CUT PP SOME SLACK, HAD THE FLU!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Re: CUT PP SOME SLACK, HAD THE FLU!

What if LeBron had scored only one point, wonder what the board would be posting about him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In Response to Re: CUT PP SOME SLACK, HAD THE FLU!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: CUT PP SOME SLACK, HAD THE FLU! : - Leave it to a Chi-town fella to get it right. "Actually, I'm sure Pierce would be the first to say he had a terrible, absolutely horrible, game." Petey I really, really doubt that.  Actually, Petey, that is highly presumptuous of you.  Paul had a bad game only to people who solely look at points scored and ignore the other more mundane but equally important aspects of the game.  The simple fact that he gave us 40 minutes, while being a shadow of his usual self physically, played good team defense, moved the ball, while gathering 5 rebounds, 3 assists, and one steal indicates that he indeed did not have an "absolutely horrible" game, just a horrible shooting game.
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]

RajonRondowski, I am comfortable with the fact that we simply see things differently.  I like how Pierce gutted the game out considering he, like so many others, is playing while dealing with some nagging injuries.  I also thought the other players stepped up and got the win.

Pierce played a very bad game and I'm a NO EXCUSES guy.  He matched his season average with 5 rebounds and 3 assists.  That's what he normally does.  He played "ok" individual defense at times and matador defense other times which is what he normally does. And he gave us nothing in the scoring category.  So, where you grade the other aspects of his performance well, to me, he did what he normally does night in and night out.  He did not have 10 rebounds and 9 assists.  He did what he usually does, 5 boards and 3 assists.

I'm just not of the opinion that "he did all the other things" THAT WELL.

And this is just for this one game that the thread is, IMO, intended for.  I hope he bounces back and/or gets the rest to recover and returns after the All Star break to the Truth that we all know.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CUT PP SOME SLACK, HAD THE FLU! : RajonRondowski, I am comfortable with the fact that we simply see things differently.  I like how Pierce gutted the game out considering he, like so many others, is playing while dealing with some nagging injuries.  I also thought the other players stepped up and got the win. Pierce played a very bad game and I'm a NO EXCUSES guy.  He matched his season average with 5 rebounds and 3 assists.  That's what he normally does.  He played "ok" individual defense at times and matador defense other times which is what he normally does. And he gave us nothing in the scoring category.  So, where you grade the other aspects of his performance well, to me, he did what he normally does night in and night out.  He did not have 10 rebounds and 9 assists.  He did what he usually does, 5 boards and 3 assists. I'm just not of the opinion that " he did all the other things " THAT WELL. And this is just for this one game that the thread is, IMO, intended for.  I hope he bounces back and/or gets the rest to recover and returns after the All Star break to the Truth that we all know.

Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

-

Well said, my friend.

Petey, I'm just of the opinion that what Paul gave us in his 40 minutes of play, given his condition (he did have the flu as well as other problems) should not be subject to such blistering criticism after a fine team win that included his contributions.   

For instance, to say that Paul had an absolutely, terrible, horrible game is a bit of an overstatement and a bit of hyperbole, wouldn't you agree?

The Celtic's defense is a team defense with help, movement, and communication being the keys to it's success. It's not predicated on individual defense, and that is why it is so often successful.  Paul did OK in this area, not absolutely terrible and horrible. Nothing terrible or horrible about his 5 rebounds or 3 assists, and one steal, were there?  Or do you take that for granted?  

Paul shot poorly, but both you and I know that a good shooter always believes that his next shot will drop and that to think otherwise is death to a shooter.  It would be nice if players could think, "Oh, I'm not hitting today, so I'll stop shooting for the rest of this game."  --  it just doesn't work that way.  

I think of our players as human beings not robots or slaves.  The human aspect of the game with all the foibles of personality and ego, guts and determination, great plays and stupid mistakes, is just as fascinating to me as the play on the floor.  If someone criticised my performance in such a cold, un-understanding kind of way, I would be very hurt and angry as you might very well be yourself.

At some point you'll probably rethink that "no excuses kind of guy" thing. It's not always excuses people are making but rather pointing out the factors that may have played a role in a person's performance.

Doc and Paul's choice would have been to sit Paul down for the game or severely limit his minutes, but I think there is no way we win that game without Paul's 40 minutes of play.  Speculation on this would be futile because Paul played and we won showing that Paul's and Doc's decision was the right one.  No do-overs. 

