eastern Finals in year two....the team is decimated in year three yet we regroup and stun all the experts by going to within a few minutes of another championship on the road in game 7.....and Danny has reloaded again....year four looks like another great run....whoever wants to put this team down for the extended mediocrity....it's over....the Celts are again hugely relevant....what more can we ask for? ....and in a few years....Kobe is history and the Lakers rebuild....Kobe, Pau, Lamar, Fisher, and Ron Ron....all in their 30's and not getting any younger...we have a young all star in Rondo to rebuild around....the Lakers have.........Bynum?  .....maybe if he stops getting injured every year....I love the rebirth of the Celtics.....thank you Danny!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

[QUOTE]"I think the competition has improved over the years and that there are more quality players in the league at this point in time than were in the league in the 60's or 80's, so to compare this new version of the Celtics to the prior great teams is very diametric. " Great point Sportsbozo! I think comparing teams of different eras is counterproductive to what the NBA is about in 2010. At no time in history has basketball been more popular or competetive worldwide as it is today. When the older generation basketball fan (specifically older generation Celtics fans) compares guys who played in the 1950's or 60's to modern players, I can't help but chuckle at the absoute denial of reality. Was Cousy a great player? Absolutley yes! In his era, in his generation , he was the best. That said, I don't believe you can say he would be able to take on John Stockton, both players in their prime. John Stockton would make Cousy look like a really good highschool basketball player. And the same goes with any player from that era compared to any player post merger/modern era. Shaq in his prime would make Bill Russel look as small as he is when  you compare him to today's players. Russel in his day was the best center around. But when you try and say he could have played in the league today, I would say no. If he was born in 1980, if he would make the NBA today, he might play power forward ...maybe. Players and athletes will always continue to get bigger and better which is why records will always be broken.
    Posted by EliasB[/QUOTE]

EliasB

Don't forget that Baylor doesn't make the cut and West is boarderline.

SeemsToMe

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EliasB. Show EliasB's posts

Duke, I have two things to ask you: First, in your comments you talk about the Celtics General Manager as giving the Celtics a "rebirth." And of the Lakers you talk about their age "all in their 30's and not getting any younger." The subject about how the impact players on the Lakers team are much younger than the Celtics team has been talked about already and yet you talk about the Celtics rebirth and the Lakers age. Are you implying that the Celtics are in a better position as far as age is concerned than the Lakers are? Would you suggest we bring up the subject of age once again?

Second, you always say that had KG had not gone down in 2009 that your team might have won it all. This seems to be a habit with Celtics fans and coaches, ala Doc Rivers comments on the starting five of the Celtics never losing a series as if the Lakers couldn't make the same claim. In you opinion, is it then fair for Lakers fans to say that had Andrew Bynum (the Lakers starting center in '08) been healthy in 2008 that the Lakers would have beaten the Celtics? If not why not?

Cool

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"this could be the best celtics team ever... good job danny"

wow...not sure about that but I'm sure you're smoking the best stuff ever. You recall that the four hall of famers on this team are all well past their prime right? And as much of a Rondo fan as I am, he took a step back with his free throw shooting and if he can't get that into a better percentage he won't drive the lane with confidence. We'll be a very good team, maybe an NBA finals team, but 85/86 Celts had a healthy Bill Walton coming off the bench. No offense but I'll go with a Healthy Walton over Big Baby Davis.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]Duke, I have two things to ask you: First, in your comments you talk about the Celtics General Manager as giving the Celtics a "rebirth." And of the Lakers you talk about their age "all in their 30's and not getting any younger." The subject about how the impact players on the Lakers team are much younger than the Celtics team has been talked about already and yet you talk about the Celtics rebirth and the Lakers age. Are you implying that the Celtics are in a better position as far as age is concerned than the Lakers are? Would you suggest we bring up the subject of age once again? Second, you always say that had KG had not gone down in 2009 that your team might have won it all. This seems to be a habit with Celtics fans and coaches, ala Doc Rivers comments on the starting five of the Celtics never losing a series as if the Lakers couldn't make the same claim. In you opinion, is it then fair for Lakers fans to say that had Andrew Bynum (the Lakers starting center in '08) been healthy in 2008 that the Lakers would have beaten the Celtics? If not why not?
    Posted by EliasB[/QUOTE]

