Danny Ainge Needs to Quit Making Excuses About the Kendrick Perkins Trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Danny Ainge Needs to Quit Making Excuses About the Kendrick Perkins Trade

by Liam Martin/NESN:
    Ever hear the story of the time Danny Ainge bit former Atlanta Hawks center Tree Rollins?

If so, whoever told you the story got it wrong. Truth is, Rollins bit Ainge. The two had an altercation during a 1983 playoff game, Ainge tackled Rollins, and Rollins bit him on the finger in return. The famous "Tree Bites Man" headline ensued.

But Ainge somehow got the bad wrap. Given his get-under-your-skin style of play, folks began to believe the Celtics guard was the culprit.

"I know a lot of it comes from my personality," Ainge told Sports Illustrated in 1985. "I was booed in high school and college. I’ve just always showed a lot of emotion and played aggressively. Everywhere I go, people think I'm the dirty little guy who bit Tree Rollins' finger"

Twenty-six years later, as president of the Celtics, the Brigham Young University alum hasn't changed much. He’s aggressive, red-faced when things go badly for the C's and super-competitive. Some might even call him arrogant.

It's no surprise, then, that in the wake of Boston’s second-round exit from the postseason, Ainge has been on the offensive, hoping to preemptively strike down criticism of the much-maligned Kendrick Perkins trade.

Of course, it's a lofty goal. Boston sports fans and media alike (www.nesn.com/2011/02/how-the-celtics-can-still-win-without-kendrick-perkins.html" target="_blank">including yours truly) have been ripping Ainge for the trade since Feb. 24, the day it happened.

But read between the lines of Ainge’s quotes over the past three months, and you’ll notice just about everything he says is a thinly veiled defense of perhaps his biggest blunder since tackling Tree Rollins.

Feb. 24: Snuff out the criticism before it begins
    "I think he can play the 4 and play the 3," Ainge told WEEI of newly acquired Jeff Green. "He defends multiple positions. He can shoot the 3-ball. He can post up smaller guys. He's a terrific passer. He brings length and athleticism to the team. And he brings a lot of athleticism -- he brings scoring, passing, intelligence, experience, energy, youth and athleticism all in one package."

March 7: Stem the growing tide of criticism
    "I think we're stronger," he told SI -- right before the C's http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/dan_shaughnessy/03/07/ainge/index.html?eref=twitter_feed" target="_blank">went on a 10-11 tear to end the regular season. "I think our offense and our defense will be every bit as good, if not better, as long as we get some bodies healthy."

April 16: Use hyperbole to throw folks off the scent
    "I think we’re really good," he told reporters just ahead of the playoffs. "I think we're the best team we've had in a while."

But what about the dismal 10-11 finish to the regular season? "I felt like our guys were not playing as hard, and pacing themselves a little bit."

May 15: The ‘Oh crap, what do I say now?’ defense
    "I don't think we played as well as we were capable of playing, but in my opinion, it’s not because we didn’t have someone setting screens, because we did have some people setting screens," Ainge told ESPN after Boston bowed out in Game 5. "It's not because of our interior defense. I think it had a lot more to do with our ability to score down the stretch of games. And we thought we improved that by making the trade."

To be fair to Ainge, the C's did suffer some misfortune down the stretch. Who could've known that Dwyane Wade would throw Rajon Rondo to the ground (and not receive a flagrant for it)? Or that the referees in Game 2 would award 15 free throws to the Heat in the deciding final five minutes of the game? Or that Glen Davis would do the "Magic Man" this postseason -- now you see me, now you don't.

But there were plenty of other problems that any casual Celtics fan could have predicted. Shaquille O’Neal playing 12 minutes in the entire playoffs (I was expecting more like zero minutes). Green buckling under the pressure in his first tough series playing for a storied franchise. The Heat getting to the rim without trouble whenever Jermaine O'Neal had to sit (which was often, because of his aging, achy body).

Ainge made a move for the future when the Celtics were very much a team built (by Ainge) for the present. Trading Perk under the rationale that Shaq or Jermaine could take his place was just shy of insanity.

And perhaps the most obvious point was the one Ainge never considered, or at least didn't give enough weight -- the impact the trade would have on the simplest, yet most profound, assets of the Celtics: chemistry and mental toughness.

After trading Kendrick Perkins, Boston lacked both. Heck, even the head coach said as much.