So, peace, Bro.  We can agree to disagree.  I can try to be less emotional, try to not lash out, and you can try to temper your criticism and couch it in less blistering, demeaning language.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

JON could learn something from PP. :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CUT PP SOME SLACK, HAD THE FLU! : - Well said, my friend. Petey, I'm just of the opinion that what Paul gave us in his 40 minutes of play, given his condition (he did have the flu as well as other problems) should not be subject to such blistering criticism after a fine team win that included his contributions.    For instance, to say that Paul had an absolutely, terrible, horrible game is a bit of an overstatement and a bit of hyperbole, wouldn't you agree? The Celtic's defense is a team defense with help, movement, and communication being the keys to it's success. It's not predicated on individual defense, and that is why it is so often successful.  Paul did OK in this area, not absolutely terrible and horrible. Nothing terrible or horrible about his 5 rebounds or 3 assists, and one steal, were there?  Or do you take that for granted?   Paul shot poorly, but both you and I know that a good shooter always believes that his next shot will drop and that to think otherwise is death to a shooter.  It would be nice if players could think, "Oh, I'm not hitting today, so I'll stop shooting for the rest of this game."  --  it just doesn't work that way.   I think of our players as human beings not robots or slaves.  The human aspect of the game with all the foibles of personality and ego, guts and determination, great plays and stupid mistakes, is just as fascinating to me as the play on the floor.  If someone criticised my performance in such a cold, un-understanding kind of way, I would be very hurt and angry as you might very well be yourself. At some point you'll probably rethink that "no excuses kind of guy" thing. It's not always excuses people are making but rather pointing out the factors that may have played a role in a person's performance. Doc and Paul's choice would have been to sit Paul down for the game or severely limit his minutes, but I think there is no way we win that game without Paul's 40 minutes of play.  Speculation on this would be futile because Paul played and we won showing that Paul's and Doc's decision was the right one.  No do-overs.  So, peace, Bro.  We can agree to disagree.  I can try to be less emotional, try to not lash out, and you can try to temper your criticism and couch it in less blistering, demeaning language.

Very good post RajonRondowski.  I will temper my criticism and couch it in a less blistering, demeaning manner.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Hey, Petey......one thing you said that I want to make sure you know is not quite right about Paul's performance.  You said:

So, if you are trying to excuse today's performance with some recent (today) foot injury that will require an MRI tomorrow, good try, it's been sore for 2 weeks.  He's had some decent games in that timeframe so why make that the excuse today?

Actually, in the last 2 weeks, Paul has shot 4 for 10 FG and 1 for 6 3 point shooting against Dallas; 4 for 11 and 0 for 2  3 point shooting against Orlando; 6 for 14 FG and 1 for 5  in 3 pts shooting against Charlotte; 6 for 15 FG and 1 for 3  from 3 pt land against Lakers; and 0 for 10 and 0 for 5 against Miami.   So, he's not actually had any good games in that period.

Now - I know how you feel about "no excuses".  But, I just trying to show you that over this period of nagging injuries, it really has affected his play.  Yes, 0 for 10 is horrible and worse than normal, but since the injury, he has been consistently off so the "excuse" wasn't just for Sunday.  Paul's a warrior so forgive me for defending him here - I think he's showing great toughness.

Let's hope he gets some rest over the break.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]Hey, Petey......one thing you said that I want to make sure you know is not quite right about Paul's performance.  You said: So, if you are trying to excuse today's performance with some recent (today) foot injury that will require an MRI tomorrow, good try, it's been sore for 2 weeks.  He's had some decent games in that timeframe so why make that the excuse today? Actually, in the last 2 weeks, Paul has shot 4 for 10 FG and 1 for 6 3 point shooting against Dallas; 4 for 11 and 0 for 2  3 point shooting against Orlando; 6 for 14 FG and 1 for 5  in 3 pts shooting against Charlotte; 6 for 15 FG and 1 for 3  from 3 pt land against Lakers; and 0 for 10 and 0 for 5 against Miami.   So, he's not actually had any good games in that period. Now - I know how you feel about "no excuses".  But, I just trying to show you that over this period of nagging injuries, it really has affected his play.  Yes, 0 for 10 is horrible and worse than normal, but since the injury, he has been consistently off so the "excuse" wasn't just for Sunday.  Paul's a warrior so forgive me for defending him here - I think he's showing great toughness. Let's hope he gets some rest over the break.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Very good post Celtfan4life backed up with stats.  However, I don't agree with what your numbers say about Pierce's performance over the past two weeks.  You do prove Pierce has had some shooting struggles.  However, when you look deeper into the numbers, he's contributed in other ways (like drawing fouls and going to the FT line).  The Miami game was yesterday, Feb. 13.  Here is what Pierce has done since Jan 30 (two weeks).