NO, it isn't.  Here's why.  The lakers were one half game out of first place when Bynum got hurt.  AFTER he got hurt, they traded for Gasol and went on a tear.  If Bynum didn't get hurt, no Gasol trade!
    And I believe Kwame Brown was the starting center, with Bynum off the bench, but I could be mistaken on that.  Definitely not the first part, though!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: could be the best celtics team ever.. : Lmao when brick can hit a barn door from the free throw line and develop any sort of credible mid-long range jumper...then you can talk. Until then, no credibility!
    Posted by KB24RULZ[/QUOTE]

I wonder if the 13-year old here got permission to use that video on all his messages.  It looks like koME, in the middle of a snow storm in Colorado, giving the bird to the Nuggets fans!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Elias it's nice to see you back!  ....as always, I disagree with you ....but then, we always do agree to disagree...but that is part of the fun right buddy?...so

yes, the Celtics are the older team.....Lakers' window is larger

KG's injury trumps Bynums.......Superstar/HOF vs young center who is injury prone almost every year

2008 Bynum injury (and subsequent "Red-like" steal of Pau")......vs. game 7 injury to Perk.....may well be the diference...and KG going down after a 23-5 start?....what else needs to be said?..anyway pal....welcome back....in a way, I have missed you.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]In the Laker Nation, our great teams are measured by winning in multiples unlike the 'once only tainted 08 celt team'.
    Posted by KB24RULZ[/QUOTE]

So where does that leave our 1972 team? Merely good or not so great?

Thank YOU Mr Bill Sharman for helping us over the line.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EliasB. Show EliasB's posts

"And I believe Kwame Brown was the starting center, with Bynum off the bench, but I could be mistaken ..."

Uh yeah, your mistaken ....Kwame Brown lol

Cool

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Does this team have Tommy Heinshon, Bill Russel, and Bob Cousey?

I didn't think so.

Then it couldn't be the best Celtics team ever.

Could we settle for " One of the best Celtic's teams ever?"   Even before we see them play.

Why wasn't this post titled "The Best Celtics Team Ever . . . on Paper?" 

That would be realistic.  I might buy that after I see them play.

A team on paper means nothing.

I find these kinds of speculations ridiculous.

But to each his/her own.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EliasB. Show EliasB's posts

"2008 Bynum injury (and subsequent "Red-like" steal of Pau")......vs. game 7 injury to Perk.....may well be the diference...and KG going down after a 23-5 start?....what else needs to be said?"

It is true that had Bynum not went down the Lakers would not have gotten Pau Gasol but that is not what I was asking now was it? I'm saying that had Andrew Bynum been able to come back 100% healthy the Celtics would not have had much of a chance. But we will never know.

I personally don't like to ask "what if" questions and I get pretty annoyed with people use their "what if" questions to cope with their loss instead of being a good sportsman and accept their defeat fair and square. 

Bynum going down was unfortunate; KG going down is unfortuneate; Perkins going down was unfortuneate; the players you keep mentioning who died several years ago was unfortunate but that's life. It's not necessarily about good luck or bad luck either, it just is what it is.

Cool

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]"2008 Bynum injury (and subsequent "Red-like" steal of Pau")......vs. game 7 injury to Perk.....may well be the diference...and KG going down after a 23-5 start?....what else needs to be said?" It is true that had Bynum not went down the Lakers would not have gotten Pau Gasol but that is not what I was asking now was it? I'm saying that had Andrew Bynum been able to come back 100% healthy the Celtics would not have had much of a chance. But we will never know. I personally don't like to ask "what if" questions and I get pretty annoyed with people use their "what if" questions to cope with their loss instead of being a good sportsman and accept their defeat fair and square.  Bynum going down was unfortunate; KG going down is unfortuneate; Perkins going down was unfortuneate; the players you keep mentioning who died several years ago was unfortunate but that's life. It's not necessarily about good luck or bad luck either, it just is what it is.
    Posted by EliasB[/QUOTE]

Thank you for admitting that about Gasol.  You are in the minority on this board.  It is true, though.  We were better in 08 and you were better last 2 years.  Should be end of discussion - and a blessing Bynum got hurt because Gasol is a stud!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I don't think we'd win our last two titles without Gasol. It's a true mixed blessing for Andrew B as he's now a two time NBA champion.  Life has a funny way of turning out sometimes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In regards to the current Celtics team. I think the best way to describe it would be PROTENTIALLY one of the best Celtics teams ever. They haven't played a game yet.