"I would wait until after the year was over. I’ll put it that way," Doc Rivers told WEEI on Monday. "Making that trade at the time we made that trade -- that made it very tough for us. And not only that, we added other pieces, as well, that we tried to fit in, so it was just a lot of moving parts to a team that -- the advantage that we had was that we had continuity, everybody else was new.

"Chicago was new, and the Heat were new. They couldn't fall back on what we could fall back on with our starting five, and once we made that trade, we took that advantage away."

So Danny, if you don't think all the flack you’re getting from the fans and media is worthwhile, at least take it from your head coach -- the guy you just handed $35 million.

Learn to live with the fact that this trade will go down in Boston sports infamy. Stop making excuses for it, and focus on getting the team a center who can perhaps fill Perkins' empty shoes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

Re: Danny Ainge Needs to Quit Making Excuses About the Kendrick Perkins Trade

we're old. perk would have made no difference. get over it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from larry1717. Show larry1717's posts

KaKfug---I do not know how old you are, but I do know that Perk is relatively young and I agree with everything written by Mr. Bump!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Perk in an OKC uniform is an advertisement for why he was traded.  He will be a bench player the rest of his career and don't think the Thunder is not throwing up thinking about having to pay such an expensive bench player no one in the NBA will want.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

In Response to Re: Danny Ainge Needs to Quit Making Excuses About the Kendrick Perkins Trade:
    [QUOTE]Perk in an OKC uniform is an advertisement for why he was traded.  He will be a bench player the rest of his career and don't think the Thunder is not throwing up thinking about having to pay such an expensive bench player no one in the NBA will want.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!! All you guys saying differently don't know bball. You can write as long a post as you want but the fact remains that Perk is an extremely limited player....slow, no hands, no lateral quickness, no hops, cant shoot....tough yeah but thats it.....end of freakin story.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Many of you miss the original point.  Its not that Perkins himself is such a valuable asset.  Its that CHANGE in the middle of the season was wrong.  Doc is right - do the trade at the end of the season.  We don't need to keep Perk.....we just didn't need to deal with incorporating new players into plays and trying to work them in as well as having no center - betting on an old 350lb guy who is always injured + another old guy who was on crutches at the time + an old Euro player who is like all Euro players (great shooters as big guys, terribly weak on rebounds and no defense).

That caused people not to know plays, not to know defensive rotations, disrupted BBD's role and comfort, etc, etc.   

I think the trade was a good one for our long term future.  Like Doc, however, I wish he had done it AFTER the season so that we could have kept the team together than knew each other well and played well together.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Let it go dude really let it go give it a year and you'll see. Oh and put down the pipe.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Danny Ainge Needs to Quit Making Excuses About the Kendrick Perkins Trade:
    [QUOTE]by Liam Martin/NESN: Ever hear the story of the time Danny Ainge bit former Atlanta Hawks center Tree Rollins ? If so, whoever told you the story got it wrong. Truth is, Rollins bit Ainge. The two had an altercation during a 1983 playoff game, Ainge tackled Rollins, and Rollins bit him on the finger in return. The famous "Tree Bites Man" headline ensued. But Ainge somehow got the bad wrap. Given his get-under-your-skin style of play, folks began to believe the 
    Posted by Mr.Bump[/QUOTE]never counted on his high-priced doctors being so wrong on shaq. doc and da have both said they believed shaq would be back at the worse within a week! we all know how that played out. chemistry my butttt. a healthy shaq would have solved all of our chemistry issues as he did the whole while perky was recovering. give me a break! sometimes s-h-i-t just happens! murphy's law was in full effect. are we better off going forward without perky? even his mom would agree after watching everyone attack the paint and tyson chandler and the likes of brandon haywood dominate him with one on one moves under the paint as he is as immobile and mechanical as ever on his inside moves. also quis getting hurt did not help things. give me a healthy quis and shaq with even without perk and we may still be playing right now. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: Danny Ainge Needs to Quit Making Excuses About the Kendrick Perkins Trade:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Danny Ainge Needs to Quit Making Excuses About the Kendrick Perkins Trade : never counted on his high-priced doctors being so wrong on shaq. doc and da have both said they believed shaq would be back at the worse within a week! we all know how that played out. chemistry my butttt. a healthy shaq would have solved all of our chemistry issues as he did the whole while perky was recovering. give me a break! sometimes s-h-i-t just happens! murphy's law was in full effect. are we better off going forward without perky? even his mom would agree after watching everyone attack the paint and tyson chandler and the likes of brandon haywood dominate him with one on one moves under the paint as he is as immobile and mechanical as ever on his inside moves. 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head.

