Danny blew up a 1st place team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bertie-wooster2. Show bertie-wooster2's posts

Danny blew up a 1st place team

I have never felt good about the Perkins trade. And my fears about the team have been confirmed as of late.

The C's lost some of their toughness and defensive prowess. Danny overlooked team chemistry and the things Perk did. Perk set great picks, intimidated those who came into the lane, played physical with the best centers in the league. He rounded out the balance of the starting 5 and added to the persona of the team. The starting 5 never lost a series and they believed they couldn't be beat. Moreover, he had the backs of the big 4.

All of this undervalued by Danny.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

Re: Danny blew up a 1st place team

we were great all year without perk. he set great picks?? seriously? how many moving picks did he set the past 4 seasons?? followed by how many angry outbursts for being called on it? followed by how many techs? we are a more talented team now than before the trades. if rondo and the rest can't see that, then i'll happily wish rondo the best in miami next year. their big 3 should be able to carry him for a few more years. although, honestly, if i was miami or any other team, i'd be wary of giving up too much for a guy like rondo. i think he needs to get the number of west's shrink.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

In Response to Re: Danny blew up a 1st place team:
    [QUOTE]we were great all year without perk. he set great picks?? seriously? how many moving picks did he set the past 4 seasons?? followed by how many angry outbursts for being called on it? followed by how many techs? we are a more talented team now than before the trades. if rondo and the rest can't see that, then i'll happily wish rondo the best in miami next year. their big 3 should be able to carry him for a few more years. although, honestly, if i was miami or any other team, i'd be wary of giving up too much for a guy like rondo. i think he needs to get the number of west's shrink.
    Posted by kaktug[/QUOTE]

No Rico, this is a great post!!! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Danny blew up a 1st place team:
    [QUOTE]I have never felt good about the Perkins trade. And my fears about the team have been confirmed as of late. The C's lost some of their toughness and defensive prowess. Danny overlooked team chemistry and the things Perk did. Perk set great picks, intimidated those who came into the lane, played physical with the best centers in the league. He rounded out the balance of the starting 5 and added to the persona of the team. The starting 5 never lost a series and they believed they couldn't be beat. Moreover, he had the backs of the big 4. All of this undervalued by Danny.
    Posted by bertie-wooster2[/QUOTE]

Interesting.... especially since their defense is better and their offense has gone into the s hitter......  setting great (moving) picks, having stone hands, kicking the ball out of bounds, complaining on every foul, missing most free throws, having no skills, causing 3 second violations, being in constant foul trouble, and leading the league in technicals, etc.

The starting 5 never lost a series however if you traded out any number of players for the point guard and the center you would still be able to say the same thing.....  p.s. has Bynum been healthy the Cs would have lost the finals in 5 instead of 7 and Perk would have never been injured and... drum roll please..... the starting 5 would have lost the finals in 5.....

excuses are like a holes, everyone has one....

Danny blew up a first place team?  Last year he had a 4th place team......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Danny blew up a 1st place team : Interesting.... especially since their defense is better and their offense has gone into the s hitter......  setting great (moving) picks, having stone hands, kicking the ball out of bounds, complaining on every foul, missing most free throws, having no skills, causing 3 second violations, being in constant foul trouble, and leading the league in technicals, etc. The starting 5 never lost a series however if you traded out any number of players for the point guard and the center you would still be able to say the same thing.....  p.s. has Bynum been healthy the Cs would have lost the finals in 5 instead of 7 and Perk would have never been injured and... drum roll please..... the starting 5 would have lost the finals in 5..... excuses are like a holes, everyone has one.... Danny blew up a first place team?  Last year he had a 4th place team......
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

Dudder, You are complaining about everything that made him good! The missed free throws , occasional clumsy picks, bad temper are ALL by products of a physically intimidating presence.
    Can a tank be as swift as a race car? No!
    The question is, do you want to be in a race car or a tank when the s hit hits the fan?

Kristic and Murph, on paper they are sexy race cars. Only problem is, we are trying to prepare for war!