Jan 30, 32 pts vs Lakers

Feb 1, 15 pts, 5 rebs, 5 asts, 2 stls vs Sac

Feb 4, 12 pts vs Dal on 1-6 3-point shooting (this was a bad game - gutted out 12 points though)

Feb 6, 18 pts vs Orl 10-12 on FT (shot not hitting - attacked the rim and drew fouls)

Feb 7, 22 pts vs Cha 9-10 on FT (shot not hitting - attacked the rim and drew fouls)

Feb 10, 15 pts vs LA (all Big 4 missed at least 9 shots -- whole team shot horribly)

Feb 12, 1 pt, 5 rebs, 3 asts vs Mia

So, from my vantage point, Pierce over the past two weeks found a way to get it done.  Even when his shot was not falling over the past two weeks, he did other things like attack the rim and drew fouls and made FTs.  I agree Pierce is a warrior and that is what was disappointing about yesterday.  Yesterday alone.

Like I said, I was disappointed about that game and merely commented on that.  If I'm seeing it wrong, I'm sorry but this is how I see what Pierce has done over the past two weeks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

If he was hurting and/or sick then DOC should have limited his minutes a little more and let Wafer play some more because he had the energy and was producing.  Brick after brick was thrown up by Pierce that I thought he was a Mason.  He shouldn't have settle for the jumper , but instead attack the rim.  I would say the same for any player who is struggling and missed their first few shots.  Get to the line so you can see the ball go in the basket.  Im happy that we won, but that could have easily backfired by playing him if he was hurt.  The Celtics stunk up the fourth with no offensive movement or bad plays being called.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Wafer is too small to guard Lebron for any extended period of time and not fast enough to really pressure him.   So, Wafer for Pierce is not a good substitute.

Petey - I knew you'd say that.  So, maybe we're in agreement if I state it this way:  Pierce has been dinged up for a couple of weeks and that excuse/reason did not just affect the Feb. 13 performance against the Heat, but the entire 2 week period.  He did, however, find a way to get to the line in other games while in this one, he did not go to the basket as hard.

I am looking at the shooting and while he drew some fouls in previous games, I think his hitting some shots is critical and he is not going to do that as well when dinged up.  

I predict an easy win against the Nets.  I'm betting the Celts want to prove they can follow a big game against a good team with a good game against a bad team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Celtsfan4life, I agree with you 100%.  You're right, Pierce has not been himself for awhile now and I realize that he, like many others, is dealing with nagging injuries.  He has struggled with his shot lately.  I truly believe he will come out of this on Wednesday in NJ, just in time for the 3-point contest and All Star game.

I'm looking forward to seeing Delonte get back in the swing of things and Wafer continue his climb to earning significant minutes.

I, too, predict an easy win and then some rest.  Twenty-nine more and counting.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Who said you can't get water from a stone.  Wink

Paul earned my respect over the long haul.  After scowling through a number of seasons after the stabbing, and putting the towel over his head, and getting rolled off the floor in a wheelchair, he had lost me as a fan.

But then began the long, slow, climb back to redemption, in my eyes.

It was long and it was slow, but there is nothing I love more than redemption, good honest redemption, earned the hard way with thoughtfulness and maturity showing through.

Paul has done that.  The fact that Paul laughs at Rondo now, when Rondo plays dead on the floor (as if he just suffered a career ending injury) after selling a bogus foul to the refs, (you learned that from me -- ha, ha, ha) shows that even Paul does not take himself as seriously as he once did.  He was once a diva, but he is a diva no more.  (PS to Paul -- don't make a liar out of me.)  Paul is mature, but he is still maturing. 

It's just a shame that Paul has reached this level of intelligence and maturity as his physical skills are in decline.  I really hope he takes a page out of Ray Allen's playbook for the remander of his career.  He could pick a lot worse to emulate.

I know it's difficult to believe, but one day Rondo will be the go-to-guy at the end of games.  Paul still has a few left in him, but his days as an iso kind of guy, who can get the shot or get to the line, are largely over.  The sooner he and Doc come to grips with this, the better.

I think Paul is a bit jealous of Ray.  I saw everybody hugging and congratulating Ray when he got the record, but no Paul -- nowhere in sight.  I hope he gets over that.  It took a few years for Paul to even pass the ball to Ray, but now, to his credit, he does not hesitate.