I can understand having so many players coming & going with like 25 games left in the season being a bit weird. For Doc to come out and say it publicly (basically pointing the finger at DA) demonstrates that.

BUt for those that feel had we held on to Perk and not made that one particular trade, we would have gone much futher in the playoffs.... well, I couldnt disagree more.

Whatever Perk did for us prior to his injury, basically setting illegalpicks (some legal, many illegal, getting T's, occassionally rebounding and playing some good defense agasint a few NBA centers ...

Basically Perk built his reputation off of KGs back imo..

Today, for anyone watching him play (as opposed to reading accounts of how tough he is etc) realizes hes a total bust. No other way to say it.  Perhaps his knee injury is playing a part in his poor performances and he'll improve next season... but thats got nothing to do with him today. Today, hes got to be a nightmare signing for OKC

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bramrok. Show bramrok's posts

we talk about trades that are good for both teams; this was a trade that was bad for both teams. the celtics were better with perkins because of togetherness and chemistry; green was not good enough to adapt to a new situation, and perkins does not have the talent to help a new team

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Danny Ainge Needs to Quit Making Excuses About the Kendrick Perkins Trade : HAHAHA!!! How can you trade Perk after the season when he was about to become a free-agent? If Perk were to remain a Celtic until the end of the season then OKC would just sign Perk to a contract, no need to give the Celts Jeff Green and a top 10 1st round pick.  
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]
    That's what I didn't get about this trade.  As old as the Celtic's big 3 are, their window was not open that much.  I felt any trade done should have been about this past year, and not about the future.  DA tried to have it both ways.  I believe this trade did not help us this year.  Maybe we'll be better for it over the next few years, but as far as the Perk trade putting us over the top this year, nope.
    If Shaq had recovered, it may have been the trade we needed, but he didn't and we did miss Perk's interior presence and familiarity with the Celtic system at the end of the season and against the Heat.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Danny Ainge Needs to Quit Making Excuses About the Kendrick Perkins Trade:
    [QUOTE]by Liam Martin/NESN: Ever hear the story of the time Danny Ainge bit former Atlanta Hawks center Tree Rollins ? If so, whoever told you the story got it wrong. Truth is, Rollins bit Ainge. The two had an altercation during a 1983 playoff game, Ainge tackled Rollins, and Rollins bit him on the finger in return. The famous "Tree Bites Man" headline ensued. But Ainge somehow got the bad wrap. Given his get-under-your-skin style of play, folks began to believe the Celtics guard was the culprit. "I know a lot of it comes from my personality," Ainge told Sports Illustrated in 1985 . "I was booed in high school and college. I’ve just always showed a lot of emotion and played aggressively. Everywhere I go, people think I'm the dirty little guy who bit Tree Rollins' finger" Twenty-six years later, as president of the Celtics, the Brigham Young University alum hasn't changed much. He’s aggressive, red-faced when things go badly for the C's and super-competitive. Some might even call him arrogant. It's no surprise, then, that in the wake of Boston’s second-round exit from the postseason, Ainge has been on the offensive, hoping to preemptively strike down criticism of the much-maligned Kendrick Perkins trade. Of course, it's a lofty goal. Boston sports fans and media alike ( www.nesn.com/2011/02/how-the-celtics-can-still-win-without-kendrick-perkins.html " target="_blank" /> including yours truly ) have been ripping Ainge for the trade since Feb. 24, the day it happened. But read between the lines of Ainge’s quotes over the past three months, and you’ll notice just about everything he says is a thinly veiled defense of perhaps his biggest blunder since tackling Tree Rollins. Feb. 24: Snuff out the criticism before it begins "I think he can play the 4 and play the 3," Ainge told WEEI of newly acquired Jeff Green . "He defends multiple positions. He can shoot the 3-ball. He can post up smaller guys. He's a terrific passer. He brings length and athleticism to the team. And he brings a lot of athleticism -- he brings scoring, passing, intelligence, experience, energy, youth and athleticism all in one package." March 7: Stem the growing tide of criticism "I think we're stronger," he told SI -- right before the C's