We can't say what role injury or lack of form will play yet.

In all cases it's best to leave those tags like "best", "great", "good" or "greatest" until the dust has settled on the 10/11 season.

It's presumptuous to make claims on how a team ranks before a game has been played. It's like the people talking up the Miami Heat. We don't know how they'll go. We don't know how any team will go.

I think with the Celtics Rondo, the bench and injuries are the keys. You know what you'll get from guys like Allen, Pierce and KG.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]In regards to the current Celtics team. I think the best way to describe it would be PROTENTIALLY one of the best Celtics teams ever. They haven't played a game yet. We can't say what role injury or lack of form will play yet. In all cases it's best to leave those tags like "best", "great", "good" or "greatest" until the dust has settled on the 10/11 season. It's presumptuous to make claims on how a team ranks before a game has been played. It's like the people talking up the Miami Heat. We don't know how they'll go. We don't know how any team will go. I think with the Celtics Rondo, the bench and injuries are the keys. You know what you'll get from guys like Allen, Pierce and KG.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

-

Amen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

Current celt team is average. Those who spout on about being 'great' are the same as those who said 'we want the Lakers' and celts in 6. How'd that work out for ya?

Looking at the core here's a simple analysis:
    Brick-found out in the Finals. No reliable jumper, possibly worse than snaq from the free throw line....boom!
    Scowl-one performance out of 7 showed his jumper is going because his legs are going. Will have his moments but not reliable in the big games.
    Wheelchair-hates it when guys get in his grill and challenge him. Still one of the best present day floppers but again tired and washed up from being only a good player.
    Big flick it-too old, too tired and Pau's stooge. No shame in running second to The Spaniard but a mere flicker of himself.
    Hands of stone- lmao. No comment needed.

New signings
    The big minimum-old, good for maybe 15-20 if that. Still a liability from the free throw line but will clog the lane (when he wants to).
    JO-lmao. No comment needed.
    West-no comment. (mother's in you're area beware).

If this is the definition of great then I play like Magic Johnson!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

People seem to have forgotten about this team since they only won one, but my pick for the best team ever for a single season was the fo fo fo team phili had for one year.  Sweeping the lakers out of the finals was damn impressive.  And fun to watch.  I didn't hate phili...i feared and respected them.  DrJ was perhaps the greatest ambassador of the sport ever.   Bobby jones probably the most underrated defender now days, although he got props back then.  Every bit as good as cooper.  Toney was ben gordon with his head on straight.  Moses was still a top 5 center at least, although that was his last year of greatness.  Maurice cheeks a top pg although I always liked hollins better.

That was a great team, and a hungry team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

[QUOTE]Duke, I have two things to ask you: First, in your comments you talk about the Celtics General Manager as giving the Celtics a "rebirth." And of the Lakers you talk about their age "all in their 30's and not getting any younger." The subject about how the impact players on the Lakers team are much younger than the Celtics team has been talked about already and yet you talk about the Celtics rebirth and the Lakers age. Are you implying that the Celtics are in a better position as far as age is concerned than the Lakers are? Would you suggest we bring up the subject of age once again? Second, you always say that had KG had not gone down in 2009 that your team might have won it all. This seems to be a habit with Celtics fans and coaches, ala Doc Rivers comments on the starting five of the Celtics never losing a series as if the Lakers couldn't make the same claim. In you opinion, is it then fair for Lakers fans to say that had Andrew Bynum (the Lakers starting center in '08) been healthy in 2008 that the Lakers would have beaten the Celtics? If not why not?
    Posted by EliasB[/QUOTE]