DA should base Rondo deal on Deron Williams deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

DA should base Rondo deal on Deron Williams deal

On February 23, 2011, the Utah Jazz acquired Devin HarrisDerrick FavorsNew Jersey's 2011 first-round draft pick (3rd overall pick Enas Kanter) and Golden State's 2012 first-round draft pick (top 10 protected, ended up being pick #21 in 2013 which was then traded along with Utah's own pick (14) for the Wolve's pick (9)Trey Burke) from the New Jersey Nets in exchange for Deron Williams. Utah later flipped Harris for a bigger, and younger, Marvin Williams

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

Re: DA should base Rondo deal on Deron Williams deal

In response to MrCricket's comment:

On February 23, 2011, the Utah Jazz acquired Devin HarrisDerrick FavorsNew Jersey's 2011 first-round draft pick (3rd overall pick Enas Kanter) and Golden State's 2012 first-round draft pick (top 10 protected, ended up being pick #21 in 2013 which was then traded along with Utah's own pick (14) for the Wolve's pick (9)Trey Burke) from the New Jersey Nets in exchange for Deron Williams. Utah later flipped Harris for a bigger, and younger, Marvin Williams

not today.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

That was a GREAT move by Utah who has really done a good job in their own rebuild.  Unfortunately Rondo's value, especially right now, is not close to Deron's value then.  I think DW is grossly overrated personally due to the fact that he makes his teammates worse, not better. But it is what it is.

Secondly I would be interested to see if there is even a team out there right now that has a nice young prospect and two consecutive first round picks, and would be willing to part with them. They would have to be a team that thinks Rondo would put them over the top in order to part with that package.  And a team giving up thier first round pick in this ridiculously over hyped draft is another tough sell.

It could work at the trade deadline but only if Rondo comes back and dominates, AND some young team out there grossly overacheives and decides they can be in the mix with an all star PG.  

If he goes I think we'll get back a decent but not star quality youngster, and a 1st but not in 2014, prob 15 or '16.  Personally I hope he stays, but he really doesn't work out with the current long term plan of sucking that the Celts are implementing. 

Remember, OKC is probably the best model out there for a team that built through the draft.  3 perfect drafts in a row (Durant, Harden, Westbrook, and throw in Ibaka) and it still took them 3 years to get out of the lottery and 5 years to be a contender, and now they are worse then they were 2 years ago.  Rondo isn't wasting his prime years on a 5 year min. rebuild. And he shouldn't have to.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to hops29's comment:

That was a GREAT move by Utah who has really done a good job in their own rebuild.  Unfortunately Rondo's value, especially right now, is not close to Deron's value then.  I think DW is grossly overrated personally due to the fact that he makes his teammates worse, not better. But it is what it is.

Secondly I would be interested to see if there is even a team out there right now that has a nice young prospect and two consecutive first round picks, and would be willing to part with them. They would have to be a team that thinks Rondo would put them over the top in order to part with that package.  And a team giving up thier first round pick in this ridiculously over hyped draft is another tough sell.

It could work at the trade deadline but only if Rondo comes back and dominates, AND some young team out there grossly overacheives and decides they can be in the mix with an all star PG.  

If he goes I think we'll get back a decent but not star quality youngster, and a 1st but not in 2014, prob 15 or '16.  Personally I hope he stays, but he really doesn't work out with the current long term plan of sucking that the Celts are implementing. 

Remember, OKC is probably the best model out there for a team that built through the draft.  3 perfect drafts in a row (Durant, Harden, Westbrook, and throw in Ibaka) and it still took them 3 years to get out of the lottery and 5 years to be a contender, and now they are worse then they were 2 years ago.  Rondo isn't wasting his prime years on a 5 year min. rebuild. And he shouldn't have to.

I think the two above bolded statements are more connected than you may think. Rondo is going to have a HUGE chip on his shoulder, especially with all the praise that PP and KG have been giving DW.

I imagine Rondo tearing Dwill apart at every matchup this year. I think in the back of his mind, one clear goal for Rondo is to beat out DWill for an allstar position., whether thats beat him out to make the team or beat him out to make the starting PG.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think the two above bolded statements are more connected than you may think. Rondo is going to have a HUGE chip on his shoulder, especially with all the praise that PP and KG have been giving DW.

I imagine Rondo tearing Dwill apart at every matchup this year. I think in the back of his mind, one clear goal for Rondo is to beat out DWill for an allstar position., whether thats beat him out to make the team or beat him out to make the starting PG.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I can absolutely see Rondo coming back and being a Tasmanian Devil on the court.  He should be spitting fire with the way the media and some fans have treated him.  

That still doesn't take away from the fact that there are more good to great point guards out there than any other position right now, and that he doesn't deserve to languish on a team that is going to be bad for the foreseeable future.

I really believe the Celts brass just want to save themselves some cash and rebuild through the draft.  Even though that is a viable and effective way to go, it will take more time than Rondo has as an elite player.

I mean they signed Faverani, An undrafted stiff who doesn't even start on his Fn Spanish League team to a 3 YEAR DEAL!!!!   If that doesn't scream TANK I don't know what does.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

With all the young guys on this team mixed in with Sully,Green,Bradley and Rondo, they are not a lottery team! Rondo alone would will them to 20 wins! The Celtics are not going to be the half court team we've seen over the last 5 years, Rondo wants to run and wanted to run teams out of the gym when they had KG,PP and RA, unfortunately none of those guys had enough oxygen in the tank to run for a whole season. With the addition of the Brazillian and Olynyk they have the young legs which will allow them to Run. Right now they are an 8th seed lets see how they progress before handing them the lottery pick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

An aging Rondo with  the chip  STILL on his shoulder.

Pud

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

Charlotte owns Portland's #1 pick which is top 12 protected in 2014-15 and unprotected in 2016. they also own Detroit's #1 pick which is top 8 protected in 2014, top 1 protected in 2015, and unprotected in 2016.

Utah also owns Golden State's 1st round picks in 2014 and 2017. 

on a lesser note, OKC owns Dallas' #1 pick which is top 20 protected in 2014-17 and unprotected in 2018. maybe they would take back Jeff Green with Courtney Lee or Brandon Bass for Perkins, Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones, and Dallas' #1.

10. This post has been removed.