http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/dan_shaughnessy/03/07/ainge/index.html?eref=twitter_feed " target="_blank"> went on a 10-11 tear to end the regular season. "I think our offense and our defense will be every bit as good, if not better, as long as we get some bodies healthy." April 16: Use hyperbole to throw folks off the scent "I think we’re really good," he told reporters just ahead of the playoffs . "I think we're the best team we've had in a while." But what about the dismal 10-11 finish to the regular season? "I felt like our guys were not playing as hard, and pacing themselves a little bit." May 15: The ‘Oh crap, what do I say now?’ defense "I don't think we played as well as we were capable of playing, but in my opinion, it’s not because we didn’t have someone setting screens, because we did have some people setting screens," Ainge told ESPN after Boston bowed out in Game 5 . "It's not because of our interior defense. I think it had a lot more to do with our ability to score down the stretch of games. And we thought we improved that by making the trade." To be fair to Ainge, the C's did suffer some misfortune down the stretch. Who could've known that Dwyane Wade would throw Rajon Rondo to the ground (and not receive a flagrant for it)? Or that the referees in Game 2 would award 15 free throws to the Heat in the deciding final five minutes of the game? Or that Glen Davis would do the "Magic Man" this postseason -- now you see me, now you don't. But there were plenty of other problems that any casual Celtics fan could have predicted. Shaquille O’Neal playing 12 minutes in the entire playoffs (I was expecting more like zero minutes). Green buckling under the pressure in his first tough series playing for a storied franchise. The Heat getting to the rim without trouble whenever Jermaine O'Neal had to sit (which was often, because of his aging, achy body). Ainge made a move for the future when the Celtics were very much a team built (by Ainge) for the present. Trading Perk under the rationale that Shaq or Jermaine could take his place was just shy of insanity. And perhaps the most obvious point was the one Ainge never considered, or at least didn't give enough weight -- the impact the trade would have on the simplest, yet most profound, assets of the Celtics: chemistry and mental toughness. After trading Kendrick Perkins, Boston lacked both. Heck, even the head coach said as much. "I would wait until after the year was over. I’ll put it that way," Doc Rivers told WEEI on Monday. "Making that trade at the time we made that trade -- that made it very tough for us. And not only that, we added other pieces, as well, that we tried to fit in, so it was just a lot of moving parts to a team that -- the advantage that we had was that we had continuity, everybody else was new. "Chicago was new, and the Heat were new. They couldn't fall back on what we could fall back on with our starting five, and once we made that trade, we took that advantage away." So Danny, if you don't think all the flack you’re getting from the fans and media is worthwhile, at least take it from your head coach -- the guy you just handed $35 million. Learn to live with the fact that this trade will go down in Boston sports infamy. Stop making excuses for it, and focus on getting the team a center who can perhaps fill Perkins' empty shoes.
    Posted by Mr.Bump[/QUOTE]

Had Shaq been healthy they would still be playing.  I love people splicing Ainge's comments so that it supports their side of the trade.  Danny prefaced all his comments by saying that he, Doc, the staff, the medical staff all thought that Shaq's injury was a minor one and that he would be back within a few days, a week, or two weeks at the most and that was what made him think the trade was viable.

p.s. the Heat series was over before Rondo got hurt but of course on BDC it will go down in history as the reason the Cs did not win #18 this year (that and of course the refs).  Just like in 2010 Perk's injury cost them title because of his rugged defense blah blah blah - so he was continually abused by Gasol and Bynum (who himself was probably at 30%) throughout the first 6 games but Perk would have made the difference in game 7.... lmao....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Dear Lord:  Thank You for the Perkins Trade.  I guess you knew he had nothng left, except the mouth.  That still works.

I know you checked Basket-ball Reference and saw that Perk was a SYSTEM success.  That he wasn't going to improve, so you saved the Celtics from financial ruin.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/perkike01.html

Just check the Advanced Playoff Stats.  Perk has gone down, as the Big 3 aged, and couldn't cover for him.

He is having his worst playoff ever.  He can't even Rebound.  OUCH!