Shaq is our only tank, but he's too old to be reliable. He has no control over nature.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Danny blew up a 1st place team : Dudder, You are complaining about everything that made him good! The missed free throws , occasional clumsy picks, bad temper are ALL by products of a physically intimidating presence. Can a tank be as swift as a race car? No! The question is, do you want to be in a race car or a tank when the s hit hits the fan? Kristic and Murph, on paper they are sexy race cars. Only problem is, we are trying to prepare for war! Shaq is our only tank, but he's too old to be reliable. He has no control over nature.
    Posted by DaCeltics[/QUOTE]

Problem - Offense, Not a Problem - Defense... Perk - irrelevant.......

Stop the nonsence.....  Imagine Tom Brady in the following conversation,,,,,'

Before we traded Wilfork we scored 30 ppg and since the trade we score only 20 ppg.... before the trade we gave up 23 ppg and since the trade we give up 23 ppg......  Wilfork?  Irrelevant    Perk Irrelevant.......

How can a team that has always had gigantic offensive problems lose a player that has not played all year and while playing is at best nothing more than an overrated defensive player cause the problems that the team has had offensively since that player left?

There is absolutely no logic in this commentary.

You are an opponent of the Cs and your thought process goes something like this - they play us 3 against 5 with Rondo and Perk being completely irrelevant on the offensive end and they score 99 points, now that Perk is gone they play us 4 against 5 because we have added Shaq... and now after the trade... the offense s ucks and the defense is no worse off.....

Using your logic Perk was Kareem and that they have unraveled at the offensive end when in reality the defense is no worse but the offense is a lot worse... maybe it is because since Doc asked / axed Rondo to start going to the hole, making freebies, and making jumpers Rondo has shot 35% from the field, 8 points per game, 9 assists per game, made zero % of his 3s, and had only two games where he shot over 50% from the line with many games where he not only did not take any 3s or freebies he did not make any of them either......  having a pathetic and overrated point guard may have something to do with having a pathetic offense which is the real reason they cannot win against bad teams......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]we were great all year without perk. he set great picks?? seriously? how many moving picks did he set the past 4 seasons?? followed by how many angry outbursts for being called on it? followed by how many techs? we are a more talented team now than before the trades. if rondo and the rest can't see that, then i'll happily wish rondo the best in miami next year. their big 3 should be able to carry him for a few more years. although, honestly, if i was miami or any other team, i'd be wary of giving up too much for a guy like rondo. i think he needs to get the number of west's shrink.
    Posted by kaktug[/QUOTE]

if that number (moving picks) does not exceed 400 then i'll eat a garage mechanic's shirt.  perkins RUINED our credibility with the refs, which if you actually watch basketball, we have HAD credibility with the refs this year.  perkins, like rondo, was allowed to become out of control with his game- verbal abuse of the refs.

nobody stepped in and said stop it or you sit down.  it cost us more than most of you will ever realize. 

moving picks, stone hands, cement block feet, no finishing ability from 3 feet and in, brickmaster free throw shooter, and league leader in domestic violence against referees. 

don't get me wrong- the guy was good at one thing- being tough, and grinding people around.  but after watching duhwhite howard get off on us last year like never before, I wondered to myself what does perk really do that helps us if he can't keep control of howard?  that was the ONE thing he was really good at.

we got the pieces in return to be at least a good as if not BETTER team.  danny has not used jeff green nearly enough.  krstic is a solid skilled big man and should be an automatic 12 and 6 to 12 and 8 a night- more than perkins ever did.

toughness has to be picked up by shak and davis.  shak at age 390 is at least as tough as perkins was. 

the job that has been fumbled is integrating new pieces post trade.  krstic has done well but jeff green should be a 30 minute a night guy.  he's been 20 or less. 

and there is no way that the floor general of this team should be allowed to sulk around for WEEKS after a trade that made this team better.  doc rivers, wake up and do your job, it's not to late to inject some competence.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The issue isn't the absence of Perkins - he was missing for most of the season.  The issue is integrating all of the new players on the offensive end.

