Deals before July 1st

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Deals before July 1st

I expect some major deals around the league before July 1st. No one knows what the new CBA will look like and how long a lockout may last. Players will want deals done and some teams will want to dump salary so they can approach a new CBA with a different outlook.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Re: Deals before July 1st

In Response to Deals before July 1st:
    [QUOTE]I expect some major deals around the league before July 1st. No one knows what the new CBA will look like and how long a lockout may last. Players will want deals done and some teams will want to dump salary so they can approach a new CBA with a different outlook.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

With that in view the Perk trade was essential, but no fan want to think about the future when you have a championship team in hand (and we did).

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

and how many rebounds will Rudy Gay bring you, huh?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Deals before July 1st:
    [QUOTE]I expect some major deals around the league before July 1st. No one knows what the new CBA will look like and how long a lockout may last. Players will want deals done and some teams will want to dump salary so they can approach a new CBA with a different outlook.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

Interesting comments about the new CBA.  Is it going to be possible for teams to resign players when the salary cap will probably be even lower.  What happens to teams that are already close to the current cap and it is then lowered.  I am sure that this is going to be part of the negotiating process. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In Response to Re: Deals before July 1st:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Deals before July 1st : Interesting comments about the new CBA.  Is it going to be possible for teams to resign players when the salary cap will probably be even lower.  What happens to teams that are already close to the current cap and it is then lowered.  I am sure that this is going to be part of the negotiating process. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

They will have to pay the Luxury Tax unless they are able to make other trades after the new CBA is instituted. That's why a team like the C's (willing to pay the tax) can make trades now for players that fit under the current cap that may not under a new cap.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deals before July 1st : They will have to pay the Luxury Tax unless they are able to make other trades after the new CBA is instituted. That's why a team like the C's (willing to pay the tax) can make trades now for players that fit under the current cap that may not under a new cap.
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

The current cap is a soft cap at about $58million - it allows teams to pay its own players whatever they want to but cannot add players (other than through the exceptions, e.g. MLE) once they are over the cap.  They then pay a luxury tax above $72 million (don't hold me to that).  So the Cs are into the luxury tax as are many of the best teams (that is why they are the best!!!).  What has been floated in the media is that the new cap will not be lower at about $58 million but it will be a hard cap, i.e. you simply cannot go over that number without ridding yourself of players.  It is the exact situation the Bruins went through this year.  Savard and Sturm were on the injured list so their salaries didn't count toward the cap but when they came off the injured list the Bruins had to trade two players for what amounted to draft picks because they could not take salary back in the trades.

So in the new CBA, as has been painted so far, there could be a new hard cap at about $58 million (Rondo, Pierce, KG, and Ray are at about $52 million next year).  How the addition or retaining or trading of players will be grandfathered in is not clear.

What is clear is that the league is looking to cut salaries on average by about 40%.

This will have GMs taking more polished players in the draft and leaving "potential" in school longer because they will be unable carry "potential" on the bench with limited or no output from that player / salary slot.

I think the luxury tax would simply be gone because you cannot go over the cap.

When Miami can't even sell out a playoff game and you watch games and it appears that a third of the seats are empty, they simply cannot go on the way they have.

Hopefully this sheds some light on why all of these crazy Howard, Gay, Pierce, KG, Ray blah blah blah threads are simply silly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I tend to think that all the teams over the cap wouldn't want to be instantly handcuffed

As I poorly explained on another post, players will obviously be paid the same under existing contracts, but those contracts should be scaled down in terms of how they count against the hard cap

That still leaves the Celtics in tough shape, but they're not the highest salaried team next year.  The Lakers (being the team with the highest amount of existing contracts) would make sense as the common-size standard, with their contracts setting the scale for how contracts get scaled down to count against the new cap.  So the Lakers would be right at (or a little below) the new hard cap and other teams would be below it based on how their salaries compare to the Lakers.

Future contracts would count normal.  I'm not sure how it would make sense to do trades in a salary-matching environment (do you match the new scaled-down cap figure? or the old figure?  or have the option of either?)

Just an idea

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Its either that or teams will be able to "cut" 1 player per team so that their salary doesn't count to the cap, even though they still have to pay the salary....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deals before July 1st : Championship teams average at least 40 rebounds per game. When was the last time an NBA champion averaged less than 40 rebounds per game?  Why is rebounding so important? In Game 7 of last year's finals Gasol outrebounded KG 18 to 3. Enough said.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Wrong!!