I love Paul Pierce, to me he is still the heart and soul of the Celtics, but we don't need no "hero ball" as Doc so aptly puts it, and I think Paul is still the only one who still needs reminding of this fact.

But as far as toughness and guts goes, give me the Cap-i-tan any day at 50%.  As far as I'm concerned, I'm ready to place all the credit for the victory over the Heat on Paul Pierce's head, for without his 40 minutes of play, we don't win.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Who said you can't get water from a stone.  Paul earned my respect over the long haul.  After scowling through a number of seasons after the stabbing, and putting the towel over his head, and getting rolled off the floor in a wheelchair, he had lost me as a fan. But then began the long, slow, climb back to redemption, in my eyes. It was long and it was slow, but there is nothing I love more than redemption, good honest redemption, earned the hard way with thoughtfulness and maturity showing through. Paul has done that.  The fact that Paul laughs at Rondo now, when Rondo plays dead on the floor (as if he just suffered a career ending injury) after selling a bogus foul to the refs, (you learned that from me -- ha, ha, ha) shows that even Paul does not take himself as seriously as he once did.  He was once a diva, but he is a diva no more.  (PS to Paul -- don't make a liar out of me.)  Paul is mature, but he is still maturing.  It's just a shame that Paul has reached this level of intelligence and maturity as his physical skills are in decline.  I really hope he takes a page out of Ray Allen's playbook for the remander of his career.  He could pick a lot worse to emulate. I know it's difficult to believe, but one day Rondo will be the go-to-guy at the end of games.  Paul still has a few left in him, but his days as an iso kind of guy, who can get the shot or get to the line, are largely over.  The sooner he and Doc come to grips with this, the better. I think Paul is a bit jealous of Ray.  I saw everybody hugging and congratulating Ray when he got the record, but no Paul -- nowhere in sight.  I hope he gets over that.  It took a few years for Paul to even pass the ball to Ray, but now, to his credit, he does not hesitate. I love Paul Pierce, to me he is still the heart and soul of the Celtics, but we don't need no "hero ball" as Doc so aptly puts it, and I think Paul is still the only one who still needs reminding of this fact. But as far as toughness and guts goes, give me the Cap-i-tan any day at 50%.  As far as I'm concerned, I'm ready to place all the credit for the victory over the Heat on Paul Pierce's head, for without his 40 minutes of play, we don't win.

RajonRondowski
    I agree with all but two points.  He did give Ray a hug.  I have seen him slap Ray numerous times when Ray hits a shot.  The other is Paul has always passed Ray the ball.  Ray has a few game winners from Paul over the last 3 seasons.  I would say that Paul gives it to Ray a lot more than Ray gives it to Paul. If you don't believe me watch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CUT PP SOME SLACK, HAD THE FLU! : RajonRondowski I agree with all but two points.  He did give Ray a hug.  I have seen him slap Ray numerous times when Ray hits a shot.  The other is Paul has always passed Ray the ball.  Ray has a few game winners from Paul over the last 3 seasons.  I would say that Paul gives it to Ray a lot more than Ray gives it to Paul. If you don't believe me watch.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

Rondowski got it right, just like KyCeltic been telling you!!!  Open your eyes!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CUT PP SOME SLACK, HAD THE FLU! :  Rondowski got it right, just like KyCeltic been telling you!!!  Open your eyes!
    Posted by kyceltic[/QUOTE]

Go away

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CUT PP SOME SLACK, HAD THE FLU! : RajonRondowski I agree with all but two points.  He did give Ray a hug.  I have seen him slap Ray numerous times when Ray hits a shot.  The other is Paul has always passed Ray the ball.  Ray has a few game winners from Paul over the last 3 seasons.  I would say that Paul gives it to Ray a lot more than Ray gives it to Paul. If you don't believe me watch.

Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

-

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for Ray passing to Paul.

I saw all those game winners on passes from Paul to Ray -- in the last two years.

Perhaps my perception is wrong, but I thought Paul resisted passing to Ray in their first and part of their second season together.

I didn't see Paul congratulate Ray after the record, but I'm certainly glad he did.   The camera can't catch everything, and I played it back several times to see if Paul was in on the congrats, but I must have missed it.

Paul's attidude towards Ray is certainly different now then it was when they first came together, imo, and I applaud Paul for that.

The way Ray is being utilized this season, that's the way it should have been from the get-go.  Ray has always had a well rounded game, and he was not fully incorporated into the team the way he should have been till this season.