It looks to me like the focus for the new players has been learning the defense.  The offense will come.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]The issue isn't the absence of Perkins - he was missing for most of the season.  The issue is integrating all of the new players on the offensive end. It looks to me like the focus for the new players has been learning the defense.  The offense will come.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Good observation.  I do think they miss Perk, but games like last night were not about Perk.  He wouldn't be in the game and he didn't contribute in 4h quarter offense at all.  This is about a set of players who are struggling right now and everyone in the NBA goes through it.   Lakers had it earlier this year.  miami had it earlier this year.  We have it now.  Its life in the NBA.  And.....its not over.  We have a tough stretch of road games with back to backs + Miami, SA, and Chicago on the road.   It will be a while before they get that mental and physical rest + time for practice before the playoffs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbrr7. Show paulbrr7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Danny blew up a 1st place team : No Rico, this is a great post!!! 
    Posted by CASox[/QUOTE]

No CaSox this is a ridiculous post!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbrr7. Show paulbrr7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Danny blew up a 1st place team : Dudder, You are complaining about everything that made him good! The missed free throws , occasional clumsy picks, bad temper are ALL by products of a physically intimidating presence. Can a tank be as swift as a race car? No! The question is, do you want to be in a race car or a tank when the s hit hits the fan? Kristic and Murph, on paper they are sexy race cars. Only problem is, we are trying to prepare for war! Shaq is our only tank, but he's too old to be reliable. He has no control over nature.
    Posted by DaCeltics[/QUOTE]

If it's a race to the finish I'll go with the sexy car and enjoy the ride. But have fun on that tank!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Danny blew up a 1st place team : Good observation.  I do think they miss Perk, but games like last night were not about Perk.  He wouldn't be in the game and he didn't contribute in 4h quarter offense at all.  This is about a set of players who are struggling right now and everyone in the NBA goes through it.   Lakers had it earlier this year.  miami had it earlier this year.  We have it now.  Its life in the NBA.  And.....its not over.  We have a tough stretch of road games with back to backs + Miami, SA, and Chicago on the road.   It will be a while before they get that mental and physical rest + time for practice before the playoffs.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY- a lot of these games that have been lost recently have been all about lack of focus, intensity and at times I would even venture lousy substitution patterns by Doc and mis-(under) use of the new guys.

It has nothing to with Perkins.  it's not like kwamy brown has been doing anythin against ANYONE for years and years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

Perk had his role and it was defense and toughness..  there is only one D Howard in the league the last time i checked.  He would of handled Noah and Boozer. who ever plays for the heat and if it came down to Howard ..hes not beating us by himself  and were a better team.  We are a soft team remember 08 soft Gasol and Odem  ...  wel soft Krisic and Green ..  yes green can score but soft on D 

I like the tough team we had cause we to old to out score teams

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OC-CeltsFan. Show OC-CeltsFan's posts

Just like the second half of last yeat this team is just going through the motions.  It has nothing to do with losing Perk and everything to do with lacking focus and Rondo's poor play.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Ainge trade helped us, we just need the big three to return to their normal games.  We are much better than when Perk was hurt and we were playing fine then.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bramrok. Show bramrok's posts

murphy is the worst player in the nba, period! kristic can not play defense. we lost our soul and identity when they traded away perkins. chemistry is more important than fantasy basketball stats

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from docomospur. Show docomospur's posts

Posted by kaktug[/QUOTE]

I wished we still had Perk but kaktug is right - blaming everything on the Perk trade is the easy thing to do.  The players, and coaching staff, need to man up and get their act together.

Does anyone here, for a moment, even think that we SHOULD have lost to those Grizzlies and Bobcats teams (at home, I might add) even if Perk had been out injured?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

some people just don't get it.  oh the defensive stats are better so how can it be perk?  oh krstic makes some baskets, so how can it be perk?  oh the recent games are about lack of intensity and focus?  Hmm, might that have something to do with the fact that Perk got traded thus ripping the guts out of what had been a championship caliber team?  Think Garnett and Perk knew how to play defense together?  I sure do.  Think that might have sparked some offense along the way?  I sure do. 