All celtic fans know boston lost because of the refs....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deals before July 1st : The current cap is a soft cap at about $58million - it allows teams to pay its own players whatever they want to but cannot add players (other than through the exceptions, e.g. MLE) once they are over the cap.  They then pay a luxury tax above $72 million (don't hold me to that).  So the Cs are into the luxury tax as are many of the best teams (that is why they are the best!!!).  What has been floated in the media is that the new cap will not be lower at about $58 million but it will be a hard cap, i.e. you simply cannot go over that number without ridding yourself of players.  It is the exact situation the Bruins went through this year.  Savard and Sturm were on the injured list so their salaries didn't count toward the cap but when they came off the injured list the Bruins had to trade two players for what amounted to draft picks because they could not take salary back in the trades. So in the new CBA, as has been painted so far, there could be a new hard cap at about $58 million (Rondo, Pierce, KG, and Ray are at about $52 million next year).  How the addition or retaining or trading of players will be grandfathered in is not clear. What is clear is that the league is looking to cut salaries on average by about 40%. This will have GMs taking more polished players in the draft and leaving "potential" in school longer because they will be unable carry "potential" on the bench with limited or no output from that player / salary slot. I think the luxury tax would simply be gone because you cannot go over the cap. When Miami can't even sell out a playoff game and you watch games and it appears that a third of the seats are empty, they simply cannot go on the way they have. Hopefully this sheds some light on why all of these crazy Howard, Gay, Pierce, KG, Ray blah blah blah threads are simply silly.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

This has been floated and the owners want exactly what Dudder describes.  however, that's the starting position.  the players will have their say in this and then there will be a compromise.  You really expect the players to agree without a walkout to a hard cap of $58M when teams like LA, Boston, NY, Miami, etc are all close to that number with just the veterans they have?   That means essentially no money for all of the rest of the players and that simply won't fly.  There will be some sort of compromise and the "hard cap" will have exceptions - but not as many as there are now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deals before July 1st : Championship teams average at least 40 rebounds per game. When was the last time an NBA champion averaged less than 40 rebounds per game?  Why is rebounding so important? In Game 7 of last year's finals Gasol outrebounded KG 18 to 3. Enough said.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

So true about game 7. Kobe shot 6-24 (25%) & the team shot a miserable 32% while we shot 40%, not terrific, but better. Had we shot 50% we would have won despite the egregious disparity in foul shots and fewer rebounds but how many times can we be expected to shoot 50%. But LA won the rebounds. It's mathematically logical that winning rebound battles, wins championships. A team can shoot 25% but with twice the rebounds allowing twice the shots is as good as shooting 50% !!! Alas, another recent bit of evidence is that vs. Miami we lost the rebound battle in all the games except the one we won.

AMEN !!!

PS: and Laker Nation 32

Re: "All celtic fans know boston lost because of the refs....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!"

Would you not say that 41 foul shots to 18 and 20 of them in the 4th quarter when we were entering it with a 13 point lead was as instrumental in LA's victory as were the rebounds. The refs don't rebound but they do award foul shots !!!

Amen #2

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Our biggest move and the one that could save us, Rondo and Glen for a super power forward or tough center.  West can play point.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deals before July 1st : This has been floated and the owners want exactly what Dudder describes.  however, that's the starting position.  the players will have their say in this and then there will be a compromise.  You really expect the players to agree without a walkout to a hard cap of $58M when teams like LA, Boston, NY, Miami, etc are all close to that number with just the veterans they have?   That means essentially no money for all of the rest of the players and that simply won't fly.  There will be some sort of compromise and the "hard cap" will have exceptions - but not as many as there are now.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

There will be some sort of compromise but it will be a lock out not a walk out.  When push comes to shove what the players want will be irrelevant because day gut to have dem bit ches, da bling, da benz, da bentley, days house for days momma, etc.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

You can't use the LLE and MLE till after the new CBA is in place

You can only sign guys like Baby, Krstic and DWest to contracts of like 10-15% over the ones they had last year. Baby and west probably want more than 3.7 and 1.6 million next year.