Thanks Danny for saving us from this sad tale. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from larry1717. Show larry1717's posts

Can any of you name one player personnel move that DA has made since the 08 Championship season that has truly paid off for the Celtics?  I know I can not.  Dudder---Please name one!  Capt Chris---Please name one!  Contrarion--Please name one!   Anyone else--Please name one!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCardinal. Show TheCardinal's posts

"Many of you miss the original point.  Its not that Perkins himself is such a valuable asset.  Its that CHANGE in the middle of the season was wrong."

Have y'all forgotten that at the time Perk was traded, Perk was injured, Shaq was injured, Jermaine was injured, Von Wafer was injured, Semih was injured,  Nate was injured,  West was injured, Baby was hobbling, and Rondo was guttin' it out?!! We would have had no bench players for about three weeks if the trades and mid-year signings had not been made!  A deal had to be made somehow, someway, and thank goodness Danny was able to do so in way that provided us with a decent center and pretty darn good wing in return for an already-over-the-hill "young" guy! 

Perk was never super atthletic to begin with, but y'all forget the guy has had a history of pretty serious injuries - shoulder separations, etc..., and I believe he peaked - both physically and skill-wise - around 2008 - 2009.  

Had the roster moves not been made, we probably would have ended up a 6 seed simply because of the lack of bodies and the fatigue factor, and never would have gotten past the first round.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Larry:  Getting rid of Perkins ranks as # 1.  Reason?  Now we have flexability because we have several more chips to make moves.

If we had kept Perk, and he walked we were up the creek.  Now we can keep Green and Krystic or move them to get what we neeed.

Need is athletic players who can score.  Look at Chicago.  Not short of "D", but real short of shooters.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Danny Ainge Needs to Quit Making Excuses About the Kendrick Perkins Trade : HAHAHA!!! How can you trade Perk after the season when he was about to become a free-agent? If Perk were to remain a Celtic until the end of the season then OKC would just sign Perk to a contract, no need to give the Celts Jeff Green and a top 10 1st round pick.  
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]It's exactly the same case with Jeff Green. The Thunder were not going to re-sign him since he had refused a contract extension. He's also a free agent like Perk. The Celtics can pursue him and sign him to a contract.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

[QUOTE]Larry:  Getting rid of Perkins ranks as # 1.  Reason?  Now we have flexability because we have several more chips to make moves. If we had kept Perk, and he walked we were up the creek.  Now we can keep Green and Krystic or move them to get what we neeed. Need is athletic players who can score.  Look at Chicago.  Not short of "D", but real short of shooters.
    Posted by CaptChris[/QUOTE]How do we move players who are free agents and not under contract? The only asset we effectively acquired from the trade is a lottery protected pick in 2012.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Its called a sign and trade, my man.  Ever heard of that?  Its done all the time.  
    Player and the team win:  The team signs him for more than anyone else could so the player agrees because he gets more money that way.  The team likes it because they get to get something in return rather than him walking.

Try to understand the rules, buddy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]"Many of you miss the original point.  Its not that Perkins himself is such a valuable asset.  Its that CHANGE in the middle of the season was wrong." Have y'all forgotten that at the time Perk was traded, Perk was injured, Shaq was injured, Jermaine was injured, Von Wafer was injured, Semih was injured,  Nate was injured,  West was injured, Baby was hobbling, and Rondo was guttin' it out?!! We would have had no bench players for about three weeks if the trades and mid-year signings had not been made!  A deal had to be made somehow, someway, and thank goodness Danny was able to do so in way that provided us with a decent center and pretty darn good wing in return for an already-over-the-hill "young" guy!  Perk was never super atthletic to begin with, but y'all forget the guy has had a history of pretty serious injuries - shoulder separations, etc..., and I believe he peaked - both physically and skill-wise - around 2008 - 2009.   Had the roster moves not been made, we probably would have ended up a 6 seed simply because of the lack of bodies and the fatigue factor, and never would have gotten past the first round.
    Posted by TheCardinal[/QUOTE]

Wrong.  Sasha, Arroyo, and Murphy came without having to trade Perk.  They were released and we picked them up.  Perk was a minor injury as you can see and he would have been back in 2 weeks.   Other trades around the league would have been available, as well.

Again - I'm not arguing the Perk is the greatest player.  I'm just saying we didn't have to be that desperate.....we could have done a sign and trade with Perk after the season.  Perk and Semih would have been better than Krstic alone (which is what we had at the center position).