The only way this works out is if Shaq not only gets healthy and plays well but stays healthy and stays playing well from april to june.  I mean that would be a miracle.  When this team beat Miami 85-82 before the break would we have thought then the Celtics would need a miracle to win it all?  Know what I thought?  This team has the championship swagger back, Perk and KG in that paint, that was the core of championship unit.  Danny Ainge destroyed that core.  I don't care about the contract.  I would rather win a championship then suuck for awhile than not win a championship and maybe win a round or two over the next 5-10 years.  I mean Miami's gonna get better, Chicago's gonna get better, the time for the Celtics is RIGHT NOW, THIS YEAR. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

[QUOTE]murphy is the worst player in the nba, period! kristic can not play defense. we lost our soul and identity when they traded away perkins. chemistry is more important than fantasy basketball stats
    Posted by bramrok[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I don't know why some posters are downplaying the ill-fated Perk trade. Ever since the trade we haven't been the same. I had my concerns about Perk, but he clicked with everyone and we won a ring with him.

This team has lost its identity because of that trade, and the chemistry is screwed up. They could have waited til the offseason to trade Perk. Lets win the championship first before we start tinkering with the lineup that got us the ring in 2008, especially when the playoffs are right around the corner.

If we fail to get the championship this season, watch how the officiating becomes the scapegoat.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Mac and Wayne, you both hit the nail on the head.  yes Perks defense helped ignite their offience.  He also gave them a pysical presence the we no longer have.  For Petes sake Kwame Brown was the most physical player on the court last night. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

In Response to Danny blew up a 1st place team:
    [QUOTE]I have never felt good about the Perkins trade. And my fears about the team have been confirmed as of late. The C's lost some of their toughness and defensive prowess. Danny overlooked team chemistry and the things Perk did. Perk set great picks, intimidated those who came into the lane, played physical with the best centers in the league. He rounded out the balance of the starting 5 and added to the persona of the team. The starting 5 never lost a series and they believed they couldn't be beat. Moreover, he had the backs of the big 4. All of this undervalued by Danny.
    Posted by bertie-wooster2[/QUOTE]

Perk was out all year with the knee, Celtics kicked butt w/o him. Now hes been traded and he is injured again, out for season. Your argument doesnt hold water. Simply put, we could still have Kendrick and Robinson, both injured and out for season OR Kristic and Green, healthy and ready.. Its difficult to understand just how Celts would be stronger with the old roster. Explain it again please?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Danny blew up a 1st place team : Perk was out all year with the knee, Celtics kicked butt w/o him. Now hes been traded and he is injured again, out for season. Your argument doesnt hold water. Simply put, we could still have Kendrick and Robinson, both injured and out for season OR Kristic and Green, healthy and ready.. Its difficult to understand just how Celts would be stronger with the old roster. Explain it again please?
    Posted by DeweyCBoston[/QUOTE]

Since when is Perk out for the season?? Where did you get that misinformation??

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

Perk was out but there was a sense of optimism, he's coming back, Shaq's giving us yeoman's work in his absence, man imagine Perk and Shaq?  We'll be unbeatable!  The vets playing with that optimism.  Then bang.  Perk's gone.  Uncertainty.  Chaos.  Losing.  Losing home court.  Bulls pass us.  Lakers pass us.  Heat could very well pass us.  Yes Krstic and Green are healthy...and the C's are losing and losing and losing.  That just didn't happen before.   The ones that were healthy willed us to victory.  That will seems gone lately.  Poof.  I mean they lost bad games before, but not this many this often with this much on the line. 

Perk's out for the year?  No.  He isn't.  He's healthy, the Thunder are 5-1 with him as a starter, they're peaking.  The Celtics on the other hand...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

Yall are over looking the team spirit and pride of the pre-trade celtics vs. a bunch of people trying to get to know each other and figure each other out ... meanwhile waiting and waiting and waiting on the O'neals with whom our whole playoff run relies on