I and others here have a lot of great ideas for sign and trades and using exp contracts of guys who may later be bought out, etc. But I'm not optimistic anything major can get done before the new CBA.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

I'm more optomistic that a semi-hard cap or a hard cap with a 2-4 year transition will ultimately be instituted. With the C's team payroll dropping to $28M the summer of 2012 they can afford to take a risk ... S&T now but only for young talent with a decent future. Vet fill ins once again with MLE, LLE and the vet minimum as in the past but this time there should be plenty of vets looking for a job after getting waived if they weren't already apart of a S&T but even then could be cut by the acquiring team.

Too many NBA teams (Miami, LA, Orl, Atl, NY) are stretched for 3-4 years and wouldn't be able to field much more than 5-8 players if a hard cap were installed effective this year or next without some transition. And if teams were grandfathered then Miami would/could dominate the NBA for another 3-4 years and it's not likely that the owners would vote in favor of something like that.

Fun times as long as your core is set and not way over the cap as of next summer ... that's how I see it anyway ... the window is open till July 1st ... GL Danny!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerFan67. Show LakerFan67's posts

J.J. Barea, point guard, Dallas Mavericks,
    Aaron Brooks, point guard, Phoenix Suns,
    Marc Gasol, center, Memphis Grizzlies,
    DeAndre Jordan, center, Clippers,
    Carl Landry, power forward, New Orleans Hornets,
    Ronnie Price, point guard, Utah Jazz,
    Sebastian Telfair, point guard, Minnesota Timberwolves.

These are all free agents and teams can actually compete for their services.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]I'm more optomistic that a semi-hard cap or a hard cap with a 2-4 year transition will ultimately be instituted. With the C's team payroll dropping to $28M the summer of 2012 they can afford to take a risk ... S&T now but only for young talent with a decent future. Vet fill ins once again with MLE, LLE and the vet minimum as in the past but this time there should be plenty of vets looking for a job after getting waived if they weren't already apart of a S&T but even then could be cut by the acquiring team. Too many NBA teams (Miami, LA, Orl, Atl, NY) are stretched for 3-4 years and wouldn't be able to field much more than 5-8 players if a hard cap were installed effective this year or next without some transition. And if teams were grandfathered then Miami would/could dominate the NBA for another 3-4 years and it's not likely that the owners would vote in favor of something like that. Fun times as long as your core is set and not way over the cap as of next summer ... that's how I see it anyway ... the window is open till July 1st ... GL Danny!

Great post, I feel the same way

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PauGasolSmells143. Show PauGasolSmells143's posts

I think the truth is we don't have any good trade assets.  The best one is Paul Pierce, and I think it would be emotionally unwise to trade him and I think it would cost Danny his job to do so, after this whole Perk thing.

Rondo for anything is at best a lateral move, and we need to look at improving our team.  Everyone else is a FA.

So, naturally, we need to look at the F.A. market.  Anything we could do in a sign and trade for Baby would be great, but he may have lowered his value to the point where we choose to resign him because no one else wants him. 

In terms of Free Agents, my eyes are on:

Deshawn Stevenson
    J.R. Smith
    Chuck Hayes
    Deandre Jordan (Likely a dream)
    Tyson Chandler (Also a dream)
    Shane Battier
    Carl Landry
    Daequan Cook (RFA)
    Greg Oden (Maybe worth the risk)
    Samuel Dalembert

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Same reason you are ... word ... Perkins

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]I'm more optomistic that a semi-hard cap or a hard cap with a 2-4 year transition will ultimately be instituted. With the C's team payroll dropping to $28M the summer of 2012 they can afford to take a risk ... S&T now but only for young talent with a decent future. Vet fill ins once again with MLE, LLE and the vet minimum as in the past but this time there should be plenty of vets looking for a job after getting waived if they weren't already apart of a S&T but even then could be cut by the acquiring team. Too many NBA teams (Miami, LA, Orl, Atl, NY) are stretched for 3-4 years and wouldn't be able to field much more than 5-8 players if a hard cap were installed effective this year or next without some transition. And if teams were grandfathered then Miami would/could dominate the NBA for another 3-4 years and it's not likely that the owners would vote in favor of something like that. Fun times as long as your core is set and not way over the cap as of next summer ... that's how I see it anyway ... the window is open till July 1st ... GL Danny!

Great post and this is a good scenario of what will eventually happen.